• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Deeku

I have zero street passes.

I did download that Rolling Dillion game. I think. I bought something off the eStore. I haven't played it yet though. It is all wrapped up as a present and I don't want to make a mess.

Also This E3 behind the scenes thing for Giant Bomb is pretty amazing. Might end up checking them out properly. Much respect for their professionalism, they get shit done and do it right.
i've never had a street pass in the wild, apart from like eb games.

i really really like gb these days. i'm pretty close to subbing so i have more stuff to watch!

It's insane how much they have crammed in, especially given how giant the xbone is by comparison.

Especially since PS4 has internal power supply while xbox has a giant external brick.

Rumours of poor yeilds and heat must have some kind of ring to them with the super limited launch and gigantic box with vents all over it. Where there's smoke there's fire as they say.

Jintor

Oh fuck Box of Bunnies got banned? Probably that Bayonetta sarcastic joke which was obvious as fuck :(

man i don't give a shit if sarcastic joke or not. using butch dyke in that fashion outside of actually talking about some legit lgbt stuff is as bad as calling things gay in my book

Pity though, he's a bro

anyway, I was at a talk about Human Rights and Video Games at the Human Rights Commission just now. Pretty cool! Moderator had zero idea about video games, but then again she was like the head of the Commission, so whatevs

Kritz

Banned
Also This E3 behind the scenes thing for Giant Bomb is pretty amazing. Might end up checking them out properly. Much respect for their professionalism, they get shit done and do it right.

Warning: GB are at their very best during E3 and PAX. And when Patrick writes / interviews. Their standard content isn't as balls out amazing as that video.

But goddamn I will never unsubscribe from those guys. They just deserve it for all the work they do during E3 and PAX. And Jeff, of course.

Guy drove six hours to E3 - while streaming it, had a full day of conferences, came back to their recording house, found that everything was fucking stolen, posted a video explaining what was going on while the guy looked like he was going to break down on camera, two hours later he did a one man one hour show from his hotel room so the site had content.

Jeff's a goddamn pro.

Kritz

Banned
man i don't give a shit if sarcastic joke or not. using butch dyke in that fashion outside of actually talking about some legit lgbt stuff is as bad as calling things gay in my book

It's as bad as saying, sarcastically, "I can't believe they made john halo look like a fag". Even if it was intended in good humour, unfortunately making sure people understand that certain words are hurtful and inappropriate is more important.

Yeah there at their best during events, even their restreams of the sony and MS reveals were good. There also good at the end/start of the year when there actually a good bunch of stuff that actually interests them + their game of the year stuff is great.

This time of year there week to week stuff can be really hit and miss.

Kritz

Banned
I really fucking love their off-topic stuff, because those guys to me are personalities more than they are presenters. I care more about the people than their opinions as consumable information.

But, y'know, not everyone's up for that. That's fine.

Pity though, he's a bro

anyway, I was at a talk about Human Rights and Video Games at the Human Rights Commission just now. Pretty cool! Moderator had zero idea about video games, but then again she was like the head of the Commission, so whatevs

It kinda seemed like he was jokingly intimating someone else, so I didn't really see a problem with it in that context. In poor taste though I guess.

That second part sounds rad! What kind of things were discussed?

Guy drove six hours to E3 - while streaming it, had a full day of conferences, came back to their recording house, found that everything was fucking stolen, posted a video explaining what was going on while the guy looked like he was going to break down on camera, two hours later he did a one man one hour show from his hotel room so the site had content.

Jeff's a goddamn pro.

DID THEY GET EVERYTHING BACK???

Also yeah, really good to watch. That whole hour flew by.

Patrick isn't leaving Giant Bomb is he? I've only ever really read his stuff and it is pretty great, I ignore all the other written stuff from GB as I like them as personalities and don't put much stock into their critique (especially the reviews).

Jintor

He's going back to live in Chicago and working off-site which unfortunately means he'll be in a lot less content. He will get some rad interview dumptrucks off though probably

Patrick ha said he's likely to do even more writing being away from all the video stuff

edit : not freelancing still part of the team like alex who isn't on site in SF either

Bernbaum

EA Origin customer experience happy times:

Installed Origin upon acquisition of gaming laptop, did not use or purchase any games through it. Checked daily for sales, largely disappointed. Saw Crysis and Warhead available for $7.50. Remembered I'd purchased retail disc copies, but can't find either of them. Neither game can be instantly redeemed over Origin and requires customer assistance. My Origin account used the same email I'd registered Warhead with, but the registration confirmation email from 2008 had lost all the image HTML links and wasn't displaying the registration key.

