• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Clipper

Has anybody ever figured out how to get Amazon.com links to default to a particular seller? I'm not even sure it's possible, but I think it was the cause of shanshan's problems in ordering the PS3 deals yesterday.

The issue is that Amazon lists multiple sellers for the same product, but only the cheapest, in-stock seller will be listed on the product's page, with the possibility that the seller changes through time. This is a problem as you get stuff like the PS3 deals which will only ship to Australia if the seller is Amazon.com. Now you can add to cart from the seller you want using the "More buying choices" section, but that doesn't change the product page, so the link isn't enough to let people know how to buy stuff.

I'll probably send an e-mail off to Amazon as this has caused problems while I've been trying to help people several times before, but if somebody already has a solution, that'd be better :).

Gazunta said:
Did anyone else get their email from MS this morning with a free month of LIVE for being one of the first 10,000 in AU to join the rewards program? My email appeared in the 'bulk' folder of my Gmail.
Ayup. I got two emails!! The first one I got didn't have the code for the 1month of Live. Nice one, Microsoft!

I also got 20 Allards! Woooooooooo-eeeey. I'm currently deciding how I'm going to spend them all.

Edit: I'm just making light of the program. I'm not really acting snarky at free free stuff. Free free stuff is also good and appreciated.

Clipper

OK, the PSN thing seems to be not a PSN attack at all. This is for people that were using the same username/password on other services where those services were compromised. Somebody just got one of those lists and tried logging into a bunch of PSN accounts, getting a bunch of hits.

Nice to see Sony managed to nip it in the bud by detecting the logins, disabling the compromised accounts and forcing users to reset their passwords without affecting the rest of us.

Omi said:
Also, people on my twitter feed are whinging that the iOS5 updates breaks their phone. Never trust the first 'official' build of an OS. Ever.
That's why Microsoft released Server 2008 as "SP1" from the start. I don't think their plan worked.

Omi said:
lol.

Also, people on my twitter feed are whinging that the iOS5 updates breaks their phone. Never trust the first 'official' build of an OS. Ever.
Interesting considering people have been using the GM for a week with little problems. I was using the betas for like 2-3 months with little problems.

jambo

Maybe it's a good thing I forgot to update my iGear this morning, sounds like a lot of people are having issues!

codswallop said:
That's why Microsoft released Server 2008 as "SP1" from the start. I don't think their plan worked.

It was called SP1 because it was based on the NT 6.0 SP1 kernel

Jintor

Huh, I thought I still smelt of beer from last night, but then I sniffed closer and nope it's the neighbours smoking outside again.

jambo said:
It was called SP1 because it was based on the NT 6.0 SP1 kernel
Regardless, I still think it was a marketing ploy since so many wait for the inevitable SP1 before migrating to a new Microsoft product.

jambo

Choc said:
why the fuck is dead rising 2 off the record not on stema in australia?

Notice: Capcom requires that this game will not install or update when connecting from an IP address attributed to Germany.

They think we're Germans.

Kerrby

Banned
jambo said:
Notice: Capcom requires that this game will not install or update when connecting from an IP address attributed to Germany.

They think we're Germans.

What the fuck Capcom, that is quite possibly the most extreme scenario of region locking on PC I've ever seen.

Gazunta

I was going to make a snarky joke about Choc writing a blog about FIFA being a good game but then I read the post. That was really interesting, Choc. Great to see a football game being evaluated from a completely different angle.

Now do one about PES :)

I think half the problem with game journalists (and I was a prime example) was that most of them have no life experience besides videogames to use as criteria for judging a game. I'd love to see Clive write about games from a musician POV, or Bern write about RAGE and just talk about the geology for example.

Choc

Banned
Gazunta said:
I was going to make a snarky joke about Choc writing a blog about FIFA being a good game but then I read the post. That was really interesting, Choc. Great to see a football game being evaluated from a completely different angle.

