• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Deeku

Jintor said:
I just sat through two one-hour lectures on job interviews from 40-50 year old media management people who kind of had a handle on what was going on and kind of also didn't

one was spectacularly sexist but kept quoting statistics about it so I wasn't really sure how to approach that
I've never bothered going to any of those. All you need to know for interviews is behavioural questions and STAR - for internships and grad jobs anyway.

Choc said:
so i phone5

my prediction, Apple to shock the world and IP5 to support LTE (Telstra 4G)

which is why telstra has gone bananas marketing 4g recently (not the USB stick)

and telstra to have it exclusive with the other three getting the 3G model of the IP5.

Backing you completely here Choc, this is what i am thinking also. In terms of shock tho, i am thinking 2-3 new gimicky features and the rest will just be stuff we have seen elsewhere but now with an apple brand on it.

When are u calling the release/purchasable date of the IP5? I am thinking late October or around same time as holiday sales.

jambo

Marshmellow said:
Backing you completely here Choc, this is what i am thinking also. In terms of shock tho, i am thinking 2-3 new gimicky features and the rest will just be stuff we have seen elsewhere but now with an apple brand on it.

2-3 new gimicky features? Did you see the iOS5 presentation?!

Choc

Banned
Marshmellow said:

When are u calling the release/purchasable date of the IP5? I am thinking late October or around same time as holiday sales.

4S 14th Oct, iphone 5 28th

Omikron

jambo said:
This post is factually incorrect.

legend166 said:
Also Omi is the most wrong a person has ever been.

How dare I have an opinion that differs from you! I might go shack up with Andrew Bolt and produce some love children to free speech.

Fredescu said:
Even if you don't like them, you have to admit there must be something good going on if they're one of the few bands from the 60s still widely listened to today. The early boy band stuff has aged poorly, but Rubber Soul and onwards is still good.

Yer, the early stuff taints quite heavily and even the later stuff I can take or leave it tbh. Such is my opinion goes.

Yagharek

jambo said:
2-3 new gimicky features? Did you see the iOS5 presentation?!

Aren't all Apple presentations about gimmicks these days. Also, wtf at my phone auto capitalising the word apple. Doesn't anyone know fruit exists these days? Corporate cunts.

jambo

Omi said:
How dare I have an opinion that differs from you! I might go shack up with Andrew Bolt and produce some love children to free speech.

You can say you don't like their music, but to say that their song-writing is overrated and not brilliant is incorrect.

legend166

Fredescu said:
Even if you don't like them, you have to admit there must be something good going on if they're one of the few bands from the 60s still widely listened to today. The early boy band stuff has aged poorly, but Rubber Soul and onwards is still good.

nononononononononononooooo

I can't tell you how much I dislike this opinion. The first half of The Beatles career doesn't reach the heights of post Rubber Soul, but it's still fantastic early rock and roll and is full of amazing songs. Dismissing it as 'boy band' is a huge disservice to the music and what they were doing at the time and it makes me a sad panda.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
RandomVince said:
Aren't all Apple presentations about gimmicks these days. Also, wtf at my phone auto capitalising the word apple. Doesn't anyone know fruit exists these days? Corporate cunts.
Really? iPad doesn't capitalise apple.

Choc

Banned
Rates on hold sigh RBA sigh

its going to be an RBA led recession if Greece goes tits up

two major banks slash their rates and the regulator says nup, you got it wrong boys

fuckin when was the last time that happened

markot

Banned
They should have dropped em, Australia is gonna feel the heat soon from this Euro stuff >_< Waiting till the disaster to hit fully is silly.

Jintor

commanderdeek said:
I've never bothered going to any of those. All you need to know for interviews is behavioural questions and STAR - for internships and grad jobs anyway.

Compulsary attendance lecture. *sigh*

No tutes for that course...

Choc

Banned
markot said:
They should have dropped em, Australia is gonna feel the heat soon from this Euro stuff >_< Waiting till the disaster to hit fully is silly.

