• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Ventron

Is most of AusGAF staying at the same hotel for PAX Aus? Trying to decide my accommodations here, any hotel recommendations?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Is most of AusGAF staying at the same hotel for PAX Aus? Trying to decide my accommodations here, any hotel recommendations?

Not that I know of. I have no idea where people are staying either, I do not that some haven't even sorted that out yet.

Hopefully we can get a list going so we have a good idea where everyone is situated for food and drinks.

The PAX website is doing special offers on hotels, so you might be able to find some stuff there.

I'm bunking with boyfriend and another friend from AUSPAX at some hotel near Carlton. Location seems pretty sweet.

Jintor

Couch crashing! Probably like an hour away from the city... yeesh. More like a place to store my things, really.

I should probably bring, like, 2 powerboards...

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I've managed to finish 2 games over the past week, Those being Max Payne 3 and Mass Effect 3.

MP3 felt like a game that should have been 4 hours long but instead they decided to pad it towards the end with shooting 10000 more people so you got your 8 hours worth. It was more a this is your life TV episode than an actual video game as well, aside from the mass killings which is really all you did. Hell, Those parts could have just been the fucking adverts.

Still it wasn't an entirely shit game, It did a few things right but certainly not enough to warrant a full price tag.

Mass Effect 3 - I fucked up on this one. I didn't get to sleep with anyone, I mean, The fuck was I doing? Every girl I wanted to bang ended
Up Dead
. Life imitating art, sorta....

I skipped the majority of the side quests since I knew going into it that it was pretty much worthless, That the end was just going to be a choice of pretty colours.

My choice was red.

Not the greatest ME game in the trilogy series, It did seem more refined but that never felt like it was always a good thing. Shooting people with fire ammo still seemed like the best idea. Had I known before the 12 hour mark that you could upgrade weapons, I Probably would have done that sooner.

Overall. Medicore games but at a cheap price so that was nice. Good to get these off my backlog.

Hmm KMart here has a caseless NSMBU for $20. I should buy it and just print out a cover. Seems cheap. ZombiU is $36 at EB but I can't afford anything until next week so hopefully the EB sale is still on then. Lego Undercover is full price everywhere :/

Hey rep, you need to bring your boy along to one of the days so you can cosplay together:
aXpSzO9.gif

It's been 12 months since the last time I had a child free weekend so fuck that!

Maybe in a few years time lol

Friday night could work! Old man ausgaf meet.
Actually Friday night is the only night I have free! Forgot that I have an anniversary dinner with the wife planned that night, won't be seeing much PAX on Sunday either I think.

Woo! Friday!

Mass Effect 3 -

Not the greatest ME game in the trilogy series, It did seem more refined but that never felt like it was always a good thing. Shooting people with fire ammo still seemed like the best idea. Had I known before the 12 hour mark that you could upgrade weapons, I Probably would have done that sooner.

Overall. Medicore games but at a cheap price so that was nice. Good to get these off my backlog.
Yeah felt like it inhabited a middle ground between the first two games all the way through.

Was good but not great or anything. I really need to do a Hardcore playthrough the whole series.

Kritz

Banned
Me and three other friends are getting a room together at the, um, Southbank Lodge or something?

Was pretty much the cheapest place that didn't look like total shit.

--

I really like Max Payne 3. I expected the game to be total horseshit, and as a Max Payne game with that series' legacy, it's disappointing. But as a raw shooter, the gunplay is fantastic. It's so much fun in MP3 to dive sideways and clear an entire room before you hit the ground. Max Payne 2's still probably the more fun to play, and has the best Max story, but MP3 does okay.

Mass Effect 3 had that cool Mordin moment and that was about it.

markot

Banned
Hmm KMart here has a caseless NSMBU for $20. I should buy it and just print out a cover. Seems cheap. ZombiU is $36 at EB but I can't afford anything until next week so hopefully the EB sale is still on then. Lego Undercover is full price everywhere :/

aXpSzO9.gif

It's been 12 months since the last time I had a child free weekend so fuck that!

Maybe in a few years time lol

Actually Friday night is the only night I have free! Forgot that I have an anniversary dinner with the wife planned that night, won't be seeing much PAX on Sunday either I think.

Woo! Friday!

Yeah felt like it inhabited a middle ground between the first two games all the way through.

Was good but not great or anything. I really need to do a Hardcore playthrough the whole series.

