• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

senahorse

That's good if that's how it works, I have never used it but I just read the article which I guess is a misrepresentation or poorly written?

Using Offline Mode on a PC.
Please follow the instructions below to configure Offline Mode on your PC:
Start Steam online - make sure the Remember my password box on the login window is checked
Verify that all game files are completely updated - you can see the update status for a game under the Library section (when the game shows as 100% - Ready it is ready to be played in Offline Mode)
Launch the game you would like to play offline to verify that there are no further updates to download - shut down the game and return to Steam once you have confirmed that the game can be played
Go to Steam > Settings to ensure the Don't save account credentials on this computer option is not selected
From the main Steam window, go to the Steam menu and select Go Offline
Click Restart in Offline Mode to restart Steam in Offline Mode

edit: I guess this DOES need updating unless it is just pertaining to the updates part

Jintor

The whole point of a console is that I can plug that shit in and stuff will play. I don't have to futz around like I do on my computer disabling shit and re-enabling shit and troubleshooting, oh the fucking troubleshooting. I mean I don't mind doing it for my PC because that's what PCs are, but if I've got a console I want to be able to plug that shit in and play some games.

jambo

Also the whole play the game first in offline mode seems wrong, as I recently downloaded Call of Juarez: Gunslinger and never played it until I was in offline mode.

senahorse

It's definitely not a desirable DRM system for the end-user. On a personal note I seem to be in the minority here that I just don't care, and as long as there are games I want to play I will get the system. Having said that my Internet connection is fairly reliable and I have 3 different other ways of connecting should I need to, so I can definitely sympathise with you guys with poor connections. I was one of the people that bought Diablo 3 and Sim City (so I guess I am part of the problem), and I did get annoyed at those games, not so much the online requirement, but more so the dependency on server side code which caused both games to have issues, especially in Aus.

The whole point of a console is that I can plug that shit in and stuff will play. I don't have to futz around like I do on my computer disabling shit and re-enabling shit and troubleshooting, oh the fucking troubleshooting. I mean I don't mind doing it for my PC because that's what PCs are, but if I've got a console I want to be able to plug that shit in and play some games.

In the vast majority of the time won't that be the case though?

senahorse

That's a different discussion entirely. There is no troubleshooting in that case you just have to pay the 'fee*' (*full price of game).

Jintor

In the vast majority of the time won't that be the case though?

Right except for the edge cases like I'm moving my box around to other people's houses for gaming nights or conventions or something. But just because something works 80% of the time doesn't mean you can just blow off the other 20%. If the box becomes a hassle to use that'll suck. It'll come down to implementation, but it doesn't look good right now I feel.

I mean that's without even going into the consumer rights discussion which is where I have a pretty big bone to pick

That's a different discussion entirely. There is no troubleshooting in that case you just have to pay the 'fee*' (*full price of game).

It's all part of the xbox discussion and console discussion and part of the "things that make a console worthwhile over a pc"

senahorse

Right except for the edge cases like I'm moving my box around to other people's houses for gaming nights or conventions or something. But just because something works 80% of the time doesn't mean you can just blow off the other 20%. If the box becomes a hassle to use that'll suck. It'll come down to implementation, but it doesn't look good right now I feel.

I mean that's without even going into the consumer rights discussion which is where I have a pretty big bone to pick

That's a fair point I hadn't considered, probably as I don't do it. I guess all you can do is vote with your wallet and not buy it.

It's all part of the xbox discussion and console discussion and part of the "things that make a console worthwhile over a pc"

Sure, it just doesn't have much to do with the point I was putting across (re: hotspots etc). Though I have never really thought in recent times (as a PC gamer) that there was argument of choosing a console over PC (price I guess, to an extant), I think they make a nice companion item.

Jintor

Yeah, well, we'll see how it is in another two years or so. Probably can't afford more than one next-gen console for a while and the way it's looking is it's gona be the wii u for smash bros, w101 and bayo 2...

senahorse

If I was going to choose just one, I would probably look at the PS3 PS4 for games. But being as they are more and more like PC's their relevance can be questioned to a degree. So on that point I might choose the xbone if Kinect works as well as the claims, that bit me last time though.

edit: having said that Kinect v2 is apparently coming to PC, so that plus Oculus Rift + Hyrdra could lead to some awesome unique experiences.