Glen Stevens does it best. The only reason he didn't cause a recession in 2008 was rudds stimulus

He gets paid 900k a year, is the highest paid central banker in teh world and sits on his hands while the world crumbles

Choc said:
wait what? I thought once yo uwere fully licensed in one state it carried over

at least it does in NSW, what the fuck Victoria?

also buy them? Your state is FUCKING SHIT if thats the case, how fucked is your public purse if you can't even give something you legally MUST DISPLAY for free

i got given 7 sets when i got my P's
VicRoads are money hungry. They charge for everything, even for changing the date of your test.

Yagharek

Proposal for a GFC drinking game:

Every time an economist says the words unexpected or surprised, down a shot of your chosen beverage.

By the time the GFC is really over, you won't remember a thing about it.

Though I suspect the economists themselves drink like this before writing their outlooks.

Kritz

Banned
RandomVince said:

Didn't you hear? The fruit got sued and had to give up trademark. I don't see why Apple would care though, it was like comparing reds and oranges.

Fredescu

Kerrby said:
Your point :lol?
I was answering your question?

legend166 said:
nononononononononononooooo

I can't tell you how much I dislike this opinion. The first half of The Beatles career doesn't reach the heights of post Rubber Soul, but it's still fantastic early rock and roll and is full of amazing songs. Dismissing it as 'boy band' is a huge disservice to the music and what they were doing at the time and it makes me a sad panda.
I'm not going to disagree about their place in music history, but I was making a point about their listenability today. If they had stopped at Help! they'd just be another Beach Boys. If you like early Rock n Roll, that's fine, but not a particularly common taste.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Seeing Serrels write kick ass stuff like his Ocarina piece inspires me to write and make myself a better writer.

I know I can write some good stuff too (not as good as Mark though), if only it was my full time job :(

Having the time to craft out a nice piece of writing and that being your sole 'job' would be great. At least that's how I feel.

elfinke

RandomVince said:
Proposal for a GFC drinking game:

Every time an economist says the words unexpected or surprised, down a shot of your chosen beverage.

By the time the GFC is really over, you won't remember a thing about it.

Though I suspect the economists themselves drink like this before writing their outlooks.

I'm going to suggest this to Alan Kohler on twitter. He'll go for it, and tomorrow and tonight's ABC finance reports will be something to behold.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My neurotic housemate has been in completely uncontrolled overdrive and paranoia about moving, and only tells me now that a removalist is booked for 8am this Friday, despite not knowing whether the gas and electricity would be hooked up, making zero effort to relocate the net (which she has to do as it is in her name), and not informing our housemate of this current residence that a whole heap of shit she probably uses is going to up and go by the end of the week.

She is both one of the easiest people I've ever lived with, and one of the most unbelievably horrible people I've had to deal with moving. She needs to do some coke and chill or something because fuck I shouldn't have to keep up with her neurotic bullshit.

Fredescu

Choc said:
Rates on hold sigh RBA sigh

its going to be an RBA led recession if Greece goes tits up

two major banks slash their rates and the regulator says nup, you got it wrong boys

fuckin when was the last time that happened
An RBA led recession? Like the actions of our little central bank can prevent that. Keeping rates where they are gives them more room to move when the shit does hit the fan. We certainly came out of 2008 a lot better than nations that had near 0% interest rates. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquidity_trap

Choc said:
so i phone5

my prediction, Apple to shock the world and IP5 to support LTE (Telstra 4G)

which is why telstra has gone bananas marketing 4g recently (not the USB stick)

and telstra to have it exclusive with the other three getting the 3G model of the IP5.

Never (well not now) going to happen. Maybe next year.
Verizon is the only American carrier it would make any sense for. AT&T only has LTE in 5 cities and Sprint doesn't even have a LTE network at all yet.

Choc

Banned
Fredescu said:
An RBA led recession? Like the actions of our little central bank can prevent that. Keeping rates where they are gives them more room to move when the shit does hit the fan. We certainly came out of 2008 a lot better than nations that had near 0% interest rates. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquidity_trap

the recession we had to have(TM, paul keating) was caused by the RBA, thats what i widely hear anyway

Choc

Banned
roosters93 said:
Never (well not now) going to happen. Maybe next year.
Verizon is the only American carrier it would make any sense for. AT&T only has LTE in 5 cities and Sprint doesn't even have a LTE network at all yet.

since when does that matter, Telstras 4g covers probably 0.01% of australia, and they have launched it with a bang

4G does not mean it REQUIRES 4G, 4G can work on 3G

Rezbit

Wow that Vic Roads stuff is some straight bullshit. How can they drop you from full license to P's? Furthermore, why didn't you kick up a stink Holy?

