• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Gazunta

Choc said:
>_<

i want rage
So do I :( I still don't have a copy yet! :(

Anyway, Terry Moore's How To Draw Women is amaaaaaaaazing and depressing as all fuck. I want to set fire to my computer just to delete all my horrible drawings after reading that.

So I finally finished watching Bern's appearance on Insight. I loved how they kept cutting to Bern whenever someone said something asinine. The facial expressions were priceless, like he was in physical pain from hearing the stupid.

I really need to stop myself from buying new games.... Bought Deus Ex HR and A Game of Thrones:Genesis within the last couple of weeks, ended up playing Civ V all weekend.

Will buy Skyrim day one, and probably new Batman, but apart from that I need to stop myself from making spur of the moment Steam purchases.

Civ V is still a great game, by the way. Like a warm doona of gaming goodness.

markot said:
Not only do I have no interest in RAGE, I have next to no interest in Skyrim too ^_^!

Also Syndicate!

I like you! lol

I have a backlog of over 50% finished games atm, so i am going to avoid buying anything new until i put some time into them.

elfinke

codswallop said:
*Or realise and finally admit to yourself that you're never going to finish it.

This is me and parts of my PS2 collection.
and slowly but surely, it is becoming inevitable with parts of my others games collections too

Choc

Banned
i've promised myself not to get sucked into this shit again this year and end up buying bullshit amount of games

doing ok so far. Only have gears 3 as MS gave it to me, same with Forza 4 (would not have purchased yet otherwise)

Batman can wait

Ass Creed, we shall see upon release where i am at in games, but probably can wait.

RAGE i really want and the game seems huge so will pick up (also to keep Gaz in a job :p )

Uncharted 3 i am getting free anyway but I would have picked this up over AC

Saints Row dunno

My plan is to leave some games and buy them during the quiet periods where shit all is coming out.

Shaneus

Kritz said:
As for RAGE, let me know how initkeys goes for people. The game kind of looks like yet another brown wasteland shooter, but also I think I'll still enjoy having the ability to complain about it for 20 hours of however long it takes to get bored of it.
That reminds me... I need to put some time into Bulletstorm and actually finished it. Never gave it the time it deserved.

Gazunta

Thanks Choc :p

Actually, in all seriousness, are there any reviews of the PS2 version of FIFA 12 anywhere? Not a "We review the PS3 version and then mention at the end that there's a PS2 and PSP version too, LOL", but an actual hands on in depth review of the game on the PS2 format.

Who developed it?

I'm always fascinated with how huge games are squeezed into small machines, it's part of what interests me about the C64 so much, and it's a shame that what could possibly be the last ever commercially released PS2 game will not even garner a mention anywhere. I'm really curious how the dev team managed it, what they had to leave out, how they emulated the bigger versions, etc.

Kerrby

Banned
I can't believe Good News World is still on TV; I've never seen a show bomb so hard before in the ratings:

Good News World Ten 187,000 45,000 61,000 40,000 18,000 23,000.

To put it in perspective, it didn't even make the top 50 shows of the night and even lost to a repeat episode of Futurama that was on channel 11. It even lost to Judge Judy!!!

I don't see what all the fuss is about with Battlelog. Yeah, the server browser isn't the world's best, but joining a server has been fine. The game loads in the background and then off you go. I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt given that it's a beta, but there aren't significant options missing besides some matchmaking with buddies...

Choc

Banned
Gazunta said:
Thanks Choc :p

Actually, in all seriousness, are there any reviews of the PS2 version of FIFA 12 anywhere? Not a "We review the PS3 version and then mention at the end that there's a PS2 and PSP version too, LOL", but an actual hands on in depth review of the game on the PS2 format.

Who developed it?

I'm always fascinated with how huge games are squeezed into small machines, it's part of what interests me about the C64 so much, and it's a shame that what could possibly be the last ever commercially released PS2 game will not even garner a mention anywhere. I'm really curious how the dev team managed it, what they had to leave out, how they emulated the bigger versions, etc.

if you think that FIFA 12 PS2 has the impact engine, you are crazy ;)
It was developed by the same studio, different team.

