• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Okay, getting ready to pull the trigger. What do I have on here that is unneeded or stupid? What am I missing? Use will mainly be gaming and streaming media. I have no PC at the moment so I need everything I will need.

i wouldnt get thsoe extra fans but what do i know

Arksy

Probably more than me :) $15 saved.

What's your budget?

Are you adding that screen to ones you have now for multi-mon displays?

Or are you only going to be using one screen?

It matters because a 670 might be overkill for a single 1080p screen. You might be able to get away with a fair bit less.

(For reference my friend uses one 670 OC card and gets max settings/60fps on Tomb Raider on a 30" 1440p screen)

Dead Man

What's your budget?

Are you adding that screen to ones you have now for multi-mon displays?

Or are you only going to be using one screen?

It matters because a 670 might be overkill for a single 1080p screen. You might be able to get away with a fair bit less.

(For reference my friend uses one 670 OC card and gets max settings/60fps on Tomb Raider on a 30" 1440p screen)

I would be getting a different screen later, that is just a cheap well reviewed one to start with. Budget is pretty whatever it takes, but I don't want to buying shit I don't need. I do tend to get to the point of almost buying a PC a couple of times a year, but always hold off to see what is out soon.

See, now I'm second guesing again and thinking about waiting a few months again. Damn it, I hate buying a whole PC, I never should have stopped PC gaming.

Maybe I will wait until the house is sold and then do it.

Arksy

I would be getting a different screen later, that is just a cheap well reviewed one to start with. Budget is pretty whatever it takes, but I don't want to buying shit I don't need. I do tend to get to the point of almost buying a PC a couple of times a year, but always hold off to see what is out soon.

See, now I'm second guesing again and thinking about waiting a few months again. Damn it, I hate buying a whole PC, I never should have stopped PC gaming.

Maybe I will wait until the house is sold and then do it.

Don't hold off any longer.

The only parts that need constant upgrading on the PC are video card and RAM. I'd suggest getting 16gb honestly.

I'd also suggest you get the 7970 unless you hate AMD. It's performs incredibly well according to most benchmarks and easily stacks up and sometimes surpasses the 680 and is only $19 more than the 670 OC. EDIT: According to MSY it's actualy $4 cheaper to get the OC gigabyte version, do that!

Regardless of whatever you get, those are the two parts you'll need to upgrade first. Your CPU and mobo might even be good for a large portion of the next generation.

Edit: No you should never have stopped PC gaming. Now is when it's getting really damn interesting. More ports are coming to PC now than in the entire generation and with similar architectures for Xbox and PS4 to PC, expect a lot more.

Edit 2: Forgive my ramblings I'm quite delirious at the moment due to fatigue. :D

Dead Man

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=592561 LOL

Don't hold off any longer.

The only parts that need constant upgrading on the PC are video card and RAM. I'd suggest getting 16gb honestly.

I'd also suggest you get the 7970 unless you hate AMD. It's performs incredibly well according to most benchmarks and easily stacks up and sometimes surpasses the 680 and is only $19 more than the 670 OC. EDIT: According to MSY it's actualy $4 cheaper to get the OC gigabyte version, do that!

Regardless of whatever you get, those are the two parts you'll need to upgrade first. Your CPU and mobo might even be good for a large portion of the next generation.

Edit: No you should never have stopped PC gaming. Now is when it's getting really damn interesting. More ports are coming to PC now than in the entire generation and with similar architectures for Xbox and PS4 to PC, expect a lot more.

Edit 2: Forgive my ramblings I'm quite delirious at the moment due to fatigue. :D

I'll see what my poor old brain can cope with, but you are ertainly right on Edit1 :) Cheers for the help too.

Toledo is cool. Really pretty medieval town, it used to be the capital of Spain, the whole town is protected so it hasn't been modernised.

Took the fast train (not as fast as French TGV or Japanese Shinkansen) there and had return tickets, but friends gave us a lift back instead (probably took longer!).

There's a hotel out of town with a great view of the town, you can get in if you're staying there or buy something from their terrace overlooking the town. I just walked in, took some photos, turned and walked out. No one even seemed to notice.

It's easier to be yelled at in a language you don't understand though. When trying to find our train from Madrid to Toledo this morning, we thought we were going to miss it. We found the roped off line, ducked underneath as it was quicker, and someone proceeded to yell with security swarming us. We went out of the line, lined up properly (no one else there, mind) and showed the power hungry lady our tickets so we could put our bags in the scanner (no metal detector so I could be carrying anything... it's a domestic train for fuck's sake) and then lined up to have our tickets checked again elsewhere...

Spain is like this everywhere. Unwritten rules, no information explaining anything (even seen locals looking confused), etc. I just shrug now and say "eh, Spain" quite a few times a day now.

