• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Bernbaum said:
Dr Pepper is a delicious soft drink for cool people. There's a neat little international confectioner near Brisbane's Central train station that sells cans at $2.50 which is bad news for suckers like me.

Do they also stock peanut butter m&m's bern?
that would be the death of me.

Choc

Banned
is anyone else playing Driver SF :<

i'm 2/3 through the game and it really is fuck awesome if you like arcade racing games.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Another day, another myki card swipe that gives me a red light.

This time I just said bugger it and kept walking ;_; the guilt is eating at me

Choc

Banned
HolyCheck said:

Oyster is instant even online

how the fuck has victoria fucked this up SO BAD. for half the price they paid they could have licenced Londons system

HolyCheck said:

Your myki experience is single handidly explaining to my why people hate it. I just assumed it was like Brissie's gocard which is close to the easiest thing to deal with in the world.

And with all that talk of milk bars, it reminded me, my bosses son is the new milky bar kid. It would be pretty hilarious, if anyone ate milky bars anymore

Omikron

I have no idea what HolyCheck is doing with his myki.

I agree that using online should be 'instant', but that is purely due to design choices they took and it just can't happen. So, just use the fucking machines, its instant and actually easier to use (even if the touchscreen layout and design has been done by someone with a graduate design degree and not something that is usefully laid out and easy to read.)

Bernbaum

Marshmellow said:
Do they also stock peanut butter m&m's bern?
that would be the death of me.
Not sure if they have them but everyone tells me delicious. They used to be the only place to get Reese's Peanut Butter Cups but there are heaps of places stocking them now.

FallbackPants said:
Your myki experience is single handidly explaining to my why people hate it. I just assumed it was like Brissie's gocard which is close to the easiest thing to deal with in the world.
The GoCard is fine provided you always have it on you and it's cashed up. Getting stuck without it can be a bit of a headache and it'd be nice if QR and the buses still retained their Daily and Weekly paper passes. You kind of need to subscribe to the philosophy of the GoCard and everything is fine (much like Apple products!).

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Once you enable auto-top-up, you never really worry about it.

Yea i have done this, no worries.

Bernbaum said:
Not sure if they have them but everyone tells me delicious. They used to be the only place to get Reese's Peanut Butter Cups but there are heaps of places stocking them now.

God yes they are good. Got a name for the place? ill go have a look-see sometime this week

Bernbaum said:

The GoCard is fine provided you always have it on you and it's cashed up. Getting stuck without it can be a bit of a headache and it'd be nice if QR and the buses still retained their Daily and Weekly paper passes. You kind of need to subscribe to the philosophy of the GoCard and everything is fine (much like Apple products!).

Totally, if you don't have a gocard or left it somewhere then it is a major pain in the arse to catch public transport. I understand that they're trying to get everyone to use a gocard, but it means buses and ferries (train stations at least have ticket booths and the big blue boxes) are expensive and a pain to use for tourists and people from out of town.

In other news, I've got a day off today after I had a training day on Saturday. God it's amazing. I'm loving it already

Agyar

Bernbaum said:
Go Cards are shitty on busses. They'll often fail to register properly, which is a pain in the arse when you're getting off. More annoyingly, I've had the system on the bus die mid-trip, so you can't touch off and then get hit with a penalty. This has become less prevalent recently but losing money for nothing sucks.

HolyCheck

Omi said:

I agree that using online should be 'instant', but that is purely due to design choices they took and it just can't happen. So, just use the fucking machines, its instant and actually easier to use (even if the touchscreen layout and design has been done by someone with a graduate design degree and not something that is usefully laid out and easy to read.)

I'd rather not walk up to a machine with $200 and put it in there... trainstations are dodgy places

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Once you enable auto-top-up, you never really worry about it.

Yeah I've gone to do this.. but they require me to fill in paper forms?

Also... just to make sure.. everyone else had to pay for their myki card right? or did I get fleeced :( The man at the train station sold it to me for $10 with no credit on it. The reason this annoys me is because if I want to get a refund on anything I have on the card, I have to fill in paper forms, pay a $10 fee.. and give them my card to get the refund...

Omikron

HolyCheck said:
I'd rather not walk up to a machine with $200 and put it in there... trainstations are dodgy places

You have a debit/credit/eftpos card yes?

I haven't put cash into a ticket machine in years.

Also, nope at paying for myki, 'pre-ordering' got you a free one.

r1chard

Omi said:

The touchscreen interfaces have to be some of the worst user interfaces I've EVER used.