Deeku

Rad:D Did you have to leave most of that stuff behind then? I hope you brought your DS, I wanna play animal crossing with someone ><
have all my portable stuff with me!

Oh and thanks for the bbq advice too fellas! I ended up not going for Freds rolls royce job, I decided that for daily use I'd be better off with an all gas unit so I grabbed a weber q.
awww yeah webbbbbber!

The wireless situation does help, but it's still just an annoying system. And I'd be worried about it checking for a connection and then suddenly downloading updates through the new always up to date system.

As for Steam, offline mode had a big patch a while ago. You can stay offline for a very long time now, someone in Gaming used offline mode for 6 months before reconnecting and updating Steam.

And you can go to offline when you start up, when Steam can't connect it will give you the option of closing or starting offline.

You need to have logged in before and have it login without password entry, so steam has your details. Otherwise it wont gives you the option of offline mode. I tried it myself before i got my internet back and i had to login with my phones 3g tethered

Danoss

I can see where people are coming from, but I don't think it's something that should be accepted. I know people will say "well, it won't affect my situation so it doesn't bother me" or something similar. That doesn't excuse it by any means.

We're constantly reminded we don't 'own' our games, we only own a license to play them. The scope of this license has just been reduced and your ability to do much of what you used to is being revoked or restricted. Will the cost of the software license be reduced to account for this? Of course not, but it absolutely should be.

I'm not invested in any of this myself since I checked out from video games some time ago, I just don't like it when companies treat their customers like this and people let them. The more people dismiss things like this, the worse it will become. If they can get away with this, why stop there? But this is for the greater market to decide, many of those who would buy the console might not even be aware of any of this.

Kritz

Banned
Y'know,

I never once rented a game for my 360
I have bought a total of two preowned games for my 360 - Perfect Dark Zero, Earth Defence Force 2017. One time I almost sold some games to get a cheaper Halo 3 Cat Helmet preorder. But I didn't.

My innernets, however, does still occasionally go out for more than a day.

I'm not gonna say I won't buy the Xbox Bone Xone, because I probably will, but boy those constraints still seem unfuckin'real for an actual ass video game console. I can't wait to see it fail. Even if it probably won't.

I am part of the problem.

senahorse

I can see where people are coming from, but I don't think it's something that should be accepted. I know people will say "well, it won't affect my situation so it doesn't bother me" or something similar. That doesn't excuse it by any means.

We're constantly reminded we don't 'own' our games, we only own a license to play them. The scope of this license has just been reduced and your ability to do much of what you used to is being revoked or restricted. Will the cost of the software license be reduced to account for this? Of course not, but it absolutely should be.

I'm not invested in any of this myself since I checked out from video games some time ago, I just don't like it when companies treat their customers like this and people let them. The more people dismiss things like this, the worse it will become. If they can get away with this, why stop there? But this is for the greater market to decide, many of those who would buy the console might not even be aware of any of this.

I agree with your sentiments but it's typically human nature. Some people won't be able to afford the xbone but most people that can won't care about that, some won't have a HDMI connection on their TV, well they're xboned as well etc etc. This is not so much an analogy to MS's DRM, which I must restate, I don't 'like' it's just not an issue for me. Now watch me come back in a year whinging about it and eating crow :D

Danoss

I agree with your sentiments but it's typically human nature. Some people won't be able to afford the xbone but most people that can won't care about that, some won't have a HDMI connection on their TV, well they're xboned as well etc etc. This is not so much an analogy to MS's DRM, which I must restate, I don't 'like' it's just not an issue for me. Now watch me come back in a year whinging about it and eating crow :D

It is human nature and it truly disappoints me. People want what they want and are willing to make certain concessions so they can have it. It's a shame, but that's the reality of it.

I'm willing to make sacrifices if I see something like this that I don't agree with. I understand that many others don't want to and that's fine, it's their choice and I don't begrudge them for it. Ideally, many more people would make a stand and vote with their wallets and it would be better for everyone in the end, on this matter and considerably more important ones.

It is human nature and it truly disappoints me. People want what they want and are willing to make certain concessions so they can have it. It's a shame, but that's the reality of it.

