• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

You know. I've always been worried about racial profiling but I swear to god everyone ignores me for some unknown reason.

6'3, 105kgs, Dark Mediterranean guy.

Never been stopped at all.
Dear lord, you'd have to shave a fuckload before someone would be able to tell you were Mediterranean, so perhaps that's why you don't get stopped.

Arksy, you'll be fine. Just don't make nervous jokes in the airport.

Most of the people of Mediterranean descent in the US have glowing orange skin these days.

I would be careful about saying anything about looking for work when they grill you (they grill everyone) at customs. If you do need to leave the country as part of getting work, think about driving up to Canada, particularly Montreal- that place is something else.)

As for food, you will find it really hard to find anything other than junk food off the interstates. And its pretty nasty.

Also- the worst pizza in the US is probably Mystic Pizza.

Jase- I think he's the guy on the right.

Oh man, thanks.

That makes me feel a better, too. I didn't want to say it, by I totally thought he looked a little panda-ish. I was going to mention that there may have been more of a chance security stopping him for that reason.

Oh shit, I hope that ain't a relative...

Arksy

Arksy, you'll be fine. Just don't make nervous jokes in the airport.

Most of the people of Mediterranean descent in the US have glowing orange skin these days.

I would be careful about saying anything about looking for work when they grill you (they grill everyone) at customs. If you do need to leave the country as part of getting work, think about driving up to Canada, particularly Montreal- that place is something else.)

As for food, you will find it really hard to find anything other than junk food off the interstates. And its pretty nasty.

Also- the worst pizza in the US is probably Mystic Pizza.

Jase- I think he's the guy on the right.

What kind of things do they grill everyone about? I hear that they grill everyone but wasn't entirely sure.

Oh man, thanks.

That makes me feel a better, too. I didn't want to say it, by I totally thought he looked a little panda-ish. I was going to mention that there may have been more of a chance security stopping him for that reason.

Oh shit, I hope that ain't a relative...

lol.

What kind of things do they grill everyone about? I hear that they grill everyone but wasn't entirely sure.

lol.
They always just ask you a whole bunch of confronting questions, rapidfire questions, repeat question and sometimes cutting you off as you're answering their prior question.

Are you coming here to work?
Where you staying?
Know anyone here?
Member of any club?
Do you have drugs in your bags?
Where are you staying?
How long are you here for?
Know anyone here?

etc.

Christ this motherboard is tiny:

ig9WAxW.jpg

What case are you going with?

Have fun Arksy, you'll be alright.

I was also planning a month long USA-Canada holiday this august, but that's pretty much canned now :(

Also, the terrible reviews for Man of Steel are making me sad. The only movie I was looking forward to this month, apart from Despicable Me 2. All my friends overseas who've watched it yesterday were appalled.

Shaneus

Keno card lol trying to win $1,000,000 so we can buy more Skylanders :)

2.5 earth years old the flesh sack is. He is cutest when he is asleep. When he isn't talking back to us and giving us sass.
Daww :) My youngest nephew is around the same age (few months older?).

Pro tip: If you have the fam with you in Geelong and are looking for a kid-friendly place, the Cremorne on Latrobe (next to Kardinia Park... right near K-Caf (Kardinia Cafe)) has been done up nicely and has a kids play area with VIDYA GAMEZ and a ball pit and cameras so you can ignore them at your own will, rather than being forced to.

Oh, and one of their kid's desserts is basically just ice-cream with a shitload of their choice of lollies. The boy will go apeshit from the sugar high before collapsing approx. 23 minutes later (I timed it the other day).

Christ this motherboard is tiny:

ig9WAxW.jpg
Still want that copy of Conker? I've been wanting to play it on BC for a while (I think it's supported) but it's a right cunt trying to find a PAL copy :(

Rubixcuba

Banned
Animal Crossing! FC, quote to see

1160 9740 3408
Added, my friend code is 4811 7058 7854. Feel free to me anybody else, my town can offer you sweet delicious peaches!