Now do one about PES :)

I think half the problem with game journalists (and I was a prime example) was that most of them have no life experience besides videogames to use as criteria for judging a game. I'd love to see Clive write about games from a musician POV, or Bern write about RAGE and just talk about the geology for example.

absolutely. It gives me a whole new appreciation of football games being a referee.

Omikron

With the offside rule, is there any inherrant incorrectness and human error built into the engine?

Just like, say, FM, seems to work pretty well, despite the obvious annoyances. Or would the fact during MP, getting a 'lucky call' just piss too many people off?

Bernbaum

Gazunta said:
I'd love to see Clive write about games from a musician POV, or Bern write about RAGE and just talk about the geology for example.
Haven't played Rage but I've never seen rocks done right.

In a few games, they'll take what I assume is a doctored photo of an outcrop and then slap it on as a texture for a rocky sprite. They won't account for recessive lithotypes and I'll notice that arenites and shales will have the same competence, which isn't realistic. Other times, the game's environment artist will slap together a series of textures that are stratigraphically discordant, so you'll have angular unconformities bounding the same unit on the upper and lower contacts which is depositionally impossible. They'll also model sandstones as nice big round rocks which is usually more typical of the weathering profile of granites.

There are a slew of geomorphologic phenomena which are criminally underused in games - karst outcrop being the best opportunity most often missed.

Choc

Banned
in Pro Evo there is

in FIFA i don't believe there is which is interesting given that the referees in madden purposely make mistakes that you need to challenge for the game to correct.

its an interesting point.

one thing they manage to get right very well is the concept of inactive and active, pes 2011 struggled with taht

Gazunta said:
There was a reasonable article on Ars Technica not long ago about a racing game junkie making the leap into actually racing.

Omikron

Choc said:
in Pro Evo there is

in FIFA i don't believe there is which is interesting given that the referees in madden purposely make mistakes that you need to challenge for the game to correct.

its an interesting point.

one thing they manage to get right very well is the concept of inactive and active, pes 2011 struggled with taht

Could be a FIFA directive for their branded game you know. ;)

Choc

Banned
i'd love to read an editorial on gta from a cops perspective

edit: omi yeah. I also wonder if FIFA would let their officials be licensed. its clear as day in FIFA the referees are modelled off real world ones (bald headed bloke hands out more reds than any other aka Howard Webb) but no real names.

and if they had real names would they enforce no replays of referee decisions like they do in the grounds now

hrm

Gazunta

Bernbaum said:

In a few games, they'll take what I assume is a doctored photo of an outcrop and then slap it on as a texture for a rocky sprite. They won't account for recessive lithotypes and I'll notice that arenites and shales will have the same competence, which isn't realistic. Other times, the game's environment artist will slap together a series of textures that are stratigraphically discordant, so you'll have angular unconformities bounding the same unit on the upper and lower contacts which is depositionally impossible. They'll also model sandstones as nice big round rocks which is usually more typical of the weathering profile of granites.

There are a slew of geomorphologic phenomena which are criminally underused in games - karst outcrop being the best opportunity most often missed.
I have no idea what the fuck any of that meant but I'll be damned if it wasn't the most interesting thing I've read on this thread all week.

Omikron

Bernbaum said:

A mate of mine did geology at university. Reminds me why I no longer speak to him.

Gazunta said:
I think half the problem with game journalists (and I was a prime example) was that most of them have no life experience besides videogames to use as criteria for judging a game.

so Anders Breivik to write a Modern Warfare 3 review?

Jintor

Gazunta said:

Gaz, I know you have high expectations, but I'm not going all Phoenix Jones just to get a good Arkham City review in

Gazunta

Jintor said:
Gaz, I know you have high expectations, but I'm not going all Phoenix Jones just to get a good Arkham City review in
Why not take half a day to show Captain Australia a copy of the game and see what he thinks? That would be interesting as all hell.

Edit: God FUCKING damn it Clive, I was actually thinking something along those lines... :)

Top Bottom