• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

hamchan

If we're talking about bad comics we used to read when we were younger I also used to read Simpsons comics. Even the additional Bart Simpsons comics. I also used to read Archie, ugh. Now that I think about the only good comic I used to read when I was younger is Ultimate Spider-Mam.

roosters93 said:
Me too but there's a difference between that and saying it's the only good one aye.
I read Watchmen and enjoyed it.
I tried picking up Watchmen after I got back into X-Men and The Avengers a few years back and for the life of my I just could not get into it. I dunno if it was because I'm not a huge fan of the 80's era art it has or what. But it just didn't hook me the way other stuff has.

That said I enjoyed the Maximum Carnage and all of the Age of Apocalypse comics so I'm clearly a bad person.

At least I know Jeff Loeb sucks and as long as I stand by that rule I shall do fine.

hamchan said:
Fuck Jeph Loeb. He ruined the Ultimate universe, my favourite Marvel universe that I freaking grew up with.
He tried to fuck it up, but while the X-Men and Ultimates side of things got bad, Ultimate Spider-Man was still one of the best comics being put out there. I really liked where they went with the whole Aunt May and her house for wayward super hero teenagers. I was really annoyed when they decided to kill of Ultimate Spidey but the way they did the ending and everything for him was amazing. Still not sure what I think of the new Ultimate Spider-Man.

I never really got into Simpsons comics as a kid, when I was 14 and into comics I was reading Generation X and X-Force. Also I read a fair few of the Aliens comics Dark Horse had put out. Loved Aliens Genocide and Aliens Hive. Need to track them down again been ages since I read them.

Jintor

3chopl0x said:
@Jintor

That shit is official? Man I've seen some bad dubs in my time but wtf is that shit.

I think it's an alternate dub because the voice actors felt like goofing off. That or they threw away the script like in Samurai Pizza Cats

Yagharek

Jintor said:
Calvin & Hobbes is the best comic ever made. No questions.

No questions at all. It is the pinnacle of comics/cartoon strips.

Honourable mentions to The Far Side, Footrot Flats and older issues of The Phantom.

hamchan

I like to believe Hobbes wasn't part of Calvin's crazy mind. Instead he's a magic tiger that has the ability to disguise himself as a stuffed toy at will.

Yagharek

There's no point trying to define Hobbes. Calvin sees him as real, everyone else doesnt. Calvin's perspective is the one that matters most.

Deeku

Tin Tin and Asterix were awesome! Went to the library every lunch to read them during primary school.

Loved C&H and Garfield. Hagar the Horrible was great too.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
user_nat said:
This sucks. Something wrong with my ADSL exchange. About 200ms to anywhere.
Same problem for a friend with a different provider on the same exchange.
So to follow up on my own post.

Apparently Telstra has decided to move all the people on 1.5mb ADSL to 8mb ADSL on our exchange. This has result in lots of congestion.

Speedtest from now at peak times:
1539410273.png

(ping test gives me D- also)

Speedtest from late night last week:
1535478830.png

Good work Telstra.

hamchan said:
Fuck Jeph Loeb. He ruined the Ultimate universe, my favourite Marvel universe that I freaking grew up with.
This comment makes me feel old. At the best of times I feel very old. this made me feel very older still. Congratulations.

reptilescorpio said:
Now I love anything by Joe Kelly, Mike Benson, Robert Kirkman, Warren Ellis, Garth Ennis, Mark Millar and Brian Michael Bendis.
Very nice taste, sir.

Yagharek

Ive got a Ren and Stimpy comic strip packed away somewhere. It's called "Masters of Tiiii-iiiii-iiiime aaaaand Spaaaaa-aaaaa-aaaaace"

And it's exactly like a choose your own adventure book, where they are in a space ship that malfunctions and they get stuck in time loops or encounter aliens and all sorts of insane shit. Some of the pages you can't even "get to" because nothing leads to them, and they are batshit insane. Even moreso than usual.

user_nat

reptilescorpio said:
Any way to get your old speed back? Can you swap provider because they have screwed you over?
Nope. Friend on Internode has the same issue. Obviously they use Telstra though. Optus only has ADSL1 here.

