• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Fogz

Some good prices there at Zavvi, too bad it'll take like 3 months to get here :(

Been wanting to get El Shaddai, No More Heroes, Castlevania, and catch up on Resistance

Shaneus

Fogz said:
Some good prices there at Zavvi, too bad it'll take like 3 months to get here :(

Been wanting to get El Shaddai, No More Heroes, Castlevania, and catch up on Resistance
NMH is only $34 shipped from Ozgameshop. That's almost exactly the same price from Zavvi when you factor in shipping, except Ozgameshop is a known quantity. In fact, I'd almost put money on the fact that my copy of Eden will arrive on Monday after it was shipped a little over a week ago.

Bernbaum

reptilescorpio said:
Uncharted 3 for PS3 for $61!!! Try the latest in this cult classic series!!!
You comedian.

-

Ico in the can. Still great. Will sleep on it and come back to the delightful if inferior Shadow and Colossus: Back in Action.

Fogz

Shaneus said:
NMH is only $34 shipped from Ozgameshop. That's almost exactly the same price from Zavvi when you factor in shipping, except Ozgameshop is a known quantity. In fact, I'd almost put money on the fact that my copy of Eden will arrive on Monday after it was shipped a little over a week ago.

Ah thanks for the tip :) Yeah I'm expecting (hoping!!) Child of Eden on Monday as well.

reptilescorpio said:
I will say that I still haven't received my copy of Child of Eden PS3 from OGS that I pre-ordered that was sent out on 29/09.

That's 'cause you live in the bush.
3AQmK.gif

My previous 3 orders from OGS have each arrived within 7 working days.

Deeku

reptilescorpio said:
I will say that I still haven't received my copy of Child of Eden PS3 from OGS that I pre-ordered that was sent out on 29/09.
I reckon we'll get it this week. There are a few here who had it sent out on the same day so let's see who gets it first!

Fogz said:

OzGameShop and Zavvi tend to have the same prices and same delivery times.
I factored in delivery costs when putting up the converted prices. Half a pound per game now. Never had a problem with either one. Usually 1-2 weeks delivery.

Shaneus said:
A good site to check out is www.gamecafe.com.au, basically a price aggregate site similar to Static Ice for PC hardware, but for games.
Wish they updated the prices more often. Find a lot of out of stock prices and they didn't even put Zavvi down as free postage until I told them about it a month into the deal. Actually, they haven't even changed the postage BACK to not free yet.

Agyar

Biggest difference I've found between Zavvi/The Hut and Ozgameshop is Ozgameshop is much better at shipping pre-orders on time. I tend to use it over Zavvi unless I'm not in a hurry and Zavvi has a significantly lower price (sale/coupon/whatever).

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
I factored in delivery costs when putting up the converted prices. Half a pound per game now. Never had a problem with either one. Usually 1-2 weeks delivery.
I just don't know you anymore. First you're promoting Ozgameshop, then Zavvi, then someone else... it's like you're luring us (me) into buying stuff only to justify your own extravagant spending habits.

I totally know where you're coming from, though. When I lived with my folks and I wanted really bad food, I'd often by the rest of my family something as well just so I wouldn't feel alone in pounding on the kilos.

Fogz

reptilescorpio said:

In my experience Zavvi has been a LOT slower getting stuff to me then OGS.

But who knows maybe I've just been unlucky

Bernbaum said:
Ping Pong Show!

Last night I found myself sharing drinks and dinner with some backpacker friends in Bangkok's infamous Patpong Road markets. We'd been accosted earlier in the week by streetdudes promising to take us to a Ping Pong show and our big night out had come! The area is notorious for it and a frequent destination for travelers up for a laugh.

With a menu that reads 'Pussy Show Ping Pong FREE; Pussy Show Banana FREE; Pussy Show Dart FREE; Pussy Show razorblade magic FREE; Pussy Show woman and man have fucking FREE' it's a bit hard not to be intrigued by the prospect. And hey, our group was mostly girls so it's nothing suss.

We'd done our homework - everyone in Bangkok is out to rip off the westerners. Stories of 'free' entertainment (provided drinks were purchased) that ended up with clients arguing with insanely overpriced hidden costs are the norm. A lot of those stories end up with the naive travelers getting roughed up by the bar owners so we were on our guard but up for entertainment. The place we were looking for couldn't be found so we surrendered to one of the random streetdudes. We wanted to be very clear on what we were getting into - '100 baht beers, no extra cost, understand?' We insisted that he understood.

He agreed and took us to the place.

