• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Yagharek

Bladerunner is one of the greatest films of all time. Its also the best film with Harrison Ford in it.

Final Cut on bluray is highly recommended.

Shaneus

evlcookie said:
So the final cut is the best cut of bladerunner? I swear there's like 5 different cuts.
The final cut is essentially a remaster of the director's cut and that was the definitive one until FC was released.

legend166

RandomVince said:
Bladerunner is one of the greatest films of all time. Its also the best film with Harrison Ford in it.

Final Cut on bluray is highly recommended.

Raiders of the Lost Ark > Blade Runner.

Although Blade Runner is awesome.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
RandomVince said:
Problem? At least you can still see all the cuts.

No not a problem. I think i watched the DC and enjoyed it but not enough to sit through 5 different cuts or how many cuts there actually are.

evlcookie said:
So the final cut is the best cut of bladerunner? I swear there's like 7 different cuts.
Remastered directors cut of the directors cut basically. Ridley Scott never signed off on the actual original DC back in 1992. The Final Cut was his final production of the film to what he wanted. No Greedo shoots first bullshit thankfully, if you want to watch Blade Runner for the first time I recommend The Final Cut without a doubt. I first saw the 'Directors Cut' and fell in love with the movie so to find out there were several other versions, which were even better, meant I had plenty of time to spend in the universe.

legend166 said:
Raiders of the Lost Ark > Blade Runner.
Both movies are in my top 5 of all time. Blade Runner is number 1 though.

Raiders > Star Wars

RandomVince said:
Time to die.
tumblr_ldvvy3qljp1qe0e2rcm.gif

Yagharek

evlcookie said:
No not a problem. I think i watched the DC and enjoyed it but not enough to sit through 5 different cuts or how many cuts there actually are.

Sorry that came off ruder than I meant it. Its been a long time since I've seen the director and theatrical cuts, but final cut is absolutely worthwhile. The tone of the ending is the main change I believe, but its just so poignant on its own terms. Try and see it if you can.

Also, Prey 2 looks a hell of a lot like Bladerunner.

That scene makes me pretty sad. The speech is one of the greatest!

Also, for those playing Dark Souls, was lucky enough to beat the
Capra Demon
in Lower Undead Burg in my second attempt. Was bloody easy.

Omikron

A chaplain. Tony Abbott and then Lee Kernaghan singing the anthem. Almost enough to make me turn off Bathurst. Actually i might. And watch offsiders.

midonnay

wow @ Insiders...

they showed this clip of Campbell Newman at a press conference and suddenly this young fella had like a heart attack right behind him ._.

Omikron

midonnay said:
wow @ Insiders...

they showed this clip of Campbell Newman at a press conference and suddenly this young fella had like a heart attack right behind him ._.
didn't stop him jokingly blaming the current premier for that as the guy.collapsed

Dead Man

Omi said:
A chaplain. Tony Abbott and then Lee Kernaghan singing the anthem. Almost enough to make me turn off Bathurst. Actually i might. And watch offsiders.
Nah, the racing will be good, you just have to ignore the pre race bullshit.

Kerrby

Banned
How can I be trolling if I think a movie is bad? There's a reason it bombed at the box office hard, like bombed so hard that Hiroshima would be a close comparison.

Kerrby said:
How can I be trolling if I think a movie is bad? There's a reason it bombed at the box office hard, like bombed so hard that Hiroshima would be a close comparison.
Wasn't that big of a bomba. It made it's budget back and has gone on to make tons of money in the vhs/dvd/blu ray market. Like TONS of money.
More of a box office disappointment.

Kerrby

Banned
reptilescorpio said:
Wasn't that big of a bomba. It made it's budget back and has gone on to make tons of money in the vhs/dvd/blu ray market. Like TONS of money.
More of a box office disappointment.

Yeah it made a huge return on VHS/DVD but jesus christ can you tell why haha?

