• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Choc

Banned
Fredescu said:
I guess not, I don't know. I'm sure there are a bunch of shitty taxes everywhere, I'm just talking about income tax and GST.

Raising the GST rate would allow the governments to remove payroll tax.

elfinke

Finally got iView to work, and have caught up with QANDA. Žižek was amazing, as I expected. Here is a goddamn amazing interview with the bloke from a few years ago, with some pearlers of wisdom like

What makes you depressed?

Seeing stupid people happy.

and

What is the closest you've come to death?

When I had a mild heart attack. I started to hate my body: it refused to do its duty to serve me blindly.

Kritz said:
Origin could have its own faster, more efficient browser that wouldn't need plugins or other bullshit. Better for the user, better for EA hitler's Druid branding.

It absolutely should have it's own browser, and would remove many of the frustrations I have with the current implementation.

RandomVince said:
Ribery, Lampard, Gerrard, the French rugby side, Chris Judd.

Nice. I'll add the azzurri, blurgh.

Fredescu said:
I guess not, I don't know. I'm sure there are a bunch of shitty taxes everywhere, I'm just talking about income tax and GST.

Something I overheard Rob on about this morning was how the taxation system in Australia would benefit greatly from it being simplified. There is something like 115 'inefficient taxes' that could be done away with, and no revenue lost by increasing the GST by a mere 1% or 2%. I think Windsor may have even said that.

jambo

Choc said:
Told Collingwood he didn't want Mick Malthouse as a mentor in 2012

Oh ok that's pretty bad, but most of the interviews I've seen with Mick it seems pretty clear that he doesn't want to coach anymore. Now, that might be because of the way that Collingwood have dealt with him, but he also might just want a change of pace.

Kerrby

Banned
jambo said:
Oh ok that's pretty bad, but most of the interviews I've seen with Mick it seems pretty clear that he doesn't want to coach anymore. Now, that might be because of the way that Collingwood have dealt with him, but he also might just want a change of pace.

He sounded like he wanted to stay coaching at Collingwood until McGuire gave him the boot.

markot

Banned
I like how you seem to think companies and businesses will suddenly go on hiring splurges simply because a tax is removed. Not that they will just pocket the profit like companies do all the time >_<? the US cut tonnes of taxes in its recent packages to try and spur growth. What happened? More lay offs, more company profit bonanzas while they sit on ever increasing funds.

Also 'look at NZ!' has never been a good argument!

legend166

Kerrby said:
I can't believe Good News World is still on TV; I've never seen a show bomb so hard before in the ratings:

Good News World Ten 187,000 45,000 61,000 40,000 18,000 23,000.

To put it in perspective, it didn't even make the top 50 shows of the night and even lost to a repeat episode of Futurama that was on channel 11. It even lost to Judge Judy!!!

Stop cross-posting.

Choc

Banned
markot said:
I like how you seem to think companies and businesses will suddenly go on hiring splurges simply because a tax is removed. Not that they will just pocket the profit like companies do all the time >_<? the US cut tonnes of taxes in its recent packages to try and spur growth. What happened? More lay offs, more company profit bonanzas while they sit on ever increasing funds.

Also 'look at NZ!' has never been a good argument!

NZ's carbon tax is better than our current proposed model as well. And the people like it.........

if you're a company with 20 employees sitting on 1.4 million wage bill and know if you hit 1.5 you have to pay tax, are you going to hire that extra 1 or 2 people

nope.

That's the point. There is a tax which is stopping employers hiring people. It also stops companies giving people pay rises they deserve and in line with CPI

you know why QANTAS etc is in this shitfight at the moment? Payroll Tax. They pay the Baggage handlers more? they pay more payroll tax.

Alternately you could have payroll tax controlled at the federal level if they really think they need it to reign in wages (haha good fucking job, i mean look at mining it sure fucking worked there didn't it) instead of a situation where a company starting and hiring in one state pays less or more tax based on that fact...

It's bloody stupid.

What is also stupid is how fucking complex payroll tax is. If you go into Queensland and work there for more than 2 days on behalf of your employer, your employer is then liable for payroll tax in that state for those 2 days worked if the wage bill is higher than the QLD limit

its fucking shit like this. The most progressive thing this nation could do is abolish state governments. WOFTAM and just create problems. Australia is over governed.

the reason why the US slashes failed was it did not REMOVE the tax it only reduced the rate. So they still had to pay the tax....

jambo

Shaneus said:
Guitar Hero.

EB.

You're dead to me, jambo. Take your schnitty and get the hell out.

Find me a better party game to play with your mates, especially when you're drunk.

And EB had the best price I could find, plus I'll have it in my hands tomorrow.

Deeku

Anything tax is complicated! I went to an ato interview last year and the test they gave me on tax was the most confusing shit I've ever seen.

Also, I don't think tax has anything to do with whether a company is willing to hire more. It's more to do with economic outlook etc. I have nothing to back that up though:lol

Choc

Banned
commanderdeek said:
Anything tax is complicated! I went to an ato interview last year and the test they gave me on tax was the most confusing shit I've ever seen.

