• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Yagharek

Shaneus said:
angry.gif

I actually thought FM4 came out last year or so ago. I thought we had two Forzas on xbox and FM3 came out about 4 years back? So I'm surprised to hear it's actually out this week.

Choc

Banned
what the fuck does this mean on the eb site

cta-join.png

the file is cta-join.png

wtf is cta

i do not think its expo related

Yagharek

Isnt that just their trade and save bunny rabbit? It will probably be a scheme where you can trade in your old games for something. Again.

What Id love to see them offer is a trade in deal for all the useless Ltd Edn crap that publishers release. I need to get rid of my cat hat.

Gazunta

Choc, I haven't, I'm definitely on board the 4S train, this is for the wife who is after an Android phone of some description. As much as I love the iPhone, I can't argue with the fact it's pretty hopeless at the 'phone' part. She's gotten her wish list of Android phones down to 3 different models, and the Evo 3D is the newest one.

Choc

Banned
yes but why the 3D?

like the 3DS its a gimmick

get the Galaxy S2 or Desire HD etc etc

deek is that girl in your avatar your gf or something?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Choc said:
yes but why the 3D?

get the Galaxy S2 or Desire HD etc etc

deek is that girl in your avatar your gf or something?

Ocarina of Time is better with 3d on then off.

Shaneus

RandomVince said:
I actually thought FM4 came out last year or so ago. I thought we had two Forzas on xbox and FM3 came out about 4 years back? So I'm surprised to hear it's actually out this week.
Only the 1 on Xbox, 3 on 360.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Choc said:
yes but why the 3D?

3D has practical application to video games, and when used correctly is far from a (under negative connotations) gimmick.

Jintor

3D is more in line with a graphical/perceptive upgrade than anything else. Unless it actively affects gameplay, of course

Fredescu

Gazunta said:
She's gotten her wish list of Android phones down to 3 different models, and the Evo 3D is the newest one.
One thing to keep in mind is the internal storage. Looks like it's only 1GB on the Evo 3D. I have a HTC Desire with only 512MB and it's annoying as hell. The phones can use the SD card to run applications from, but you still have to download it to the internal storage first and then move it later. You're much better off getting something like the Galaxy 2 which has 16GB straight up.

Gaz, unless your wife desperately wants the 3D feature, get the Galaxy S2 or HTC Incredible S. There's a reason there aren't more phones with 3D screens out yet, no one really wants it and there's nothing out there to support it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jintor said:
3D is more in line with a graphical/perceptive upgrade than anything else. Unless it actively affects gameplay, of course

Right, but by default a stereo perspective should affect gameplay, not so much the mechanical design, but the act of interactivity. Even if subtle, true stereoscopic imagery is exactly what any interactive medium needs, moreso than linear mediums like film.

Gazunta

Awesome guys, thanks very much for the feedback. The only reason the 3D Evo is on the list is that it's the 'newest'. The Incredible S and...some other HTC phone is also on the list. We're totally blind to how Android works (and I suspect it's going to come as a shock how clunky it feels compared to iOS)

Also: holy crap is it interesting to watch women choose technology products based on things we wouldn't even consider

Jintor

EatChildren said:
Right, but by default a stereo perspective should affect gameplay, not so much the mechanical design, but the act of interactivity. Even if subtle, true stereoscopic imagery is exactly what any interactive medium needs, moreso than linear mediums like film.

what do you mean by interactivity in this instance?

Gaz, don't limit the choices just to HTC. Samsung, HTC and Motorola all have their own "skin" on top of Android and all feel like very different devices.

Gazunta said:
Choc, I haven't, I'm definitely on board the 4S train, this is for the wife who is after an Android phone of some description. As much as I love the iPhone, I can't argue with the fact it's pretty hopeless at the 'phone' part. She's gotten her wish list of Android phones down to 3 different models, and the Evo 3D is the newest one.
You're better off getting her the HTC sensation, if she doesn't want the galaxy s2.

Choc

Banned
Gazunta said:
Awesome guys, thanks very much for the feedback. The only reason the 3D Evo is on the list is that it's the 'newest'. The Incredible S and...some other HTC phone is also on the list. We're totally blind to how Android works (and I suspect it's going to come as a shock how clunky it feels compared to iOS)

Also: holy crap is it interesting to watch women choose technology products based on things we wouldn't even consider

based on the last spoilered comment, check out windows phone 7. Fucker the haters, the UI is very good.

Apps not so much but the UI if thats what matters is as good as IOS

DeathJr said:
You're better off getting her the HTC sensation, if she doesn't want the galaxy s2.
Sensation! That's the one! Not the Incredible... Don't get the Incredible.

But the Galaxy S2 is currently the best, unless the large screen turns you off.

EatChildren

Jintor said:
what do you mean by interactivity in this instance?

Using a peripheral to navigate 3D space.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
MOBILE phone users will be able to hang up on expensive charges when calling 1800 and 1300 numbers under new changes announced by the communications regulator today.

ACMA said it planned to update the country's telephone numbering plan so that calls from mobiles to 1800 numbers will be free.

*clap clap*

Omikron

Choc said:
based on the last spoilered comment, check out windows phone 7. Fucker the haters, the UI is very good.

