• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
jambo said:
There's still a Pizza Hut restaurant in Adelaide, I'm totally going to have my 24th birthday there.

did you and everyone you knew have your birthdays between the age of 5 and 14 at the pizzahut on main north road too?

lololol

Yagharek

Bernbaum said:
Land Before Time dinosaur puppets from Pizza Hut back when Pizza Hut still had restaurants.

Oh boy - all you can eat at Pizza hut was heavenly. Nothing beats having a gut-stuffing binge on pizza and bolognese and then taking the soft drink jug for a trip to the dessert bar, filling it with ice cream, choc fudge sauce and caesar salad croutons, mixing it up and leaving a nice diarrea-like mess on the table for the restaurant staff to clean up.

Nostalgia overload.

Shaneus

Old lollies? It was all about Milko's and classic Redskins. Especially when they'd (obviously?) gotten warm then cold again so the very centre was rock hard but the outer was a little bit softer and mushier... hooooly fuck.

Shaneus said:
Old lollies? It was all about Milko's and classic Redskins. Especially when they'd (obviously?) gotten warm then cold again so the very centre was rock hard but the outer was a little bit softer and mushier... hooooly fuck.
Toffee Apple bars were also amazing. I don't know how my teeth survived childhood.

Dead Man

Shaneus said:
BanShunsaku said:
Toffee Apple bars were also amazing. I don't know how my teeth survived childhood.
Oh god, Redskins and Toffee Apple bars were my after swim treats of choice. So good.

Shaneus

^^ Pfft. Only good for the jokes they had on them.

BanShunsaku said:
There are some places (namely, those import lolly shops) that sell the flat, wide Choo Choo bars... they have raspberry ones! Very similar to the Toffee Apples, save for the green in the middle.

Bernbaum said:
Land Before Time dinosaur puppets from Pizza Hut back when Pizza Hut still had restaurants.

Oh boy - all you can eat at Pizza hut was heavenly. Nothing beats having a gut-stuffing binge on pizza and bolognese and then taking the soft drink jug for a trip to the dessert bar, filling it with ice cream, choc fudge sauce and caesar salad croutons, mixing it up and leaving a nice diarrea-like mess on the table for the restaurant staff to clean up.

The one in Bendigo is owned by a distant relative of my mom's friend.

Driving 200 kms for free pizza.....nah.

Yagharek

DeathJr said:
The one in Bendigo is owned by a distant relative of my mom's friend.

Driving 200 kms for free pizza.....nah.

Just start driving and text through your order. Should save at least 20 minutes waiting.

jambo

HolyCheck said:
did you and everyone you knew have your birthdays between the age of 5 and 14 at the pizzahut on main north road too?

lololol

Anzac Highway, the one with the tree in the front room =D

There is a Pizza hut (not restaurant) 5 mins from my house. Not that I frequent it, their pizza is pretty lame. 8 times out of 10 it will have a burnt crust and an uncooked base.

RandomVince said:
Should save at least 20 minutes waiting.

Which pizza takes 20 minutes?

Bernbaum said:

Man I miss all you can eat Pizza Hutt restaurants, loved those as a kid.

Does any remember the brief time KFCs did the all you can eat buffet thing?

Shaneus

The Geelong one was awesome. I remember that they were largely in competition (for my own stomach) with the Sizzler, but Pizza Hut had hot fudge. Didn't matter that they didn't have the variety of foods because Pizza Hut had Pizza Hut pizza and hot fudge.

Only thing they couldn't top was the cheese bread/toast.

Bernbaum

We would do the "make revolting messes from food" thing at Sizzler too but it was only recently that I learnt from my brother what he and his mates would get up to after a satisfying All-You-Can-Eat at Sizzler.

They would try to leave the table as tidy and unassuming as possible but leave bits of food hidden around the table. A big dollop of alfredo sauce under the plate that oozed out once the plate was removed; salad items organized into parts of the flower vase and mooshing leftovers into whatever nooks and crannies were to be found.

Oh to be young again!