1. on the recharge machine: if you want to top up your myki pass you place your card on the machine and the first button you must press (and it's not clear until someone points this out) is BACK. Then you can top up your goddamn pass.
2. on the touch on/off pedestals it just shows the expiry date (in a really small font - and I have GOOD eyesight). Why the fuck can't it just give me a big, clear "you have N days of pass left". Hell, even just showing the current date clearly would help people know their pass is about to run out.
3. the info pedestals were clearly designed by an engineer. Worst interface ever.

And don't get me started on the complete fuckup that is combining myki money and myki pass on the same card.

Oh, and if you have auto-topup on your myki money account DO NOT LET THE CREDIT CARD EXPIRE! Two friends have had that happen to them and you enter a world of pain.

Omikron

If this gets up, I will laugh for a very, very long time.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/ruling-opens-door-for-nauru-class-action-20110905-1jubv.html

ASYLUM seekers sent to Nauru by the Howard government - and the families of those who died after being returned to Afghanistan - could now sue, lawyers have told the Herald.

George Newhouse, of Shine Lawyers, said the firm is investigating whether there was a class action for the wrongful removal of detainees from Australia to Nauru on the basis that the minister's declaration of Nauru ''as a declared country'' under section 198A of the Migration Act was invalid.

Mr Newhouse said there may be statute of limitation concerns, but this and other issues were being compiled into a brief to the former Federal Court judge Ron Merkel, QC.
Advertisement: Story continues below

The opposition wants to reopen Nauru for offshore processing, but the federal government has argued last week's High Court decision not only knocks out its Malaysia deal, but also prevents the removal of asylum seekers from Australia to Nauru and Papua New Guinea.

Stephen Estcourt, QC, in a written opinion for the Edmund Rice Centre, agreed yesterday that the High Court's ruling meant that removing asylum seekers to Nauru or Papua New Guinea under Section 198A was invalid.

Mr Estcourt told the Herald this opened the ''distinct possibility'' that asylum seekers sent to Nauru by the Howard government could sue.

''They would have been removed under a statute that didn't allow their removal … The potential is there for not just wrongful removal, but wrongful detention,'' he said.

The agreement between Australia and Nauru signed in 2001 ''cannot be practically enforced or relied upon''.

The Edmund Rice Centre director, Phil Glendenning, said nine Afghans who had been held on Nauru and were sent back to Afghanistan died, including children. Others developed mental illness. ''Having seen what Nauru did last time, we just can't go there again,'' Mr Glendenning said.

Mr Newhouse sued the Howard government on behalf of Vivian Alvarez Solon, who was illegally removed from an Australian immigration detention to the Philippines in 2001, and was awarded $4.5 million. Another client, Cornelia Rau, who was wrongfully detained, was awarded $2.6 million.

The Immigration Minister, Chris Bowen, said yesterday the 335 asylum seekers who had arrived after the Malaysia deal was signed would be processed in Australia. ''That's the right thing to do,'' he said.

The immigration department said it was looking at options to school a large group of unaccompanied teenagers.

Bernbaum

Agyar said:
Go Cards are shitty on busses. They'll often fail to register properly, which is a pain in the arse when you're getting off. More annoyingly, I've had the system on the bus die mid-trip, so you can't touch off and then get hit with a penalty. This has become less prevalent recently but losing money for nothing sucks.
That, and Brisbane city bus drivers hate life and everyone around them. Spend more than a second longer than is normally required to touch on, and you're on the receiving end of a surly grumble.

Tonight I fly to Sydney for the recording of Insight's 'Hacktivism' feature on SBS. The fact that the show is usually a forum for important issues and I'm there to talk about my Playstation 3 isn't lost on me. As absurd as my contribution may sound (friends and colleagues who I've told want me to act like a dick on TV) I am treating it seriously and hope that my personal experience, however trivial, is of value to the discussion. The show won't be broadcast for a couple of weeks and I'll likely be overseas for work when it goes to air.

Choc

Banned
its amazing that given Brisvegas and Melbourne have it that Australias biggest fucking city and so called economic powerhouse does not have a fucking system yet

Bernbaum

v7s00i.png

HolyCheck

Gazunta said:
My new office has a cafe that you can send down orders to.

They have a Chicken Parma.

Is it Chicken Schnitzel Parmigiana or just Crumbed Chicken Breast Parmigiana?

And if it is Chicken Schnitzel, is the Parmigiana the only option? Or is it Chicken Schnitzel then you pick your toppings?

Jintor

Choc said:
is anyone else playing Driver SF :<

i'm 2/3 through the game and it really is fuck awesome if you like arcade racing games.

