• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Wall of text incoming, apologies.

So if anyone out there is like me and trying to buy less games, here's a thing.

Over the past few months when I've found myself getting hyped for an upcoming or recent release, I have followed a routine which has helped me cut down on buying new games.

When I'm hyped for a game, if I have the previous game in the series (if the new game is a sequel or spiritual successor) I go home and play it. If there is a new IP which I am hyped about, I play something of the same genre. 9 times out of 10 it has been a long time since I played it so everything seems fresh. Also, as I have a tendency to not finish games, most of the time I have not even finished the previous game.

If I find myself enjoying the game, I keep playing it. If I finish said game and still want more, I buy the new game. However I have found that most of the time I either have had enough of said game, or have not enjoyed my time with it as much as I remember and therefore lose hype for the new release. Either way, I find that most of the time the itch for playing whatever the new game I'm hyped about has been scratched.

A few examples of recent releases which I have been hyped to purchase but have not due to this process:

Infamous 2
Resistance 3
Gears of War 3

I know that all three of these game have vast improvements over their predecessors, and odds are I will play them eventually when they are in the bargain bin. But I've been able to resist buying them as new releases, something which I've always had trouble with!

Of course this only works because I have a somewhat extensive amount of games in my backlog. But as a gamer with a mortgage I've found it has been a good way to save some cash and work through my backlog.

tl;dr Play your old games more.

Aon

hamchan said:
Omg GT5 Spec II out in 3 hours.

Everyone with the game should also remember to play the Vettel seasonal event which instantly gives you the best car in the game and 5,000,000 credits.

I am so tempted to go out and buy this game @ 25 dollars, what with all the Forza hype and this patch and people talking about it and me wondering if I might be able to get into car racing, so to speak.

But I really don't have time with Dark Souls and Breaking Bad ;__;

But I get the feeling I might well buy it anyways :(

You should definitely get infamous 2, it's a vast improvement over the first, and tons of fun.

Resistance 3 you can skip, because the storytelling took a massive hit. It's more of a point a to point b shooter. Still has some of the best and most unique guns in a fps, so pick it up if that floats your boat.

Gears of war 3 is a weekend rental in any case, unless you're interested in the multiplayer.

Shaneus

Aon said:
I am so tempted to go out and buy this game @ 25 dollars, what with all the Forza hype and this patch and people talking about it and me wondering if I might be able to get into car racing, so to speak.

But I really don't have time with Dark Souls and Breaking Bad ;__;

But I get the feeling I might well buy it anyways :(
Get FM4. Get them to break street date for me.

midonnay

Occupy Lygon Street!!!

who's with me? ._.

they had a funny bit on the daily show about the occupyers pissing off local businesses because they were washing up and craping in the toliets without buying anything.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
This is the headline on the age for a girl who got hit by a train yesterday.

A loud boom, then Teresa was sent flying

I can't help but laugh and then feel sad. It's just an odd title to use for such a story, sent flying, that just sounds hilarious. Like you don't think it's about a girl being killed by a train but instead some sort of silly joke / prank / being shot out of a cannon or something.

Shaneus

So, any updates for people who ordered their 4S on the Apple website? I ordered on Saturday so I'm guessing I'll be in the second batch of sendouts, but would be good to know if others are having their order status updated.

Shaneus

RandomVince said:
I'm sure shaneus would be excited instead of getting a Forza 4 street date breakage. :p
Ahaha. I'm curious about it and it may get me to play it again for a bit, but I need a new experience as I was pretty soured with the general design of GT5 (which I doubt has been fixed).

That, coupled with 4S has made this an anxious week for me. I wasn't even excited about the 4S in the first place :/

hamchan

Child of Eden and SOTC/ICO collection arrived yay. Too many games to play already and the game avalanche hasn't even started yet.

Arnold on Triple J makes me happy.
Down.
Up.
Down.
Up.
Come on! More Energy!

Shaneus said:
Forza 4. Street. Broken yet?
Apparently a JB Hifi in Perth has broken. Might be an idea to fly over and check? ;)

Actually why bother! Run down and pick up a copy of the superior GT5!!! Now with Mark II!!! I don't actually play racing games so don't hurt me!!!

BanShunsaku said:
Infamous 2 is totally awesome for that price. HUGE step up from the first game and so much fun. Plus tons of community generated levels. Also some cool vampire DLC coming up. Buy it!

jambo said:
Metro is awesome, reptile is a smelly head.
When I get home from work I will ist off what irked me about Metro and made me have no interest in the developer any more after really looking forward to it after loving STALKER.
Also I would take your mother out for a nice seafood dinner and then never call her.

evlcookie said:
The media really does fucking piss me off with how they communicate it. Why not say, "Tragic train accident leads to passing of a woman". No one wants to read that shit after having their daughter/sister/wife/mother pass away. How about some fucking respect.