It's pretty much just an updated FIFA 11 which was 10 which was 9 etc teh ps2 version hasn't changed much in years, just like madden

Choc

Banned
In no surprise whatsoever, Ray Warren confirms it was channel 9 forcing the commentators to talk about hte pokies. Given he is a recovering addict makes it much worse. If RW said to 9 fuck off i aint saying that, would they sack him? of course not.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2011/10/he-said-she-said-as-nines-pokies-comments-turn-ugly.html

it was a fucking disgrace that was part of the broadcast, a national disgrace. This match went to 40 countries, and we had that going on.

edit: salazar FUCK :p

Kritz

Banned
ClivePwned said:
When can we expect Rage reviews? Who has the cheapest in-store price (console versions)?
"Rage is the combined effort of four years of iterative design taking elements from the best of the genre but adds significantly less to it when you combine the sum of its parts. The enthralling wasteland and charmingly bland environments will be enticing to the hardcore enthusiasts but borderlands and fallout and bulletstorm and stalker."

5/5 STARS

jambo

So, I was running around in the park next to my house yesterday, messing around with my mates and I stacked it and rolled my ankle. It cracked incredibly loudly, so loudly that 2 of my mates heard it from 20 metres away :lol

Then I stacked it again this morning, had ice on it for the last 45 minutes

-_-

Choc

Banned
taking the GST off the tax forum makes the tax forum irrelevant and dumb. Raising the GST rate in Australia is a very good idea and they should take the lead of NZ

I deal with the NZ tax system and they have a GST rate of 15%, up from 12.5% since last november

but their highest marginal rate is now 35.04% including the earthquake and disaster levy (which unlike Aus is an ongoing thing, not just 1 year and has been in place ages).

They reduced their marginal rates and increased gst, making GST exactly what it is supposed to be, a consumption tax. A tax for spending and not saving.

The UK is the same.

We should so fucking well do that in Australia it makes so much bloody sense but because GST raising is a hot political issue it won't happen. I am fed up with politicians having no fucking balls and just looking to the next election. Tony A would shit all over a GST rate rise because he has no fucking clue how a proper GST system is supposed to work.

Right now australia does not have a GST. We have a bastardised GST tax with the wrong name. You are not punished for consumption in Australia as per a proper GST. Instead you get arse reamed at the payroll level AND at the consumption level. This is NOT how VAT/ GST is supposed to work.

yes the PAYG rates have come down since GST but that was not based on the fact the GST exists, that was politicking again and it has not come down anywhere near as much as what NZ did when they introduced VAT.

The Governments revenues has significantly increased since GST because many loopholes that businsses used to avoid WSST has been removed and you can no longer get a tax exemption as a business @ the point of sale like you could before.

So they make significantly more money and have not reduced PAYG rates any level they should have based on the increased revenue.

Just raise it to 12.5% and make the top marginal rate 40%. Done.

edit: oh and Tony refused to go. Why Tony? afraid the ALP might actually do something good out of this for once. If its a refusal based on the fact GST is not on the table, i agree with it.

legend166

Raising the GST at this point seems like a silly idea. Aren't economists worried that people are too nervous to spend, and are putting all their money away into savings? Putting up the GST would just make that worse.

Also, are there bigger dickheads in sport than the Stewart brothers? I mean honestly. Get over it, chumps.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
Raising the GST at this point seems like a silly idea. Aren't economists worried that people are too nervous to spend, and are putting all their money away into savings? Putting up the GST would just make that worse.

Also, are there bigger dickheads in sport than the Stewart brothers? I mean honestly. Get over it, chumps.

New Zealand was in a recession and raised the GST rate. It took them out of recession.

Because they reduced PAYE tax they had more to spend in their bank accounts. People forget about the GST @ the POS and just buy things

Thats the point. There is more in your bank account to spend......

It's how a consumption tax is supposed to work.

You do need a significant slash. NZ went from 40.04% to 35.04% at the highest PAYE rate during the transition.

markot

Banned
Ahhhh, Gallop should have kicked him off the podium! POW!

And, Of course it was an Ad, they had a freaking link to the website on the freaking tv when they were talking about it. Freaking! I dont think Ray knows how to work that into the machine >_<

Great of him to come out and say it, and he is a freaking recovering addict? How shameful >.> Mind you, 9 is so in bed with gambling that its ridiculous, started all with the Packer twat...

Also raising the GST is a terrible idea.

Choc

Banned
markot said:
Ahhhh, Gallop should have kicked him off the podium! POW!

And, Of course it was an Ad, they had a freaking link to the website on the freaking tv when they were talking about it. Freaking! I dont think Ray knows how to work that into the machine >_<

Great of him to come out and say it, and he is a freaking recovering addict? How shameful >.> Mind you, 9 is so in bed with gambling that its ridiculous, started all with the Packer twat...

Also raising the GST is a terrible idea.

Honestly those who think raising the GST and lowering PAYG tax is a bad thing does not understand it (ie the general populice) and thus unfortunately Australia won't do it because politically its bad because you will get the stupids aka the liberals saying YOU WILL PAY MORE

forgetting that you will have MORE in your pay packet. Ok riddle me this. Aus raises GST to 15%, lowers PAYG and destroys Payroll Tax (compensating the states with a bit of the extra GST).

