• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Megadrive said:
This made me look at my steam community profile.

Fucking hell.

bbdtp.jpg

A couple of days before Half-Life 2. Woop!

Darklord

Banned
EVzxG.jpg

2003, bitches! I wish it counted time played when offline. 0.1 hours? I've finished deus ex!

Oh god, 8 years? I feel ancient now.

Had an account for Half Life 2, the pre-load was horrible down here, and then proceeded to forget my login details once I had finished the game.
Went 360 for The Orange Box since all my housemates played 360 and then it up on PC at the start of 2008 for my current Steam account. Currently 26 hours into DE3 and hacking everything in sight in Hengsha.

Omikron

reptilescorpio said:
Had an account for Half Life 2, the pre-load was horrible down here, and then proceeded to forget my login details once I had finished the game.
Went 360 for The Orange Box since all my housemates played 360 and then it up on PC at the start of 2008 for my current Steam account. Currently 26 hours into DE3 and hacking everything in sight in Hengsha.
sounds similar to me. hl2 account. then back on board with a new acct with orange box. no 360 bullshit tho. ;-)

also in hengsha in dues ex. going to do as many side missions as possible before doing story task. :p

Bernbaum

Back in Brisbane - the coffee is burnt, people move slower, and there are horsecarts clogging up traffic but goddamnit this is my hometown.

Yagharek

I've decided that I seem to have developed a nose for buggy, incomplete and half-arse games based on previews and teaser trailers.

Latest success story: Dead Island. Never saw what the fuss was with the overblown trailer response, game turned out to be a dog.

Next dud to be appraised when the TGS trailers hit.
edit: nevermind, it will be skyrim

Shaneus

RandomVince said:
Latest success story: Dead Island. Never saw what the fuss was with the overblown trailer response, game turned out to be a dog.
At least you can noclip your way through it if you like! Apparently the dev build was released both on Steam and the PC retail disc. Trololol.

Fogz

Started downloading an 800mb patch this morning for Dead Island so they must be fixing it already.

Probably still a buggy mess though ;)

Yagharek

Shaneus said:
At least you can noclip your way through it if you like! Apparently the dev build was released both on Steam and the PC retail disc. Trololol.

can you noclip your way to a refund if youre unlucky enough to have bought it?

edit: oh, right, the "dev build". Surprised obsidian or bethesda havent used that excuse before.

Choc

Banned
US reviewers loving driver

also

Xbox 360 US didnt come with UPLAY pass

good job ubisoft LOL

and jintor i finished it, game is so good. Maybe Goose is right with sleeper of the year comment (ignoring his stupid pun of course)

edit: Watched some dead island footage. If they fix it, it could be good

Bernbaum said:
Back in Brisbane - the coffee is burnt, people move slower, and there are horsecarts clogging up traffic but goddamnit this is my hometown.
Yeah. It sucks.

In other news, there's a coffee shop on Albert (between Mary and Margaret) that serves good coffee and as an added bonus, is staffed almost exclusively by pretty girls.

Fogz

I don't think (or hope) anyone went in expecting anything different. If it was any more then the $28 GMG were asking for it I wouldn't have bought it. With 1 good AusGAF game night it will be worth the price of admission for me.

Choc

Banned
cue internet rage save games from the build currently up does not work with the new build they are doing

Ubisoft fail

'Important notice for Driver: San Francisco Players
When you begin DRIVER: San Francisco, you are prompted with the Uplay Passport menu. The menu has 4 options: “Purchase Uplay PASSPORT,” “Activate my Uplay PASSPORT,” “Start my 2-Day Free Trial,” or “Remind Me Later”.

There are two ways to access these online features:

1. Select Start My 2-Day Free Trial, which will not expire, OR

2. Select Purchase Uplay Passport, which will be provided at no charge.

Either option will unlock the 11 multiplayer modes and the Film Director feature on console titles with Uplay Passport.

If players have any other issues please contact Ubisoft Customer Support at http://support.ubisoft.com.'

Bernbaum

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Yeah. It sucks.

In other news, there's a coffee shop on Albert (between Mary and Margaret) that serves good coffee and as an added bonus, is staffed almost exclusively by pretty girls.
*quits job and relocates*

By the way, does anyone know of any really good restaurants in Sydney, specifically, at or near the Rocks? My wife's birthday is coming up and we're likely to be in Sydney for it. I don't mind if it's a little pricier than the usual

Choc

Banned
By the way, does anyone know of any really good restaurants in Sydney, specifically, at or near the Rocks? My wife's birthday is coming up and we're likely to be in Sydney for it. I don't mind if it's a little pricier than the usual

Rockpool

but you need to book early, its neil perrys joint.

also at the opera house

Aria

you also need to book early, its Matt Morans joint.

