• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Stackboy said:
That's weird, none of my PS3 DLC codes worked. When I went to the online store, there wasn't any catwoman DLC to buy if you bought second hand either. I just assumed it was because the street date was broken.

Sorry I should have mentioned I'm playing 360 version. I think someone else here has had issues with the PS3 codes.

I think my issue is widespread, I saw Nemesis mention on Twitter that he can't redeem his Robin code either (on 360). Probably not going to be up til Wednesday I guess.

Bernbaum

Forza Motorsport 4 – It’s terrific.

First of all, it’s the racing sim for everyone. The game is very accessible from the moment the disc is put in and the guided career mode is a smart little way of drawing players into the game. The game is exactly what you want to make it, and it’s super easy to change it to how you want it to play. Don’t like the guided car-specific career mode? No worries, here’s a grid showing every event in the game (of which there are squillions). Find the controls a bit too easy or too hard? A quick and easy to find menu lets the player nerf the game to all hell or turn it into the ultimate sim.

Car customisation is treated with the same attitude. In racing sims like Forza/GT, I have little technical knowledge of what the upgrades I’m making to my car actually are and how they affect performance – all I want to do is make the HP number get bigger. I’ll usually race for cash, and then upgrade everything piecemeal until I’ve met the entry conditions for a race/event. Forza makes that super easy with it’s ‘auto-upgrade’ mode which does the thinking for you. Again, a higher level of granularity within car customisation is allowed for more serious players if they want it

The interface and elegantly designed career mode defines the game.

Because of that design, you’ll spend most of your time doing what matters most – racing. Switch your brain off, mash the A button to zip through the menus, and BAM, you’re on the starting grid before you know it. I haven’t touched Forza since FM2, but the same smooth yet gutsy racing experience is as refined as ever. I’m playing with a gamepad (my wheel is broken) but somehow I feel like I have a better control over my vehicle than in previous entries. Everything runs at a silky smooth framerate with no noticeable hitches in the action. There’s bound to be myriad number of technical improvements that faithful fans of the series are sure to notice, but for me all I care is that my car goes fast when I push the accelerator and that it’s fun to overtake other racers. Yay Forza.

Then of course there are the custom paint jobs and online trading of vehicles which is just a part of the FM4 experience for some as is the pure racing. Within my first hour of racing, I bought the closest equivalent model of Ford Focus to my real-life ride, gave it the same white paint and five-spoke rims and went about affixing my QLD license plates from the game’s custom decals. Sweet, I can drive my real car in the game!

I would urge anyone who automatically overlooks the sim genre to give Forza a serious look. The beautiful thing about the game is that it disguises its high level of technicality under a cleverly put together interface that satisfies both the diehard the casual players. You might not think you like cars and motorsport, but after a few hours with Forza 4, you will.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Agyar said:
Twitter works perfectly for me in iOS5 and did previously too.

It worked perfectly for me as well on my 3GS and iOS4. I just can't seem to get any sort of notification on iPhone 4 and iOS5.

@Squirrel. For telling strangers about my pointless life, hot girls, stupid things!

Bernbaum

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Ever get the feeling that you are a niche of one? I’m replaying Spirit Tracks and it’s my second favourite Zelda, but everyone else seems to hate it.
With the exception of that Temple you keep returning to, I fucking loved Phantom Hourglass.

Spirit Tracks is sitting high up on my pile of unplayed DS games, looking at me as I sleep, quietly judging me...

If Cookie's twitter is anything to go by, public transport in Melbourne is the fucking worst.

I actually use twitter mostly to amuse myself. Follow some funny people and you have some great stuff to read whilst laying cable.

Gazunta

Still waiting for my mobile numbers to port over to Telstra.

Half an hour phone call this morning and I was assured at the end it's all sorted now.

Still nothing.

Not happy.

BanShunsaku said:
If Cookie's twitter is anything to go by, public transport in Melbourne is the fucking worst.

I actually use twitter mostly to amuse myself. Follow some funny people and you have some great stuff to read whilst laying cable.
You twitter while doing that? Does that not affect your *ahem* performance? I find I need to focus my attention. Also, I thought the term referred to pipe rather than cable.

You twitter while doing that? Does that not affect your *ahem* performance? I find I need to focus my attention. Also, I thought the term referred to pipe rather than cable.

Two different things, my friend.

Unless you're into some weird German stuff.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
So what are the benefits of Twitter, exactly? It seems rather pointless to me.

What are your interests? What comedians do you enjoy? What news do you like to hear about?

I use my twitter to follow Essendon players and staff, and the team, SC2 players and staff, aswell as various comedians and bands to keep me updated on any new projects or tours

Omikron

BanShunsaku said:

To be fair to cookie, he does ride a pretty fucked up line.

jambo

twittering whilst laying cable = twitter shitter

Choc

Banned
A supposed internal GameStop memo states that all customers purchasing used will be given a free code, which will be printed on their receipt following purchase. We've contacted both Warner Bros. and GameStop for additional information.

so whats the fucking point then WBIE?

Stackboy

Bernbaum said:
Forza Motorsport 4 – It’s terrific.

I agree. I'm no car nerd, but Forza 4 does everything I want it too. I can drive fast cars fast and it has a good amount of personality.

I kind of wish the street date for Batman wasn't broken, because now I have to juggle Forza and Batman.

hamchan

Rez said:
Who here has bet Smourgh and Ornstein? Yeah, that's right, I have.