The place was empty with the exception of a white dude and his Asian partner and the only others in attendance looked like they worked there. And then of course were the girls - half a dozen unattractive desperate-looking Thai women wearing nothing but bottoms and socks.

Here's what we got to enjoy:

-Ice cubes being shot into a glass.
-The words 'HELLO WELCOME' being written on a placard with a marker pen.
-A clown horn being blown (they turned the music off and I was in stitches laughing).
-Soda water bottles being opened and sprayed over the girls in our group.
-A party whistle being blown.
-A weird long flexible string that looked to be made of mini-glowsticks shoved up, and then retrieved from one the ladies' babymaker. Didn't quite get this one.
-Balloons being shot with a dart gun.

All of these acts were executed without any class. The ladies un-sexily slid off their knickers, squatted down and away they went.

We made one mistake early - after each act, the girls would come by our table (we were the only group there and a loud one at that) and clink glasses with us. We quickly did the math and realized that with each clink we'd agreed to buy them that drink. After that we ignored invitations to charge glasses with them. Then they offered for one of us to hold a balloon whilst she shot at it with a dart gun. I knew we would be charged with it, but hey, when the hell am I going to be in Thailand again?

Holding a balloon that got shot out of my hand by a dartgun-wielding vagina is now one of my favorite memories. I have the little rubber thingy in my wallet so I can use it when telling the story to passengers on my daily commute.

After about 30 minutes of entertainment the moment came - we'd finished our first round of drinks and the manager came over and demanded the tab be settled. The sum? 7,700B (about $290 USD). They had the bill written out in three sections: our drinks; the girls drinks (which cost 500B amazingly) and the 'extra entertainment'. The music had stopped playing and we were surrounded by the bouncer, manager and several demanding-looking Thai strippers. Of course we refused to pay anything above the 500B total we'd expected to fork out for drinks. They start striking items off the list and bring the price down but we refuse to budge. We mention the agreement made with the dude on the street, only to be met with 'We don't know him - we never agreed!'

Now, I'm a tall guy and I have a bit of bulk on me but I've never been in a fight. The Thai people on the other hand, are pretty bloody good at it. We're in their backyard and they've no doubt been through this whole 'confuse the westerner with the bill' act before and are skilled grifters. Plus, I'm a modern well-paid professional that could have afforded paying up simply to avoid having my teeth knocked out. I like having teeth. My backpacker cohorts didn't have the same spending leisure I did and it is with thanks to my Irish mate (who looked like he could hold his own happily in a fight) that we stuck to our guns and demanded we pay not a cent more than 500B. When Australia goes to war next, lets invite the Irish.

We got up, filed towards the door, and paid the 500B all to the tune of naked girls telling us 'You no fair mister'. No manhandling and no-one stood in our way between our seats and the door.

The moment we step out onto the street we notice people pointing us out and following us down the night market. At the cab rank, people we hadn't met before and weren't cabbies/Tuk Tuk drivers were asking what hotel we were staying at and we assume the worst. Luckily we get into a cab that accepts payment on the meter, we tell him loudly the name of a made-up hotel before getting in and then halfway along the road tell him the real address. Not until we get to the hotel bar do we start laughing about it over a drink.

Surely the story of 'naive westerners get taken advantage of by the promise of a ping pong show' wasn't unique to us. If anything, being threatened over the bill is as much a part of the experience as is avoiding getting sprayed with mineral water from a teenager's vagina.

Three highlights for me this year - Helicopter ride through the Grand Canyon, seeing the sun rise over Angkor Wat ruins and getting hustled by the Ping Pong bar management in Thailand.

Jeez...I love your story. Thailand sounds like a fun place to visit. ):

Deeku

I haven't used zavvi in a while since they took almost 5 weeks to deliver my Yakuza 4. Package was sent from Sweden too which was kinda weird. Or maybe it was Switzerland, I forget.

hamchan

Dayum, Dark Souls has baaaaaad framerate issues in one certain area, probably the worst area in the whole game.

If you thought Castlevania had bad framerate, this area is like half the frames of that.

Deeku

I thought the bit at the beginning where you could go down to the water and get boned by ghosts was already pretty bad:/

Jintor

RandomVince said:
Beans.

Spill them.

I think I was supposed to inform the university that I expected to graduate from one of my two degrees about a month ago and I only just found out.

This is extremely bad news when I need to have a degree next year to apply for a different program...

Jintor

Yeah, I gotta pick up some academic transcripts tommorrow anyway and I have a three hour break in the middle of the day.