Zombi u is 39.95 on the eshop permanenetly

I thought PAX was at the exhibition centre, which makes the fact it is at the racecourse annoying as fuck but I'll learn my way out there. Makes it tricky with the wife though. Why can't it just be all in the CBD!

Zombi u is 39.95 on the eshop permanenetly

32GB HDD. Nope. While the boy is still young I don't want to have to have a 1TB HDD hanging off the back, hard enough to stop him pressing the power button on the PC as it is >_<

My mother in law is currently staying with us and she's watching Sunday Night. The segment where they interview this radical Islamic cleric is race baiting at its absolute vilest and most reprehensible. Is there somewhere I can lodge a complaint? This amount of naked bigotry is something I've never seen on Australian television before.

Dead Man

My mother in law is currently staying with us and she's watching Sunday Night. The segment where they interview this radical Islamic cleric is race baiting at its absolute vilest and most reprehensible. Is there somewhere I can lodge a complaint? This amount of naked bigotry is something I've never seen on Australian television before.

I saw the ads for it and was pretty disgusted. ACMA will take a complaint, they won't do anything about it though.

http://www.acma.gov.au/Citizen/Take-action/Complaints/Broadcast-complaints

Edit: No, apparently you can't. You need to complain to the station first.

Dead Man

What's the point of that when they run these programmes with the express purpose of baiting?

Yeah, and it seems ACMA are utterly useless even when there has been a breach:
http://www.acma.gov.au/theACMA/News...eleases/win-tv-breached-for-vaccination-story
The ACMA also found that WIN TV did not make reasonable efforts to correct the significant error of fact.

&#8216;While the ACMA has no power to direct the making of an on-air corrective statement, given the circumstances of this case and the important public health issues involved, the ACMA recommended to WIN TV that it make an on-air statement concerning the ACMA&#8217;s findings,&#8217; added Mr Chapman.

The licensee has, however, declined to take this opportunity to clarify on air this important public health issue, one which no doubt remains of ongoing concern to its audience and the wider Australian public. The licensee offered to provide a link on its website to the ACMA&#8217;s finding.

I saw the ads for it and was pretty disgusted. ACMA will take a complaint, they won't do anything about it though.

http://www.acma.gov.au/Citizen/Take-action/Complaints/Broadcast-complaints

Edit: No, apparently you can't. You need to complain to the station first.
Thanks. I lodged a complaint with Channel 7. Apparently, they'll respond to me directly. It's the first time I've ever made a complaint like this, but it was seriously rage inducing.

My complaint:

The source of my complaint is the promotion and handling of the Sunday Night segment that aired on the 9th of June regarding the attack on the British soldiers by Islamic radicals. This segment included an interview with a radical cleric sympathetic to the attackers and the promotion included comments about how he believes that the "Islamic flag" will one day be flying over Parliament House.

I believe that the promotion of, as well as the segment itself breach the following section of the Code of Practice:

4.3.10 must not portray any person or group of persons in a negative light by placing gratuitous emphasis on age, colour, gender, national or ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, race, religion or sexual preference. Nevertheless, where it is in the public interest, licensees may report events and broadcast comments in which such matters are raised;

Never mind that statistically and demographically, such outcomes or ambitions are ludicrous and indeed, utterly irrelevant to the public interest, but the tone of the interview and the segment was one of the vilest sort of race baiting and fear mongering. The promotional teaser for the segment even had an image of a black flag with Arabic script on it superimposed upon the Australian flag, underpinned by ominous musical tones, as if to imply that the very way of life of the audience were under siege from some alien other.

I find it disgusting that the very people that a large portion of the public relies upon to inform them is feeding them such blatant misinformation and nonsense.

yeah shan its no where near southbank, which kinda means the meet was never going to be at BD but that said theres not much else near the showgrounds (probably i think) and the show finishes at 6 so the meet probably would be in the city

There's going to be regular trains to the showgrounds for PAX.

I'm not going to be staying anywhere fancy - I'm catching the train in from Ringwood every day.

maybe i will see you on it

hirokazu

lol ACMA. You guys! You so funny! TV is wild wild west. Misinformation is the name of the game and the game is going good.
All of the commercial media is like this. But remember when Labor tried to make media more accountable and how bad it backfired?

Labor has the worst PR and nobody's doing shit (or can do shit) about the terrible state of journalism and news reporting in Australia.

