• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

jambo

What else?!

I do have a Vita and DS as well, but haven't touched them in ages. Missus is using the Vita.

Who needs integrated technology when you can just own all the technology.

Luckily external services like Dropbox, Gmail and the like are synced over my SIII, iPad and PC.

hamchan

Technology wank time.

I have PS3, 360, Wii, 3DS, 3DSXL, PSP, Vita, iPhone 5, iPad 4, PC.

I also just found my old GBA SP under some books. It made me super happy.

jambo

Why would I have two phones?

And I actually do have an old Galaxy Tab, one of the smaller A5-paper sized ones.

I also had a 3DS for a while, but got rid of it. Same with a PSP years ago.

And I despise touchpads, so laptops are out of the picture.

As for a Mac, I just wouldn't use it so it would be a waste. There's nothing I need to do on a Mac that I can't do on a PC.

Kritz

Banned
I paid nothing for Fable 3. You mean you paid more than $118 for Fable 3?

You'd have to be some kind of sucker to pay that much money for Fable 3.

(Note: I am yet to play Fable 3, I have only purchased (for free) Fable 3.)

listen I'm just gonna put it out there

fable 3 might have not been worth what I paid for it.

Thought this was an interesting article on Xbone v PS4 from the New Yorker

The excitement around that seemingly mundane feature stems from a deep resentment among gamers toward the Xbox One’s groundbreaking approach to product ownership and rights. Microsoft’s system treats all games, whether downloaded from the Internet or copied off a disc, the same—as pure, licensed bits.

But consoles have evolved into more than simply black boxes for playing games. The Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 are both multimedia hubs that stream videos and music, and access Twitter and Facebook. Apple and Google want their boxes and content to be hooked into the biggest screen in your house, too, but in this pursuit the video-game makers have crushed them: Apple has sold just over thirteen million Apple TVs, while Sony and Microsoft have each sold nearly eighty million consoles. The PS3 is now the single most popular device for Netflix viewing. The second word in “gaming console” is now much more important than the first.

It’s in this capacity that, ultimately, the Xbox One seems more compelling than the PS4. Microsoft’s device aims to completely overhaul the television experience, providing its own interface for watching cable, satellite television, and NFL games, for example.

The PlayStation 4 will probably outsell the Xbox One this holiday season, its sales powered by gamers’ disgruntlement over licensing rights and the hundred-dollar price difference between the consoles, a deciding factor for the parental crowd. And, indeed, the PS4 may turn out to be a better console for the most hardcore gaming audience. But the Xbox One is the most connected console ever devised—a source of its issues, unquestionably, but also why it seems more likely to be the box you’ll want connected to your TV four years from now.

markot

Banned
it's no more connected than a 360, it just requires a connection rather than it being optional

YOU CAN WATCH TV ON IT!!!!!!

Now you dont need to use the remote, or the built in billion apps and features all tvs come with now! NOW ITS ALL IN ONE EXTRA BIG BOX! THATS ALWAYS WATCHING AND LISTENING!

Danoss

That's where the old habits are kicking in. Also probably due to a low dose as well. Next time you see your doc, ask them about things like mindfulness and any other techniques used for coping and organising. Unfortunately getting medicated isn't a fix-all, it just gives you a better chance of kicking old habits... maybe some people can do that better than others.
I still retain a lot of my older traits, but I think it's just being vigilant enough to want to unlearn them and most of the time my instincts kick in well before I have a chance to think about the better way to behave.
If you have an iPhone, an app called "My Pocket Coach" is great as well. I ignore it most of the time (ahahaha) but you can set different tasks to remind you at different times, if you haven't done it enough times in a week (depending on how you set it) but yeah... you have to want to use it.

We talked about these habits. I mentioned that I needed to set alarms on my phone and make lists otherwise I have difficulty remembering things. I might remember, but it can be far too late by the time that happens. I've tried routines so that some things become associated with another, but they don't really work. She told me not to stop doing that which reminds me to do things.

I have only been taking 5mg in the morning and 5mg at lunchtime while I got used to the buzz I was getting after taking it. That has subsided now, so I'll bump the morning dose to 10mg and see what happens. Currently it is working, I'm much more active and attentive and if I want to do something, I am able to. The main bad habit for me was procrastination, and I'm more easily able to deal with that; instead of "oh yep, I'll do that later" and then completely forgetting about it, I have clearer thoughts to go "why don't I just do that right now?"

The good thing is that I have really felt motivated to do things, so I don't have to be as conscious of what needs doing and it doesn't feel like as much of an effort to do. I have gotten more shit done in a week than I have in a number of months and it feels great. A great number of times, I can have a list of things in my mind I wanted to do and as long as I'm actively buzzing about getting it done, there's a great chance most of them will pop to the front of my mind when I need them. The problem lies in where I have no choice but to wait until some time has passed before I can complete the task, here I have to set an alarm or it might not happen at all. Does this make sense?

