• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Rubixcuba

Banned
Crysis Warhead is fucking fantastic.

Finished it over 2 days, Warhead was a delicious blend of arcadey gunplay and top tier graphics. Really wish Crytek had continued to make the series in that kind of vein besides the more Call of Dutyesque gameplay of Crysis 2 and 3.

Arksy

Thanks guys!

Still tempted to buy a vita for downtime purposes during the US trip. The PS+ store looks pretty damn sweet, choccas with stuff.

A Vita purchase would be worth it for access to the PSP digital library alone, if you never owned one, and even if no other Vita games ever came out. Guacamelee, Gravity Daze and Dragon's Crown both look amazing.

That said, I've reached a stage in my life wherein one system alone is enough to sustain me, and that system right now is 3DS. I still want a Vita, but I don't NEEDS it like I might have ten years ago, so I'm content to wait for price drops.

Arksy

A Vita purchase would be worth it for access to the PSP digital library alone, if you never owned one, and even if no other Vita games ever came out. Guacamelee, Gravity Daze and Dragon's Crown both look amazing.

That said, I've reached a stage in my life wherein one system alone is enough to sustain me, and that system right now is 3DS. I still want a Vita, but I don't NEEDS it like I might have ten years ago, so I'm content to wait for price drops.

Does the Vita have the entire PSP catalogue available digitally?? That's pretty impressive.

Fredescu

So, I now seem to be $350 dollars closer to owning a PS4. $200 for a next gen system seems acceptable, I guess. First launch console since the N64.

:/

And I'm $250 closer. Not bad for a bunch of shit games. I don't think I got the N64 at launch but I got it quite early on and I remember being very disappointed by the experience, especially after trading in my SNES for it. So the PS4 will be my first near launch console since the N64. Bring on the disappointment.

Dead Man

Classy shit in politics again this morning...

Piers Akermann on Insiders trying to justify, something. http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/po...ignites-sexuality-outrage-20130616-2obvp.html

Liberal MP suggesting that miners are 'pussy whipped' by Gillard and Julie Bishop defended it. http://www.news.com.au/national-new...by-julia-gillard/story-e6frfkw9-1226076977686

Australia. Fuck yeah.

http://theaimn.com/2013/06/16/would-you-want-to-be-the-next-australian-female-prime-minister/

Joe Hockey the man from the opposition party who expects to be our next Treasurer tweeted “Gillard’s comments on abortion and the Coalition are desperate and offensive. She has never deserved respect and will never receive it.”

I'm going to say I would not want to be.

Bought DS and 360 at launch.

Dem launch droughts
le sigh

Gear of War and Oblivion made the 360 window not too bad, mainly since our launch was like 6 months later than the US anyway lol

DS was dust city for years.

Fredescu

Need more pics and impressions. Stat.

It was actually surprisingly easy to put together. One of my easiest builds to date, and I've done dozens. I think partially because it's so easy to move the case around and you don't need much workspace. I could work on the whole thing just by pushing my keyboard back a little bit on my normal desk. The one disappointment was the drive cage screws were a bit stuffed. I had to get out my 30cm long screwdriver to get them out. Apart from that it's been a breeze. With the fan speed set to low you can barely hear it with the box open sitting right in front of your face. I'm about to install the OS. I haven't put a full size GPU in it yet though, have a bit of shuffling between systems before I can free one up.

It was actually surprisingly easy to put together. One of my easiest builds to date, and I've done dozens. I think partially because it's so easy to move the case around and you don't need much workspace. I could work on the whole thing just by pushing my keyboard back a little bit on my normal desk. The one disappointment was the drive cage screws were a bit stuffed. I had to get out my 30cm long screwdriver to get them out. Apart from that it's been a breeze. With the fan speed set to low you can barely hear it with the box open sitting right in front of your face. I'm about to install the OS. I haven't put a full size GPU in it yet though, have a bit of shuffling between systems before I can free one up.

Thanks for that. It looks neat. Please keep us
me
updated once you've put in the full size gpu. What PSU did you go with as from what I've read it has to be a certain length or it won't fit.

They need to make all PSP stuff Vita compatible. I wonder if there's a reason why they wouldn't... I'd kill for Lumineses and E3 on there :(
(This is their reasoning) Each game needs to be tested for compatibility. In each region. By each arm of SCE. At their own pace.

