• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Bernbaum

elfinke said:
Bugger it - just when I thought Umart had dispatched my goods, it turns out the i5 2400 I ordered and paid for wasn't actually in stock, so now am 'swapping' to a 2500 (though no doubt 'swap' means pay the extra $16).

More annoying though it may mean a delay to the dispatch of goods, meaning it may not arrive until next week now.

Normally I buy all my PC stuff through PCCG or AusPC, but thought I'd give Umart a go this time around. What a nuisance.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

(I've always wanted to post that guy).
Umart is great for those that can go in and pick stuff up, but ordering a delivery from them is a festival of buttpoop.

Shaneus

RandomVince said:
Umm, so they are. But I also avoid Bioware and Obsidian as well, for the same reason. :p

What bugs (!) me is that this gen, people have gone from tolerating frequent but minor bugs, to tolerating critical, game-killing bugs and now you see people even defending such shoddy practices with a "wait for the patch" line.

I mean, fair enough if the developer is someone like Troika who go under, but Bethesda/Bioware should know better by now. Or if not by now, never.
Yeah, that's frustrated me ever since consoles started going online, pretty much. Obviously patches have been happening for PC games for decades, but very rarely to fix critical bugs, just little niggles or whatever. Nowadays it's par for the course (just one look at my Steam download queue is testament to to that)... not to mention every time I fire up a console game I haven't played for 6 months will almost always have something that needs to be downloaded.

reptilescorpio said:
Techland are shit. Played the Call of Juarez games?

Also fuck expensive restaurants. Would prefer a 8 dollar meal from Hi Sushi. Will pay 30 bucks for an insanely great steak but the costs of meals relative to cooking them yourselves is outrageous.
You'll never do as good a job. You lack the proper tools and knowledge. I've had steak that was so tender, it melted like butter in your mouth. I couldn't cook it that good in a million years. Cost $150. Worth. Every. Penny.

But yeah, nine times out of ten, you're right. When you pay like $35 for a steak that was just OK, you feel a bit ripped off.

elfinke

Bernbaum said:
Umart is great for those that can go in and pick stuff up, but ordering a delivery from them is a festival of buttpoop.

:(

So I'm discovering. No doubt the gear would be here already had I ordered from PCCG. Oh well.

elfinke said:
Bugger it - just when I thought Umart had dispatched my goods, it turns out the i5 2400 I ordered and paid for wasn't actually in stock, so now am 'swapping' to a 2500 (though no doubt 'swap' means pay the extra $16).

More annoying though it may mean a delay to the dispatch of goods, meaning it may not arrive until next week now.

Normally I buy all my PC stuff through PCCG or AusPC, but thought I'd give Umart a go this time around. What a nuisance.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

(I've always wanted to post that guy).
Best to go for the 2500k and overclock to 4ghz with stock cooler.

Also Dead Island was announced back in 2005 or something stupid. The friggin trailer wasnt even made by them!

Shaneus

RandomVince said:
Entirely due to the trailer. The past 5 years has bred a generation of suckers for hype.
Fuck that then. I generally don't watch trailers for games I don't have some general interest in, unless the IP is something I've been following or other people have. Dead Island solidifies that stance from here on in, I think.

Fredescu

reptilescorpio said:
Also fuck expensive restaurants. Would prefer a 8 dollar meal from Hi Sushi. Will pay 30 bucks for an insanely great steak but the costs of meals relative to cooking them yourselves is outrageous.
So wrong.

jambo

reptilescorpio said:

You are incorrect sir.

Yagharek

Shaneus said:
Yeah, that's frustrated me ever since consoles started going online, pretty much. Obviously patches have been happening for PC games for decades, but very rarely to fix critical bugs, just little niggles or whatever. Nowadays it's par for the course (just one look at my Steam download queue is testament to to that)... not to mention every time I fire up a console game I haven't played for 6 months will almost always have something that needs to be downloaded.

Exactly this.

I can think of three good examples of large scale games in recent years that had very very few bugs (although no doubt there would be a couple in there, but they arent frequent). Orange Box, Twilight Princess, Batman Arkham Asylum. Two by developers who take a "when its done" approach, one by a developer that has seemingly come from obscurity to god-tier.

I look at those games, with open worlds, large amounts of detail, variety in what the player can do and in playing all three for dozens and dozens of hours I have not encountered one single bug that has either impeded my progress or made me even notice it. Hell, I could add more games: RE4, Metal Gear Solid 3, Halo 1/2/3/Reach, GTA3/Vice City, Mario Galaxies, Portal 2, etc etc etc. Not one single bug.