They are pricey but the food is insanely good.

and then if you want the ultimate experience, and money is loose to an extent

Quay, Peter Gilmores joint at teh overseas passenger terminal (5 mins from rocks)

book early ;)

Bernbaum

Yes, Sydney dining is 'a little pricey' in the same way that being drawn and quartered is 'a little painful'.

VKS, gotten over the novelty of saying 'my wife' yet?

Fredescu

You could try the ones Choc listed, but there's a good chance they'll be booked out for the rest of the year already. These guys are pretty awesome: http://www.kobejones.com.au/rocks/the-rocks-teppanyaki. Check out the set menus on the last two pages of the menu.

Yeah. It sucks.

I used to know good coffee places in Brissie like the back of my hand. I knew a couple of places in Toowong that were good and there are a few on the south side that are good. I'm at a loss for inner city coffee though. Is Campos still around? It was pretty goddamn amazing. Pandemonium (or some similarly stupid name) in Paddington is pretty good too.

Shaneus

RandomVince said:
can you noclip your way to a refund if youre unlucky enough to have bought it?

edit: oh, right, the "dev build". Surprised obsidian or bethesda havent used that excuse before.
Nope, it genuinely is a dev build. A game that was merely buggy wouldn't bind a noclip function to the Y key on the keyboard.

Choc

Banned
Bernbaum said:
Yes, Sydney dining is 'a little pricey' in the same way that being drawn and quartered is 'a little painful'.

took me ages to get used to it bern, its really hard at first in a way, because it feels a bit weird :)

Choc

Banned
Shaneus said:
Nope, it genuinely is a dev build. A game that was merely buggy wouldn't bind a noclip function to the Y key on the keyboard.

is it wrong that i want this version of the game lol ? :D

jambo

My original account

3RzEk.jpg

it got banned on Internode servers so I got a new one and gave the old one to my housemate

The "new" account

y9RFQ.jpg

Annoyingly, the old account actually got unbanned as I'm mates with a few of the guys who run Games.On.Net, but my housemate had already bought a few games for it so :<

Bernbaum said:

Not yet, though it hasn't even been two months yet. I'm still occasionally introduce her to people as my girlfriend before I catch myself.

As for fine dining being exxy, yeah. It's her 30th, though, so I thought I'd do something extra nice.

Which reminds me, what's playing at the Opera House that night?

Shaneus

Choc said:
is it wrong that i want this version of the game lol ? :D
It's funny how many people are saying that now! If you can, look for some of the threads on Steam and here about it. Apparently there are even files included (not used) that are specifically compiled for X360 use and nothing else. Be great to have a copy of it on DVD just for posterity. Pretty sure this is the first time something this extensive has happened to such a highly-publicised game.

Deeku

Choc said:
Rockpool

but you need to book early, its neil perrys joint.

also at the opera house

Aria

you also need to book early, its Matt Morans joint.

They are pricey but the food is insanely good.

and then if you want the ultimate experience, and money is loose to an extent

Quay, Peter Gilmores joint at teh overseas passenger terminal (5 mins from rocks)

book early ;)
Ehh, I guess they are all the "must go" uber expensive fine dining restaurants but they are not that good imo. Especially Rockpool, not as good as it used to be. Only Quay really holds up being "insanely good".

I highly recommend Marque Restaurant. Not in the rocks, but it's my fav restaurant in Sydney by farrr!

Yagharek

Shaneus said:
It's funny how many people are saying that now! If you can, look for some of the threads on Steam and here about it. Apparently there are even files included (not used) that are specifically compiled for X360 use and nothing else. Be great to have a copy of it on DVD just for posterity. Pretty sure this is the first time something this extensive has happened to such a highly-publicised game.

What a clusterfuck. Reading the OT, sounds like the devs are a bunch of incompetent muppets.

And the last time something this bad happened was fallout 3 on ps3.

Jintor

Radiant Historia is somehow compelling but the battle system is really not enjoyable at all. I thought the positioning stuff would play a larger part but since I can't customise loadout really it's like I'm forced to play through one particular way.

Fogz

Jintor said:
Radiant Historia is somehow compelling but the battle system is really not enjoyable at all. I thought the positioning stuff would play a larger part but since I can't customise loadout really it's like I'm forced to play through one particular way.

I thought it got better later on when you get different moves and characters that did different things like traps and long combos

Yagharek

hamchan said:
So the "proper" version of Dead Island PC is still really broken? Glad I didn't buy it. Fallout with zombies indeed.

What's the bet they have the gall to release a self proclaimed "GOTY" edition that only crashes half as often?

Seems to be the pattern these days.

Jintor said:
What do you mean by loadout? There are characters later on that can really take advantage of the positioning, one is even practically game-breaking.

hamchan

Jintor said:

Need to reply and say the positioning stuff is a huge part of the battle system. Though yes, most battles are done by bunching the enemies all up and then hitting them all for massive damage.