HOW IS THAT A BAD THING? PAYROLL TAX IS THE WORST THING IN THE WORLD. Companies are PUNISHED for hiring people.

For those who don't know (which is most people i think) once you reach a certain wage threshold in each state you pay tax to the state, for paying your employees. in nsw its 1.5 million dollars. So once you pay your entire workforce more than that, you pay 5.75% tax of the total wage bill.

you are PUNISHED for hiring people and expanding. And people wonder why companies won't hire? Ding ding ding.

I don't want to criticise you guys but do some research into the NZ changes that happened last year and the significant positive impact it had on the NZ economy and consumption in general.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
codswallop said:
I don't see what all the fuss is about with Battlelog. Yeah, the server browser isn't the world's best, but joining a server has been fine. The game loads in the background and then off you go. I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt given that it's a beta, but there aren't significant options missing besides some matchmaking with buddies...

I don't have a major issue with it either but it doesn't seem to provide anything really useful outside of what could be done in game. There's the social networking bullshit but who really cares about that.

I don't find that the game loads faster either. If you were to remove the standard "who made this game" bullshit at the start and just bring up the game menu, hit log in, server browser, select server and go, It would probably load in the same amount of time as the current method.

I might try and time how long it takes me to load into a server in BC2 and also time BF3. I wouldn't be surprised if BC2 was quicker and i do mean the entire steps. Logging into origin, loading battlelog etc.

Yagharek

legend166 said:

Serious question? Tiger woods, Stephen Milne, Michael Clarke, Alan didak, I'm sure I could list dozens more when not busy at work.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
People will argue that a consumption tax is regressive.

we already have a consumption tax. We just don't see it that way because we are stupid in Australia.

Our consumption tax is not effective right now and not acting as one should.

Shawsie64

Banned
Just bought Rage from Play-asia.. Got the PC version, there was Asia Region and US region.. Will the Asian one work on my PC? I'm confused =/

legend166

How the hell did ComputerWorld get my phone number? And why are they ringing me up asking if I want to receive some email?

What are these shenanigans?

Fredescu

Choc said:
Honestly those who think raising the GST and lowering PAYG tax is a bad thing does not understand it
Raising the GST raises tax on the poor, and lowering PAYG tax doesn't give anything back to them. It's regressive and needlessly complex because you have to adjust benefits and all sorts of crap.

Choc

Banned
Fredescu said:
Raising the GST raises tax on the poor, and lowering PAYG tax doesn't give anything back to them. It's regressive and needlessly complex because you have to adjust benefits and all sorts of crap.

seriously, go look at what NZ did.

On the surface its a shit idea i know, but business nationwide is saying the GST is a failure because it failed to reduce PAYG rates.

Why is it every person bar the ALP at the tax forum want GST on the table? Even Oakshott says it should be there

Fred, by removing Payroll tax you instantly boost the want for employers to hire more people and guess what remove stupid artificial wage limits which might in turn lead to low income people earning more because their employer is no longer trying to significantly reduce payroll tax by keeping their wages low........

Surely you can't think Payroll tax is a good thing fred

Kritz

Banned
evlcookie said:
I don't have a major issue with it either but it doesn't seem to provide anything really useful outside of what could be done in game. There's the social networking bullshit but who really cares about that.

I don't find that the game loads faster either. If you were to remove the standard "who made this game" bullshit at the start and just bring up the game menu, hit log in, server browser, select server and go, It would probably load in the same amount of time as the current method.

I might try and time how long it takes me to load into a server in BC2 and also time BF3. I wouldn't be surprised if BC2 was quicker and i do mean the entire steps. Logging into origin, loading battlelog etc.
Bc2 took me 3 minutes from .exe launch to being in the game. About 1 minute was initial loading / unskippable intro cutscenes, 45 seconds using the browser to find an almost full Au server, and the rest loading into the game (+shader optimization which is usually a one time only load when you change settings)

By comparison, it took 1.20 from launching origin to being in a bf3 game. About 20 seconds to get to the browser, and the rest of the time loading the actual game.

I've said it before in the chat; make the browser be an integrated part of origin. My firefox browser is slow and I shouldn't need three to four processes hogging RAM to play a game (origin, firefox, bf3, the VoIP / bf battlelog thing).

Origin could have its own faster, more efficient browser that wouldn't need plugins or other bullshit. Better for the user, better for EA hitler's Druid branding.

Edit: Ea's stupid branding**

Top Bottom