Real reason: Hate money. Afraid of hacking exploits. Laziness.

In the case of Lumineseseses: music licensing. I am 99.99999999999% certain never be on PSN.

And I'm $250 closer. Not bad for a bunch of shit games. I don't think I got the N64 at launch but I got it quite early on and I remember being very disappointed by the experience, especially after trading in my SNES for it. So the PS4 will be my first near launch console since the N64. Bring on the disappointment.
Yeah, I only ever once traded in a console plus all of my games in order for a new console. That trade was a SNES and a large amount of games for a PS1 and a couple of games. The trade in money didn't even cover the full cost, so I had to put in a lot of my own money towards it. Never again; I regret that decision even to this day. Trading in everything only to have a game or two and then weather the post-release lack of money to justify more games was not a sensible decision.

Heck, buying a N64 wasn't the best console decision I've ever made. It did however begin my conditioning of viewing Nintendo home consoles as "the Mario machine," in that it would only ever really be bought for much more than first party games.

Thankfully (and the reason why I wasn't sure about doing the trade-ins) is that I've still got plenty to play from this - and past - gens that I really won't be perturbed by any shortages in games coming out in the year or so after release. The tipping point for me was that I had a lot of games sitting in my wardrobe that I was never likely to play again and I can't see any point in the future where the PS4's price-point would be at the $200 mark.

I'm sure that's a testimonial that Sony will be happy to put in their marketing material.

Deeku

Fl5t2bF.jpg

AC-ing with shan!

also, turns out AC online works on my cruddy router, yay! fruit for everyone!

Deeku

oooh I didn't know you could take pictures! Thanks again for helping me change that awful bowlcut into a slightly less awful bowlcut :p Next time we should try organising a time and meeting up for more funtimes!
heh, there are guides to see which choices lead to which hairdo but it's kinda more fun without the guide.

there's not really that much to do online for ac. mostly it's just seeing what other people's towns/houses are like and trading stuff. i guess once everyone unlocks the island we can do those multiplayer minigame things.

Shaneus

(This is their reasoning) Each game needs to be tested for compatibility. In each region. By each arm of SCE. At their own pace.

Real reason: Hate money. Afraid of hacking exploits. Laziness.

In the case of Lumineseseses: music licensing. I am 99.99999999999% certain never be on PSN.
I think you're right. There is compatibility issues with some games from what I can tell (from when I was running CFW, there was the odd game that had problems) but the licensing thing is probably the most likely thing, sadly :(

Such a bitch, all I want is an all-in-one device that can play my Lumines games legitimately :(

Fredescu

Thanks for that. It looks neat. Please keep us
me
updated once you've put in the full size gpu. What PSU did you go with as from what I've read it has to be a certain length or it won't fit.

This was the full build: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=62764496&postcount=4106

So I kinda spent $175 on the PSU if you include the cable kit which is a bit extravagant. I changed the cooler from a top down to a tower one. It takes a bit of maneuvering to get the motherboard in with the tower attached, but as long as you put the motherboard in first it's fine. I read in some reviews that standoffs were hard to install but as long as you have a small socket set, it's fine.

Yeah, I only ever once traded in a console plus all of my games in order for a new console. That trade was a SNES and a large amount of games for a PS1 and a couple of games. The trade in money didn't even cover the full cost, so I had to put in a lot of my own money towards it. Never again; I regret that decision even to this day. Trading in everything only to have a game or two and then weather the post-release lack of money to justify more games was not a sensible decision.

That describes my experience almost exactly, except that the SNES went towards the N64.

Thankfully (and the reason why I wasn't sure about doing the trade-ins) is that I've still got plenty to play from this - and past - gens that I really won't be perturbed by any shortages in games coming out in the year or so after release. The tipping point for me was that I had a lot of games sitting in my wardrobe that I was never likely to play again and I can't see any point in the future where the PS4's price-point would be at the $200 mark.

This was the same too! I have enough crappy games that I won't miss, and plenty of stuff still to play, and the pricepoint is low enough, that it doesn't seem too silly.