I'm willing to make sacrifices if I see something like this that I don't agree with. I understand that many others don't want to and that's fine, it's their choice and I don't begrudge them for it. Ideally, many more people would make a stand and vote with their wallets and it would be better for everyone in the end, on this matter and considerably more important ones.

Sadly I don't think 'voting with your wallet' makes much of a difference. I certainly won't be buying one, but I know plenty of people who are willing to put up with the bullshit and buy it anyway.

Y'know,

I never once rented a game for my 360
I have bought a total of two preowned games for my 360 - Perfect Dark Zero, Earth Defence Force 2017. One time I almost sold some games to get a cheaper Halo 3 Cat Helmet preorder. But I didn't.

My innernets, however, does still occasionally go out for more than a day.

I'm not gonna say I won't buy the Xbox Bone Xone, because I probably will, but boy those constraints still seem unfuckin'real for an actual ass video game console. I can't wait to see it fail. Even if it probably won't.

I am part of the problem.

Honestly, I am too. Used games are the only downside to me. But day and date digital is awesome and could completely mitigate my use of used. Especially if there are deals, which XBL seems to have had a few of recently (the Alan Wake sale, and I got Blops for $3. $3!)
I never use rental stuff, and the only people I've lent games to are close mates/family and I'm pretty sure I've only lent it once. I don't have much of a drama with that.
Constant only checking sucks balls. But as a moral thing, not a logistical thing.
Being able to share games, and stream them from other consoles is fucking rad though.

I'd prefer not to support this, but if I'm being honest a couple of good games and I will.

So has Sorny categorically stated that they'll have no restrictions* on your physical game purchases?

Because if *I* were running the company, I'd look at this and see the perfect opportunity to implement such a system. What are those game-addicted saps gonna do to avoid DRM, anyway? Buy a Wii U?

Remember how Reggie was all like "Sony just gave us a price cut" the day 599 US Dollars happened? Well, MS gave Sony permission to be dicks.

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

* Like for real. Not technically like Xbone.

hackdog

Banned
Sadly I don't think 'voting with your wallet' makes much of a difference. I certainly won't be buying one, but I know plenty of people who are willing to put up with the bullshit and buy it anyway.

But those guys are the more casual crowd (I'm presuming here of course) who will get the yearly CoD, FIFA and maybe one or two other games. It's the core crowd like GAF that buys one or two games a month (again presuming) that will hurt if they abandon a console.

Xbone is targeting the Wii crowd, not the educated buyers. MS have been targeting that market since the introduction of the Kinect.

It will be a big seller even if PS4 attracts the gamers and game makers.

Xbone 2 will barely give a shit about video games.

Fin.

P.S. Sony PR is still inept VKS, they should have been out on the front foot from day one of the Xbone reveal, rather than just thinly veiled insults on Twitter.

So has Sorny categorically stated that they'll have no restrictions* on your physical game purchases?

Because if *I* were running the company, I'd look at this and see the perfect opportunity to implement such a system. What are those game-addicted saps gonna do to avoid DRM, anyway? Buy a Wii U?

Remember how Reggie was all like "Sony just gave us a price cut" the day 599 US Dollars happened? Well, MS gave Sony permission to be dicks.

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

* Like for real. Not technically like Xbone.

All they have said is no net required (like properly not required not xbox circlespeak) and used games is publisher descision.

the longer they don't say anything specific the more likely they have their own shitty system.

senahorse

I can't argue with anything you are saying because you are right. I guess I am just jaded (maybe disillusioned) and certainly selfish in that regard as in the past when I have tried standing against corporations it is futile. I think a good example of this is the lack of dedicated servers for COD4 or 5? on PC whereby a large contingent of the PC gaming community said they are going to boycott the game because of it, well there was a classic screenshot that went around and a lot of the people that said they would boycott were playing it day one. In that regard I guess I have become more selfish (with these types of things).

Fredescu

well there was a classic screenshot that went around and a lot of the people that said they would boycott were playing it day one.

I don't care one way or the other, but the boycott group was an open group that anyone could join, so CoD fans joined the group and took the screenshot for a laugh. It's funny but not worth using as a serious example for anything.

