• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Choc

Banned
RandomVince said:
Aahhaa, what the hell kind of muppets are they training in the australian swim team? Racists, criminal thugs and liars wasting police time it seems.

Time to turn the sport amateur again, drop the AIS funding and give the money to people who need it instead of these entitled pricks.

I would disagree with you but Stephanie Rice has turned into a fucking prat since she won gold

so agreed

codswallop said:
Depends which beers you've tried and didn't like, really. Try some local ones from Australian breweries, look for ones specifically that mention no preservatives, they generally don't have that dish cleaner taste.

I've tried:

Corona
VB
Carlton Draught
Boags Draught (this was better than the rest)
XXXX (or was it 5 X's?)

..and a couple more tap beers, can't remember their names.

codswallop said:
You could try Stone and Wood Pacific Ale, Chimay Blue, Hoegaarden, Kwak, Sierra Nevada Tornado Extra IPA, Mountain Goat Steam Ale, Brewdog Tokyo*, Bridge Road Bling IPA, White Rabbit Dark Ale, Prickly Moses Red Ale.

Edit: Also try Satan's Gold. Love that one, forgot about it. You should be able to find most of them at Purvis Cellars in Surrey Hills. Shouldn't be too far from you.

Never even heard of these ones. I think I saw some of them at the beer museum in Echuca.

DeathJr said:
I've tried:

Corona
VB
Carlton Draught
XXXX (or was it 5 X's?)

Never even heard of these ones. I think I saw some of them at the beer museum in Echuca.

I sense a stern talking to from AusBeerGaf in your future.

Rahk

Frawdder said:
I figured he meant Karl, was calling him out on it. But I've seen the same thing, people calling him Kyle, no idea what that's all about.
Pretty sure this is at least the second time choc has called him Kyle.

DeathJr said:
Corona
VB
Carlton Draught
XXXX (or was it 5 X's?)
Those don't deserve to be called "beer". Pick up a few of the ones I mentioned--Dan Murphy's will have a few--and I'm sure you'll find one you like, or can at least tolerate and would have again.

What do you drink with your spirits, or do you drink them neat? Actually, which brands of the spirits do you drink and which other spirits have you tried and not liked?

FallbackPants said:
Also the NBL must start soon. Every year I always mean to get into that. There is a big b ball fan at work though, so it might be a bit easier this year.
My old housemate was a huge San Antonio fan. As a result NBA is probably my favourite sport to watch after Cricket. So damn entertaining. They show a lot of games every week too which makes it a much more constant flow of viewing.

RandomVince said:
he hasnt done anything meaningful in a good 3 years
Last test series was really good for him. Too bad he is horrible at deciding when to call the troops back in, just like Ponting was. He has started his career as captain very well so far, better than most people expected.

commanderdeek said:
Add to that, I've also stupidly decided to start converting my "overseas" versions of J-pop cds into "Japan version" cds, and by convert I mean re-buy. And holy crap I forgot how expensive Japanese cds were, it's crazy. I only have 3 cds in my cart and it's already $170 with shipping....:(
I could write a 3000 word thesis on what pisses me off about music CD's and Japan. EVERY western act releases bonus tracks over there and the costs to get them over here are insane. The packaging is, without a doubt, a million times better though. Would love to covert my collection too.

RandomVince said:
Time to turn the sport amateur again, drop the AIS funding and give the money to people who need it instead of these entitled pricks.
d9f6d81b-546f-4411-994c-117c6368c4a6.jpg

A man after my own heart. What a fucking waste of money this shit is. How the hell did we work out what to spend tax payer money on?

Let me tell you guys a little story.
Down in sunny (read: shitty) Portland is a ward of the state. We had an order to check out his oven and heater as they were acting up. A plumber went around and on entry noticed that the placed was filled with faeces. Dog piss, cat piss and mice shit. Now, the dogs and cats must have come and gone long ago but the smell was still there. The mice, mind you, were nesting in the cavity's in the walls. You know in those old animated cartoons with the rat holes in the walls? The little upside down U hole eaten into the wall? Yeah that shit is real and the entire house was full of them. Rats the size of kittens. Piles of shit everywhere in this 2 bedroom unit. The guy even had 2 big fish tanks full of algae and rotten fish food, the poor fish were still alive some how. Couldn't swim more than a centre-metre off the floor of the tank though and looked to have severe breathing issues.
Anyway, the plumber opens up the door of the stove and out floods mice shit, hitting the bottom of his pants and all over his shoes. Cue run out the front door to vomit.
Long story short, the guys social worker of 2 years apparently has never stepped foot in the house during his weekly visit to discuss how to improve this guys life. He knocks on the door, takes the dude down the street in his comfy car to a nice cafe down the road for coffee. For 2 years. The infestation never is noticed.
After we reported it the fucker even had the balls to blame department of housing for not realising it sooner even though they just rent the houses out to the separate departments. The guy hadn't had any repairs to ring up about for 2 years so how the hell were they meant to know? Gives me the shits that someone who obviously needs help isn't being looked after, even though he has a case worker who would be pocketing at least 60k a year gong by his tailored suit and upper range Mercedes. So much for tax payer dollars being well spent.
/rant