Shaneus

Omi said:
iPhone 4S pre-orders over 1 mill apparently.

Jobs is a marketing GOD.
What's bizarre is that I was debating whether to get one and I own a 3GS. Fuck knows why people with a 4 would want one.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Apparently a JB Hifi in Perth has broken. Might be an idea to fly over and check? ;)

Actually why bother! Run down and pick up a copy of the superior GT5!!! Now with Mark II!!! I don't actually play racing games so don't hurt me!!!
Where'd you hear that? I'd be keen to check out the thread it came from to see if others have luck.

PS. You may not like racing games but you really should check out any iteration of Outrun 2/SP/Coast2Coast/Online Arcade (if you haven't already).

Yagharek

BanShunsaku said:
Wall of text incoming, apologies.

So if anyone out there is like me and trying to buy less games, here's a thing.

Over the past few months when I've found myself getting hyped for an upcoming or recent release, I have followed a routine which has helped me cut down on buying new games.

When I'm hyped for a game, if I have the previous game in the series (if the new game is a sequel or spiritual successor) I go home and play it. If there is a new IP which I am hyped about, I play something of the same genre. 9 times out of 10 it has been a long time since I played it so everything seems fresh. Also, as I have a tendency to not finish games, most of the time I have not even finished the previous game.

If I find myself enjoying the game, I keep playing it. If I finish said game and still want more, I buy the new game. However I have found that most of the time I either have had enough of said game, or have not enjoyed my time with it as much as I remember and therefore lose hype for the new release. Either way, I find that most of the time the itch for playing whatever the new game I'm hyped about has been scratched.

A few examples of recent releases which I have been hyped to purchase but have not due to this process:

Infamous 2
Resistance 3
Gears of War 3

I know that all three of these game have vast improvements over their predecessors, and odds are I will play them eventually when they are in the bargain bin. But I've been able to resist buying them as new releases, something which I've always had trouble with!

Of course this only works because I have a somewhat extensive amount of games in my backlog. But as a gamer with a mortgage I've found it has been a good way to save some cash and work through my backlog.

tl;dr Play your old games more.

Thats a really good idea. I guess it depends on how much you buy, how much of a backlog you have and whether you have certain buying habits (eg "I'll buy that one to play later" in a collecting type of mode. I do that a bit).

I have a large-ish backlog that I'll never get rid of, largely because there is no value to selling them off and they are probably going to be playable for a long time yet (ie SNES, N64 and GC collections). I've culled my OG XBox collection to a few top-tier gems, same with PS2 although that's a bit larger. Maybe the balance is something like 60GC, 30 PS2, 10 XBox.

I think Ive got a similar split on this gen. >60 Wii, 15 on 360 and about a dozen on PS3.
One thing Ive noticed is that the Wii games have a 50/50 split between pick up and play arcadey games that my wife will play, the other 50% seem mostly to be epic games that require a >60 hour investment that I just dont have time for. Thinking along the lines of Metroid Prime Trilogy, Xenoblade, Rune Factory Frontier and S&P2.

Most Ps360 games Ive got are 8-12 hour jobs, and Ive culled them down to ones I absolutely love/could never get rid of: think Orange Box, Portal 2, Pro Evo.

I might try what you suggest, but I think I'm too far down the rabbit hole to crawl out anytime soon.

Yagharek

Shaneus said:
PS. You may not like racing games but you really should check out any iteration of Outrun 2/SP/Coast2Coast/Online Arcade (if you haven't already).

Seconded. You can even get enjoyment from the game if you dont move when the race starts. Watch the flag waver.

RandomVince said:
I might try what you suggest, but I think I'm too far down the rabbit hole to crawl out anytime soon.

I'm calling it the Hype Transfer method.

I think the reason why it works for me is because I seem to easily get caught up in hype.

Example: I've been trying to avoid buying Dark Souls, so today I decide I'm going to buy it in my lunch break. Then I realise I want to buy Batman next week so I really don't want to buy another game right now. So I start thinking about Demon's Souls, how much I enjoyed playing it, and how I would love to play it again. So I transfer my hype to getting home tonight and starting a new game of Demon's Souls, and I don't buy anything.

I'll probably buy Dark Souls eventually, but playing Demon's Souls tonight might just scratch that itch for me.

