• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Deeku

Sutton Dagger said:
Thanks AusGAF, now I feel like an apple crumble pizza :)
Oh god yes!!

I think the first movie I saw at an actual cinema was Jurassic Park.

Also, Duncan Ball came to our school and signed my Selby's Secrets books!!!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I remember going to the drive in to see Priscilla queen of the desert, and 2 other movies

i cant remember the other 2 movies

but yeah thats my earliest movie memory when I was about 6 :)

RandomVince said:
My Dad made me watch Alien and Aliens when I was about 7. It was terrifying and awesome.
This is the kind of father I need to be. Raiders of the Lost Ark at age 4. Blade Runner at age 5. Aliens at age 6. T2 at age 7?

Shaneus said:
Oh, it's good... but I want kids to have actual toys and playthings and Richard Scarry books like when I was a kid. I'm spoiling my nephews by buying them tactile things they can play with and break and hurt each other with, but most of the time I see them watching movies on a portable DVD player, though :(
I do still have a box set of Dr. Seuss books that I'm waiting to give my eldest nephew when he's just the right age to understand them. He's almost 3.5 years old now, think it must be just about due as a Christmas present.

I used to love the Richard Scarry books when I was a kid.

Lemme see if I can blow your minds with nostalgia

Early movie memories were Star Wars at the Paris cinema in Brisbane and Close Encounters (neither was a special edition). Also remember seeing Battlestar Galactica (the 1978 pilot) in the cinema in sensoround (basically the seats were wired up so they rumbled- it was 1.1 sound). Used to get taken to the drive-ins a lot as well.

Brisbane used to have The Paris Cinema on Albert Street where Timezone is now, Her Majesty's where the Wintergarden is now. There were only a few suburban cinemas and none in shopping centres. I have vague memories of Queen St before the mall

I remember when Pizza Hut only had the thin crust and takeaway was packaged on a square of cardboard with a paper pyramid. No deliveries then. No Thai food or Indian food, no Subways or Foot Courts. No drive-thrus. There were nowhere near as many MacDonald's back then and KFC was only Kentucky Fried Chicken (the acronym came much later). If you wanted takeaway it was either pizza, Chinese, fish & chips or chicken. More people ate meat pies for lunch than they did hamburgers. You wanted lunch when you went to the shops, you went to a cafeteria, carvery or coffee lounge. No coffee clubs or tables on the footpath.

My teachers in Grade 2 'disciplined' us with wooden meter-long ruler. They smoked at their desks during lunch. When my dad used to smoke, he used to give me $10 to go up to Coles to buy him a carton of Marlboro cigarettes. I would have been about six the first time I did this. It wasn't uncommon for kids to buy cigarettes.

The best things about being a kid in the 70's and 80's- Star Wars toys, Micronaughts, Shogun Warriors, Slime, Airfix and Matchbox army men, Hotwheels and Matchbox cars, getting Super 8 camera and projector (with a mute 10 8mm minute edit of star wars that ended after the TIE vs Falcon battle), getting the Atari 400, getting a Sanyo Betacord (a Betamax VCR).

But to be honest, I like now, better. There was lots of bad shit back then too.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
This is the kind of father I need to be. Raiders of the Lost Ark at age 4. Blade Runner at age 5. Aliens at age 6. T2 at age 7?
My mate's son, 6, has already seen all the Terminator movies. By his age, I'd barely seen Flight of the Navigator FFS.

Bernbaum

ClivePwned said:
Brisbane used to have The Paris Cinema on Albert Street where Timezone is now, Her Majesty's where the Wintergarden is now. There were only a few suburban cinemas and none in shopping centres. I have vague memories of Queen St before the mall
Holy fuck - Her Majesty's!

Totally forgot that place. Dad took me to see Starship Troopers there.

Yagharek

reptilescorpio said:

I think if you throw in a bit of classic Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan (Game of Death + Police Story as an introduction), Neverending Stoooorrrrryyyyy ahahaaaahhhaahaahh ahhh ah-ah-ahhhh and Stand By Me, then you're in good stead. Bonus marks for The Goonies, Footrot Flats animated movie and Steven King's IT.

Salazar

Dead Man said:
Nah, she was never hot:

AlbaDuchessofAlbaTiara.jpg

You concentrate on the face in topless paparazzi pics ?

Gazunta

I think the first movie I saw was Condorman, in...heck, it could well have been Majesty's, but it was probably the one where Dymocks is now.

I remember being very interested in the fact that this guy drew comics for a living.