Blade Runner
Signed Senitype Collector's Edition
Director's Cut
Limited Edition Collector's Set
Blade Runner - The Director's Cut (Remastered Limited Edition)
Blade Runner (5-disc Ultimate Collector's Edition)
Blade Runner (5-disc Ultimate Collector's Edition) (Blu-ray)
Blade Runner (5-disc Collector's Edition) (Blu-ray)
Blade Runner (5-disc Collector's Edition) (HD-DVD)
Blade Runner (5-disc Ultimate Collector's Edition) (HD-DVD)
Blade Runner (4-disc Collector's Edition)
Blade Runner - The Final Cut (2-disc Special Edition)
Blade Runner: The Final Cut [Blu-ray]

Dead Man

Kerrby said:
Shall we have a close look at your post? Yes, lets.
Kerrby said:
I'm sorry but Blade Runner is one of the worst movies I've ever seen, I love the cinematography with the sci-fi noir setting but the story/typical 80s bad graphics/stupid love interest/most of the setting just doesn't do it for me.

I also didn't like the ending how the used the unused Shining footage of the mountains. Doesn't fit with the movie at all.

1/10.
So. You love the setting and the cinematography, but it is still one of the worst movies you have seen. Hyperbole rarely suits a serious statement. Then you bag it out for being made in the 80's. And the setting, just after praising the setting.

It is the work of someone who has no understanding of the film, or films in general, or the work of a troll. Your choice, I guess.

Kerrby

Banned
Right so because I don't like a movie, posted the good and bad points about what I did and didn't like; I'm a troll.

Nice detective work Dead Man.

Yagharek

Since when did sales equal quality? Is kerrby dense enough then to suggest avatar is the best film ever? Because that's the logical extension of your argument.

Dead Man

Kerrby said:
Right so because I don't like a movie, posted the good and bad points about what I did and didn't like; I'm a troll.

Nice detective work Dead Man.
Oh. You DON'T know anything about film? Sorry, didn't mean to point out your ignorance. Here's a few tips. If you praise a films setting, you can't then say it is a terrible setting. If you love it's cinematography, it is automatically not one of the worst films. And if it was made in a certain time period, it will be a product of that period and and criticism of it for being a product of that period (sfx lol, or the like) will not be taken seriously.

markot

Banned
Also the graphics were pretty great and aged really well, unlike some other movies.

I bought the 5 disc brief case thingy.... so that doesnt have the final cut >_<?

Oh it does >.>!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Cleaning out my closet, well the top of it. Found $250. I'm rich baby!

A little scared that i completely forgot about it. I'm sure it's been up there for 7 - 10 months.

Kerrby

Banned
RandomVince said:
Since when did sales equal quality? Is kerrby dense enough then to suggest avatar is the best film ever? Because that's the logical extension of your argument.

I'd like to think if a movie is bad, people won't see it.

Saying a movie is "the best film ever" because it got good numbers at the box office is not even remotely what I'm saying.

Dead Man said:
Oh. You DON'T know anything about film? Sorry, didn't mean to point out your ignorance. Here's a few tips. If you praise a films setting, you can't then say it is a terrible setting. If you love it's cinematography, it is automatically not one of the worst films. And if it was made in a certain time period, it will be a product of that period and and criticism of it for being a product of that period (sfx lol, or the like) will not be taken seriously.

Correct, I know nothing about the film which I why I don't like it. I mean to say I love the noir sci fi setting as a genre but didn't like the locations surrounding setting. It was late. If I like the cinematography it can still be one of the worst films I've ever seen. That doesn't make that whole movie. You're wrong on the time period, that could be like criticizing Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus for having bad graphics when other films of that time like Avatar look a lot better. Take Back to the Future for example, sure the films are a few years off but they're in the same time period.

Shaneus said:
On a $30 Cap+ plan you get 500mb by default. If you want, after that you can drop $30 on a $10 and $20 plan to give you an extra 900mb, or do what I do (as an occasional MMSer) and spend $20 on 700mb and $10 for 25 MMSes (or thereabouts).

Beauty of it is is that when dropping cash on a Cap+ plan, you get some data, call/SMS credit *and* $30 to spend on those packs. Plus you're on the Telstra network, which is pretty boss. Shit, if I went up to a $40 prepaid I'd have $510 call credit, 1gb included data AND $40 credit to spend on more packs like additional data, MMSes or whatever.
So you can use credit to buy browsing packs? Well, shit. That's cool.

