• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Richard Hinds with an excellent column as usual

Somehow, through a prism of hate and insecurity, the 13 year-old girl who had called Goodes an "ape" became a victim. The supposed subject of belligerent bullying by the "PC crowd". Merely a gormless girl whose words were born of ignorance rather than malevolence. Which made her a convenient martyr for those whose actions are far more sinister.
This was not a dog whistle, but a vicious bark. The reaction of the thankfully dwindling and marginalised few who feel threatened and disempowered by even the minimal expectations of a more tolerant society. Those who find even small changes in acceptable language and behaviour towards indigenous Australians somehow demeaning. As if their smug intolerance and historical contortions do not demean them already.

More importantly #teamNewVegas

markot

Banned
Only a creationists use the word ape as an insult! She is probably home schooled too!

Home come I cant have, on my computers, White dvi x 2 moniters + 1 displayport hdmi adapter thingy for my videocard? Its a 6950 or summsuch.

Like if I plug in my tv, I have to disable a moniter for it to work! It only likes 2 viewing portals.

Fredescu

The Ancient Greeks made up a whole bunch of great characters. Why aren't all novelists just using those? Just make a good book using them.

Exactly. Glad we agree.

Home come I cant have, on my computers, White dvi x 2 moniters + 1 displayport hdmi adapter thingy for my videocard? Its a 6950 or summsuch.

Like if I plug in my tv, I have to disable a moniter for it to work! It only likes 2 viewing portals.

Pretty sure all the high end cards have been able to do three at a time since Eyefinity came out with the 58xx. Basically, you're doing something wrong. Fix it.

Dead Man

Totally. But it's about how the conversation changed so drastically

Yeah, and that is a fair enough concern, but the article seems to imply the girl wasn't victimised by the media. I think it is very reasonable to hate what she said, but also hate the way she was treated.

Maybe I'm misreading it though :/

Fusebox

Banned
The Ancient Greeks made up a whole bunch of great characters. Why aren't all novelists just using those? Just make a good book using them.

I only read the classic Greek novels:

500x_god_of_war_book_01.jpg

Omikron

Yeah, and that is a fair enough concern, but the article seems to imply the girl wasn't victimised by the media. I think it is very reasonable to hate what she said, but also hate the way she was treated.

Maybe I'm misreading it though :/
Maybe watch offsiders on iview where I think he was on discussing. Thought they covered it well.

Fredescu

If you're agreeing with one of my points I can only assume I made it incorrectly...

I need to get better at this deflection thing.

Characters and story are rarely central to a video game. Sequels are better because a new IP usually involves a new series of mechanics to help define that IP. Getting these mechanics right during development can be difficult, and often the nature of software development means it's possible to be too far along in development to change something fundamental without throwing out months of work. So a new IP is often an experiment. If the same developer is lucky enough to be able to make a sequel, they will have learnt lessons during the development of the first, and have lots of feedback from players to filter through to allow for refinement.

Meanwhile the ancient greeks used papyrus and the mechanics of novels haven't changed all that much from that. Hell, Samsung still makes it.

Patrick defence force fucking REPRESENT
He is the only one that I can recall reading any journalism from, the others are just media personalities aren't they?

This isn't a battle, we need to educate those who are clearly wrong. Their poor taste is the fault of their environment and we should be sensitive to that.
True, we need to strap them down, wipe their minds and hand them a controller/kb&m, locked in a room to play New Vegas for 100 hours at the least.

I know, but once you've created Mario there's no need to bother any more. Just make a good game.
So why don't they make a good game then.

I agree that there really wasn't enough God of War this generation. Jaffe had the perfect idea for God of War 4, should have gone all out with it.

Fusebox

Banned
Lol I almost feel bad for him. I mean he wasn't calling Goodes an ape out of the blue it was pretty obvious he was trying to make light of the situation with the 13 year old but damn, timing dude. I'm sure a bit of sensitivity training will do him a world of good though.

edit: Whoops. What I actually meant to say was, Fuck that racist piece of shit!

Fredescu

So why don't they make a good game then.

They made Galaxy 1 and 2. That's two good games! Entitled gamers indeed.

I need to get better at self-deprecating humor.

I took it as a backhanded compliment. Or something like that. Whatever it is when someone says "obviously the fault is with me" when they clearly mean "the fault is obviously with you". I guess that's textbook irony now that I think about it. I thought you were being ironic, in the proper sense.

We need to draw up battle lines. F3 vs NV people. NV always wins though.

After a quick look through the thread. Carn NV!!!
Definitely missed some people

#teamnewvegas

Fredescu
FallbackPants
reptilescorpio
evlcookie
Jables Swan
Rezbit
Kritz
jambo

#teamfallout3

Omi
lexi
Dead Man
Fusebox
hamchan

#teamfallout 1

pieatorium

#teamfallout2

Jintor

#teamtheworldendswithyou

Box of Bunnies

Pretty sure Codswallop is a New Vegas man! I thought I saw him tweet #teamnewvegas earlier!

Lol I almost feel bad for him. I mean he wasn't calling Goodes an ape out of the blue it was pretty obvious he was trying to make light of the situation with the 13 year old but damn, timing dude. I'm sure a bit of sensitivity training will do him a world of good though.
He was the opposite of sensitive the moron.

They made Galaxy 1 and 2. That's two good games! Entitled gamers indeed.
We said a good game, not two!

but isnt that exactly what giantbomb is?
idk i dont hate him, i just think it was a bad fit and everything he says and does feel forced.
Wait, Klepek is leaving Giant Bomb? Who will tell them about gaming news? This seems like a bad idea.

Jintor

Oh boy, now we've moved all the way to 'calling people apes isn't racist'. Pack it up guys, we're done here. Jesus fucking christ.

Top Bottom