Anyone else here have to work split shifts here with their job? Have one today with a 2 hour gap, it's so horribly pointless :(

Went to Segovia today.

We tried the other day but when we got to the station it was already 1pm and the next available train wasn't available until 4pm. Turns out it was actually 2pm when we were at the station as we didn't realise Portugal doesn't have summer time so was GMT+1 and Spain does have summer time so was GMT+2. We just thought our night train somehow arrived an hour early!

Also dropped my phone and the screen is fucked. Dropped it into a store to get it repaired, we'll see what happens. They said they can do it.

Still, Segovia is awesome. We didn't actually get to the station at Segovia until 3:30pm - the station is 5km from the town, inexplicably, so while trying to figure out what to do, I used my meagre Japanese skills to ask a Japanese couple who were also a bit lost to share a cab into the town. Still weird why the station is so far. There was enough time though (we had 4 hours) to see the aqueduct and the Alcazar, both of which are really cool (El Escorial and Avila yesterday were great too, to say Spain liked to spend some of those New World moneys back in the day is an understatement -- the pantheon where Spanish royalty is buried is ONLY marble and gold, pretty much nothing else; the chandelier is 300kg of gold).

And then I bought some 30 euro/kg jamon, because hell yeah jamon. It doesn't get dark here until around 11pm (sunset around 10:30pm, sunrise 6;45am). I don't think they need daylight savings.

Shaneus

I'm probably never going to play it so chuck me shipping and it's yours. It's still shrink wrapped and all.
Now that you mention it, I'm probably never going to play it at all either... I'd like to think I would, but in reality there's slim to bugger-all hope that I'd ever touch it beyond removing it from my mailbox.

Might be able to get a small fortune if it's shrinkwrapped, though. Some people go nuts for that stuff. Hell, make sure it's visible in the UK and someone like their equivalent of Gazunta is just bound to pay a stupid price for it ;)

r1chard

Went to a bistro for the sister-in-laws 30th. Little guy got a little carried away trying to fit in.

20130615_175303puq4x.jpg

Daww. Kids are so cool :)

What pisses me off is all these games that come out now like Jetpack Joyride that have gambling built into them. Like some sort of gateway drug. Er, end rant.

Found out Ikea bookcase flat packs don't fit in my new car, so I went around all the cheap pine furniture places around Nunawading and discovered that holy fuck Ikea are cheap. The crappiest, bare minimum, unfinished pine bookcase I could find was still three times the price of a Billy from Ikea. Damn.

Dropped into Big W yesterday so obv. I thought "oh, I'll just wander past A/V and see if The Last Of Us is there..." lol, at $78 not likely - bare shelves ;-)

What pisses me off is all these games that come out now like Jetpack Joyride that have gambling built into them. Like some sort of gateway drug. Er, end rant.

Yeah I do wish there was an option to turn off the bonus spins.

IS THERE A WAY TO TURN THAT OFF RLAN? MY SON IS TOO GOOD AT GETTING THE DAMN TOKENS :?

Fredescu

In a rush to make the EB Trade in deal thing, I made $200 selling games on OCAU yesterday. So now I'm trying to figure out if it's better to just put that towards getting a US PS4 on Amazon rather than trading the leftovers at EB.

Amazon PS4
+ Will probably arrive sooner
+ $100 cheaper

- hard to return for warranty problems
- possibly needs a step down transformer which eats into savings

EB PS4
+ Trading in games in bulk is easier than dealing with idiots on Ebay/Gumtree
+ Easy to return for warranty
+ Will price match launch deals

- It's EB
- Will probably arrive later than the Amazon one
- "$549"

Buy a 7950 instead
+ PC gaming is best
+ Already have lots of games

- Already have a PC
- Not contributing to the general "Fuck Xbone" movement

Buy a Bass VI
+ Lighter and more strings than my current bass
+ Can be like Robert Smith

- More expensive than all the above
- Robert Smith seems really depressed all the time.