Yagharek

Kerrby said:

Saying a movie is "the best film ever" because it got good numbers at the box office is not even remotely what I'm saying.

What you're saying is absurd. Great films will have poor receipts when they don't have big advertising budgets or limited distribution. Or niche appeal.

Shaneus

roosters93 said:
So you can use credit to buy browsing packs? Well, shit. That's cool.
Yup, but not call credit. I think it's called Telstra credit or something. Whatever amount you spend on the pre-paid card you get in that credit which you can spend on packs. At least, that's what I've found with the $30 one... I'd assume it's the same for all.

evlcookie said:

A little scared that i completely forgot about it. I'm sure it's been up there for 7 - 10 months.

Lucky. The only thing I find while cleaning is dog hair.

markot

Banned
evlcookie said:

Im pretty sure I lost $250 on your closet awhile ago >.<!

markot said:
Also the graphics were pretty great and aged really well, unlike some other movies.
I bought the 5 disc brief case thingy.... so that doesnt have the final cut >_<?
Oh it does >.>!
Yeah the blu ray still looks amazing. Not many movies have been able to recreate that future Los Angeles in such a believable fashion. Huge influence on Deus Ex obviously.

Also there were only a handful of releases.
Film release
VHS release
Directors Cut DVD release (and limited film showings)
Collectors Edition DVD/Blu Ray/HD DVD release with Final Cut available seperate (and limited film showings)

So really only 4. No different to stuff like Superman 2.

Kerrby said:

Blade Runner made good numbers. It made it's budget back at a time when it released alongside The Thing, Wrath of Khan and ET.
Plenty of indie movies are still great movies even though they don't make a ton of money. No different to the music or video game industry.

3chopl0x said:
Are you cookies mum by chance? And how would you describe your relationship with Kritz?
Horizontal. :)

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
evlcookie said:

alright there marshall mathers

Shaneus said:
Yup, but not call credit. I think it's called Telstra credit or something. Whatever amount you spend on the pre-paid card you get in that credit which you can spend on packs. At least, that's what I've found with the $30 one... I'd assume it's the same for all.

Yeah I found it a bit confusing differentiating between the 30 bucks recharge you get when you recharge (lol) and the bonus call/text style credit.

So when you go onto your account on your phone or PC to buy browsing/MMS packs, how does it work? Do you go to buy them and it says you already have $30 credit to use towards them?

I think I might go down the same route as you and get a pre-paid 4S. I want to go on Telstra but their plans are normally expensive so this might be the way to go. Then I can sell it and upgrade to a 5 as well.

Yagharek

Just on special effects, Bladerunner has aged really well. Like the first two Alien films, there is a judicious use of scale models which age far more gracefully than early CGI.

I wonder why there hasn't been a Neuromancer film yet.

midonnay

box office numbers don't really work like that....

I think its theorised that a movie has to make three times its production budget to break even..... (marketing costs plus the revenue split with cinemas, international distributors etc)

Shaneus

roosters93 said:
Yeah I found it a bit confusing differentiating between the 30 bucks recharge you get when you recharge (lol) and the bonus call/text style credit.

So when you go onto your account on your phone or PC to buy browsing/MMS packs, how does it work? Do you go to buy them and it says you already have $30 credit to use towards them?

I think I might go down the same route as you and get a pre-paid 4S. I want to go on Telstra but their plans are normally expensive so this might be the way to go. Then I can sell it and upgrade to a 5 as well.
puel2.png

That's the Bigpond app. I think the extra $20 is an extra bonus they throw in from time to time (it is normally just $30) and the rest is what's left of my call credit. I haven't even bought any extra packs yet this much and find they what's already included pretty much does me. If I need to top up on data or whatever, I can do that anytime.

To break down:
Recharge credit balance - The credit you can spend on packs. It will also be used on calls if your bonus cap runs out.
Bonus cap - The credit that calls/SMS come from. Maybe MMS as well, I can't confirm.
Bonus data - The data that's included in the plan. Data you've bought in a pack will show up separately.
Cap+ night time - I think just a promotion they're running now for free calls after 6pm or something.