Shaneus said:
What's bizarre is that I was debating whether to get one and I own a 3GS. Fuck knows why people with a 4 would want one.
Sheeple? Same reason my gf wants to buy a new pair of shoes every second day. She likes shiny, new things and it makes her feel good inside. Psychological wants and stuff.

jambo

reptilescorpio said:
When I get home from work I will ist off what irked me about Metro and made me have no interest in the developer any more after really looking forward to it after loving STALKER.

Also I would take your mother out for a nice seafood dinner and then never call her.

My mother is a Saint!

Shaneus said:

I have a 4 and I have no desire to upgrade. Waiting till next year, ether iPhone 5 or whatever Android and WP7 models are around.

Shaneus said:
Where'd you hear that? I'd be keen to check out the thread it came from to see if others have luck.

I was lying ;)

I enjoy plenty of racing games but just don't have time for them now. Played the hell out of Outrun and Sega Rally. Love Wipeout and the last few Ridge Racers.

Rahk

evlcookie said:

I can't help but laugh and then feel sad. It's just an odd title to use for such a story, sent flying, that just sounds hilarious. Like you don't think it's about a girl being killed by a train but instead some sort of silly joke / prank / being shot out of a cannon or something.
There was another article I read, the heading was "Female drivers slam cars into trees."

Sounds like an article based on statistics or something, but there were four separate accidents in the same night.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Sheeple? Same reason my gf wants to buy a new pair of shoes every second day. She likes shiny, new things and it makes her feel good inside. Psychological wants and stuff.
You didn't answer my other question about thing. JB. Street date. Forza.

Edit: You shit cunt. I want my copy of Lego Star Wars back.

Yagharek

BanShunsaku said:
I'm calling it the Hype Transfer method.

I think the reason why it works for me is because I seem to easily get caught up in hype.

Example: I've been trying to avoid buying Dark Souls, so today I decide I'm going to buy it in my lunch break. Then I realise I want to buy Batman next week so I really don't want to buy another game right now. So I start thinking about Demon's Souls, how much I enjoyed playing it, and how I would love to play it again. So I transfer my hype to getting home tonight and starting a new game of Demon's Souls, and I don't buy anything.

I'll probably buy Dark Souls eventually, but playing Demon's Souls tonight might just scratch that itch for me.

A noble quest and I wish you well in it. Report back when you fail. :p

I'm just trying to be more selective with what I buy. I've figured that it's cheaper to avoid launch days, except in the cases of long in the tooth games that never drop in price (in which case JB usually do the cheapest prices then and there), or for games that are so niche a limited print run is all but given.

I did what you're doing last year, I played RE4, Arkham Asylum and Orange Box back to back. I havent played that many high quality games in such a short time ever. And then I followed it up with a completion of SMG2. Great times.

I might go through Paper Mario TTYD, Xenoblade and Deus Ex HR for my next block.

Rahk said:
There was another article I read, the heading was "Female drivers slam cars into trees."

Sounds like an article based on statistics or something, but there were four separate accidents in the same night.
I wonder what headline would they have for 6 incidents in a week of parents reversing their cars and killing their toddlers...

Shaneus said:
Because:
new-hat-stacy.gif

BanShunsaku said:
When I'm hyped for a game, if I have the previous game in the series (if the new game is a sequel or spiritual successor) I go home and play it.
I did this earlier this year in Dead Space. It certainly takes a lot of wind out of the sails of a new game if you haven't finished the old one.

This, coupled with my "not allowed to buy a new game until you finish two from the existing backlog" rule has really cut down on my spending. But the big challenge now is that it's big game season.

Shaneus

Haha, that's all good! Glad to hear that someone who isn't (I don't think) that much into cars/driving games (at least, as I am) be impressed with it. Don't think you're a cunt at all :)

codswallop said:
Because:
http://www.thetelecomblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/new-hat-stacy.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
I'm sure I remember making that same point (with possibly the same link) either here or on another forum. Thankfully, I think I can swing justifying one over a 3GS.

Yagharek

Choc said:
Shaneus not to be a cock and all but Forza 4 is fucking amazing

Haha, choc getting in on something ahead of shaneus. You should get as much mileage out of it as possible, then remind shaneus its all oooooooolllld news when he finally gets it. :p

Shaneus

RandomVince said:
Haha, choc getting in on something ahead of shaneus. You should get as much mileage out of it as possible, then remind shaneus its all oooooooolllld news when he finally gets it. :p
angry.gif

Gazunta

In terms of difficulty, will the Evo3D be far easier to purchase this weekend than an iPhone 4S?

I'm not expecting to actually GET a 4S any time soon but if the wife has to put up with her 3G one more day longer than she has to there will be hell to pay.

Yeah I seriously doubt I'll be at the EB show at all this weekend. I 'might' be there Thursday or Friday, who knows, I don't.

Top Bottom