But hey, I drank a bunch of port (white port!) so whatever.

Dead Man

Toledo is cool. Really pretty medieval town, it used to be the capital of Spain, the whole town is protected so it hasn't been modernised.

Took the fast train (not as fast as French TGV or Japanese Shinkansen) there and had return tickets, but friends gave us a lift back instead (probably took longer!).

There's a hotel out of town with a great view of the town, you can get in if you're staying there or buy something from their terrace overlooking the town. I just walked in, took some photos, turned and walked out. No one even seemed to notice.

It's easier to be yelled at in a language you don't understand though. When trying to find our train from Madrid to Toledo this morning, we thought we were going to miss it. We found the roped off line, ducked underneath as it was quicker, and someone proceeded to yell with security swarming us. We went out of the line, lined up properly (no one else there, mind) and showed the power hungry lady our tickets so we could put our bags in the scanner (no metal detector so I could be carrying anything... it's a domestic train for fuck's sake) and then lined up to have our tickets checked again elsewhere...

Spain is like this everywhere. Unwritten rules, no information explaining anything (even seen locals looking confused), etc. I just shrug now and say "eh, Spain" quite a few times a day now.

But hey, I drank a bunch of port (white port!) so whatever.

So true. Might be part of why some tourists are dicks. Doesn't excuse Americans though, although they do consider British ENglish a foreign language, so maybe.

How is white port?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
God damn. The digital foundry screengrabs of the last of us .. Fuck that is one ugly game. That's pretty much current gen though, aliasing everywhere, blocky shadows, christ console gaming is hard to look at now. It's just messy, There's nothing clean about it.

Hurry up next gen. I want some aliasing and clean looking images.

Jintor

Fuck my life chasing people for interviews is the worst, been after this guy for like two months and I still can't get a committed response either way

There's a little reason called the Madrid bombing why there are metal detectors in train stations all over Spain. Jamon is the best. It's a staple over there and a ridiculously expensive luxury food here so eat all you can!

Gazunta

Jintor you should interview me I won't leave you hanging

It's Monday morning and I don't want to be at work

So far resisting the urge to buy Animal Crossing, hoping I can hold out until my next plane trip...but 80% of my Twitter feed talking about it isn't helping! Can you unlock old games in it like you could with the GameCube version? That was awesome.

Rahk

The only Animal Crossing I've played is the DS one. I played it for a couple hours, found it boring and never touched it again. Should I get the 3DS one or avoid?

Fredescu

Your build is fine. More than fine, it's sweet. If you want to save money you can. If you want a bit more performance for a bit more money, you can have that too. The only change I would consider would be the video card.

For an extra $50 this GTX770 is a fairly decent jump in performance: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_1486&products_id=23604

Without spending any more money than you have, this HD7970 OC will give you similar performance to the GTX770 and with a bunch of free games (make sure you check with the retailer that the coupon is in the box): http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_1309&products_id=19269

For an $80 saving on your current build, this HD7950 will give you pretty good performance (trades blows with the GTX670) and some free games too (check for coupon etc): http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_1311&products_id=22854

Wii JB accept UK copies of games for trade in?

I only have potentially related help for this, but EB told me that they would accept UK versions for trade in, but they knock a few dollars off. I kept my UK versions to sell separately.

teekun

The new Animal Crossing is basically just more of the old Animal Crossing but with WAY more shit in it. It's fantastic... if you like Animal Crossing.

The Last Of Us is fucking amazing too, although I guess I can see how you'd think it's ugly if you're a PC gamer. One of the best looking console games I've ever played, though. Naughty Dog knows their shit when it comes to character modelling and animation. Even during gameplay its crazy how natural it all feels.

jambo

God damn. The digital foundry screengrabs of the last of us .. Fuck that is one ugly game. That's pretty much current gen though, aliasing everywhere, blocky shadows, christ console gaming is hard to look at now. It's just messy, There's nothing clean about it.

Hurry up next gen. I want some aliasing and clean looking images.

The cutscenes are pre-rendered in ultra high quality mode, so hopefully the game gets a PS4 release with that as the in-game quality setting.

Shaneus

The new Animal Crossing is basically just more of the old Animal Crossing but with WAY more shit in it. It's fantastic... if you like Animal Crossing.
I've only experienced Animal Crossing (not actually played, per se... but watched) a small number of times. The only significant thing that stayed with me was K.K. Slider.

Is he still in it?

i looove animal crossing but i dont know why
I think I answered your question.

Jintor

Yes, but I haven't seen him yet. I'll probably have to expand Main Street or wait until he moves in or something...