Reading that out now, the EB option doesn't seem so bad. A $50 step down transformer plus potential launch details saving maybe $20, means only saving ~$30 buying from Amazon.

Sorry for the ramble, I've been up since 4am building my PC.

Buy a Titan instead!

In a rush to make the EB Trade in deal thing, I made $200 selling games on OCAU yesterday. So now I'm trying to figure out if it's better to just put that towards getting a US PS4 on Amazon rather than trading the leftovers at EB.

Amazon PS4
+ $100 cheaper

EB PS4

- It's EB
- "$549"

Buy a 7950 instead
+ PC gaming is best

- Already have a PC

Buy a Bass VI

Reading that out now, the EB option doesn't seem so bad. A $50 step down transformer plus potential launch details saving maybe $20, means only saving ~$30 buying from Amazon.

WHERE ARE THE PC PICS!?!?!

Also call up your local EB and get the prices over the phone for trade in, make sure to tell them it would be toward a PS4.

Also you need a step down transformer for a US console? :(

Fredescu

Buy a Titan instead!
Would need to sell a lot more games for that.

WHERE ARE THE PC PICS!?!?!

Progress pic starring my main helper:

qhBrGGy.jpg

Also call up your local EB and get the prices over the phone for trade in, make sure to tell them it would be toward a PS4.

I did and they said since I have more than 20 it's best that I just come in.

Also you need a step down transformer for a US console? :(

Unknown but likely since it has an internal PSU.

r1chard

OK folks, here's the list-o-crap that I want to offload:

PS1
  • Final Fantasy 7
  • Destrucion Derby
  • Pandemonium
  • Ballblazer Champions
  • Wip3out

PS2
  • Original model PS2
  • Destruction Derby Arenas
  • ICO
  • The Simpsons Road Rage
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • Twisted Metal: Black
  • Cars
  • SSX
  • SSX 3
  • Onimusha: Warlords
  • Transformers
  • We Love Katamari

So there you go. Anyone want any of them? I'm tempted to say "take one, take 'em all" :) You pay postage (or figure how to get 'em off me, I work pretty much Melbourne CBD and live in Ringwood) and they're yours. I just want 'em gone :)

Why does everyone have such adorable children!?

Added, my friend code is 4811 7058 7854. Feel free to me anybody else, my town can offer you sweet delicious peaches!

Anyone else here have to work split shifts here with their job? Have one today with a 2 hour gap, it's so horribly pointless :(

Added! 2809-8214-1322

I can only offer cherries :p

Thankfully no, but management HAS tried to push me into an unpaid hour break 2 hours into my 10 hour shift >.>

Went to Segovia today.

We tried the other day but when we got to the station it was already 1pm and the next available train wasn't available until 4pm. Turns out it was actually 2pm when we were at the station as we didn't realise Portugal doesn't have summer time so was GMT+1 and Spain does have summer time so was GMT+2. We just thought our night train somehow arrived an hour early!

Also dropped my phone and the screen is fucked. Dropped it into a store to get it repaired, we'll see what happens. They said they can do it.

Still, Segovia is awesome. We didn't actually get to the station at Segovia until 3:30pm - the station is 5km from the town, inexplicably, so while trying to figure out what to do, I used my meagre Japanese skills to ask a Japanese couple who were also a bit lost to share a cab into the town. Still weird why the station is so far. There was enough time though (we had 4 hours) to see the aqueduct and the Alcazar, both of which are really cool (El Escorial and Avila yesterday were great too, to say Spain liked to spend some of those New World moneys back in the day is an understatement -- the pantheon where Spanish royalty is buried is ONLY marble and gold, pretty much nothing else; the chandelier is 300kg of gold).

And then I bought some 30 euro/kg jamon, because hell yeah jamon. It doesn't get dark here until around 11pm (sunset around 10:30pm, sunrise 6;45am). I don't think they need daylight savings.

