• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

jambo

codswallop said:
Touché.

Except you forgot to mention that you had to setup an autoexec.bat/config.sys to only load the right drivers and to ensure DOS/4GW was installed if that was needed...

That's part of the charm =P

And that DOSBox wiki page is hardly long haha, it's 2 pages tops and once you set that shit up it sticks and you just cruise through the next time.

midonnay

news limited's take on the Dan Wheldon indycar crash....

It is understood he died instantly when he slammed into a wall, leaving him the latest victim of a sport that has claimed the likes of Ayrton Senna and Peter Brock.

talk about casting an irrelevant wide net :/

jambo

RandomVince said:
No interest in pc gaming. Never been my thing.

ZFQg0.png

LOL mass email just got sent out around my company titled, "TIP: Why Rebooting a Computer Fixes Some Problems"

midonnay said:

More people have died from planking this year than from professional motor racing.

Also Vince should get into PC gaming. It would make you much happier. Sure, I have to wait an extra few weeks for Arkham City but it only cost me $28 and will look insane on my decent PC and even better on my new one that is on the way.

Gazunta

PC doesn't have Crackdown.

PC has Photoshop and Google Docs, and if I'm in front of a PC that's what I'll be doing with it because otherwise I feel like I'm lazy :(

Still not ported over. Telstra assure me it's all done on their end and I'm just waiting for Optus. This is bullshit that I even have to worry about this.

DeathJr said:
You forgot the most important part, AAA exclusives.
Which is why it is worth owning a console if you like Halo or Uncharted. Especially since consoles are now under $300. In 5 years time though I expect to see a PS3 emulator running stable.

Also Gaz you should make a Crackdown clone for PC!

RandomVince said:
And Mario Galaxy.
At least 70% better on PC with Dolphin.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Come on some big retailer, do something bad again so I can bust you and have something to write.

Bad time to be a Nintendo site right now.

Gazunta said:
Still not ported over. Telstra assure me it's all done on their end and I'm just waiting for Optus. This is bullshit that I even have to worry about this.

Are you speaking to the Telstra porting team or just a general enquiries number?

Try calling the porting team on 1800 631 334 (if you haven't already), they helped my other half when she was having issues porting from Optus to Telstra.

Echoplx

Agyar said:
AusGAF is, for some reason, continually surprised that there are members with little or no interest in PC gaming.

I spend too much time in the Steam thread, coming out to console infested GAF makes me feel dirty.

jambo said:
Apart from some Windows 95 and 98 stuff almost everything runs on Windows 7.

And if it doesn't, nerds will find a way.
I have some old PC games and I'm wondering what the best way to find out if they work with Windows 7 is (without actually installing it on my Mac); is there a good site or rule for finding this out? Google doesn't seem to be much help, particularly for more obscure games.

In particular I have a copy of Robin Hood: Legend of Sherwood that I've always wanted to play but never had the chance before my old PC died and I switched permanently to the Mac. I could install XP on the Mac, but that limits my triple boot options, whereas if I go with Windows 7 the triple boot stuff is a lot easier… I just don't want to find out that some of those old games won't work.

Jintor

I'm running Dolphin on a $1000 pc, but yes, it is kind of problematic. But that's half the fun!

Also, you bastards need to get comfier chairs.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Aon said:
Yeap, those guys got the hell down. Who'd you kill first?
The small one. I couldn't deal with the one-hit kill move he gets if you kill fatty first.

jambo

endlessflood said:
I have some old PC games and I'm wondering what the best way to find out if they work with Windows 7 is (without actually installing it on my Mac); is there a good site or rule for finding this out? Google doesn't seem to be much help, particularly for more obscure games.

In particular I have a copy of Robin Hood: Legend of Sherwood that I've always wanted to play but never had the chance before my old PC died and I switched permanently to the Mac. I could install XP on the Mac, but that limits my triple boot options, whereas if I go with Windows 7 the triple boot stuff is a lot easier… I just don't want to find out that some of those old games won't work.

tbh the easiest way with PC games is to just whack the disc in and see what happens. There are a bunch of compatibility modes built in to Windows 7.

You can also try searching on Google for terms like "Robin Hood: Legend of Sherwood windows 7" or "Robin Hood: Legend of Sherwood compatibility mode" and see what happens. Hopefully you'll find forum posts with instructions to get games running.

And if you do dual boot, definitely go with Windows 7.

EDIT: Also, judging by this it should run fine.

endlessflood said:
I have some old PC games and I'm wondering what the best way to find out if they work with Windows 7
If the game doesn't have steep requirements or you have a powerful computer, you could always look at virtualisation. Might be a bit of overkill, but it ought to work. Using VMWare Player you ought to be able to make your own virtual computer and install whatever OS you like on that.

If it requires a 3D card, virtualisation probably isn't what you want.

Edit: Looks like that's a pretty recent game, so my advice probably isn't useful in that situation.

endlessflood said:
In particular I have a copy of Robin Hood: Legend of Sherwood
They released a Mac version you could try to track down or just give installing it on Win7 a shot. Some stuff runs perfectly through compatibility mode for me.