Apparently the exchange is scheduled to be upgraded in March. So I guess I can just wait..

funk0ar

Sup Ausgaf, I was just wondering if there are any teachers here, or students doing their dip ed? I've been entertaining the idea of doing it next year and doing science teaching and was wondering which Uni's in Sydney offer the best courses for Dip Ed or is it worth doing a master of education straight up? Any helpful info would be great, the Uni websites don't offer very much clarity, I may have to go in one day and speak to someone who runs the course.

user_nat said:
So to follow up on my own post.

Apparently Telstra has decided to move all the people on 1.5mb ADSL to 8mb ADSL on our exchange. This has result in lots of congestion.

Good work Telstra.
That was one of the worst things I had to deal with when I used to work in Bigpond Tech Support, there is nothing we could do about someone living in an area serviced by a Congested DSLAM.

user_nat

reptilescorpio said:
Maybe email the original place that ran the story and see if you can get a high res copy of the photo? Tinyeye failed me. :(

Fuck that.
OCCUPY TELSTRA SHOP
Should totally go to their store and abuse some helpless employee.
That'll teach em to make xbox live unplayable.

Gazunta

Shaneus said:
Party Animals was very well done. Last of a dying breed, it seems.
Thanks, man. We and the localization / manual team at MGS put a lot of effort into that one. Nice to see it appreciated :)

And hey I did the math for the Falcon 4.0 manual (which I have here) - if you guys are willing to pay $200 for a game, I can make it happen :)

OH MAN COMICS. Simpsons comics are often quite good BTW. But damn I love comics of all shapes and sizes.

Calvin & Hobbes is the best comic strip of the last 30 years no question. I would also recommend Peanuts, Little Nemo In Slumberland, Krazy Kat and Bloom County.

Comic books - anything by Dave Sim, Terry Moore, Frank Miller, Evan Dorkin, Ivan Brunetti, John Byrne, Jaime Hernandez, Dan Decarlo, JACK FUCKING KIRBY

Web comics - Sheldon, PVP, Axe Cop, Hark! a Vagrant, Olgaf (Made in Australia!), Subnormality, Wonderella,
Presidog

Bernbaum

Just finished replacing both smashed glass surfaces on my iPhone.

A DIY fix-it job of an iPhone is a fascinating adventure through your beloved device that requires complete disassembly of the entire phone and removal of each key hardware component - battery, logic board, camera, rumbly thing and the screen.

It is also completely terrifying at every stage.

A finnicky exercise that requires many small, but different, screws to be removed and organised for it to be reassembled properly.

New screen looks fine. Only issue is that the home button requires a bit of extra 'click' to respond.

Bernbaum

Gazunta said:
OH MAN COMICS. Simpsons comics are often quite good BTW. But damn I love comics of all shapes and sizes.

Calvin & Hobbes is the best comic strip of the last 30 years no question. I would also recommend Peanuts, Little Nemo In Slumberland, Krazy Kat and Bloom County.

Comic books - anything by Dave Sim, Terry Moore, Frank Miller, Evan Dorkin, Ivan Brunetti, John Byrne, Jaime Hernandez, Dan Decarlo, JACK FUCKING KIRBY

Web comics - Sheldon, PVP, Axe Cop, Hark! a Vagrant, Olgaf (Made in Australia!), Subnormality, Wonderella,
Presidog
Been reading Oglaf for ages and found out only recent it's written by a lady. I LOVE the art - likely my favouritest for a webcomic.

LISTS!

Calvin and Hobbes
Preacher
Y The Last Man
Invincible
Walking Dead
DMZ
Fables + spinoffs
Invincible
Penny Arcade when it's not shit
The Phantom
Spawn
Hey, I thought it was cool when I was 12

The X-men as a thing are fucking cool but trying to crack into Marvel's convoluted universe-spanning tangle of canon and mythos is a nightmare.