Still, it's a bit of a shock to know you've missed a deadline you didn't even know existed.

midonnay

http://www.news.com.au/national/clu...-machine-reforms/story-e6frfkvr-1226162190038

The reforms would introduce a $250-a-day withdrawal limit from ATMs inside pokie venues to stop problem gamblers from accessing too much cash. But ATMs outside venues would not be subject to such restrictions.

A private strategy paper obtained exclusively by The Sunday Mail reveals that clubs are prepared to put ATMs on trailers, in carparks and in adjacent buildings to sidestep the restrictions.

Check out the Clubs Queensland media training workbook here.

In an embarrassing blunder, the clubs' briefing was placed on the Clubs Queensland website, where it was discovered by The Sunday Mail last week.

Crucially, the document also indicates clubs are publicly exaggerating the impact of planned mandatory pre-commitment measures, which will require gamblers to set limits before they play.

Clubs estimate they will lose 10 to 20 per cent of gaming machine revenue under the worst-case scenario - not 40 per cent as widely claimed - the briefing says.

Check out the Clubs Australia - Future Directions paper here.

There would be additional set-up and operating expenses and a 5 per cent drop in bar and food takings.

Anti-gambling campaigner Senator Nick Xenophon said the document was a "smoking gun" that showed clubs would continue to thrive.

"This is proof in black and white that the clubs have been misleading journalists, their members, politicians and the public - that's un-Australian," he said.

"Behind closed doors, they admit the drop will only be 10-20 per cent. The planned attempts to get around the proposed ATM restrictions are sick and cynical."

Cohsae

No uni on Friday, some nice lady gave me and my 2 friends free tickets to the Jets game while we were waiting in line (she works for a sponsor and had 3 leftover), and this morning I went paint-balling and shot some fools.

Quality weekend. Now to catch up on uni work play video games while watching the soccer.

Shit yeah.

Rahk

Jintor said:
I think I was supposed to inform the university that I expected to graduate from one of my two degrees about a month ago and I only just found out.

This is extremely bad news when I need to have a degree next year to apply for a different program...
I think I did the same thing. All I did was email them like a couple weeks or so before the graduation ceremony and it was all good. Have you received any mail regarding the ceremony? I'm sure they're used to uni students leaving everything till the last minute.

Just go in and talk to them.

Jintor

Yeah, doin' it tommorrow.

The main thing is that I need a cert of expected graduation and fast

/edit on an unrelated note, I just randomly saw an Archer vid on youtube, and now clearly I need to watch Archer

evlcookie said:
Not a journo!
Works in a warehouse and his old man is in the industry.
Actually Choc is the warehouses super intelligent stock taking software. Which is why he is either in RAGE or JOY mode when he posts.

Also I didn't know I had to change my exam location until late the night of the deadline. Uni is full of deadlines they don't bother to tell you about.

Forza 4 must be a GOTY to have such a meh press kit.

Rahk

Jintor said:
Yeah, doin' it tommorrow.

The main thing is that I need a cert of expected graduation and fast
Do you need that to apply for the other program or is that to inform the University that you will be completing?

I remember there being a form in estudent for expected graduation or whatever, but I honestly never remember doing that. Maybe there's a gap in my memory, but I think I just emailed them and they set it all up a couple weeks before the ceremony.

Jintor

Rahk said:
Do you need that to apply for the other program or is that to inform the University that you will be completing?

I remember there being a form in estudent for expected graduation or whatever, but I honestly never remember doing that. Maybe there's a gap in my memory, but I think I just emailed them and they set it all up a couple weeks before the ceremony.

I need that to apply for the other program, but the way my degree is set up (combined law) i think I need to inform the uni that I expect to graduate next year from one of the degrees (because in 2013 I need to transfer over to whatever their new syllabus is since it's different to my one... goddamnit)

It's a real mess.

Deeku

Exciting game, and yeah that Cooper guy was terrible.

Edit:
Jintor said:
I need that to apply for the other program, but the way my degree is set up (combined law) i think I need to inform the uni that I expect to graduate next year from one of the degrees (because in 2013 I need to transfer over to whatever their new syllabus is since it's different to my one... goddamnit)

It's a real mess.
Don't you just stay on your current syllabus since you're already doing it? That's what happened when they introduced the people/planet crap. Or is this something more complicated? Transferring sounds real messy indeed.

Rezbit

RandomVince said:
If I understood rugby union I would be excited now.

I agree! Was pretty intense though. Will watch semi-final, won't know what's happening. Some of the penalties are just what.

K-mart don't want my money. I REAAALLLY wanted to impulse buy Dark Souls, and no other shops are open obviously, but they didn't have it. Now I have to think about if I really want it or if I should just buy BF3 instead.

Top Bottom