I know it's not a magic pill and many traits will remain, I just have to deal with them. The good thing is the meds are seeming to equip me with the ability to address the problems, rather than outright fixing them.

jambo

All I got from the TV in to Xbone thing was that it would be fucking annoying as shit keeps popping up while your trying to watch stuff. When I want to watch TV I want to watch it on a giant screen with as little OSD shit as possible.

I'll use my smart phone or tablet if I want to Facebook or Twitter or chat, not my fucking TV.

Fredescu

Takes tv input into the xbox interface

I'm not sure how that's much of a benefit for the non hardcore gamer, as the article suggests. If you're the type of person who only plays a game once in a while, why would you complicate things by watching TV through your games console when your cable box or whatever can just go straight into your TV like it has done for the last 30 years?

Danoss

Copied from the PM I sent Danoss:

Ingredients I normally use: Roo, potatoes, swede/turnip, parsnip, carrot, onion, celery, can of peeled tomatoes. Liquids: Beef/vegetable stock, beer (I use coopers pale, but any decent ale are rich lager even would be fine), water. Spices: Pepper, 1/2 bay leaves, 1 garlic clove.

I brown the roo quite well, then chop the galric and add it, crack a bunch of pepper in, add a bit of stock and beer and cook it for a bit, medium heat, low boil, something like that. As long as you cook the roo long enough, it will be tender as fuck and just fall apart, a luxury that doesn't exist if grilling it. Maybe 30 minutes for this stage I guess.

Then I chop the vegetables and check them in, cover in stack and water to taste, add the bayleaves, and boil for about 15 minutes then cover and simmer for about three hours.

The potatoes may get mushy, so you can hold off on putting those in if you are worried by that. I normally do the spuds in two goes. The first few dissolve and thicken the liquid, then some later for texture.

Main thing is to not worry about over cooking it. As long as there is liquid, the worst that will happen is the vegetables will be mushy, it will still taste great, and the roo will be tender.

Here was my lazy man effort that I whipped up using the above info Dead Man gave me.

500g kangaroo, diced (would change to maybe half that, say 300g or so)
4 medium-large carrots, sliced
2 decent sized sticks celery, sliced
1 large brown onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, finely diced
2 largeish parsnips, sliced
2 cups beef stock
1 cup beer (some homebrewed Asahi clone)
400g tin diced tomatoes
1 bay leaf
good amount of pepper
few large dashes Worcestershire sauce

Throw all of the above in a slow cooker, stir and set to low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. When done, mix some of the liquid with about a tablespoon or two corn flour and stir it in to thicken the liquid.

Since the above was just what I had in the house, be sure to add any other vegetables that you wish that are missing from Dead man's recipe above, i.e. turnip/swede and potatoes (do add the potatoes in later or they will be mush).

So what exactly does the Xbone do TV wise that the PS4 doesn't? That article doesn't go into any detail about that.

Interactive TV is a pretty big deal. Look at all the crap the FTA stations push with Fango and whatever else those stupid apps they have is. TV integration is pretty interesting, especially the live stuff. I mean all they showed was fantasy football or basketball or whatever, but that kind of thing could have some pretty good additions to say election coverage or something I am too unimaginitive to think of.

teekun

I'll use my smart phone or tablet if I want to Facebook or Twitter or chat, not my fucking TV.

Exactly. So will everyone else. And that's what I do not understand about Microsoft's strategy here. Everyone has already moved to a second screen for communicating and whatever while watching TV, but they want to move it all to a single screen except when playing games, then you can use smartglass for a second screen for other game stuff, but not for non-game stuff that's all on the first screen and WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY EVEN DOING.

I'm not sure how that's much of a benefit for the non hardcore gamer, as the article suggests. If you're the type of person who only plays a game once in a while, why would you complicate things by watching TV through your games console when your cable box or whatever can just go straight into your TV like it has done for the last 30 years?

It's not.

Johnathon Blow wa on giant bomb a little earlier and he made a pretty good point.

He said they likely have all this data about how often xbox is used for tv vs games and have made their system accordingly. The problem is that even though people watch alot of tv through the xbox thats not the reason they bought it, they bought a games machine and the tv stuff is just a bonus.

jambo

Exactly. So will everyone else. And that's what I do not understand about Microsoft's strategy here. Everyone has already moved to a second screen for communicating and whatever while watching TV, but they want to move it all to a single screen except when playing games, then you can use smartglass for a second screen for other game stuff, but not for non-game stuff that's all on the first screen and WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY EVEN DOING.

It's like they're stuck in this late 90s wonderland, where people were hoping for a single device with multiple services that covered everything.

Over the past 10 or so years though, we've moved more towards the opposite, where you have a few key services over multiple smart devices.

Microsoft just doesn't seem to want to acknowledge that that happened and are just pushing on.

Top Bottom