And on the way out of the movie, I walked past the first video game I saw - Jungle Hunt.

I blame that day for everything that's happened to me since.

Anyway, drawing a comic about Banjo Kazooie that I hope to finish before midnight.

Dead Man

Salazar said:
You concentrate on the face in topless paparazzi pics ?
I'm more of an arse guy, and faces matter a lot to me. Sorry *shrugs*

Gazunta said:
I think the first movie I saw was Condorman, in...heck, it could well have been Majesty's, but it was probably the one where Dymocks is now.

I remember being very interested in the fact that this guy drew comics for a living.

And on the way out of the movie, I walked past the first video game I saw - Jungle Hunt.

I blame that day for everything that's happened to me since.

Anyway, drawing a comic about Banjo Kazooie that I hope to finish before midnight.
Holy shit, that was a glorious film!

Gazunta said:
Is it about how Microsoft has turned it into Banjo Kanobody? Eh? Eh! You can use that one.

At least we have Retro to make up for the demise of Rare.

Yagharek

Dead Man said:
I'm more of an arse guy, and faces matter a lot to me. Sorry *shrugs*

Face or arse, what's the difference.

It may be another 15 years til that joke can be used again. Goddamit 3DRealms

edit: not much now, actually

guidop

One recommendation for movies to show your kids is one of my favorite movies to this day.

Pee Wee Herman's Big Adventure. Pee Wee can be a grating for adults but man oh man is it an awesome movie so much creativity and imagination throughout with heaps of classic scenes. You have to be in the mood though

yeah we watched that at school a couple of times and I have fond memories of it.
I'd like to watch it again sometime. Finding out it's a Tim Burton film has put me off till now.

Going through code I didn't write is infuriating. Especially when all I want to do is make him fly backwards, away from the normal. Except I can't actually find that code.

Darklord

Banned
I just got a PM on Giantbomb from PC Format UK saying if I don't delete a post I made 6 months ago, him and the publisher of the magazine are saying to take further action. Hahaha. Oh shit, I've done it now! That's hard time if I'm found guilty after they find out who I am, where I live and get the Australian government to extradite me. Oh wait, no it's not. I wonder if I should make a thread about it in gaming, just to annoy them even more.

Edit: PC format, not pc gamer

RandomVince said:
This hamster wheel is the chasers best effort yet. Might not top the apec stunt for spectacle but it is incredibly biting.
I'm glad they are back on, TV needs them now more then ever. With them and Gruen Planet on the same night, Wednesday is back to being ABC night. I really enjoy the format of this show, I think The Chasers are at their best when they are having a go at the way the media handles the news like what they used to do with their looks at A Current Affair and Today Tonight.

Darklord said:
I just got a PM on Giantbomb from PC Gamer UK saying if I don't delete a post I made 6 months ago, him and the publisher of the magazine are saying to take further action. Hahaha. Oh shit, I've done it now! That's hard time if I'm found guilty after they find out who I am, where I live and get the Australian government to extradite me. Oh wait, no it's not. I wonder if I should make a thread about it in gaming, just to annoy them even more.
What did you post about out of interest?

Darklord

Banned
Worthintendo said:
What did you post about out of interest?

They released a review of the witcher 2 before the game had gone gold and before the "world exclusive review" had even been released. The only version then was unfinished. Someone on the witcher 2 official forums pointed that out and believed it was even the version that was just the first third of the game and there was a huge thread about. I thought it was interesting enough to relay the info over to the giantbomb forums. The actual review reads more like a preview too. He never recounts anything personally in his game. It's like he watched it played and wrote about that.

The same guy who is did that review also gave DA2 a 94 saying it's gorgeous and the best RPG combat and story choices ever made and just happened to ignore any faults like having 3 environments copied and pasted over the entire game. So trust worthy I can't say he is.

Darklord said:
They released a review of the witcher 2 before the game had gone gold and before the "world exclusive review" had even been released. The only version then was unfinished. Someone on the witcher 2 official forums pointed that out and believed it was even the version that was just the first third of the game and there was a huge thread about. I thought it was interesting enough to relay the info over to the giantbomb forums. The actual review reads more like a preview too. He never recounts anything personally in his game. It's like he watched it played and wrote about that.