Rezbit

Instead of buying any of the new consoles I'll just put it towards a new graphics card and more ram for my PC. I'll buy a Wii U if it goes down to like $200 and a Metroid game is on it.

senahorse

I don't care one way or the other, but the boycott group was an open group that anyone could join, so CoD fans joined the group and took the screenshot for a laugh. It's funny but not worth using as a serious example for anything.

Fair enough, bad example. The point was trying to make (and should have elaborated on) that video games related boycotts seem to rarely work as it's usually just the hardcore audience invested which seems to be a minority of the install base. Maybe if all gamers were a hivemind we would see change but with people like myself (see a negative thing but don't really care) it won't happen often.

if Sony follows suit (their silence since the Xbone announcement doesn't mean one thing or the other they're either going down a similar path or saving it up as their megaton swipe at MS at E3)

if they go along with MS
PSFlaw

if they repudiate
PS Slaughter

God, next week will be interesting. I waiting for new business model called "shareware" to be announced.

Fredescu

video games related boycotts seem to rarely work as it's usually just the hardcore audience invested which seems to be a minority of the install base.

It will be interesting to see what happens. If the Xbone and PS4 launch at roughly the same time for roughly the same price, a negative campaign by hardcore dudes will definitely have some impact. I'm pretty sure the console market is shrinking (this gen has been huge), so perhaps we'll be back to winner takes all of the PS2 era and prior, which makes the stakes even higher. The Xbox has the advantage going in, they're still selling fairly well. Man I'm looking forward to those first few NPD threads after launch.

Danoss

It doesn't have the requisite impact if enough people don't do it. Part of the problem lies in the attitude that 'one person can't make a difference'; this is, of course, correct if they're alone. If enough people ditch that attitude and stand their ground instead of accepting things as they are, that's when change can happen.

I typed up some more, but I thought it might seem a bit rude and I don't mean to be. Just look at some failed game franchises that came back to do well and you'll see it absolutely does work; they didn't fail because of all the sales they made.

senahorse

It will be interesting to see what happens. If the Xbone and PS4 launch at roughly the same time for roughly the same price, a negative campaign by hardcore dudes will definitely have some impact. I'm pretty sure the console market is shrinking (this gen has been huge), so perhaps we'll be back to winner takes all of the PS2 era and prior, which makes the stakes even higher. The Xbox has the advantage going in, they're still selling fairly well. Man I'm looking forward to those first few NPD threads after launch.

Yeah it's going to be fascinating, I will probably be spending more time looking at that data/analysis than playing the things themselves :)

Omikron

BTW, anyone interested in Football and in particular the WCQ path for Australia... this image is kinda handy..

967141_512471875467741_104240228_o.png

Fredescu

Let's not forget Sanitarium who are owned by the Seventh Day Adventist Church and as such don't pay tax

I was actually thinking of them as I was typing. It feels funny to buy Vita Brits, which is owned by massive multinational Nestle, instead of Weet Bix, owned by a fairly small company, because they too (allegedly) fund the ACL. But it's what I do. TAKE THAT JIM!

Omikron

We want to avoid the play off at all costs... it is not a good option...

Basically involves first playing off against another Asian side to determine who finishes '5th', then a play off against the 5th placed South American country. Ugh.

Also, anti-Football media/police agenda something something....

Footy fans well behaved at opening game of State of Origin

39 people were ejected from the ground by police and security officers for a range of offences including anti-social behaviour, intoxication and failing to quit licensed premises.

An 18-year-old man was issued an infringement notice for throwing an object onto the field and was also banned from attending further events for six months.

Three men, aged 19, 34 and 41, were issued infringement notices for separate offences of failing to quit licensed premises, offensive conduct and excluded person re-enter licensed premises.

Meanwhile, a 44-year-old man was issued an infringement notice for entering the field of play. He&#8217;s been banned from attending future events for 12 months.

A 28-year-old man was charged after allegedly failing to quit licensed premises and resisting arrest.

I was actually thinking of them as I was typing. It feels funny to buy Vita Brits, which is owned by massive multinational Nestle, instead of Weet Bix, owned by a fairly small company, because they too (allegedly) fund the ACL. But it's what I do. TAKE THAT JIM!

Dick Smith should make Dick's Bix.

Top Bottom