• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Omikron

I don't get the 'need patience to game on pc' thing.

With steam (and I presume other DD services), you buy product, download it, play it. There is in fact, less effort than console gaming in a lot of ways now. Go figure. Stigma hangs around forever I guess.

Jintor

Omi said:

With steam (and I presume other DD services), you buy product, download it, play it. There is in fact, less effort than console gaming in a lot of ways now. Go figure. Stigma hangs around forever I guess.

A lot of games are like that, yeah, but there's also a lot of dicking around with settings every once in a while, and there's seriously none of that with console gaming at all. And the dicking around with settings can take a while.

jambo

As if RAGE is the only game to launch with massive issues on PC.

I'm a PC gamer through and through and even I can admit that console gaming is a hell of a lot easier.

wetwired

Damn you all for playing arkham city, I'm still waiting for mine to be sent.

Though I did get it for $62 delivered from the UK PLUS batman begins and dark knight on blu ray

Echoplx

jambo said:
As if RAGE is the only game to launch with massive issues on PC.

I'm a PC gamer through and through and even I can admit that console gaming is a hell of a lot easier.

Read what I said again, I'm not denying that I'm just saying that there are also a lot of games that work perfectly fine.

Yagharek

Omi said:

Personal temperament, not a problem with the platform per se. I know my limits.

markot

Banned
jambo said:
XIII sequel confirmed

HHHHHNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG

IOS IOS IOS IOS IOSSSSS!

Also Xiii sucked! When its selling point is 'david dutchoveny' you know a game is going down to funky town! (Games suck in funky town!)

hamchan

Omi said:

Nope, I don't think there will ever be less effort than buy disc, put in disc, play. Or buy on PSN, download, play. There really is a lot of fiddling around on PC but that just comes with the benefit of having many options doesn't it?

jambo

3chopl0x said:
Read what I said again, I'm not denying that I'm just saying that there are also a lot of games that work perfectly fine.

Read what Vince said again =P

He doesn't want to have to deal with fiddling around with shit when he's relaxing and playing games. If you game on PC you will always run in to more issues than someone who games on a console. It's just the way it is.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I'm investing in Baseball bat for home security, these break ins are getting worse and worse.

jambo said:
XIII sequel confirmed
wWUue.gif

legend166 said:
I really want to leave work and go play Batman.

Same here :(

The only issue I had with a PC game this year was waiting hours for DE3 to decrypt. Everything else has been click, click go.

Consoles have been fine too. Aside from networking issues when I moved house.

All depends on how much tinkering you do before you game. If you play SP and go with stock settings there aren't many more problems when gaming on a PC than a console.

jambo

3chopl0x said:
You know what's easier than gaming on console though? Not gaming at all. It's Ausgaf approved and all.

I swear, I read and talk about games way more than I play them these days =\

markot said:
IOS IOS IOS IOS IOSSSSS!

iOS and PC

markot said:
Also Xiii sucked! When its selling point is 'david dutchoveny' you know a game is going down to funky town! (Games suck in funky town!)

When was that the selling point? I didn't even know he did the voice. For me it was the awesome cel-shaded art direction and unique combat.

Would rather have this than yet another bald space marine shooter.

Bernbaum

Salazar said:
iPad Fifa 12 taking up all my time.

So good.
It'd take me two seconds to check but here goes:

1) Does Fifa 12 lend itself well to train/bus travel?
2) Is there a Football Managing sim on the iPad?

Salazar

reptilescorpio said:
All depends on how much tinkering you do before you game. If you play SP and go with stock settings there aren't many more problems when gaming on a PC than a console.

I am going to depend on you dudes when I upgrade.

Bernbaum said:
It'd take me two seconds to check but here goes:

1) Does Fifa 12 lend itself well to train/bus travel?
2) Is there a Football Managing sim on the iPad?

a) Fuck yes. The guy sitting next to me on the train to uni yesterday was genuinely enthusiastic about me hammering Bayer Leverkusen 11-3. The tackles are wonderfully meaty - if you come in at someone full speed, it feels like you really fuck them up.
b) The iOS version of Football Manager is pretty weak. That's the only one I've tried, and I felt like deleting it.