Shaneus

Finished it over 2 days, Warhead was a delicious blend of arcadey gunplay and top tier graphics. Really wish Crytek had continued to make the series in that kind of vein besides the more Call of Dutyesque gameplay of Crysis 2 and 3.
Fuck, THAT'S what Warhead is? I was never sure, I think I just got it in a bundle with Crysis for cheap on Steam or something. I should play it then.

Warhead is what I thought Crytek thought was making a CoD game. Which was awesome. Take the awesome things about Crysis, filter it down to action action action, and you have some fun on the bun.
Although then we got Crysis 2. Which was okay but pales in comparison.

I think you're right. There is compatibility issues with some games from what I can tell (from when I was running CFW, there was the odd game that had problems) but the licensing thing is probably the most likely thing, sadly :(

Such a bitch, all I want is an all-in-one device that can play my Lumines games legitimately :(

After the Medievil fiasco Sony have been coy about getting PSP games compatible with Vita.

Backwards compatibility with stuff that isn't for sale any more is easy, stuff that you are still selling but don't know will work in 90% of cases makes for a legal nightmare.

This was the full build: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=62764496&postcount=4106

So I kinda spent $175 on the PSU if you include the cable kit which is a bit extravagant. I changed the cooler from a top down to a tower one. It takes a bit of maneuvering to get the motherboard in with the tower attached, but as long as you put the motherboard in first it's fine. I read in some reviews that standoffs were hard to install but as long as you have a small socket set, it's fine.

You certainly went high end. After doing some more reading if I decide to go the sff route (which I really like the idea of) I will definitely go the 304.

Dead Man

Okay, getting ready to pull the trigger. What do I have on here that is unneeded or stupid? What am I missing? Use will mainly be gaming and streaming media. I have no PC at the moment so I need everything I will need.

Arksy

Okay, getting ready to pull the trigger. What do I have on here that is unneeded or stupid? What am I missing? Use will mainly be gaming and streaming media. I have no PC at the moment so I need everything I will need.

Looks pretty good I gotta say...you're buying all of it online? I had assumed the cards would get cheaper when the new generation launches in a few weeks....

Fredescu

Shit, there's new cards? There's always new something!!!! (>_<)
They're already out. The 770 is basically a 680 but with a nicer price tag. If you can spare another $50 on your build it's probably worth it.

Also if you're not dead against the red team, they come with a bunch of free games now. The 7950/7970 is around what you're looking at.

Kritz

Banned

I swear that pc looks identical to the one I bought - except an extra HDD and some fans - yet it costs like $400 more.

Then again I did kinda buy stuff on a budget.

Dead Man

They're already out. The 770 is basically a 680 but with a nicer price tag. If you can spare another $50 on your build it's probably worth it.

Also if you're not dead against the red team, they come with a bunch of free games now. The 7950/7970 is around what you're looking at.
Cool, thanks. I'll check them out. By the red team you mean AMD?

I swear that pc looks identical to the one I bought - except an extra HDD and some fans - yet it costs like $400 more.

Then again I did kinda buy stuff on a budget.

I'll keep looking around for the best prices, the shipping cost for all that is only about $60 if I don't get express, so if I buy from seperate shops everything will need to be alot cheaper unless somewhere does pickup in Adelaide.

Shaneus

After the Medievil fiasco Sony have been coy about getting PSP games compatible with Vita.

Backwards compatibility with stuff that isn't for sale any more is easy, stuff that you are still selling but don't know will work in 90% of cases makes for a legal nightmare.
Medieval fiasco?

PS. Thanks for the info on Warhead. Really must make a point of firing it up, then. Is it graphically closer to Crysis or Crysis 2?

Deeku

oh. my. god!

go to buy suit. get chick to bring me all the ones on sale in my size. pick the one i like. fits good. she pins everything. i think for like 20 mins. ok buy it. chick fills in all the tailoring forms. go to register, "oh wooooooops, sorry sir this isn't on sale, it's new season".......

what.the.fuck! incompetence to the freakin max yo

way to waste like 2 hours of my time

Medieval fiasco?

PS. Thanks for the info on Warhead. Really must make a point of firing it up, then. Is it graphically closer to Crysis or Crysis 2?
PSOne version of Medievil went up for sale on PSN, had some major bugs, pulled from store for a few months.

Warhead is Crysis level graphics.

Top Bottom