Damn, I am so jealous. Post some more pictures when you get the chance!

Fredescu

Wasn't the PS3 internal and all you had to do was change the cable?
Yep. It was a lot bigger though. It's probably cheaper to make them all the same, but they seem to have really emphasised size this time around. Who knows what sort of concessions they had to make to get there.

PS4 has internal PSU, no power brick.

PS1
  • Final Fantasy 7
  • Destrucion Derby
  • Wip3out

PS2
  • ICO
  • The Simpsons Road Rage
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • SSX
  • SSX 3
  • We Love Katamari

So there you go. Anyone want any of them? I'm tempted to say "take one, take 'em all" :) You pay postage (or figure how to get 'em off me, I work pretty much Melbourne CBD and live in Ringwood) and they're yours. I just want 'em gone :)
I would love these! PM how much you are looking for!

Bernbaum

Crysis Warhead is fucking fantastic.

First time I played Crysis 1 and Warhead, it was on my 8800GT setup. Was running the game at a spec slightly higher than what my rig could sensibly handle and endured an occasionally choppy framerate just so I could ogle at the eye candy. Now that I'm playing it on a far more competent piece of hardware, the game is silky smooth and I'm experiencing far more enjoyable firefights than when I played it 4+ years ago.

Warhead has a good mix of old-school PC shooter sensibilities and modern shooter tropes: Lots of weapons can be carried, but yo still have to consider which; levels don't always hold your hand and tell you which way to go but are linear enough to guide the player forward; there will be turret sections but for most of those sections you can choose to not use the turret.

Firefights aren't usually against large numbers of enemies, and nor are those enemies particularly tough. The real challenge is in where the targets are placed in the environment and how you choose to manage the skills available to zero in on your targets and take them out without getting spotted/sniped/shotgunned/outnumbered. The open world nature is what makes it shine. The gunplay mechanics allow for alot of flexibility in level desgin and the game is just as fun in close-quarters indoor facilities as it is in the open air of the island.

It's wonderfully satisfying to enter a new open area, assess the environment for the number and placement of enemies as well as identify weapon caches, sniper roosts, ambush positions etc and then formulate a strategy that is successfully executed. Almost every firefight will make use of the full range of the suit's abilities and despite the rigid nature of enemy AI, can still be as dynamic and adaptive as some of the better moments in Halo.

Such a fantastic game although incredibly short.

Not looking forward to Crysis 2 if, as I've heard, the open world elements are largely repealed.

Yeah I would have loved a Crysis Warhead 2, distilled the franchise down to a package similar to FC3 Blood Dragon & Call of Juarez Gunslinger.

All killer no filler.

Also a pomb

Deeku

Animal Crossing! FC, quote to see

1160 9740 3408

Why does everyone have such adorable children!?

Added! 2809-8214-1322
ok added all your asses, though i probably can't play cos... router related dmz blocked ports internet i don't really know. can try though!

1375-8571-8610

i have all da fruits!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Next week is the finale of Hannibal. Fuck it's been a good show, really good, More people need to get on board.

Been some good original tv lately.

Amazon PS4
+ $100 cheaper

EB PS4

- It's EB
- "$549"

Buy a 7950 instead
+ PC gaming is best

- Already have a PC

Buy a Bass VI

I'm going to do the remarkable and come to EB's defence here. For the bolded, that is Sony's fault, not EB's.

So, I now seem to be $350 dollars closer to owning a PS4. $200 for a next gen system seems acceptable, I guess. First launch console since the N64.

:/

PS1
  • Final Fantasy 7
  • Destrucion Derby
  • Pandemonium
  • Ballblazer Champions
  • Wip3out

PS2
  • Original model PS2
  • Destruction Derby Arenas
  • ICO
  • The Simpsons Road Rage
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • Cars
  • SSX
  • SSX 3
  • Transformers
  • We Love Katamari

Man. :-( i could get to the cbd no big deal but i wouldn't be able to afford whatever your asking.

Top Bottom