Also, I don't think tax has anything to do with whether a company is willing to hire more. It's more to do with economic outlook etc. I have nothing to back that up though:lol

If you get a chance and are in a large enough company, and are friendly enough with them, ask your CEO if they reduce hire rate based on payroll tax

the answer will be yes, if they are being truthful. Every CEO does it.

Kritz

Banned
jambo said:
Find me a better party game to play with your mates, especially when you're drunk.

And EB had the best price I could find, plus I'll have it in my hands tomorrow.

Besides the elephant in the room of "party games", you could probably go with something Harmonix instead of Neversoft(or whoever)'s shitty attempts at recreating Guitar Hero 2.

It's too bad my enthusiasm with plastic instrument peripheral games dried up at the same time everyone else's did, because some part of me still wants to play Rockband 2 and 3.

Choc

Banned
by the way it doesn't work like every dollar over 1.5 million is taxed

once you hit 1,500,001 you are taxed on the entire wage bill

Deeku

Choc said:
If you get a chance and are in a large enough company, and are friendly enough with them, ask your CEO if they reduce hire rate based on payroll tax

the answer will be yes, if they are being truthful. Every CEO does it.
It would probably be a small factor, but I doubt decisions are based solely on the tax.

You should ask the EA Ceo! ;)

Shaneus

jambo said:
I don't have any mates :(

Kritz said:
Besides the elephant in the room of "party games", you could probably go with something Harmonix instead of Neversoft(or whoever)'s shitty attempts at recreating Guitar Hero 2.

It's too bad my enthusiasm with plastic instrument peripheral games dried up at the same time everyone else's did, because some part of me still wants to play Rockband 2 and 3.
It's still good to do. When I feel like listening to something that gives my dexterity a workout without having to think about anything more than reflexes, I'll fire it up. Only on medium, though.

Shame I never got much use out of the keyboard, though. Fuck having to buy the Queen set again just to use it :/

Fredescu

Choc said:
by the way it doesn't work like every dollar over 1.5 million is taxed

once you hit 1,500,001 you are taxed on the entire wage bill
That's only 15 people at 100k, or 30 people at 50k. Surely larger companies would never get below those numbers?

Kritz

Banned
markot said:
I like that the last game coming out a year ago is 'killing off' a franchise these days >_<

Everyone knows The Beatles killed off the genre, because from there, it had nowhere to go but down.

Is the first positive thing I've said about any game today.

Shaneus said:
It's still good to do. When I feel like listening to something that gives my dexterity a workout without having to think about anything more than reflexes, I'll fire it up. Only on medium, though.

I've found my ability to play on Hard still remains quite solid. The jump to Expert was always too much for me, though. I think for some people it becomes a "riding a bike" thing where muscle memory just kicks in and does everything for you.

Also known as the "why I can no longer play Tony Hawk games after Skate" syndrome. ... another "EA is better than Activision" thing, too!

jambo

Kritz said:

I have Rock Band 1, 2 and 3 as well, it's just there are some great songs that are GH exclusive, like the Rush set in GH Warriors of Rock.

Had some mates over yesterday and all we played was Rock Band 2 and 3, the keyboard stuff is awesome when you have people on guitar and bass. So much fun!

Choc

Banned
commanderdeek said:
It would probably be a small factor, but I doubt decisions are based solely on the tax.

You should ask the EA Ceo! ;)

i've seen it in action deek

'if we hire another person then the salary will be X and then that will add Y to our wage bill which leads to Z extra in payroll tax so the total cost for hiring another person is X + Z'

Choc

Banned
Fredescu said:
That's only 15 people at 100k, or 30 people at 50k. Surely larger companies would never get below those numbers?

EXACTLY. So therefore not the biggest issue for them but tax reduction policies still occur. It's those on borderline payroll tax line that have the biggest problem. But also, hiring a person into a large company increases your tax bill, as does giving pay rises and promotions.

Payroll Tax is not indexed to CPI and the states can and do change it at will and in the middle of financial years... which is just dumb.

but the area which employs the most people in Australia is the SME market, which can very easily start to fall into this void especially given average salary is now 71k in Australia.

The biggest problem is that it punishes companies for hiring and rewarding people

thats the biggest fucking load of shit i have ever seen. You PUNISH someone for being successful.

Payroll tax bill on 1.5 million is $86,250

You tell a small business they need to find $86,250 for extra tax because they hired someone.

Yeah, exactly......

Kritz

Banned
jambo said:
I have Rock Band 1, 2 and 3 as well, it's just there are some great songs that are GH exclusive, like the Rush set in GH Warriors of Rock.

Had some mates over yesterday and all we played was Rock Band 2 and 3, the keyboard stuff is awesome when you have people on guitar and bass. So much fun!