Bernbaum

Connected my G75 laptop to my 42" LCD. Very seamless. The few FPS games I'd been playing recently looked great. Despite running at the same resolution as the native display on my laptop, the games looked like they were running at a smoother framerate. Aliasing is also far less noticeable. I'll probably play all of Spec Ops: The Line on my TV, just for shits and giggle,s but I don't think I prefer it to playing FPS games on my lap.

Gave an RTS game a crack - Anno 2070. It ran and looked fine, but running it through a TV just isn't conducive to an enjoyable RTS experience for me.

I've got a few ation/adventure gamepad titles that I'll likely play through the TV (The Batman Arkham games and Psychonauts), but overall, I'll stick to playing on the laptop monitor.

Jintor

lol and the newspapers don't even want the level of authority the ACMA has over broadcast to exist in their field. Pah!

r1chard

I really have to get up to speed on the AusGAFPAXAus organisationing some time soon. Unfortunately I have a conference a fortnight before that I've promised a ridiculously complex talk for and I'll be concentrating on that until then. Then I'll have a couple of weeks to catch up on AusGAFPAXAus planning. Oh yes.

Hell, maybe they'll release some sort of schedule for PAXAus soon... lol.

Edit: nice complaint there VKS. Did you cc Media Watch?

I really have to get up to speed on the AusGAFPAXAus organisationing some time soon. Unfortunately I have a conference a fortnight before that I've promised a ridiculously complex talk for and I'll be concentrating on that until then. Then I'll have a couple of weeks to catch up on AusGAFPAXAus planning. Oh yes.

Hell, maybe they'll release some sort of schedule for PAXAus soon... lol.

Edit: nice complaint there VKS. Did you cc Media Watch?
I did it via a form on the website. Should I send it to them?

Dead Man

Search for Spock. Terrible movie. :(
Journey Home. Pretty awesome movie. :)

I made an igloo.

no i didn't
Start charging rent!

All of the commercial media is like this. But remember when Labor tried to make media more accountable and how bad it backfired?

Labor has the worst PR and nobody's doing shit (or can do shit) about the terrible state of journalism and news reporting in Australia.
This is the system we deserve.

Spiderman. Wow, what a terrible film.
If you're talking about the most recent one, yeah, I agree. However, it's not all the director's fault; the movie was cut to shit after it was finished.

Most of the weird plot holes, dangling plot threads and asinine character decisions and general weirdness were probably a result of interference after the film was finished.

That doesn't excuse it from some of the shittiest pseudo-film-science ever: "Peter, this displays all of the characterises of a symbiote; be careful with it". AND WHAT EXACTLY ARE THE CLASSICAL SIGNS THAT AN ANIMAL EXISTS IN A SYMBIOTIC RELATIONSHIP MR. SCIENTIST MAN?!? NO FUCK YOU!

Thankfully the cuts do explain one of the weirdest things that happened at the end: a policeman shooting and injuring Spider-Man with his gun after the chief of police explicitly telling everyone to hold their fire.

Dead Man

If you're talking about the most recent one, yeah, I agree. However, it's not all the director's fault; the movie was cut to shit after it was finished.

Most of the weird plot holes, dangling plot threads and asinine character decisions and general weirdness were probably a result of interference after the film was finished.

That doesn't excuse it from some of the shittiest pseudo-film-science ever: "Peter, this displays all of the characterises of a symbiote; be careful with it". AND WHAT EXACTLY ARE THE CLASSICAL SIGNS THAT AN ANIMAL EXISTS IN A SYMBIOTIC RELATIONSHIP MR. SCIENTIST MAN?!? NO FUCK YOU!

Thankfully the cuts do explain one of the weirdest things that happened at the end: a policeman shooting and injuring Spider-Man with his gun after the chief of police explicitly telling everyone to hold their fire.
Sorry, no, the one that was just on TV. The first one, Willem Dafoe and all that. I agree with your science rant on the new on though :)

Dead Man

Avengers will be the same in ten years time, Avatar too.
Avatar is there now for me. The effects looked pretty average on TV the other night too. Not bad, no way in hell would I say bad, just... meh. They are at the level I expect. And when the rest of the movie is so shit, the effects better be awesone.

And yeah I was not a fan of it like some people were, but at least Avengers will have some good dialogue to hold it up a bit.
The secret is that all of the Spider-man films are shit. Just some are slightly less shit than others.
True enough.

Top Bottom