Discussed the matter with EA chat support - they saw that the game had been registered at that email account and then provided a game key to register Warhead again with my Origin account albeit, outside of Origin and with another EA activation service.

Reload Origin, Crysis: Warhead appears in game list. Download, install, I am Jason Statham.

Considering I had fuck-all info to provide EA (No cd key), was surprised to get the game activated.

Good stuff EA you otherwise evil cunts.

Dead Man

Does anyone else see a koala?
ITjDD5fl.jpg

MeRPPfql.jpg

I want whatever you are smoking.

Dead Man

Heyo! Checking in! (I don't really count though because I don't play anything)
That counts!
Thanks for that. Looks like a recipe you'd use for a lamb stew or similar. Was wondering if you added anything crazy like Vegemite or something to counter the kangaroo's strong taste.
I find I can just use less meat and still get a very hearty flavour, but I don't mind the strong taste, since it is stewed it permeates the ingredients instead of staying in the meat only.
Only ever played Metal Gear on the NES. Never played a Metal Gear Solid game.

Close enough, welcome to the club.

Edit: Fuck it, double post is staying, I don't give a fuck.

Danoss

I find I can just use less meat and still get a very hearty flavour, but I don't mind the strong taste, since it is stewed it permeates the ingredients instead of staying in the meat only.

I would love to use less and somehow shred it to spread it throughout the dish further. I have found that the fibres of meat throughout the sauce makes it so delicious, I could just drink that.

Fredescu

That was great, thanks for the link.

I know the whole "Sony decided on $399 that morning" thing should be taken with a grain of salt, but I do wonder if it was initially $499, explaining the Australian $549 price, and Sony Australia just went "Fuck it, we're not changing" when they dropped it. Speculation makes a spec out of something something.

Dead Man

I would love to use less and somehow shred it to spread it throughout the dish further. I have found that the fibres of meat throughout the sauce makes it so delicious, I could just drink that.
Yeah, it's pretty damn good.

I know the whole "Sony decided on $399 that morning" thing should be taken with a grain of salt, but I do wonder if it was initially $499, explaining the Australian $549 price, and Sony Australia just went "Fuck it, we're not changing" when they dropped it. Speculation makes a spec out of something something.

Wouldn't surprise me :/

pachter seemed to indicate he talked to some sony guys and they were worried xbox would be 399 and therefore the same price so they were relieved when ms announced higher.

As far as the 549, sony has always been on the high end of dodgy aus pricing :/

:( I just got ripped off by ozgameshop. The PS+ code they sent me doesn't work in an Aus account now they want me to pay for postage to airmail back a code. That doesn't even make any sense. The sucky thing is I specifically asked them about whether it would work in an Aus account or not and they assured me it would. Now I hope I get my money back through paypal (should of used a credit card).

Question, Aussie brethren.

What is the realistic chance that Sony will discover you're using a U.S PSN account in Australia then subsequently ban you? I've bought PSN cards and everything so I don't want to be smacked with the banhammer.

Why would they ban you? That's not illegal or against their TOS.
Nor are they MS

You can buy PSN credit straight from Amazon with no markup

Not really, they don't send you online codes - they only post the vouchers.

When I tried, they refused to post the codes to AU. I got them shipped to my cousin in Canada who then emailed me the codes.

Yep, those three speeding fines were for doing 105 at the same point in Eastlink over three different days. Ugh. 105.

I got 3 speed fines for 103, 104 and another 104 kmph on Geelong road/Princes highway travelling towards Geelong a few years ago. Paid $500 in installments over 18 months. Cam scammed. :/

Mako_Drug

So I preordered a PS4 and an Xbone (from EB no less). In other news I am a chump :/

One of them might find itself on ebay depending on how big my tax refund is this year.

Thanks guys! I'll take a look in target tomorrow. That USB one looked particularly good.

It shouldn't cause any issues using an Australian charger with a Japanese 3DS?.
When looking to see whether any charger with the right sized plugs will work, it helps to match up the electrical characteristic numbers on the charger against the numbers on the device.