Yet I cant go ten minutes in Fallout 3 or Oblivion, or Assassins Creed, or KOTOR or Fable 2 and not see a flying horse embed itself in a mountain, someone walk backwards up a wall, get stuck in the ground or have a conversation with hovering teeth.

I mean this with all sincerity: Call of Duty is the fucking Mona Lisa or an engineering marvel like the Great Wall of China compared to the buggy pieces of shit that all manage to get GOTY editions this gen.

Shaneus said:
Fuck that then. I generally don't watch trailers for games I don't have some general interest in, unless the IP is something I've been following or other people have. Dead Island solidifies that stance from here on in, I think.

Getting off the hype train is the best thing to do. There are so many great games out there from quality developers that don't need the hype to sell. Nintendo, Valve, Bungie, Blizzard, Platinum Games, Rocksteady, parts of Capcom and Konami - there are some developers that do polish their games and don't even need a trailer to justify consideration of their games.

When someone hypes their game solely based on a trailer trying to tug at the heartstrings of emotionally stunted manchildren who think Mass Effect is the literary equivalent of Dostoevsky, it's best to steer clear.

Fredescu

RandomVince said:
I look at those games, with open worlds
You didn't list any "open world" games. Those are all fairly linear.

Choc said:
summit is more expensive i think, its top of Australia square not sure if it revolves around?
It definitely revolves.

http://www.summitrestaurant.com.au/about/aboutthesummit/tabid/2975/language/en-AU/Default.aspx
"The Summit offers a truly unique dining experience. Revolving 47 floors high above the city in Harry Seidler's famous Australia Square, this venue is nothing short of breathtaking."

elfinke

reptilescorpio said:
Best to go for the 2500k and overclock to 4ghz with stock cooler.

Long story, but I'm not buying an all new PC - just the core innards (RAM/mobo/CPU/GPU plus a new PSU) for the smallest amount of dollars as possible, so when a real PC upgrade occurs next year I can shoehorn these bits into a HTPC and not regret having spent much money on them. So 2500k is out of the question this time around atleast :)

Shaneus

It might have been lost in my flurry of posts, but can anyone point me in the direction of decent job websites? IT-centric or otherwise, just curious about my worth and what I can do to further my education to increase my employability...ness.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I think when I ever get a girlfriend, Instead of saying see you tomorrow i will say see you on the morrow!

I've clearly been reading a little too much song of ice and fire.

My lower back is starting to tense up for some reason, Boo to you back. However the new DT album has certainly grown on me, More so than the Opeth album.

Fredescu

reptilescorpio said:
Relative. If I can make a very enjoyable dinner for $10 i expect a $40 dollar version of the meal to be 4 times better.
If you're ordering things you've made at home before, you're doing it wrong.

jambo

reptilescorpio said:
Relative. If I can make a very enjoyable dinner for $10 i expect a $40 dollar version of the meal to be 4 times better.

Why would you order stuff you can make at home?

And you're not just paying for the food, there's also the service and the ambiance.

Yagharek

evlcookie said:
I think when I ever get a girlfriend, Instead of saying see you tomorrow i will say see you on the morrow!

I've clearly been reading a little too much song of ice and fire.

I hope thats the only thing you learn from ASOIAF. Although spiced wine sounds good.
Heh, the meat and mead ceremony you get in the series (ie every fucking visitor to anywhere gets meat and mead, if not killed) is almost like the repeat poetry in the Iliad/Odyssey. Great stuff.

And whats this about new DT? I thought they packed it up?

Fredescu said:
You didn't list any "open world" games. Those are all fairly linear.

And by definition, games like Fallout/Oblivion are not games if you can't play them for all their critical bugs.

This question has been buried. I need a new monitor. Dell is selling them cheap ATM and I'd like an IPS if the performance for games is decent.
Dell 2412M for games? Yes or no.

Love you long time for the help.

Fredescu

fappenmeister said:
This question has been buried. I need a new monitor. Dell is selling them cheap ATM and I'd like an IPS if the performance for games is decent.

I don't know about that specific monitor, but $279 for a 1920x1200 24" IPS? Hell yes!

Fredescu said:
If you're ordering things you've made at home before, you're doing it wrong.
Im a man who knows his tastes. Cant think of much that I would order in a restaurant that I wouldnt make at home. Would pay out the nose for some nice yabbies though since we cant get them back home now we have been on the water pipeline for nearly ten years

RandomVince said:
Umm, so they are. But I also avoid Bioware and Obsidian as well, for the same reason. :p

What bugs (!) me is that this gen, people have gone from tolerating frequent but minor bugs, to tolerating critical, game-killing bugs and now you see people even defending such shoddy practices with a "wait for the patch" line.