Do my equity assignment for me, then I'll have more free time

I adore the conversations before street missions, wish there were more of them. It's hilarious when Tanner just hijacks the flow of conversation too

Choc

Banned
Jintor said:
Do my equity assignment for me, then I'll have more free time

I adore the conversations before street missions, wish there were more of them. It's hilarious when Tanner just hijacks the flow of conversation too

exactly

its that attention to detail that shows Reflections finally got it right again. The shifting into random cars and then people in the middle of stuff is brilliant

also brilliant is the strategies you have to employ to beat some missions. So unique.

Jintor

Erry takedown mission is just "Look ahead, shift into oncoming traffic, do your best to total the target"

Fun every time

Choc

Banned
if your not up to chapter six jintor don't look at this spoiler

the bit where Jericho gets the shift is a massive twist i didnt see coming, also makes the game so hard

Jintor

thanks for the warning, only up to chapter... four? three? Just got the ability to do a city-wide zoom-out.

i'm glad it's an arcade racer. I really don't like thinking about the moral implications of possessing people in high-speed traffic and crashing their cars

Shaneus

Jintor said:
Erry takedown mission is just "Look ahead, shift into oncoming traffic, do your best to total the target"

Fun every time
Is the whole game basically like Chase HQ or is it just that bit?

Oh man, what I wouldn't give for a new Chase HQ game based on the Outrun 2 engine. Online two player would be insane.

elfinke

Shaneus said:

Oh man, what I wouldn't give for a new Chase HQ game based on the Outrun 2 engine. Online two player would be insane.

If your avatar was Hamilton or Kobayashi, it would be perfect with this quote! Alas, Webber has kept his chin nose (relatively) clean :D

Choc

Banned
Shaneus said:

its a lot like chase hq

Shaneus

elfinke said:
If your avatar was Hamilton or Kobayashi, it would be perfect with this quote! Alas, Webber has kept his chin nose (relatively) clean :D
Bahaha. Pretty much why I enjoy watching him race. He can be ballsy but is still a really clean driver. Reminds me a lot of what I think of as "old school" drivers from around the mid-late 90s. Older, more skilled and aware of their limits than the younger, new generation.

But seriously, a new-gen Chase HQ that has physics/handling based on Outrun 2 would kick so much arse.

Edit: Thanks Choc. So long as it doesn't have the piss filter like in the demo, I might grab it when it bombas. $20 wouldn't be unreasonable.

roosters93 said:
Irish names like Saoirse fuck with my mind.
I know a girl called Niamh. Teachers n stuff were always pronouncing her name wrong.
We had several Tahnee named persons at our school who all wanted their name pronounced differently. The only one I was mates with was fine with a lazy teh-knee whichwas nice since the others were so pretentious I was surpised they didn't put umlauts on the e's.

Omi said:
Sorry choc, playing a real game, Deus Ex.
Omi said:
Just wait til you have kids. Just. You. Wait.
Cosigned on both accounts. Although I have dumped about 10 hours in since Saturday some how. Too bad about my assignment! Hahahahhahhahah! :(

Choc said:
its a lot like chase hq
/ping greenmangaming.com
/search for 'driver'
/add to cart
/input 20SUM-MERSA-VINGS
/frytakemymoney.jpg = 32.26

reptilescorpio said:
We had several Tahnee named persons at our school who all wanted their name pronounced differently. The only one I was mates with was fine with a lazy teh-knee whichwas nice since the others were so pretentious I was surpised they didn't put umlauts on the e's.

Wait, how else do you pronounce Tahnee other than 'tah-knee'?

I got my first front page lead at my new job today. Pretty happy with myself, although it's an incredibly tragic story.

Jintor

So are you dads gonna be bringing kids to AusGAF meetups? :p

/EDIT fallback did we already discuss journalism? I seem to recall this somewhere

FallbackPants said:
Wait, how else do you pronounce Tahnee other than 'tah-knee'?

I got my first front page lead at my new job today. Pretty happy with myself, although it's an incredibly tragic story.
Ta-Nay, Tee-Nay, Tee-Knee. And if you mispronounced even a tiny bit they would give you daggers. Ah high school, such a molehill problem place.

Jintor said:
So are you dads gonna be bringing kids to AusGAF meetups? :p

/EDIT fallback did we already discuss journalism? I seem to recall this somewhere

I think we did when I first joined. You work for a magazine or website right? Maybe even a gaming one? I think I have about the same level of memory about this as you

Shaneus

I bought one of those for 360 when they were around $80 or $100 or something. Fucking amazing for GH and RB. Shame you can only use the "solo" frets on GH, but the build quality really is nuts. Strum bar is still solid after many, many hours of use and it's weighty as fuck.

Shit, the $40 is probably to cover delivery... barely.

Top Bottom