The same guy who is did that review also gave DA2 a 94 saying it's gorgeous and the best RPG combat and story choices ever made and just happened to ignore any faults like having 3 environments copied and pasted over the entire game. So trust worthy I can't say he is.
Its reading stuff like this that really makes me glad I don't give 2 shits about reviews anymore, if I'm interested in a game based on screenshots and trailers and what people have said in forums I'll get it. I only really read reviews when its something I already have to see what other people have said on it and how their opinion compares to mine. Also for obscure little games like DSiWare which are hard to find lots of info on.

maladroid

Ydahs said:
Can't sleep. Need to get up at 7:30 for Uni...

WHY CANT I SLEEP?
I feel your pain. It's my fault for dropping like a log and taking a nap once I got home yesterday, but I'm going to blame it on daylight savings. :mad:

None of my classes today are going to register. :(

Bernbaum said:
More nostalgia! The dude who wrote Animalia and The 11th hour visited our school and I got some books signed by Morris Gleitzman.
Huh, I had forgotten about that but he visited our school, too. Those books were pure awesome back then. The art, oh the art.

ClivePwned said:
nostalgia overload
I share many similar memories, too. Especially of cinemas. I remember seeing Gremlins at the Paris cinema and Superman.. III, I think, at the old Regent Street cinema that used to be in the mall next to Wintergarden. I think that cinema only recently (relatively speaking) closed. It used to be beautiful, that place.

Jintor said:
Arkham City has too much content

My braaaaaain
Shut up. I cracked.

I preordered.

I wait.

(It had better be good - I've promised myself that this is my last purchase for the year.)

Rocksteady33

God ever since I left Australia I've missed Max Music television so much. Does anyone know if there's some way to get that channel in America? Love those countdowns.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Looks like this chrome at work has already updated to player 11. I should check to make sure my copy at home has done the same.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Yea watch that last night, Colour me a little excited to see how strange and massive it looks.

Along with seeing how android 3.0 is coming along onto phones.

elfinke

I received my email from GameUK that it had shipped and an email from bookdepository saying my guide (and other books) had shipped, so hopefully it arrives early next week once I return from Bathurst this weekend, which would be ideal.

Speaking of which, this rain can go away please.

I just read the 1UP "review" of Dark Souls. After reading it I have no idea about the game, other than it's hard. So pretty much the same amount of knowledge I had before going in. Kept looking for the next page link, and there's not one.

Gazunta

codswallop said:
I just read the 1UP "review" of Dark Souls. After reading it I have no idea about the game, other than it's hard. So pretty much the same amount of knowledge I had before going in. Kept looking for the next page link, and there's not one.
Ugh, these things are the bane of my existence. I look on the Gaming side of GAF and I honestly have no idea WTF half the games they're talking about actually ARE.

"So, what's No More Heroes like?" "OH MAN, it's so CRAZY and MESSED UP, it's by Suda51, you know who he is? He makes CRAZY GAMES"

JUST TELL ME WHAT YOU DO IN IT WILL I LIKE IT OR NOT HKJLHDKLJHDKJHD

I am playing GoatUp, a 2D platformer on iOS. You play as a Goat, who goes Up platforms and kisses other goats and has baby goats that follow you around as you jump from platform to platform. Your baby goats destroy enemies that will try to knock you down if you touch them directly. The aim of the game is to collect goats, climb to the top of the tower and collect random items that pop out of the grass that you eat on each platform. Think of it as a cross between Rainbow Islands, Nebulous and Doodle Jump.

WAS THAT SO HARD? APPARENTLY SO.

Gazunta said:
Ugh, these things are the bane of my existence. I look on the Gaming side of GAF and I honestly have no idea WTF half the games they're talking about actually ARE.

"So, what's No More Heroes like?" "OH MAN, it's so CRAZY and MESSED UP, it's by Suda51, you know who he is? He makes CRAZY GAMES"
It gets worse, I read two other reviews and all three of the reviews I've read refer to Demon's Souls pretty much every paragraph. But I never played that game, so comparing to it is absolutely useless for me.

Is there a story in Dark Souls? After reading three reviews I still don't know.

Gazunta

From now on I'll just assume that if the reviewer can't describe the gameplay that there just isn't any and I'll move my attention to the next game.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I think i'm going to try and write a review of rage but in my own - it doesn't make sense - style. Hopefully I can at least make it fucking readable, doubtful though :D

I forgot that blog i made for me liking videogames, I can't be arsed making a new one. Ah so lazy.

Agyar

Gazunta said:
From now on I'll just assume that if the reviewer can't describe the gameplay that there just isn't any and I'll move my attention to the next game.

Giant Bomb quick looks are the best reviews.

Top Bottom