Although Giaan Rooney is epic hot so at least we got that out of the fucking waste of money!

DeathJr said:
I've tried:
Corona
VB
Carlton Draught
XXXX (or was it 5 X's?)
You have tried the basic pub beers that are cheap and mediocre. Good enough to buy a slab and drink for the sake of it. I would actually rate Coopers Pale Ale as the best, cheap beer to drink. Usually between $35-40 at Dans.
Go to a microbrewery and try a bit of everything. Probably the quickest way to find something you enjoy.

DeathJr said:
You didn't get what I was implying. I don't drink only spirits, I drink only 3 very selected spirits, based on taste. Everything else I just can't stomach...

I thought for a second that was what you meant but it seemed an odd way of expressing it.
ie It is technically correct that you only drink spirits. And I'm sure there's people who say that and might only drink 3 or 4 like you too.

codswallop said:
What do you drink with your spirits, or do you drink them neat? Actually, which brands of the spirits do you drink and which other spirits have you tried and not liked?

Juice, coke, soda etc..

Vodka - Absolut and Smirnoff.
Rum - Bundaberg, Old monk, Bacardi.
Tequila - Sierra

I've tried a couple of Scotch's: Glen Fiddich, Black label, blue label, jim bean, jack daniels, dimple, etc

It's the taste of scotch...just don't like it.

Dead Man said:
So, after that disappointment I looked at the Forza thread, and I have decided I need a 360. Need to find the cash now, bloody part time work and study means no games for Dead Man.
JB have some decent deals. Otherwise keep an eye on OzBargain as one will pop up. I remember Myer or someone selling the 250Gb S for around $200 at one point.
4423301.jpg
4423355.jpg

DeathJr said:
scotch.jpg

Could not live in a world without it.

I only started drinking 2 years ago, before that I used to keep away from alcohol..no particular reason, just didn't see the fascination of drinking. I had vodka and rum in a kind of a punch at a party and liked it, and have been drinking that since. I also don't drink regularly, just on occasions or maybe when friends come over.

Also, for someone who is fairly new to drinking, I tend to remain sober after a number of drinks. I've actually never been 'drunk' drunk.

DeathJr said:
Juice, coke, soda etc..

Vodka - Absolut and Smirnoff.
Rum - Bundaberg, Old monk, Bacardi.
Tequila - Sierra

I've tried a couple of Scotch's: Glen Fiddich, Black label, blue label, jim bean, jack daniels, dimple, etc

Fair enough, you're drinking mostly cheap spirits and covering up the nastiness with a mixer. And if you're drinking scotch neat but haven't developed a taste for other alcohol neat it makes sense you wouldn't care for it. Give it a few years and you'll probably tend to lean to towards nicer booze without a mixer.

If you want nicer stuff:
Vodka - Grey Goose, Belvedere
Rum - Ron Zacapa XO, Matrusalem, Mount Gay XO
Tequila - Patron, Don Julio (note: get Anejo over reposado if you can, this is gold tequila and not silver which Sierra is -- though Patron and Don Julio make silvers as well which are still nice, gold/silver tequila has a different enough taste).

It's funny how I'm laughing my ass off while watching 'an idiot abroad' while my other housemates are complaining that it's boring and unfunny. I need new friends.

reptilescorpio said:
My old housemate was a huge San Antonio fan. As a result NBA is probably my favourite sport to watch after Cricket. So damn entertaining.
I like you.

reptilescorpio said:
scotch.jpg

Could not live in a world without it.
I like you even more.

Having said that, I drink so rarely these days that I'd almost say that I don't drink. It's not that I have anything against it (in moderation) but as time has gone by I have even less of an urge to drink it. Even if it's right in front of me.