Also, should I just up and move to England?

legend166

Fredescu said:
I was answering your question?

I'm not going to disagree about their place in music history, but I was making a point about their listenability today. If they had stopped at Help! they'd just be another Beach Boys. If you like early Rock n Roll, that's fine, but not a particularly common taste.

Just another Beach Boys? 99% of bands wish they could be 'just another Beach Boys'. The Beach Boys were amazing. Pet Sounds is one of the best albums ever. That reminded me of when vks was in a thread discussing music on the OT, and he just threw out a "Beach Boys suck" comment thinking it was the common stance towards them, and everyone just jumped on him like crazy, haha.

Anyway, this article explains my feelings: http://leadingusabsurd.com/?p=1626

I don't agree with his last statement, but overall I think he's right.

The problem is people act as if they were just a Backstreet Boys of the 60s for the first half of their career.

Please Please Me, With the Beatles, Help and A Hard Day's Night are all A+ albums, especially the last two.

As far as listenability goes, if you have any liking for pop music at all, they are all still listenable. Much easier to listen to than Chuck Berry's work, for example.

Anyway, rates staying up is great news for me. Means I can keep my 6.51% on my savings.

Deeku

Jintor said:
Compulsary attendance lecture. *sigh*

No tutes for that course...
Ah ok, I thought it was one of those career advice things.

No tuts for courses is rad, but then you forget you're actually doing the course and come exam time you're kinda screwed.

MrSerrels

Jintor said:
Did you cats catch Serrels' Ocarina of Time reflection article? It's very good. Not that you'd expect less from the man, of course.

This might have been more evocative because I'm on a real travel writing kick at the moment.

Thanks man! Means a lot!

And Vooks - the fact that you shit on most people who do this full time is testament to how good a job you do.

I fear your news digging skills!

Fredescu

legend166 said:
Just another Beach Boys? 99% of bands wish they could be 'just another Beach Boys'. The Beach Boys were amazing.
People like Omi don't come into threads and call the Beach Boys overrated. I think you're missing the point.

Jintor

VOOK said:
Seeing Serrels write kick ass stuff like his Ocarina piece inspires me to write and make myself a better writer.

I know I can write some good stuff too (not as good as Mark though), if only it was my full time job :(

Having the time to craft out a nice piece of writing and that being your sole 'job' would be great. At least that's how I feel.

At some point you just have to start sacrificing time from other areas of your life, man

Gazunta

VOOK said:

Cosigned.

Someone buy the movie rights to Presidog!

markot

Banned
So, just to sum up my seven plus hours with the game so far:

No story to speak of
No characters that make an impression
Linear
Broken save system
Dull mechanics
Tedious quests
Weak shooting
Stock weapons
Racing is fun
Minigames are enjoyable
Very pretty

We'll be testing on PC and playing multiplayer in the coming days, but I felt it was important to share what the game is versus what people expect it to be. This is a massive disappointment.
Verdict: Skip

Saw it coming like an elephant in an elephant picture!

Marshmellow said:
Much like Carmack?
OHNOUDIDN!

Haha, so true, id is just... nothing now. Passed the hill, over the grave, one foot in the door.

markot said:
So, just to sum up my seven plus hours with the game so far:

No story to speak of
No characters that make an impression
Linear
Broken save system
Dull mechanics
Tedious quests
Weak shooting
Stock weapons
Racing is fun
Minigames are enjoyable
Very pretty

We'll be testing on PC and playing multiplayer in the coming days, but I felt it was important to share what the game is versus what people expect it to be. This is a massive disappointment.
Verdict: Skip

Saw it coming like an elephant in an elephant picture!

OHNOUDIDN!

Haha, so true, id is just... nothing now. Passed the hill, over the grave, one foot in the door.

And any interest i had has just been lost to the wind. oh well

Kerrby

Banned
I never got the hype for Rage, to me it just looks... bad. Like Fallout 3 bad, man what a boring game that was.

I blame Bethesda.

Top Bottom