• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

midonnay said:
I have no landline....problem solved :D

now if there was a way to get rid of doorknockers....

When I see them coming up the street, close the blinds, lock up the house and turn off the lights, or go have a long shower with the fan on.

Or, if they see me I tell them "I'm sorry sir my parents have gone shopping" and look as little as possible. I could easily pass for 16, and with that they can't ask me to sign anything.

midonnay

commanderdeek said:
Install a telecom.

this stupid house.....

has no peep hole and the house is built in such a way that it is impossible to see who is at the front door without going to the second floor and looking out the toilet window >_<

<----- going to get murdered one day

Salazar

This lecture explores some of the problems we face when we try to come to terms with violent crimes committed by members of underprivileged communities. It will do so using the Mount Rennie Outrage as a case study: a gang rape committed in 1886 by a group of unemployed Sydney youths, some of whom were later executed for the crime.

The problems raised by the Mount Rennie Outrage are partly political in nature, caused by the differing views one might take about the degree of culpability of the perpetrators and the community in which they were raised. This was certainly illustrated by contemporary debate about the incident, which was polarised between representations of the accused as ‘vile villains’ and ‘poor dear boys’. Anyone interested in a reasoned debate about this incident today, however, faces problems of poetics as well as politics. We come up against difficulties of form and representation, in other words, whenever we try to discuss an irrational event through a mode of language based on logical argument and rationality. In this lecture, Melissa Bellanta presents her attempts to work through some of these problems when writing about the Mount Rennie Outrage, aiming to incite reflection on the issues they raise.

I am definitely going to be in the audience. Some entertainingly motherfucking hostile clever questions are going to be asked, I can tell.

Deeku

Rezbit said:
The worst doorknockers are Telstra, probably visit once a year like some jilted lover begging to take them back.
I live in a housing complex thingy, which is heaven for doorknockers, so I get bugged probably once a month about whether I want to change my gas bill. I also have to deal with random possibly fake charity people and kids during Halloween - kids being the worst because they don't understand that I don't want to answer the door:lol

Yeah, I'm a total meanie!

Gazunta

I usually play along with telemarketers for a minute and then act like someone is breaking into the house and I start screaming for help before hanging up.

They usually stay on script while I'm being strangled.

Clipper

The only 'door knockers' I get are the occasional Jehovah's Witness buzzing my intercom asking if I want to read their pamphlets, which I can deal with by just asking them to put them in the letter box for me. This is why I love renting in an apartment building with no access to the individual apartments except by intercom.

Yagharek

Clipper said:
The only 'door knockers' I get are the occasional Jehovah's Witness buzzing my intercom asking if I want to read their pamphlets, which I can deal with by just asking them to put them in the letter box for me. This is why I love renting in an apartment building with no access to the individual apartments except by intercom.

I love religious doorknockers. Its a great opportunity to hone debating skills. My average discussion time with them is about 90 minutes. Their tone dictates to me which points I bring up. A hostile tone will prompt discussion on holography theory and loop quantum gravity. A friendly tone will lead to discussion of philosophy of religion.

legend166

DeathJr said:
I hate being home all afternoon. The stupid landline keeps on ringing every 10 minutes with telemarketers.

"Good day sir, are you the owner of this connection. Would you like a special plan to call overseas at very cheap rates."

There's a joke to be made here.

Deeku

There need to be the same number of green balls in order to infect the red balls. And you need to do it with the least possible spawns.

Pretty neat little puzzlely game. Only thing I'd complain about is having to wait for the stack of balls to meet eachother, or is there some way to speed that up? Also lack of a pause menu to quick restart.

Gazunta

That's actually a cute little puzzler, Kritz.

Now make an iOS version

It's like an RTS that you can only play for 2 seconds at the start of the level and then just watch it for five minutes.

midonnay

commanderdeek said:
Only thing I'd complain about is having to wait for the stack of balls to meet eachother, or is there some way to speed that up?

it made me think about how the Andromeda galaxy is going to collide with the milky way galaxy....one day >_>

Gazunta

What could help is being able to drag the green balls around slightly, the amount you can drag them would change based on how many balls are in a clump. That would give me something to do after the initial spawn frenzy at the start.

Card Boy

Banned
ClivePwned said:
just don't answer the door.

my work here is done

A better solution is to put a sticker on your door or doorbell saying no salespeople/hawkers/god botherers allowed. I got a sticker for free from my electricity company. Having being bothered since, only people who ring/knock on the door/bell now are people i know.

Yagharek

Guys, a thread of mine is getting buried on Gaming, so I'll ask once here in case someone I trust can steer me in the right direction.

Bomberman on DS.

There is Bomberman Land Touch 1 and 2, and Bomberman Story. Which one would you get? I've looked at reviews and the first two are rated equal and Story hasnt got any reviews due a limited print run. Any advice would be most welcome :)

Shaneus

Fucking JB not breaking street date on Forza 4.

Damn right I'm pissed.