Did guns and roses ever put songs into the Rockband franchise? Guitar Hero 2 had Sweet Child O' Mine and 3 had... uhhh... something.

The problem I found with those games in party environment is it turns into a "NO I WANT THE DRUMS" deathmatch at the end of each song, even though everyone is absolutely rubbish at the things.

Deeku

Choc said:
i've seen it in action deek

'if we hire another person then the salary will be X and then that will add Y to our wage bill which leads to Z extra in payroll tax so the total cost for hiring another person is X + Z'
What type of company is this though? I mean, if they can't handle extra tax from hiring, they should probably consider downsizing since it's clear that they are struggling to cover their costs in the first place.

jambo

Kritz said:
The problem I found with those games in party environment is it turns into a "NO I WANT THE DRUMS" deathmatch at the end of each song, even though everyone is absolutely rubbish at the things.

I haven't used the drums for ages, we normally just do 1v1 or guitar+bass+keys and just pass it around.

Shaneus

Kritz said:
I've found my ability to play on Hard still remains quite solid. The jump to Expert was always too much for me, though. I think for some people it becomes a "riding a bike" thing where muscle memory just kicks in and does everything for you.

Also known as the "why I can no longer play Tony Hawk games after Skate" syndrome. ... another "EA is better than Activision" thing, too!
Honestly, it's that fucking orange fret that always fucks with me. Now that they randomly drop it in medium songs for RB3 (almost always buy surprise) I'm rarely getting 100%. Anything more difficult than that scares the absolute shit out of me.

I do love having that Logitech Guitar Hero guitar, though. Built like a brick shithouse.

Choc

Banned
commanderdeek said:
What type of company is this though? I mean, if they can't handle extra tax from hiring, they should probably consider downsizing since it's clear that they are struggling to cover their costs in the first place.

Deek this is how the common capitalist world works. It then becomes ok they will cost this do we really need them? if the answer is yes proceed and take the hit, if not see how we go with current resourcing.

The point is, in business there is a lot of sentiment that it is a load of shit tax that they should not have to pay and so therefore do as much as they can to reduce it (for example setting up subsidiaries in other states as placeholder companies who have lower tax and having their employees hired in that state instead of where tehy actually are located. This is legal right now)

Public companies are subject to shareholder scrutiny. Our payroll tax bill went up $100,000 because we hired 4 people reducing our total profit by 100k. Not going to look good on the books

by our i dont mean myself, i mean thats what the CEO would think of a public company in that situation

midonnay

markot said:
I would prefer we got rid of the Federal government >.<

its pretty much a lost cause...

but I'm still praying for a miraculous kevin rudd comeback to save the NBN from being molested.

Choc

Banned
midonnay said:
its pretty much a lost cause...

but I'm still praying for a miraculous kevin rudd comeback to save the NBN from being molested.

it can't be. The agreement with telstra means they get 30 billion if the libs cancel the NBN.

It's over Tony.

midonnay

you watch...

they'll do something crazy like sell the unfinished project to Telstra.

Insiders on the weekend makes the case that Oz is facing a huge budget black hole due to costello's tax cuts.

Choc

Banned
if anyone thinks having someone as PM that wants Andrew Bolt to be able to sprout the shit that he did in those articles is a good thing, has rocks in their head

Fredescu

Some people make the argument that Bolt should have been sued for defamation, so the law that he was sued under is useless.

Kritz

Banned
Shaneus said:
Honestly, it's that fucking orange fret that always fucks with me. Now that they randomly drop it in medium songs for RB3 (almost always buy surprise) I'm rarely getting 100%. Anything more difficult than that scares the absolute shit out of me.

I do love having that Logitech Guitar Hero guitar, though. Built like a brick shithouse.

I feel both vindicated and remorseful that I didn't get one of those sweet Beatles guitars while they were out. My Rockband 1 and Guitar Hero 2 guitars are both on their last legs, while my Guitar Hero 3 wireless guitar is still kicking ass and taking batteries. I heard the Beatles ones were both great to play and...

sorry I can't continue this post, the realisation that I'm talking about the quality of fake plastic toy guitars is making me want to leave earth's gravitational field.

EDIT: holy shit I love nerf guns /unironic /ironicUseOfIrony /recursion

Choc

Banned
Fredescu said:
Some people make the argument that Bolt should have been sued for defamation, so the law that he was sued under is useless.

yes but Tony does not. Tony wants him to be able to sprout that shit

Fredescu

Choc said:
yes but Tony does not. Tony wants him to be able to sprout that shit
I know, one of Tony's shadow ministers said that he was charged for having an "unpopular opinion" when he was actually charged for knowingly making up bullshit.

legend166

I haven't played Rock Band since my drums got busted.

Rock Band/Guitar Hero is one of the only games I can say I'm really really good at. I'm not super 5 star the hardest songs on expert, but I can play 95% of songs on expert using drums and guitar. I can even 5 star songs on guitar whilst singing at the same time :D

I need to start playing Rock Band 3 again.

Top Bottom