Apps not so much but the UI if thats what matters is as good as IOS

Developing apps for WP7 would be rather easy for me however. ;)

Omi said:
Developing apps for WP7 would be rather easy for me however. ;)
There's gotta be a market there if you get in early enough...

DeathJr said:
Yeah, but HTC's sense UI is unmatched.
I never really cared for it. Seemed like a lot of unnecessary fluff to me. Not to mention it has security holes you can fly a C2 through. Hell you can fly an Antonov through them...

Yagharek

WP7 has a great UI. Ive only used limited bits of android and iOS, but wp7 to me feels a hell of a lot more intuitive. Even along the lines of sony's xmb, though not as "logical".

But I dont jump in for all the smartphone app type crap so I cant comment on whether it stands up to the other phones well in that regard.

About the only app Ive downloaded is the ESPN live scores one for EPL and cricket.

The big difference with WP7 over Android/iOS is that Android/iOS are very app-focused. You want mail? Open the mail app. Want Twitter? Open the Twitter app.

WP7 is data-centric. In WP7 if you want to see communications with someone you go to that person and see mail, Tweets, Facebook updates, SMSes and so on.

Haven't used Sense since Android 1.6 so I suppose it could have improved since then. I still think I'd prefer vanilla Android which is why the Nexus Prime appeals to me.

Gazunta

Choc yeah she really liked her friend's WP7 but she's leaning towards Android because she's interested in having a phone that's integrated with all her Google services.

I'll definitely point her towards the Samsung Galaxy. I suggested Motorola but the website put her off it.

Omikron

codswallop said:
There's gotta be a market there if you get in early enough...

Maybe, the market doesn't seem huge and I would need to read up on the loop hole jumping no doubt Microsoft make you do. :p

Also, listening to the Ricky Gervais show at work is a bad idea, I am sitting here trying to code with headphones on, pissing myself.

Choc

Banned
Omi said:
Maybe, the market doesn't seem huge and I would need to read up on the loop hole jumping no doubt Microsoft make you do. :p

Also, listening to the Ricky Gervais show at work is a bad idea, I am sitting here trying to code with headphones on, pissing myself.

i am a registered win developer omi for wp7

its a pain in the fucking arse compared to IOS. You have to prove who you are to GeoTrust before you get access to teh marketplace. Also to sell apps on the marketplace you have to register with the US Inland Revenue as a foreign company because the fuckwits won't set up in Australia and UK like Apple did.

jambo

So I caved, bought RAGE at EB for $69.

Couldn't put up with waiting for ozgameshop to ship and my Steam download speeds have been shithosue lately, like 350 KB/sec max, so dowloading 20+ GB would have taken forever.

Gazunta said:
Choc yeah she really liked her friend's WP7 but she's leaning towards Android because she's interested in having a phone that's integrated with all her Google services.

I'll definitely point her towards the Samsung Galaxy. I suggested Motorola but the website put her off it.

Is mrs Gazunta's new googophone going to stay on optus?

Mrs Pwned is getting her 4S through Telstra.

jambo said:
So I caved, bought RAGE at EB for $69.

Couldn't put up with waiting for ozgameshop to ship and my Steam download speeds have been shithosue lately, like 350 KB/sec max, so dowloading 20+ GB would have taken forever.

that's the way to protect retail- ship games that need multiple DVD's.

obligatory ClivePwned "Rage is good" comment.

Agyar

Gazunta said:

What's wrong with the phone part of the iPhone exactly? Contacts syncing with Google/iCloud/address books on Windows or Mac, you press the buttons and dial numbers, I can hear people on the other end and they can hear me (on Telstra) and Visual Voicemail is getting wider availability here (finally). Seems fine to me, what am I missing out on?

CryptiK

Officeworks WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER...

I ordered a desk last friday and it came in today I go down there(taking the day off so I could pick it up and get it sorted) wait 20mins for service then wait another 15 for them to learn how to do their stupid fucking trailer loan I get out the back and the fucking desk is snapped in half... I get no apology just a blank stare from the sales guy didnt even get offered the free delivery after all their bullshit.

LEARN TO RETAIL.

And people say they are better at service than Harveys /RANT

Choc

Banned
CryptiK said:
Officeworks WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER...

I ordered a desk last friday and it came in today I go down there(taking the day off so I could pick it up and get it sorted) wait 20mins for service then wait another 15 for them to learn how to do their stupid fucking trailer loan I get out the back and the fucking desk is snapped in half... I get no apology just a blank stare from the sales guy didnt even get offered the free delivery after all their bullshit.

LEARN TO RETAIL.

And people say they are better at service than Harveys /RANT

how did they not notice it was broken before you got there? :|

also OWorks is owned by harveys

Gazunta

Clive: It depends entirely on what Telstra set their 4S prices at and who can get me my phones the quickest.

Agyar: She misses calls, drops calls, and suffers not being able to make calls like crazy. I never use the phone part so can't say if it's her phone or the network. I'm thinking of moving to Telstra just to be sure.

Damn, you guys have been super helpful today, thanks a lot.

Top Bottom