Jintor

I'm only 11 hours in, so maybe that shit hasn't opened up yet. Or maybe I'm playing it wrong. I'm probably playing it wrong.

Either way I'm not really finding combat enjoyable though.

Choc

Banned
commanderdeek said:
Ehh, I guess they are all the "must go" uber expensive fine dining restaurants but they are not that good imo. Especially Rockpool, not as good as it used to be. Only Quay really holds up being "insanely good".

I highly recommend Marque Restaurant. Not in the rocks, but it's my fav restaurant in Sydney by farrr!

Marque is good, and also very expensive :)

he did ask for expensive :D

Shaneus

RandomVince said:
What's the bet they have the gall to release a self proclaimed "GOTY" edition that only crashes half as often?

Seems to be the pattern these days.
I'm not familiar with how buggy Bethesda's games have been (first hand, at least) but it seems to only be the case for open-world games (which Dead Island kind of is, isn't it?). Most games seem to be fine, but GTA4 for PC was crap, Fallout 3 was crap, DI.. crap. Not sure what others there were but perhaps it's harder to test with those sorts of games.

Though with DI, I doubt the problem was with testing, just final submission of the game.

Yagharek

Ive got a 100% strike rate of laughable bugs in bethesda games, all within the first couple of hours. Oblivion, KOTOR, Jade Empire, Fallout 3. Textures for faces not loading (so all you see is hovering teeth), falling through the ground, BSOD equivalents, bad general performance). I personally see zero appeal in the games and it baffles me why people persist with such blatant shit.

RandomVince said:
What a clusterfuck. Reading the OT, sounds like the devs are a bunch of incompetent muppets.

And the last time something this bad happened was fallout 3 on ps3.
Techland are shit. Played the Call of Juarez games?

Also fuck expensive restaurants. Would prefer a 8 dollar meal from Hi Sushi. Will pay 30 bucks for an insanely great steak but the costs of meals relative to cooking them yourselves is outrageous.

Aon

Jintor said:
I'm only 11 hours in, so maybe that shit hasn't opened up yet. Or maybe I'm playing it wrong. I'm probably playing it wrong.

Either way I'm not really finding combat enjoyable though.

Yeah, I ended up finding it too repetitive and that killed the otherwise sweet game for me at around 10 hours. Perhaps it would be more interesting if you had to move some enemies away from each other and bunch only certain kinds together, making it kinda more like a sliding block puzzle than the battle system it is.

elfinke

Bugger it - just when I thought Umart had dispatched my goods, it turns out the i5 2400 I ordered and paid for wasn't actually in stock, so now am 'swapping' to a 2500 (though no doubt 'swap' means pay the extra $16).

More annoying though it may mean a delay to the dispatch of goods, meaning it may not arrive until next week now.

Normally I buy all my PC stuff through PCCG or AusPC, but thought I'd give Umart a go this time around. What a nuisance.

(&#9583;°&#9633;°&#65289;&#9583;&#65077; &#9531;&#9473;&#9531;

(I've always wanted to post that guy).

Fredescu

RandomVince said:
Ive got a 100% strike rate of laughable bugs in bethesda games, all within the first couple of hours. Oblivion, KOTOR, Jade Empire, Fallout 3.
Only 50% of those are Bethesda games!

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Techland are shit. Played the Call of Juarez games?
Wait... it's by them? What's with all the hype then? Just because of that trailer?

Also fuck expensive restaurants. Would prefer a 8 dollar meal from Hi Sushi. Will pay 30 bucks for an insanely great steak but the costs of meals relative to cooking them yourselves is outrageous.
Agreed, though some things are pretty expensive to begin with (like chicken and a good cut of beef) and don't get much cheaper by having them at home.

Can anyone tell me what some decent job-hunting websites are? Both IT and not, I'm just curious to see what's out there, how much I'm worth and what sorts of education I should be doing. Not looking at changing jobs, but my current job role *may* be changing soon so it always pays to be on the lookout, I guess.

Yagharek

Fredescu said:
Only 50% of those are Bethesda games!

Umm, so they are. But I also avoid Bioware and Obsidian as well, for the same reason. :p

What bugs (!) me is that this gen, people have gone from tolerating frequent but minor bugs, to tolerating critical, game-killing bugs and now you see people even defending such shoddy practices with a "wait for the patch" line.

I mean, fair enough if the developer is someone like Troika who go under, but Bethesda/Bioware should know better by now. Or if not by now, never.

Shaneus said:
Wait... it's by them? What's with all the hype then? Just because of that trailer?

Entirely due to the trailer. The past 5 years has bred a generation of suckers for hype.

Top Bottom