Cohsae

Kerrby said:
Anyone watch The Hamster Wheel? Very classic Chaser. Probably won't rate well unfortunatly.
Yeah I thought it was decent, but really the whole time I watched it I just wished I was watching a new series of Charlie Brooker's Newswipe. Similar issues raised in both, but Newswipe was less about being funny (not that there's anything wrong with that) and more about really probing into how the news machine works. God I want more Newswipe.

Deeku

I just remember needing to line up for Sizzler because it was the shit at the time. The one near us closed down pretty quickly though.

Shaneus

Bernbaum said:
We would do the "make revolting messes from food" thing at Sizzler too but it was only recently that I learnt from my brother what he and his mates would get up to after a satisfying All-You-Can-Eat at Sizzler.

They would try to leave the table as tidy and unassuming as possible but leave bits of food hidden around the table. A big dollop of alfredo sauce under the plate that oozed out once the plate was removed; salad items organized into parts of the flower vase and mooshing leftovers into whatever nooks and crannies were to be found.

Oh to be young again!
Bahahaha, that's amazing. I don't think my brother was that much of a bastard to do that at the time. Had I thought of it though, I would've done the same thing!

Yagharek

DeathJr said:
Any recommendations on take away food? Sick of having pizza/burgers/chinese/curries/souvlakis etc generic foodstuff. Need something different...

Find a good African restaurant. Some great ones in Perth, surely Melbourne would have some too. A nice change from the usual suspects, and you might come across some good game meat (not exactly fresh though).

I know there were some Kenyan restaurant(s?) in Hobart too, which is also different to a South African style - which is a bit more BBQ-y.

midonnay said:
pretty sure Land before time was the first movie I ever saw in the cinema...
The earliest film I can remember seeing in the movies is Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

We were meant to go see The Fox and the Hound but couldn't get in so went to see Who Framed Roger Rabbit instead, it was a good decision.

Still haven't gotten around to see The Fox and the Hound yet

They have an Ethiopian restaurant in Brisbane, run by all refugee women. Its very cute. Not sure if they do takeaway though.

I just had Beef Stroganoff, which takes surprisingly very little effort to cook. You could try doing som easy cooking instead if you're bored of takeaway.

Bernbaum said:

ah the memories. :') Though they still have sizzler for all your disgusting dessert fantasies.

Hmmm.....african cuisine. Seen some joints nearby but they looked very dodgy. I tasted some at the uni cultural diversity fest, I had no idea what I ate and couldn't describe the taste.

Dead Man

DeathJr said:
Hmmm.....african cuisine. Seen some joints nearby but they looked very dodgy. I tasted some at the uni cultural diversity fest, I had no idea what I ate and couldn't describe the taste.
North African is amazing, Moroccan, Tunisian, such great food. I had some Ethiopian food a while and it was pretty damn good too.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
anyone got a blackberry?

what's the goss, tell me what I should do with it

loving it so far btw!

LETS BE BBM FRIENDS KK?

I love when AusGAF gets nostalgic!

My first movie memory is seeing Crocodile Dundee at the drive in with my family, all crammed into the back of my parents station wagon.
I slept through most of it

markot

Banned
HolyCheck said:
anyone got a blackberry?

what's the goss, tell me what I should do with it

loving it so far btw!

LETS BE BBM FRIENDS KK?
Yeah I got one. Just wait I gotta log off gamespy then I can ICQ about it ^_^!

Shaneus

Somehow, one of the earliest movie memories I have was seeing Clockwise and Police Academy 4 at a drive-in with my parents and possibly brother. The ones with the really old, crappy blue-grey speakers you had to hang on your window. Although going by date, an earlier one still was the movie that this came from. Even remember which cinema it was.

I can barely remember what I did last week but I can sure as shit remember those things from my childhood. Go figure.

BanShunsaku said:
I love when AusGAF gets nostalgic!

My first movie memory is seeing Crocodile Dundee at the drive in with my family, all crammed into the back of my parents station wagon.
I slept through most of it
Same. It's eerie how similar most of our childhoods were. Guess that's what happens with middle-class children from the 80s... they grow up to post on video game-centric forums.