Oh, I finally get it. They're not giving you an extra $30, that's just the $30 recharge you bought. And you can spend it on data because you don't need to use it towards calls/text because they give you $220 bonus credit.

Thanks for explaining it. :)
It's looking like an attractive option considering it's Telstra's fast speeds without their expensive plans, and no 24 month contract so I can upgrade to an iPhone 5 or perhaps something else next year. Cheers.

Super duper Zavvi sale!!! (if you wanna grab Space Marines)

Buy any Price Crash sale item and get PS3/360 copy of Space Marines for $29!!!

X-men Destiny for 360/PS3 for $61!!! The next magnum opus from Silicon Knights!!!
Saints Row 3 for 360/PS3 for $56!!! It's like GTA4 only fun!!!
Uncharted 3 for PS3 for $61!!! Try the latest in this cult classic series!!!
DJ Hero 2 double pack on 360 for $49!!! Make Bobby am cry!!!
Yakuza 4 on PS3 for $26!!! 4 times the orphanages means 4 times the fun!!!
No More Heroes: Heroes Paradise on PS3 for $30!!! Move your way up the assassin ladder!!!
Ratchet & Clank double pack for PS3 for $30!!! More guns! More platforms! More loot! Times two!
Resistance 1+2 double pack for PS3 for $30!!! Experience World War 2 for the first time! Plus aliens! Plus stuff!
Rock Band Beatles plus 2 mics for PS3 for $30!!! Chicks dig SingStar! Now bearable with decent music!
Or just Rock Band Beatles for PS3 for $12!!! For controller led yumminess!
Also Sing Star Guitar for PS3 for $12!!! So yeah! Singstar! Woo!
Resonance of Fate for 360 for $21!!! jPRG John Woo movie! Woo!
Dead Rising 2 Frank West Version for 360 for $30!!! Re-imagined with our favourite war hero!!!
Super SFIV Arcade Edition for PS3/360 for $30!!! Complete your collection with another edition! Quick! Before they bring out another one!
El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron for PS3/360 for $30!!! Glourious jRPG madness! Stunning artwork! Megatron!
Red Dead Redemption GOTY edition for 360/PS3 for $40!!! GOTY for the zombie/western genres! No stupid DLC vouchers!
Castlevania Lord of Shadows for 360/PS3 for $22!!! Kojima's latest masterpiece! Sneaking paradise! The true ZOE3!
Lost Planet 2 for PS3 for $15!!! I think someone on here liked it!
Prince of Persia HD Trilogy for PS3 for $17!!! On a disc! Persian! Good!
Tomb Raider HD Trilogy for PS3 for $17!!! On a disc! Raiding! Good!
Black 360 controller for 360 for $30!!! Comes with an empty battery pack! Use Eneloops! Official batteries die after 3 years (unsubstantiated claim by me)!

Yagharek

Dead Man said:
How is Zavvi at shipping pre orders? SR3 is 60 at Ozgameshop I think.

They get around to shipping eventually. If you preorder after the initial batch is allocated, expect to wait a month with scant details.

Dead Man

RandomVince said:
They get around to shipping eventually. If you preorder after the initial batch is allocated, expect to wait a month with scant details.
Hmmm... not worth it I don't think. I don't know what JB is charging for the preorder, Ozgameshop will normally take a couple weeks... do I want to wait?

Dead Man said:
How is Zavvi at shipping pre orders? SR3 is 60 at Ozgameshop I think.
$57 but without the pre-order pack which is unavailable for some reason. Never used either of them for pre-orders. I will say that I still haven't received my copy of Child of Eden PS3 from OGS that I pre-ordered that was sent out on 29/09.

JB have 3 options. The Platinum Pack for $174, the Maximum Pleasure Edition for $109 or the game by itself along with the pre-order DLC for $109.

OGS may have run out of DLC coupons or just pulled the price for the time being.

Dead Man

reptilescorpio said:
$57 but without the pre-order pack which is unavailable for some reason. Never used either of them for pre-orders. I will say that I still haven't received my copy of Child of Eden PS3 from OGS that I pre-ordered that was sent out on 29/09.
I thought they had it? Weird, it is showing unavailable now.

Top Bottom