No wonder B&M game sales are going down the plughole with attitudes like that. They should be doing more to woo us in there, not turn us away.

/CHOC RAGE

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I made a pasta bake lastnight it took so many hours to be ready that i didnt get to eat it

eating it now

OHGOD ITS SO GOOD :O

Deeku

RandomVince said:
Guys, a thread of mine is getting buried on Gaming, so I'll ask once here in case someone I trust can steer me in the right direction.

Bomberman on DS.

There is Bomberman Land Touch 1 and 2, and Bomberman Story. Which one would you get? I've looked at reviews and the first two are rated equal and Story hasnt got any reviews due a limited print run. Any advice would be most welcome :)
Are you just after a classic Bomberman experience? Try looking for the original Bomberman DS game, I remember that being alright. The newer ones sound a bit gimmicky.

Yagharek

commanderdeek said:
Are you just after a classic Bomberman experience? Try looking for the original Bomberman DS game, I remember that being alright. The newer ones sound a bit gimmicky.

All of them (Bomberman DS, BL Touch 1, BL Touch 2 and Bomberman Story) come with multiplayer mode. I was kind of hoping for one with a Bomberman 64 style adventure mode for something different as well as the multi mode.

Unless of course theyre all duds, in which case Ill just stick with the multiplayer one on DSiWare I already have.

Deeku

RandomVince said:
All of them (Bomberman DS, BL Touch 1, BL Touch 2 and Bomberman Story) come with multiplayer mode. I was kind of hoping for one with a Bomberman 64 style adventure mode for something different as well as the multi mode.

Unless of course theyre all duds, in which case Ill just stick with the multiplayer one on DSiWare I already have.
Yeah I don't know, I'm not exactly a Bomberman expert. Maybe just get the newest iteration of the game. Bomberman 2 DS has like a space mech theme which looks kinda funky.

Kritz

Banned
Back. A lot more people tried my game than I thought. Thanks, duders.

I kind of didn't post any instructions, sorry. At the time I made the post I had been coding inside the computer lab for about six hours straight trying to get the levels / menus / scoring sytem working. Menus required a whole lot of code dependency rewriting, and on top of all that I had to fucking run the game every single time I made a change and beat it to make sure the stuff actually worked. Believe me, the thought of making this game faster / have more user control totally occurred to me every single time I compiled. But, y'know, time and resources and money and... okay, maybe not money.

I think people got the instructions pretty well. You spawn green balls, if you have equal amount of green balls as a red ball cluster, you'll take over the cluster and can then take over even more balls.

You can also take over single red balls by clicking them, which doesn't count as a spawn, but also isn't a feature that any of the levels take advantage of except for the first.

Before I submit it I'll try and add a quick restart button to just auto-fail you, and maybe a pause / return to menu button, but that might require way more rewriting than I want to do at the moment. This shit's due tomorrow.

In part I'm really proud that my game is at the least kind of interesting, considering that during this course, we had 12 weeks to code an engine and 1 week to actually make the game. Conversely, last semester we had 5 weeks of coding various clones of games (pong, breakout, pacman, 1942) and then 6 weeks of going nuts to make our own thing. I have the feeling that if I were given the time to actually make another game with a decent timeframe, I could make something really cool.

The thought has occurred to me that I could rewrite this game in objective C and put it on the iOS market, assuming I added some variety and cute graphics. I doubt it'd do very well because phone markets already have such a flood of physics based puzzle games, I don't think any attempt I make would be enough. I think I also have to not force myself to learn any more languages. I'll be learning some C next year and maybe it'll be enough. Maybe not.

An interesting note is that next year I think I'll be in a team of people making games. It'd be a great learning experience, but I can already predict that we'll go way in over our heads because suddenly everyone thinks "WE'VE TRIPLED OUR MANPOWER WE CAN TRIPLE OUR GAME'S AMBITIONS" or something.

Sorry, I'm rambling more than usual.

I am going to drink now.

Yagharek

commanderdeek said:
Yeah I don't know, I'm not exactly a Bomberman expert. Maybe just get the newest iteration of the game. Bomberman 2 DS has like a space mech theme which looks kinda funky.

Oh no, another one?!

Bomberman Land Touch 1 and 2
Bomberman 1 and 2 (google tells me 2 is like a Megaman Network game which I have NFI about)
Bomberman Blitz
Bomberman Story

I'm getting more and more confused!

Choc

Banned
*puts his forza 4 disc in the xbox 360*

tumblr_ljmegzsjT81qigno9o1_500.gif

midonnay said:
I have no landline....problem solved :D

now if there was a way to get rid of doorknockers....

DO NOT KNOCK stickers?

I have a garden gnome that abuses people who come near the front door. (come closer, closer...closer...closer....now FUCK OFF!)

Gazunta

Damn it if I wasn't saving I would have got Forza 4 a week ago.

Ah well

ANYWAY - Scribblenauts is on iOS! $5.50! BRB throwing my DS in the trash

Top Bottom