• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Choc

Banned
IgniteGT-PC-gaming-vs-CONSOLE-gaming1.png

Omikron

DeathJr said:
Lmao, take those stats with a grain of salt. Most of the PC gamers consists of people playing Farmville or mafia wars. :p

I think those games would be included in that 10% bracket of downloadable games. ie. Bejewelled.

But I think somewhere, I have had this discussion before. Main forum I think.

Yagharek

What a ridiculous chart, completely unnecessary and on par with all this apple buying nintendo bullshit thats doing the rounds.

Although I do have to laugh at the 360 failure rate being 27% not including RROD. Fuck me, only a fool would buy their next system in the first year or two.

Maybe they should do a comparison between PC games and console exclusive (even better - system exclusive) titles over the past few years. I doubt anything on PC would come close to NSMB Wii for example.

Aon

Dead Man said:
And what is wrong with the NCAA/SC2 comparison?

One is a yearly, derivative annualised sequel. See how I used two words for annual there?

The other one took 6 years for a massive team to construct.

Gazunta

Lololol NCAA lololol, everyone knows that games that GAF members aren't interested in sell exactly zero copies, right.

I've only been on the publishing side of things for a month, but let me say this: the games that GAF talks about don't even represent 5% of the games industry. You'd be amazed to know what sells out there. I had an inkling back in the Krome days because some of our games weren't in the top ten yet still managed to sell several million - BUT GAF SAYS ANYTHING THAT ISN'T IN THE TOP 10 IS A LOLOLOL BOMBA?!?

Case in point - what do you think the most popular game in the UK has been this year?

Shaneus

Me? Probably one of the iterations of FIFA.

Edit: I was thinking boxed. I'm guessing Farmville or something? I bet it's not a Minter game, at least ;)

Cohsae

Gazunta said:
I've only been on the publishing side of things for a month, but let me say this: the games that GAF talks about don't even represent 5% of the games industry.
It's because we're so hardcore.
Also what's with "Now that PCs have better graphics?" By now do they mean always?

guidop

RandomVince said:
Maybe they should do a comparison between PC games and console exclusive (even better - system exclusive) titles over the past few years. I doubt anything on PC would come close to NSMB Wii for example.

How much did the WoW expansions do?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Gazunta said:
Yep, more weeks at #1 in the UK charts than anything else.

I also believe only Deus EX knocked it off for one week as well. PS. It's also a Wii game lol.

It's amazing what GAF and most games would consider 'crap' sells and sells a lot.

Dead Man

Aon said:
One is a yearly, derivative annualised sequel. See how I used two words for annual there?

The other one took 6 years for a massive team to construct.
RandomVince said:
NCAA 1998 players hadn't been waiting 13 years for the sequel.
Right, but what is your point? That Americans love college gridiron? That it sells way more than it should? Yes, I agree. Why is it a bad comparison, it is just the top selling for each format.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I think the problem with it is that it is a very cherry picked stat.

Its being used to further the point of "PC gaming on the rise"/ PC v Consoles, but I suspect the other 11 months of NPD data would look pretty different.

The article would have been more convincing without that point.

Dead Man

user_nat said:
I think the problem with it is that it is a very cherry picked stat.

Its being used to further the point of "PC gaming on the rise"/ PC v Consoles, but I suspect the other 11 months of NPD data would look pretty different.

The article would have been more convincing without that point.
The whole thing is cherry picked, except for the top 1/3. You are saying that one thing invalidates the rest?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Dead Man said:
The whole thing is cherry picked, except for the top 1/3. You are saying that one thing invalidates the rest?
No. I just think it would be a more convincing argument without bringing NPD into it.

Choc said:
wow interesting

i thought you guys were going to shit on me for posting such a huge image tbh :p
Did take about an hour to scroll past on my iPad.

SHIT ON CHOC FOR BIG IMAGE!!!

oh wait, it's 2011. I have broadband- as you were. ;)

I feel the SCII vs NCAA comparison comes across as a little desperate to prove a point. otherwise it was interesting

Dead Man

user_nat said:
No. I just think it would be a more convincing argument without bringing NPD into it.