Dead Man

My first movie memory is Empire Strikes Back and some teenage fuckheads putting gum in my hair. I wanted to sit away from mum and dad. :/

Bernbaum said:
Thank you reptilescorpio for making me aware that there is a new Mastodon album out. I had no idea.
Also check out Kvelertak. Might enjoy them more than The Hunter.

Bernbaum said:
Oh boy - all you can eat at Pizza hut was heavenly.
Crickey they really must have been mismanaged to not make it a profitable enterprise because EVERYONE I knew always wanted to go for Works. Would have had my sons first birthday there if they still did them damn it. Also Sizzler. That shit was the bomb for a childs mind. Food as far as the eye could see! Too many fucking options!

Salazar said:
This civil servant dude should have got in there when the topless shots were taken. 25 years too late is late indeed.
At least the money hasn't ;)

HolyCheck said:
did you and everyone you knew have your birthdays between the age of 5 and 14 at the pizzahut on main north road too? lololol
lol! 5 and 6 for me until we moved out of Adelaide. There was one in Valley View or Golden Grove right? That was where we lived. Ah, simple times.

midonnay said:
pretty sure Land before time was the first movie I ever saw in the cinema...
Mine was the Blinky Bill movie. Bawled my eyes out when they destroyed the village. :(

Also Transformers 1986 is still the best movie ever. Fuck you Michael Bay, a bunch of merchandise pushers killing off last years models did a better job than you.

guidop

My Parents wouldn't allow fast food when I was a young kid. Any of Melb gaf remember when Maccas would advertise Ronald McDonald appearances on Saturday mornings? dat shit was so alluring, how I wanted meet Ronny McD and see what this Macdonalds was.

Shaneus

God damn I love reminiscing. I just wish I could remember more about my childhood movie-going habits. All I'll remember from these days is a blur of downloading rip after rip :(

We truly did live like little kings.

PS. Fuck yeah I'm getting emotional, what are you going to do about it?

Come on guys! It ain't that bad! We live in a day and age where I can walk down the street to Safeway and grab a Caramel Mud Cake for $2! Plus the average live span is moving in our favour! Good times in the nursing home ahead, I want the first sponge bath!

Bernbaum

reptilescorpio said:
Also check out Kvelertak. Might enjoy them more than The Hunter.
Listening to The Hunter right now. Sounds like they surrendered a part of their intricate complexity for the sake of straightforward accessibility. Should still be good for the gym though.

guidop said:
My Parents wouldn't allow fast food when I was a young kid.

lol! me too :( And then eventually I went there with a friend and ordered a cheeseburger - and decided my parents were right. That cheese was (is) horrible. I remember we went out to the pizza hut restaurant for a special treat once. That was somewhere in Sydney, though I have no idea if its still open.

Pretty much all our movies were just recorded from tv.

Mum didnt even let us rent videos cos she reckoned they dirtied up our video player :'(

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Come on guys! It ain't that bad! We live in a day and age where I can walk down the street to Safeway and grab a Caramel Mud Cake for $2! Plus the average live span is moving in our favour! Good times in the nursing home ahead, I want the first sponge bath!
Oh, it's good... but I want kids to have actual toys and playthings and Richard Scarry books like when I was a kid. I'm spoiling my nephews by buying them tactile things they can play with and break and hurt each other with, but most of the time I see them watching movies on a portable DVD player, though :(
I do still have a box set of Dr. Seuss books that I'm waiting to give my eldest nephew when he's just the right age to understand them. He's almost 3.5 years old now, think it must be just about due as a Christmas present.

Bernbaum

More nostalgia! The dude who wrote Animalia and The 11th hour visited our school and I got some books signed by Morris Gleitzman.

Cohsae

Bernbaum said:
More nostalgia! The dude who wrote Animalia and The 11th hour visited our school and I got some books signed by Morris Gleitzman.
Loved this book so much when I was a kid.
One mouse couldn't eat it all!

Top Bottom