I ran into a shipwrecked sailor on the beach this morning when I went down to collect seashells. And then a present tied to a balloon drifted across the river and I couldn't catch it :<

teekun

K.K. Slider is definitely in it. Picked up the guide book for my girlfriend and theres like 10 pages just for listing all the K.K Slider tracks you can get.

i looove animal crossing but i dont know why

I'm pretty sure that if anyone ever figured out what they loved about Animal Crossing, they would immediately stop loving Animal Crossing.

Also, just wait until you guys unlock the island. So much shark fishing and bug catching. I spent about 20 minutes there last night and came home with about 100,000 worth of stuff to sell.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
animal crossing is amazing.

ive just set up an apple orchard (non native) and put the town to wealth, so now im popping out about 150 apples every 3 - 4 days selling them at like 600 each!

Deeku

ehhh, that's not worth the effort or very efficient what with the island and bug catchin.

the island kinda ruined the game for me honestly, money gets so easy it's not even funny. but i guess there's so much more to spend money on, and the mortgages seem a lot more than before

Omikron

Video Games I Played This Weekend:

Saints Row 3 - Game still feels kinda janky to play (mouse in particular) and I could not give any shits about what is happening in the game. The humour still doesn't appeal at all.

Skyrim - Retrospectively this game is... technically a mess. The mouse feels all fucking wrong, but I still really dig the environment I am in, will probably revisit again as I just kicked off some of the DLC.

FM13 - Back down the rabbit hole.

Left 4 Dead 2 - MP game with Rep/Bern/Jambo, still awesome fun.

Your build is fine. More than fine, it's sweet. If you want to save money you can. If you want a bit more performance for a bit more money, you can have that too. The only change I would consider would be the video card.

Eh, my computer was out of action for like 6 months after I bought it, and even now, 2-3 years later it runs everything on high-max and everything I got at the time was very good, just before i think sandy bridge came out.

so just buy it and stop worrying about getting the literal latest and greatest. the second latest and greatest is still fucking amazing.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
ehhh, that's not worth the effort or very efficient what with the island and bug catchin.

the island kinda ruined the game for me honestly, money gets so easy it's not even funny. but i guess there's so much more to spend money on, and the mortgages seem a lot more than before

sif it isnt...

you can hold 144 pieces of fruit at once.. at 600 a pop thats 86400 bells

teekun

dude

you get 300k+ from the island in 30 mins...

Yup. Beetle and Shark catching all day every day.

Tropical fruit are SO not worth the effort either. They sell for way less than a native fruit from someone else's town. I planted a shit load of durians, lemons and lychees before I figured this out and now I want to chop them all down.

Deeku

Yup. Beetle and Shark catching all day every day.

Tropical fruit are SO not worth the effort either. They sell for way less than a native fruit from someone else's town. I planted a shit load of durians, lemons and lychees before I figured this out and now I want to chop them all down.
it's really sad though. what i loved about the original (and the ds game, skipped wii) was the slow buildup of wealth that you'd get from fishing red snapper, selling fossils you already donated, striking it lucky with turnips one week, selling the droids, selling non native fruit....etc

now it's just open the island and you win. everything else is kinda meaningless. they should have balanced it better or something, i dunnno.

Paz

Help me ausgaffers, are there any good deals left to be had on the 3DS XL? I'm in Brisbane and trying to pick one up for a friend as a birthday present, but everyone just seems to have it at RRP and every bundle has been sold out for months.

I guess this is what happens when your handheld doesn't have enough competition :/

Dead Man

For an extra $50 this GTX770 is a fairly decent jump in performance: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_1486&products_id=23604

Without spending any more money than you have, this HD7970 OC will give you similar performance to the GTX770 and with a bunch of free games (make sure you check with the retailer that the coupon is in the box): http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_1309&products_id=19269

For an $80 saving on your current build, this HD7950 will give you pretty good performance (trades blows with the GTX670) and some free games too (check for coupon etc): http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_1311&products_id=22854
LOL, your build is fine, but think about all these options! :) Nah, just joking, thanks for the advice and options. I do think I will wait a bit longer. My car is at the mechanics and almost finished after a year, so that will be a big bill, and demolishing the house so we can sell the lot will cost a bit too, I think it makes more sense to get those out of the way, get the funds from the sale, and then just buy some good shit without having to second guess my budget.

Grrrr. Being sensible really sucks, it's why I almost never do it.

Fredescu

Help me ausgaffers, are there any good deals left to be had on the 3DS XL? I'm in Brisbane and trying to pick one up for a friend as a birthday present, but everyone just seems to have it at RRP and every bundle has been sold out for months.

I guess this is what happens when your handheld doesn't have enough competition :/

I assume you can't wait a few weeks, but this is a decent deal: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature....1_pe04a/?ie=UTF8&tag=ozba-21&docId=1000727133

If you get the silver XL with Mario, it works out to be about $210 shipped.

Top Bottom