Dead Man

Bernbaum said:
Been reading Oglaf for ages and found out only recent it's written by a lady. I LOVE the art - likely my favouritest for a webcomic.

LISTS!

Calvin and Hobbes
Preacher
Y The Last Man
Invincible
Walking Dead
DMZ
Fables + spinoffs
Invincible
The Phantom
Spawn

The X-men as a thing are fucking cool but trying to crack into Marvel's convoluted universe-spanning tangle of canon and mythos is a nightmare.
Bolded for truth.

Bernbaum said:
Spawn
Love the art in Oglaf even if the writing goes astray for a few days at a time.

Best years of PA stopped around 2007 but even since then they create some perfect comics that put all other gaming comics to shame.
i-jJRZhDr-XL.jpg

1168712738_2pmNu-L.jpg

If you liked Spawn checkout Haunt. Only read the first 10 issues but it was awesome. The Darkness too.

Bernbaum said:
Just finished replacing both smashed glass surfaces on my iPhone.

A DIY fix-it job of an iPhone is a fascinating adventure through your beloved device that requires complete disassembly of the entire phone and removal of each key hardware component - battery, logic board, camera, rumbly thing and the screen.

It is also completely terrifying at every stage.

A finnicky exercise that requires many small, but different, screws to be removed and organised for it to be reassembled properly.

New screen looks fine. Only issue is that the home button requires a bit of extra 'click' to respond.

Cool, now you can open up a stall and charge $60 to do the same for others.

Bernbaum

After hearing about a possible Metroid film, I sent an email to Penny Arcade and they responded saying they'd like to make a comic about the news and then followed through. This was seven goddamn years ago oh god where has my youth gone?

I refer to it as the Penny Arcade that I wrote.

215500336_mN3Zj-L-2.jpg

Thank you dear Bernbaum. I will hold off on posting more PA lest this turns into an appreciation thread. Actually is there one on the main forum? Bah I could just go over to their site.

To The Moon looks super awesome and will be getting my dollars next month. Pretty much my perfect kind of game as long as it is devoid of pretentiousness.

Also Lone Survivor. I really need to checkout RPS daily again.

I've noticed a weird thing on my computer lately. The icons won't refresh automatically.

If I delete a file, it will go to the recycle bin but the icon will still be showing. Only after I manually refresh with right click, will it disappear. Same thing when I copy a file to a folder, the icon will not show until I manually refresh it.

What gives? The problem rectifies itself if I reboot, but after 2-3 days of continuous use it starts again.

I started watching the UC3 videos in the impressions thread and just as Drake started running towards the plane I turned it off. I really don't want to spoil it. Looks amazing. Graphics have improved a lot since it was first shown. Just want to enjoy the experience as much as UC2. I want that damn figurine.

DeathJr said:
What gives? The problem rectifies itself if I reboot, but after 2-3 days of continuous use it starts again.
Same here. Seems to have become more prevalent (as in it has happened twice this month going from never on Win7) since I have about 30Gb of music sitting in a folder on the desktop. Maybe clearing that off will help.

Dead Man

http://abc.com.au/news/2011-10-17/labor-wont-help-abbott-repeal-carbon-tax/3575676

Climate Change Minister Greg Combet says the Opposition is dreaming if it thinks Labor would help a Coalition government repeal the carbon tax and emissions trading scheme laws.

Legislation to bring in a carbon price passed the House of Representatives last week and it will now be considered by the Senate.

The Opposition has warned Australian companies against buying carbon permits, saying if it is repealed they would not be compensated.

Although the Coalition would not have a chance at a majority in the Senate for another six years, it expects Labor to help it scrap the carbon price scheme.

Opposition climate spokesman Greg Hunt says a Coalition victory would give it a mandate that Labor should respect.

LOL. Obstructionist arseholes wanting cooperation if they get elected? Good luck with that.

Top Bottom