Did you beat Smourgh first? I did, because I heard the Ornstein armour is awesome. Turns out my Havel armour is still much better than it.

codswallop said:
Check out Tweetdeck.
Omi said:
On droid, I use Plume for twitter.
Thanks guys. Downloaded and will evaluate over the next few days.

Omi said:
Sounds like stroyline content cut into a $15 DLC package...
Releasing long enough after the main game so it doesn't seem like they cut it out before release. More like a prototype level that they never had time to go back and flesh out properly. The main game didn't seem taken apart by not having it so I think it is fine. It is basically a What If segment.

Choc said:
so whats the fucking point then WBIE?
To hurt other stores who sell pre-owned? Or consumers on ebay? Also sounds like Gamestop are paying the $10 out of their own pockets aren't they?

Omikron

reptilescorpio said:
Releasing long enough after the main game so it doesn't seem like they cut it out before release. More like a prototype level that they never had time to go back and flesh out properly. The main game didn't seem taken apart by not having it so I think it is fine. It is basically a What If segment.

Apologist.

Yagharek

4 dlc codes is a bit much. I'm wondering/rationalising my irritation about this preorder crap. Might be my issue with it is my desire to collect and hold onto things.

Given most games are disposable products these days, do I do the Zen thing and just not care? Its all transient. I won't be able to play batman in five years but I won't be able to play 360 either since it won't work.

I'm going to assume Nintendo will keep respecting consumer choice, and the rest will be like short lived cabbage moths.

Omikron

RandomVince said:
4 dlc codes is a bit much. I'm wondering/rationalising my irritation about this preorder crap. Might be my issue with it is my desire to collect and hold onto things.

Given most games are disposable products these days, do I do the Zen thing and just not care? Its all transient. I won't be able to play batman in five years but I won't be able to play 360 either since it won't work.

I'm going to assume Nintendo will keep respecting consumer choice, and the rest will be like short lived cabbage moths.

Just give up on playing games on console. It is the only sane choice. Then you can just point and laugh while playing superior version of most games for cheaper. ;)

Omi said:
Just give up on playing games on console. It is the only sane choice. Then you can just point and laugh while playing superior version of most games for cheaper. ;)
Until Windows 2015 comes out and old stuff from the halcyon days of XP and 7 no longer run.

jambo

codswallop said:
Until Windows 2015 comes out and old stuff from the halcyon days of XP and 7 no longer run.

Apart from some Windows 95 and 98 stuff almost everything runs on Windows 7.

And if it doesn't, nerds will find a way.

RandomVince said:
Eventually my PSOne and PS2 will go the way of my Master System and refuse to play games for me. The only way to relive these games are through emulation, whether it be on PC or through re-releases.
I would prefer to be able to give my 360 games to my son to play but understand that it is unlikely to end up that way and have factored that into all purchases that I have made for quite some time. I collect some games just to have them tucked away, for my own piece of mind but most of them I could do without. The improvements in emulation (and resultant piracy in order to make the best use of it) means that in 10 years time I can play Arkham City again on my PC using an emulator created by some of our fellow gamers who only wish to be able to relive these incredible experiences.

jambo

reptilescorpio said:
The improvements in emulation (and resultant piracy in order to make the best use of it) means that in 10 years time I can play Arkham City again on my PC using an emulator created by some of our fellow gamers who only wish to be able to relive these incredible experiences.

Or you could, you know... play the PC version

=P

jambo said:
Or you could, you know... play the PC version

=P
Well, I used Arkham City as an example. Applies to Gears 3, Halo Reach, Uncharted 3, etc.

Also what is the benefit of Tweetdeck? Seems like the official app but smaller. Plume seems nice though aside from the advertisement. Not sure what extra features they have over the official app.

Omi said:
STFU scorpio about shitty console franchises. Seriously. STFU
FINE. How about The Last Story and Zelda as examples then? With the power of emulators we can play these games on our PC's until the end of time, long after the original consoles have rusted and become bitter and twisted as time goes by.

jambo said:
What? DOSBox bro.
This is the Wiki page for DOSBox setup: http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Basic_Setup_and_Installation_of_DosBox, it's long, and that's just the basic setup!

This is the setup instructions for an Atari/NES: Plug it in, put in the game, turn it on.

reptilescorpio said:
Also what is the benefit of Tweetdeck? Seems like the official app but smaller. Plume seems nice though aside from the advertisement. Not sure what extra features they have over the official app.
Haven't used the official one for a while, but Tweetdeck allows you to create your own custom columns with different notification options. The custom columns can be Twitter lists or the results of a search (useful for, say a hashtag when you're at an event).

For those interested in buying Assassin's Creed: Revelations through Steam it is now for sale for $49.99 USD. I'd imagine it will receive the customary Australian price rise in the near future so it might be worthwhile getting in quickly.

Edit: Although I might be mistaken, looking at Ubisoft's other recent releases seem to suggest they're no longer doing this. Both Heroes of Might and Magic 6 and Driver: San Francisco have retained their standard US pricing.

Kritz

Banned
RandomVince said:
No interest in pc gaming. Never been my thing.

NktoD.gif

jambo said:
DOS/Windows 3.1: Plug in old PC, turn it on, put floppy in.
Touché.

Except you forgot to mention that you had to setup an autoexec.bat/config.sys to only load the right drivers and to ensure DOS/4GW was installed if that was needed...

Deeku

Jintor said:
The meeting's off Deek!

(Seriously, presentation on Monday, gotta prep time)
:lol

I was kinda busy yesterday anyway. But yeah, every Monday from now I'll be in the library, waiting. Don't stand me up again, bitch!

Top Bottom