I mean, fair enough if the developer is someone like Troika who go under, but Bethesda/Bioware should know better by now. Or if not by now, never.

Entirely due to the trailer. The past 5 years has bred a generation of suckers for hype.
You "avoid" games by Bethesda and Bioware just because of a few glitches (which get fixed anyway)?

I pity the fool!

jambo

fappenmeister said:

If you don't need wide gamut colors for photo's and editing and such, get the 2412M!

reptilescorpio said:
Im a man who knows his tastes. Cant think of much that I would order in a restaurant that I wouldnt make at home.

hUur4.jpg

"I'll have the toast... white bread... just butter... and a glass of water."

Yagharek

DeathJr said:
You "avoid" games by Bethesda and Bioware just because of a few glitches (which get fixed anyway)?

I pity the fool!

4 from 4 games that were unplayable = taken back to the shops within a week. I have more than enough good and working games to keep me busy instead of persisting with scraps.

Aon

RandomVince said:
And by definition, games like Fallout/Oblivion are not games if you can't play them for all their critical bugs.

Although bugs are obviously a hugely subjective thing depending on what machine//software version you're playing with, I can't help but feel it's hyperbole to refer to either of these games as unplayable. In mine and many others experience, they can be played, despite the frequent glitches and bugs. It's totally alright for you to feel those bugs make the experience not worthwhile for you, but I feel it is unfair to call them unplayable. As many people clearly have played them.

Something like Daikatana, where you literally could not progress past the first level on a majority of systems might approach your hyperbole.

jambo

Oh cool, so there'll be another DT album full of long, boring, overly aggressive guitar solos and other people's music.

Shaneus

jambo said:
http://i.imgur.com/hUur4.jpg[IMG]

"I'll have the toast... white bread... just butter... and a glass of water."[/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/01BpN.jpg
"I'll have some toasted white bread please."
"Bring me four fried chickens and a Coke."

Fredescu

reptilescorpio said:
Im a man who knows his tastes. Cant think of much that I would order in a restaurant that I wouldnt make at home.
I'd say you're a man unaware of the breadth of tastes available to you. It's the equivalent of only ever playing Call of Duty "because that's what you like" when there's such a broad pallet of gaming available to you in other areas that it really can't be said that "you know what you like" in any meaningful way.

Fredescu

DeathJr said:
That's expensive, I just picked up a 27" view sonic LED monitor 1080P for $350.
For a TN panel. The Dell in question is an IPS panel, which is a more expensive panel, but offers better viewing angles and therefore better colour uniformity.

Echoplx

DeathJr said:
That's expensive, I just picked up a 27" view sonic LED monitor 1080P for $350. 24" ones go for 200 bucks or so.

That's because it's a TN panel not an IPS, some people like quality ;)

Deeku

Choc said:
Marque is good, and also very expensive :)

he did ask for expensive :D
heh, they all add up to be about the same in the end.

Given the occasion, vks, you should go for a place with a nice view - so one of the ones choc has suggested. Having a nice view makes the night extra special! Oh and if you do book one of choc's suggestions, make sure you tell them it's a special occasion and ask for a good table:)

Fredescu said:
I'd say you're a man unaware of the breadth of tastes available to you. It's the equivalent of only ever playing Call of Duty "because that's what you like" when there's such a broad pallet of gaming available to you in other areas that it really can't be said that "you know what you like" in any meaningful way.
Ive tasted lots of food and still go out a bit. I know which places are worth the price and those which dont line up valuewise for me. I still like lots of asian food but most asian places are much much cheaper than those restaurants that were brought up in this thread. Foods that I havent been able to eat regularly yet I would prefer to try more overseas rather than keep eating it here where it is an interpretation rather than the actually taste.

Shaneus would be aware of Parkers steakhouse in Geelong. Great steak but I havent been in a few years.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Shaneus would be aware of Parkers steakhouse in Geelong. Great steak but I havent been in a few years.
They're closing, broseph. I haven't been there but I've heard great things about it.

Fredescu

reptilescorpio said:
Foods that I havent been able to eat regularly yet I would prefer to try more overseas rather than keep eating it here where it is an interpretation rather than the actually taste.
Food has come a long way from just being the traiditional cuisine from various countries.

HolyCheck said:
I want one!

Top Bottom