Which is a shame because I have an awesome stockpile of Scotch. :( (firstworldproblems.com)

Kerrby

Banned
midonnay said:
bwahahaha @ the fairy hop

THAT FAIRY HOP JUST SCORED!!!!

SUCK ON IT EVERTON. SUAREZ FOR PLAYER OF THE YEAR WHOOOP!

Shouldn't have been a red card but look at how Suarez's foot gets caught and his leg twists. Penatly always.

Choc

Banned
Omi said:
2hdcr4m.jpg

Nice brown paper bag of money coming the refs way after giving Rodwell a red card for that.

Yellow, if that. Seriously the ref level in the EPL is shit this season.

Given I referee the game myself at a semi professional level I think I can see when a ref is having a completely shit game or not.

if you watch it, Suerez makes it look like rodwell stepped on him by the way he clutches his foot. So suarez is a dirty fucking cheat

FWIW it was a penalty but it was never a send off and probably not a yellow card given how the game had progressed to that point.

Martin Atkinson isnt even supposed to be refereeing in the premier league. He had to get special dispensation from FIFA because he is over 45. Shows how shit the ranks in the UK are if they can't follow FIFA's 45 year old retirement rule.

Choc said:
Given I referee the game myself at a semi professional level I think I can see when a ref is having a completely shit game or not.
The ref might not have been on the same angle as the camera and also didn't have the instant replay option, and hey, they're all human. Might've looked really bad from where the ref was standing.

Dead Man

Kerrby said:
THAT FAIRY HOP JUST SCORED!!!!

SUCK ON IT EVERTON. SUAREZ FOR PLAYER OF THE YEAR WHOOOP!

Shouldn't have been a red card but look at how Suarez's foot gets caught and his leg twists. Penatly always.
You mean how his foot stops before any contact is made? Fucking EPL.

reptilescorpio said:
JB have some decent deals. Otherwise keep an eye on OzBargain as one will pop up. I remember Myer or someone selling the 250Gb S for around $200 at one point.
4423301.jpg
4423355.jpg
Cheers for the tips. Just need to find a few pennies and I'll be there ;)

Kerrby

Banned
Choc said:
if you watch it, Suerez makes it look like rodwell stepped on him by the way he clutches his foot. So suarez is a dirty fucking cheat

If you actually watch it, Suarez's foot gets caught by the other players player and his ankle/knee twists.

So no, he's not a cheat and he has every right to grab his foot.

Dead Man said:
You mean how his foot stops before any contact is made? Fucking EPL.

Look at it again, his ankle twists.

I think you're all mad that Suarez will be player of the year. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Also Everton fans are scum for throwing bottles are Bellamy and hitting him.

EDIT: Now this is staging
busquetst.gif

Choc

Banned
codswallop said:
The ref might not have been on the same angle as the camera and also didn't have the instant replay option, and hey, they're all human. Might've looked really bad from where the ref was standing.

I am not the best referee in the world and i make mistakes, of course (I am nationally accredited and ranked in Australia and referee top level NSW games) but that is a horrendous decision and given where he was positioned (from the replay) he saw what happened. It was in reaction to Suarez reaction I think.

He has a chance to rescind the red card after viewing a replay after the match. It will be interesting to see if he does.

In general though the refereeing in the PL this year has been shocking when compared to spain and italy

Kerrby his knee and ankle twists because the fucking twat decided to jump like a fairy, he didnt have to leap in the air. If he reacted properly to the tackle he would have slightly tumbled over rodwell.

edit: If suarez did that in the 80s or 90s in england he would have had two footed challenges flying at him for the rest of the match for being a dirty cheat