For instance, a charger may have these markings on it somewhere:

230V AC 50 Hz ~/- 12V DC 5A

The device it plugs into may have these markings:

12V DC 2.5A

The stuff on the left of the "/" means for the charger that it'll plug directly into Australian wall sockets without the need for an additional transformer. As long as the voltage number is around that, you'll be fine.

230V is the Australian standard, but it used to 240V not that long ago and none of your old stuff suddenly broke. There are tolerances for small voltage variances like that, especially with chargers. Sometimes a charger will quote a voltage range (say 200V - 240V) and the frequency at 50 - 60 Hz and that's fine to plug into the wall too.

The stuff on the right of the "/" gives you less wiggle room, but generally, you want the DC voltage (in this case 12V) on the charger and device to match up exactly. You generally want the rated output current (in this case 2.5A) on the charger to be greater than or equal to the draw current of the device, or you risk overheating your charger.

Nearly all consumer electronic devices are 12V or 24V DC, so what your chargers and power bricks are doing is converting your country's consumer AC voltage into a form te device can use.

The Original 3DS is rated at 4.6V 900mA, so any 230V AC / 4.6V DC charger rated at 1A or greater will do the job if the plugs fit.

With the recent inundation of Nintendo celebrity Mii's flooding Spotpass, there's a chance I may have one of the most complete 3DS Puzzle Swap collections in Brisbane, if not Australia.

I am the only person I've seen with any pieces for 'Dillon's Rolling Western', and I am on the verge of acquiring all the pink Streetpass swap-only pieces. I'm using imported USA 3DS's, which is probably why I haven't seen on my routine sweep of the Brisbane CBD.
I have zero DRW pink Streetpass pieces. But I'm not working in the CBD anymore, which slowed me down somewhat.

I have all the Devilish Brain Training pieces (except for the pink ones), but nobody likes that game so they don't proliferate like the others do.

Julia Gillard asked by radio station if her partner Tim Mathieson is gay
ontroversial talk back radio host Howard Sattler posed the question to the prime minister on Thursday afternoon on the premise of clearing up rumours and things "you hear."

Sattler said to the prime minister he would offer her a chance to clear up ''myths, rumours, snide jokes and innuendo'' during the interview on Perth's 6PR.

"Tim's gay?" Sattler inquired of the prime minister.

"Well that's absurd," Gillard replied.

"But you hear it," Sattler persisted. "He must be gay, he's a hairdresser. It's not me saying it."

"Well, Howard, I don't know whether every silly thing that gets said is going to be repeated to me now, but to all the hairdressers out there, including the men who are listening, I don't think that in life one can look at a whole profession full of different human beings and say gee, we know something about everyone of those human beings," the prime minister said, before adding "it's absurd."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/13/julia-gillard-howard-sattler-interview

When looking to see whether any charger with the right sized plugs will work, it helps to match up the electrical characteristic numbers on the charger against the numbers on the device.

For instance, a charger may have these markings on it somewhere:

230V AC 50 Hz ~/- 12V DC 5A

The device it plugs into may have these markings:

12V DC 2.5A

The stuff on the left of the "/" means for the charger that it'll plug directly into Australian wall sockets without the need for an additional transformer. As long as the voltage number is around that, you'll be fine.

230V is the Australian standard, but it used to 240V not that long ago and none of your old stuff suddenly broke. There are tolerances for small voltage variances like that, especially with chargers. Sometimes a charger will quote a voltage range (say 200V - 240V) and the frequency at 50 - 60 Hz and that's fine to plug into the wall too.

The stuff on the right of the "/" gives you less wiggle room, but generally, you want the DC voltage (in this case 12V) on the charger and device to match up exactly. You generally want the rated output current (in this case 2.5A) on the charger to be greater than or equal to the draw current of the device, or you risk overheating your charger.

Nearly all consumer electronic devices are 12V or 24V DC, so what your chargers and power bricks are doing is converting your country's consumer AC voltage into a form te device can use.

The Original 3DS is rated at 4.6V 900mA, so any 230V AC / 4.6V DC charger rated at 1A or greater will do the job if the plugs fit.

Thanks VKS :D That was really helpful. It does indeed say 4.6V on the DS!

