• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

senahorse

Jintor said:
I definitely don't disagree with the notion that you, yourself, are the ultimate arbiter of whether or not you really enjoy something, but other people's opinions are still something I take note of when looking for more stuff to look at. I would never have discovered Dwarf Fortress or Minecraft for instance on my own.

Well that's what ausgaf steam chat is for ;) While I am not going to let it stop me from buying a game, nor, ensure that I do, I respect the opinion of people that (except Kritz
joke...or is it
) chat there. Which I guess comes back to my original point, that I should expand on. When it comes to me choosing to buy or not buy a game, I am not going to let the opinion of other people sway my own, especially if I don't know them.

edit: I should also say, that I don't mean offence to yourself nor other people here (e.g. serrells, vook etc) that review games. 1) I haven't read your articles and 2)I am just an old jaded man yelling at clouds etc.

markot

Banned
VOOK said:
Vook's list of games I don't give a fuck about this year include;

- Rage
- Modern Warfare 3
- Skyrim
- Gears of War 3
- Halo (again)
- Assassin's Creed Revelations

Come at me bro.
Those are on my list too!

Maybe Skyrim.... but probably not cause fool me once and all.

jambo

VOOK said:

- Rage
- Modern Warfare 3
- Skyrim
- Gears of War 3
- Halo (again)

Come at me bro.

Of course not, none of those are Nintendo games.

elfinke

I played a bit of the Heroes VI demo over the weekend, really enjoyed it. Certainly I enjoyed it more than 4 and 5. The UI is a mess at times, and the icons for hero abilities and skills are too dramatic, but spending awhile right clicking on everything I had it worked out. Aside from Gears 3, Vook's list is on point.

Don't know if I have time for 2 enormous timesinks though (FM2012 and Heroes VI)!?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
jambo said:
Of course not, none of those are Nintendo games.

Battlefield 3, Uncharted 3, Batman aren't Nintendo games and they're on my list to buy.

VOOK said:

- Rage
- Modern Warfare 3
- Skyrim
- Gears of War 3
- Halo (again)

Come at me bro.
Vook also does not play any games, so his lists are irrelevant.

hamchan

Games I think I will dislike/not live up to hype but will eventually play anyways:

-Skyward Sword
-Rage

...and that's it.

Yagharek

VOOK said:

- Rage
- Modern Warfare 3
- Skyrim
- Gears of War 3
- Halo (again)

Come at me bro.

You forgot mass shit 3 and battlefield 3.

Gazunta

You guys realise AusGAF has been talking about video games for like 3 pages straight now, right?

Jintor, tell you what, if I ever have the good fortune to make it back to E3 and you're there I will introduce you to Brad
and then ditch you while we jet off to a cool kids club party

Yagharek

Its blockbuster backlash. The industry thrives on hype, a lot of people are fed up with bland sequels from focus group hell.

Or at least I am.

I hate how insular and generic the games industry has become. Cheering on mediocrity, the press being satisfied with or ignoring complacency and incompetence, and publishers trying to abuse customers as much as possible.

I'm this close to going retro only. At least they can't patch in online passes to cartridges.

Megadrive said:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3483564/LastCigar_2011-10-03.zip (117mb)

This is a pre-beta build of my team's end-of-year game. It's.. dodgy but hey.

Controls:
- Arrow keys: Movement
- Z: Jump
- X: Shoot
- A/D: Cycles through weapons
- C: Taunt, but currently sets your position to origin (0,0,0)

Current bugs I know about:
- When you die and are moving, you keep moving until you reset or hit a wall.
- When you die and there's an enemy on top of the spawn, you die again over and over.
- When you PRESS Fire on the pistol and machine gun, it doesn't immediately fire. Shotgun is fine however.
- Everything at the moment currently has infinite ammo.
- There are more that I don't remember, please post!

Reposting.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
DeathJr said:
Farmville is not a game.

Either is any of that open ended, mindless shit that's polluting Facebook and the App Store.

Don't worry the hive mind will get bored and move onto the next existential piece of shit.

Gazunta

Vook I know what you mean, man.