Yagharek

reptilescorpio said:
Let me tell you guys a little story.
Down in sunny (read: shitty) Portland is a ward of the state. We had an order to check out his oven and heater as they were acting up. A plumber went around and on entry noticed that the placed was filled with faeces. Dog piss, cat piss and mice shit. Now, the dogs and cats must have come and gone long ago but the smell was still there. The mice, mind you, were nesting in the cavity's in the walls. You know in those old animated cartoons with the rat holes in the walls? The little upside down U hole eaten into the wall? Yeah that shit is real and the entire house was full of them. Rats the size of kittens. Piles of shit everywhere in this 2 bedroom unit. The guy even had 2 big fish tanks full of algae and rotten fish food, the poor fish were still alive some how. Couldn't swim more than a centre-metre off the floor of the tank though and looked to have severe breathing issues.
Anyway, the plumber opens up the door of the stove and out floods mice shit, hitting the bottom of his pants and all over his shoes. Cue run out the front door to vomit.
Long story short, the guys social worker of 2 years apparently has never stepped foot in the house during his weekly visit to discuss how to improve this guys life. He knocks on the door, takes the dude down the street in his comfy car to a nice cafe down the road for coffee. For 2 years. The infestation never is noticed.
After we reported it the fucker even had the balls to blame department of housing for not realising it sooner even though they just rent the houses out to the separate departments. The guy hadn't had any repairs to ring up about for 2 years so how the hell were they meant to know? Gives me the shits that someone who obviously needs help isn't being looked after, even though he has a case worker who would be pocketing at least 60k a year gong by his tailored suit and upper range Mercedes. So much for tax payer dollars being well spent.
/rant

Fucking horrible :(

My wife works in mental health, and by god are there too many horror stories. There are ones that are just accidents and victims of circumstance, but then there are the ones where people have not gotten the help they really need and by rights should have had.

The priorities of welfare and funding in this country are well and truly misplaced beyond all possible human comprehension.

edit: newcastle looking good tonight

Yeah, my stepmother just started working in a job where she helps elderly stay in their homes, and has similar stories to that one Reptile. Horrible what some people will let others do to themselves, let alone what people will do to themselves.

Ydahs

Booze talk? I'm too straight edge for that!

Also, never try to sleep a few hours before your normal sleep time. It'll only make your sleep pattern worse :(

Shaneus

RandomVince said:
There is no way this can end well.
You know, this would almost be funny if it wasn't that this is the second string of drunk posts by a regular in this thread in the past week. Holy was already beaten to the punch by a certain ex-Tasmanian.

Pot. Kettle. Something something :p

(Yes, I'm well aware of the irony that I'm posting this while slightly inebriated. Difference is that I'm actually coherent and spelling correctly when writing this)

Holy fuck, is it 6am already? Fucking daylight saving.

PS. More than happy to write a report of how Geelong appeared to behave on the night of a Grand Final win... but I doubt any of you actually give a shit.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Oh yea it's 7am now, I forgot about daylight savings.

My headphones reach from my pc to my bed, so I'm just chilling. I have no way to control it though, theres a foobar app but the good one costs money, fuck that.

Is it 8 am now? I have no fucking idea.

Anyway, quick question: my PS3 (launch 60gig) has started to make some seriously load noises for about a minute when I first turn it on. I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the disc drive.

Am I already dead? If the drive craps out is it costly to get fixed?

BanShunsaku said:
Is it 8 am now? I have no fucking idea.

Anyway, quick question: my PS3 (launch 60gig) has started to make some seriously load noises for about a minute when I first turn it on. I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the disc drive.

Am I already dead? If the drive craps out is it costly to get fixed?
Drive problems can be fixed cheaply. No idea about official prices but it would be less than 50 bucks if you can find a local to do it. Had minor problems with my 360 where I had to put a new track and cog in rather than do the whole thing. Maybe see if it is still in warranty and ask Sony how much it could cost before sending it off

It is nearly 9am but it is really only nearly 8am. Child is still last weeks time. :-(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hung over.

~fin

elfinke

Kerrby said:
Kuyt has done more than anyone at Everton ever has.

Er, that has nothing to do with what I said, though I did get a fairly predictable bite haha :p

Atkinson got it wrong, where he was standing (his positioning was all wrong and was caught out - he was behind the play rather than angled to it) is what let him down. For sure it was a yellow card (the tackle meets 2 out of 3 criteria referees loosely use to determine these things - reckless, careless and excessive force), but a red card for that challenge in the early exchanges of a game is always harsh, as this was, especially given how he tried to pull out of it and his studs weren't showing (either carelessly or recklessly).

Also, it wasn't a 'penalty'. They only happen inside the 18yd box. It was (or wasn't) a freekick and foul. /football pedant.

Yes, I'm a FIFA accredited referee also. The EPL referees are not as bad as people make them out to be. Where did you referee choc?

Otherwise most of the games overnight were fairly predictable and even bland at times. Wasn't worth sitting up to 3/4am (stupid daylight savings).

it appears I moved to Sydney overnight. Apple!

I have to get out of my house this afternoon before the league Grand Final. No Brisbane teams but since Auckland are in it, our usually sedate Kiwi neighbours across the street are going to be, well, boisterous during the game.

Top Bottom