Shaneus

So this is epic news, thread yet to be created:
I asked an Evo employee on another forum and DriveClub will support current PS3 compatible wheels

dance2s3a4l.gif

As of right now, it looks like the One doesn't support the wheels either specifically designed for the 360 (like the ~$400 Fanatec wheels, as well as the official ones) or otherwise, while the PS4 will support everything the PS3 did, including said Fanatec wheels and all other HID wheels (like the Logitech range).

This is fucking *massive* news. So I'd say they probably support all non-standard USB controllers like THE SATURN MOTHERFUCKING USB PAD and all PC/PS3 compatible fightsticks.

So this is epic news, thread yet to be created:

As of right now, it looks like the One doesn't support the wheels either specifically designed for the 360 (like the ~$400 Fanatec wheels, as well as the official ones) or otherwise, while the PS4 will support everything the PS3 did, including said Fanatec wheels and all other HID wheels (like the Logitech range).

This is fucking *massive* news. So I'd say they probably support all non-standard USB controllers like THE SATURN MOTHERFUCKING USB PAD and all PC/PS3 compatible fightsticks.

That's great news. I've been holding off buying a new arcade stick because of their might have been comparability issue.

Well they lost a sale from me, unless the Aussie dollar tanks come end of year that is.

Shaneus

That's great news. I've been holding off buying a new arcade stick because of their might have been comparability issue.
I mean, I can't guarantee that all third-party stuff will work, but it's fair to say that if you can use a Logitech wheel with a PS4, you'd be able to use others. I was just making an educated guess :)

I mean, I can't guarantee that all third-party stuff will work, but it's fair to say that if you can use a Logitech wheel with a PS4, you'd be able to use others. I was just making an educated guess :)
Yeah Rohde and the other Sony guys like Yosp have been continually saying they are 99% sure devices are supported. There might be one or two random moneys that don't.

Yeah. I'll hold off for concrete info but it seems pretty likely that you are right.

Julia Gillard asked by radio station if her partner Tim Mathieson is gay

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/13/julia-gillard-howard-sattler-interview

Thanks VKS :D That was really helpful. It does indeed say 4.6V on the DS!

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If its a rumour it's one Sattler made up himself. I have a male hairdresser and he's the gruffest old Italian man I've ever met. He doesn't say a single word during the haircut, which is ideal.

Omikron

It was mainly a response to the ex-epic guy who diadem used games are bringing down AAA games.

So using a terrible equivalence is ok?

Just look at them!

In a good business, the answer to something being too expensive to produce would be to, y'know, make it fucking cheaper to produce. Videogame consoles do this over time -- parts become less costly to manufacture, more efficient to put together. You'll find, with some of the most successful videogames on the market, the same is also very true. It's just that nobody will admit it

Yes, because software is analogous to producing something physical and keep reproducing the exactly same thing, again and again.

Even outside of more basic looking games and older engines, we have evidence of smaller teams producing utterly gorgeous games without breaking the bank. I point you to the drop-dead beautiful Metro: Last Light, a game now famous for stunning visuals and an impeccable production value. 4A Games is a humble developer from Kiev, and produced a game that looked as amazing as it did without needing to sell five million copies to survive.

Using Metro as an example, a place where the development team was treated like slave labour! That's ok, we got a game!

If so-called "AAA" games and the used market actually are incompatible, then I say that's a good friggin' thing. Anything to dispossesses publishers of the notion that they need to keep dumping truckloads of cash into games to the point where they need to sell more copies than the laws of reality allow. Despite what demagogues and mouthpieces will tell you, the market is not demanding all its games be so expensive to produce.

No, but the consumers / media are / were after a new generation, with a massive expectation that that would bring new and exciting new graphical enhancements.

some stuff about voltages.

true story, back in 2005, we were given two US Xbox 360s a few days after launch. Even with that massive power brick, I managed to fry one of the power bricks by assuming it, being 2005, the massive brick would work worldwide just as smaller camera, phone and handheld psu's work. Nope. "what's that burning smell?"

Luckliy a friend of mine managed to fix it with $2 worth of parts from an electronics place.

Since many people are importing PS4's, just be aware that it may be an issue
Always happy when electronics don't need the step down converter.

I never get tired of stories demonstrating what a fool I am. Just so many stories.

also: I saw Django last night for the first time. That was my fave film of 2005. It's like the Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith made by Tarantino with jokes

Top Bottom