Also Dolphin will run great on my 2500k build. Runs pretty good already on a Q6600.

Deeku

Yeah being on mac kinda sucks since I can't be bothered bootcamping. So I basically need to buy a pc just for gaming, which I don't want to do.

I still have an old laptop where I play GalCiv every now and then. Loved that series when I was using windows.

Cheers for the advice guys. I worded that post poorly, when I said I wanted to find out if the game would work on Win 7 "without actually installing it", I meant Windows rather than the game. I haven't installed Windows yet and I'm trying to decide whether to install XP or Win 7 on the Mac; XP makes triple booting (I'm going to install Linux as well) a real pain in terms of the partitioning, whereas Win 7 makes that stuff a piece of cake.

The drama is that once I put Win 7 on there's no going back short of wiping all 3 OS's so I just wanted to feel a little more confident that most of those old games would work. But it sounds like the chances are pretty good so I think I'll just bite the bullet and go with Win 7.

Choc

Banned
walking into a telco shop right now is crazy, so many people, so many optimists wanting a 4s

:|

every single one of them

Jintor said:
I'm running Dolphin on a $1000 pc, but yes, it is kind of problematic. But that's half the fun!

Also, you bastards need to get comfier chairs.

If you are having trouble Jintor, make sure you are running the latest Stable build. i made that mistake last night. The lastest build they have the download button linked to was running games at like 20 fps. horribly.

I got the latest stable build and now everything runs at a smooth 60 FPS with no drops on max settings

Choc said:
walking into a telco shop right now is crazy, so many people, so many optimists wanting a 4s

:|

every single one of them
Are they browsing Twitter on their outdated phones with contempt for the disgusting device? Wishing it was a 4S and not a lowly little 4?

Choc

Banned
reptilescorpio said:
Are they browsing Twitter on their outdated phones with contempt for the disgusting device? Wishing it was a 4S and not a lowly little 4?

Telco staff are laughing when people ask if 4s is in lol

Jintor

Marshmellow said:
If you are having trouble Jintor, make sure you are running the latest Stable build. i made that mistake last night. The lastest build they have the download button linked to was running games at like 20 fps. horribly.

I got the latest stable build and now everything runs at a smooth 60 FPS with no drops on max settings

Where does it indicate stability? I dialed it back to pre Dolphin 3.0, I'm somewhere in the .7000s, not sure where until I get home. Xenoblade is running like a champ though, except a little bit of stuttering in cutscenes.

Shaneus

midonnay said:

SMFH.

PS. Glad to hear someone other than me talk about FM4 in AusGAF, Bern (PS. If you want to friend me on XBL, my GT is Shaneus). To sum it up in an even shorter way, you could say it feels like they're a slightly PGR-ified GT5. Better overall aesthetics, style up the wazoo and the ability to cater to almost anyone.

Intro movie gives me goosebumps, too.

Won't be playing tonight, though... my hands seriously need a break. They're still a little sore from last night :(

Yagharek

PCs shit me. I've had enough problems with windows, Linux and Macs at various time at work and study. The less hassles infect my leisure time the better, hence console peasantry.

Its more fun.

Omikron

RandomVince said:
PCs shit me. I've had enough problems with windows, Linux and Macs at various time at work and study. The less hassles infect my leisure time the better, hence console peasantry.

Its more fun.

?

jambo

endlessflood said:
The drama is that once I put Win 7 on there's no going back short of wiping all 3 OS's so I just wanted to feel a little more confident that most of those old games would work. But it sounds like the chances are pretty good so I think I'll just bite the bullet and go with Win 7.

I've never really used Mac, but surely there's a way you can just wipe the Win7 partition if you have issues...

RandomVince said:

Its more fun.
PC gaming is a nice oasis for me away from all the DLC and one use codes. As well as offering me more options on how I want to play my game and upgraded graphics.

Yagharek

Omi said:

I don't have patience for pc outside a work environment. I have a short fuse with them in general, so last thing I want is to risk combining difficult games and inevitable hardware issues. Ask shaneus how I dealt with 360 rrod for proof.

Also I don't care about visuals at all.

markot

Banned
Jintor said:
In all honesty getting a 360 controller adaptor for my PC has been a pretty good move.
I love how microsoft makes it so damn hard to find >_<, and doesnt let people buy the adapter sperately.

jambo said:
I've never really used Mac, but surely there's a way you can just wipe the Win7 partition if you have issues...
Not if it's to replace it with XP for triple boot unfortunately.

To get a triple boot Mac you have to do some very dodgy things to the partition maps (since you're effectively using two different partition maps at the same time) and the setup that gives you Mac, Win 7, Linux and a Linux swap won't work if you replace Win 7 with XP (you need to install XP to the partition that was Linux under the old scheme or it won't be recognised). It's a bit of a clusterfuck. Win 7 plays nicely with the triple boot setup but as I said XP makes things a bit of a pain.

Now you see why I wanted to figure out the games thing out before I installed Windows! :)

Top Bottom