I'm now starting the fourth year of Funny Webcomic - at the end of next week I'll be posting the 800th comic on the site - and the time I have for it is diminshing every year. It's a combination of increasing work commitments and the extra time I want to put into the comic nowadays to make something I could hopefully be proud of.

But every night as I stumble into bed at whatever time of the morning because I had to spend an extra hour redrawing a face or perfecting a fart joke i just wish I had more time to do other stuff too...and it's a real pain to realise your limits and commitments.

I'd love it if I had huge traffic and an audience large enough that would mean I could spend more time on doing my own creative work, but there's no easy shortcut to that besides keep doing it every day and building the road you want to walk on one brick at a time.

For what it's worth, I think you do real quality stuff, so don't beat yourself up about not being able to make more than you can.

What's wrong with the occasional blockbuster
all forced down your throat at the same time each year
? I like games that take risks too but we can't just play games created by a single guy wearing an ironic t-shirt.

Am I the only one that isn't too keen on Batman AA? I've played it for a few hours now and it's just not doing anything for me, might be because I'm not really the biggest Batman fan in the first place?

The other option may be that I'm in one of those gaming slumps, nothing is really tickling my fancy (except for Dead Island co-op, that was the most fun I've had all year), I have too much to pick from as well. :(

Sutton Dagger said:
Am I the only one that isn't too keen on Batman AA? I've played it for a few hours now and it's just not doing anything for me, might be because I'm not really the biggest Batman fan in the first place?

The other option may be that I'm in one of those gaming slumps, nothing is really tickling my fancy (except for Dead Island co-op, that was the most fun I've had all year), I have too much to pick from as well. :(
I was the same. It's a shame because I really wanted to like it.

Rahk

x3n05 said:
Well that's what ausgaf steam chat is for ;) While I am not going to let it stop me from buying a game, nor, ensure that I do, I respect the opinion of people that (except Kritz
joke...or is it
) chat there. Which I guess comes back to my original point, that I should expand on. When it comes to me choosing to buy or not buy a game, I am not going to let the opinion of other people sway my own, especially if I don't know them.

edit: I should also say, that I don't mean offence to yourself nor other people here (e.g. serrells, vook etc) that review games. 1) I haven't read your articles and 2)I am just an old jaded man yelling at clouds etc.
Pretty much.

I haven't read a game review in years and I very rarely read GAF threads. I can make the call if I will like a game based on a short gameplay video and other nonsense like developer history. This has worked well for me so far. It helps if there's a bit of buzz about the game, but I don't go out of my way to read opinions.

For the smaller games that I might miss, Steam chat and this thread are quite reliable to clue me in. Steam store front page is also useful.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Give batman aa another shot, it could be the slump as well. The game did nothing for me when I first attempted to play it, I just couldn't be fucked for some reason. I cane back maybe 6 months later and enjoyed the fuck out of it.

I'm not hyped for the next one but I think I will pick that up on day 1 just because I enjoyed the first so much.

elfinke

evlcookie said:
Give batman aa another shot, it could be the slump as well. The game did nothing for me when I first attempted to play it, I just couldn't be fucked for some reason. I cane back maybe 6 months later and enjoyed the fuck out of it.

I'm not hyped for the next one but I think I will pick that up on day 1 just because I enjoyed the first so much.
Wow I thought I was the only one. I was still manager of a game selling place and got Batman for free, tried to get into it (more out of duty than desire - a fate many games succumbed to) and never succeeded. Came back months later when I was (
between jobs
) on a backlog destroying run and thoroughly enjoyed it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
viciouskillersquirrel said:
I don't get it.

DeathJr has terrible taste in games (and maybe everything).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DeathJr said:
So if I don't play mario and zelda I have a bad taste in games?

And Bayonetta.

The bad taste trifecta.

EatChildren

Salazar said:
What are your feelings on kpop ?

Or better yet, is Hyoyeon in the top 3?

THE ANSWER IS YES

Salazar

DeathJr said:
You mean j-pop?

0ecKP.gif

Very disappoint.

Top Bottom