Did take about an hour to scroll past on my iPad.
Fair enough.

Choc said:
wow interesting

i thought you guys were going to shit on me for posting such a huge image tbh :p
HEY CHOC? Y U POST SUCH HUGE IMAGE?! NOOB.

Yagharek

Dead Man said:
Right, but what is your point? That Americans love college gridiron? That it sells way more than it should? Yes, I agree. Why is it a bad comparison, it is just the top selling for each format.

You can't tell the difference between a long awaited sequel to a game from Blizzard, with several years of hype built on the calibre of WoW, and an annual sports series?

Add to the fact that it was a comparison of game sales in July (one of the slower months of the year) and it just seems like it was cherry picked data, nothing more.

Go by total boxed sales vs total boxed sales or something like that, normalised against the number of games per platform - anything meaningful and use that as a basis for comparing one platform to another.

No-one is denying PC is a valid and healthy platform.

But that chart and comparison is absurd.

Dead Man

RandomVince said:
You can't tell the difference between a long awaited sequel to a game from Blizzard, with several years of hype built on the calibre of WoW, and an annual sports series?

Add to the fact that it was a comparison of game sales in July (one of the slower months of the year) and it just seems like it was cherry picked data, nothing more.

Go by total boxed sales vs total boxed sales or something like that, normalised against the number of games per platform - anything meaningful and use that as a basis for comparing one platform to another.

No-one is denying PC is a valid and healthy platform.

But that chart and comparison is absurd.
Of course I can, but again, so what? It is an infographic, they are always skewed. At least this one had some interesting revenue data.

Yagharek

And I just finished ASoIAF: ASoS.

Holy shit, what an eventful book that one was.

Now for the long wait til I get time to read AFFC.

Dead Man said:
Of course I can, but again, so what? It is an infographic, they are always skewed. At least this one had some interesting revenue data.

It's a silly comparison. I don't know what else you want me to say? NCAA and Starcraft 2 arent exactly the types of games I would pick when comparing the relative health of PC and console software sales. Especially not in regards to each other.

It's a complete non-sequitur.

Yagharek

I doubt she will have an interest in the series, so that's a no.

edit: while I'm at it, I'm off to do some research on the NPD LTD sales of Pokemon Platinum versus S.T.A.L.K.E.R in months with the letter T in their name, as proof that handheld gaming is healthier than PC gaming.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Gazunta said:
a400ca9f353d711244a7aa0e4834daa0.jpg

Serrels Stare 2.0
is scary as fuck

What's up with this.

Gaz, I wonder if I need to be on this mailing list of theirs. Prob not.

RandomVince said:
Stockholm Syndrome

10% for PS3 is worrying too. I was under the impression that 5% was the target rate?

Ps3 fail rate was very low, about 2-3% in the earlier years. But in the past year many old phat models, esp the 20gb and 60gb ones have failed with power/ylod issues. Luckily my launch 60gb is still soldiering on...

Yagharek

DeathJr said:
No spoilers please, I'm only halfway through..

I'd never do that. :)

It's well worth reading in any case, but you already knew that.

DeathJr said:
Ps3 fail rate was very low, about 2-3% in the earlier years. But in the past year many old phat models, esp the 20gb and 60gb one failing with power/ylod issues. Luckily my launch 60gb is still soldering on...

I'd argue PS3s are as bad as 360s, only with a slightly longer fuse. My first one died from a firmware update (60g PAL unit), second one is still going but has odd hiccups from time to time when it won't boot.

Yagharek

Just on 360 defective rates....

It's sold 55 million now?

And at ~27% defective rate that makes it 14 million or so dud systems.
Then add the RROD abortions to the tally (something like 40-50% of the first 20 million by conservative estimates).

I wouldn't bat an eyelid if someone told me the true number was closer to 20 million LTD.

Top Bottom