Gazunta

legend166 said:
I really want to leave work and go call telstra and ask WHY THE FUCKING NUMBERS HAVEN'T PORTED OVER YET.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Holy: yeah the Telstra people at that number were nice and have even called me back during the day to keep me updated. Telstra are saying it's up to Optus, so during lunch I called Optus and they said nah everything's fine on their end, it's now up to Telstra to flick the switch. I DON'T HAVE TIME TO DEAL WITH THIS SHIT, SIRI FIND ME A GUN

Yagharek

Omi said:
Sounds like you have issues with Rage RandomVince...

Lets just leave it that I've learnt to avoid what ticks me off. Eventually or finally I think. Computers are the bane of my study life. Or were.

Bernbaum

Salazar said:
a) Fuck yes. The guy sitting next to me on the train to uni yesterday was genuinely enthusiastic about me hammering Bayer Leverkusen 11-3. The tackles are wonderfully meaty - if you come in at someone full speed, it feels like you really fuck them up.
So on a scale of competent to shithouse, how well do you rate the controls for FIFA 12?

I typically avoid what I recognise as 'compromised' control schemes for traditional action video games on iOS, favouring games of a turn-based non-dynamic nature (hence my Football Manager inquiry).

Gazunta said:
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Holy: yeah the Telstra people at that number were nice and have even called me back during the day to keep me updated. Telstra are saying it's up to Optus, so during lunch I called Optus and they said nah everything's fine on their end, it's now up to Telstra to flick the switch. I DON'T HAVE TIME TO DEAL WITH THIS SHIT, SIRI FIND ME A GUN
This sounds oddly like Holys internet problems...

jambo

reptilescorpio said:

Even then you can run in to strange issues that just don't exist in console gaming.

I can't remember what game it was, but a few years ago I had a game that wouldn't launch at all after I installed it. I checked that my drivers were up to date, same with DirectX and a few other things.

Did some searching online and found some possible leads, but they all came up naught.

Eventually I cam across the solution. For whatever reason, the game only ran if you had the sound settings in Windows set to 16-bit and 48,000Hz. I had speakers and a sound card that supported 24-bit 96,000Hz sound, so I had it set to that. No other games were effected by it, but this one simply would not launch.

So, every time I wanted to play it I had to change my sound settings. That's a PC exclusive!

Omikron

3chopl0x said:
I need to start DNF tonight

Code:
Steam Rating: 10

Playing time: 35.9 hrs past 2 weeks

DNF will break you soul. Just telling you now. I gotta finish it, one day.

RandomVince said:
Lets just leave it that I've learnt to avoid what ticks me off. Eventually or finally I think. Computers are the bane of my study life. Or were.

Heh, the only time I had issues with computers, was dealing with the awful iMac lab in the UTAS School of Mathematics. GOD DAMN FUCKING PIECES OF SHIT.

jambo

Code:
Gameplay Stats

Steam Rating: 0.9

Playing time: 2.9 hrs past 2 weeks

My Minecraft addiction is making my Steam stats suffer.

EDIT: I wish I still had my original account, gave it to my housemate a few years back and he's bough some games on it since. Hasn't used it in 250~ days though =\

Code:
Gameplay Stats

Steam Rating: 0

Playing time: 0 hrs past 2 weeks

Bernbaum

Omi said:
I've got a chapter or two to go in Resistance 2. The game falls squarely in the camp of titles that is an absolute chore to play and takes some mental muster for the player to want to sit down and play through to finish it off.

I've heard good things about the PSP game though.

Yagharek

Omi said:

Heh, the only time I had issues with computers, was dealing with the awful iMac lab in the UTAS School of Mathematics. GOD DAMN FUCKING PIECES OF SHIT.

I was thinking of that exact same lab. I gave up on mathematica assignments in first year thanks to them.

jambo said:
So, every time I wanted to play it I had to change my sound settings. That's a PC exclusive!
Custom sound setup. Custom settings required. My mate has issues running his 360 through a sound system with some games not coming through clear.
The more things you add into a process the more there is to go wrong. Which is why I just hook up my 360/PS3 to the TV and play SP. That way I only have to worry about the usual bugs that come up from software.

Omikron

RandomVince said:
I was thinking of that exact same lab. I gave up on mathematica assignments in first year thanks to them.

Ugh, I had the pleasure of three years of those fuckers. Then again, it was no School of Engineering with the co-ax network.

Bernbaum said:
I've got a chapter or two to go in Resistance 2. The game falls squarely in the camp of titles that is an absolute chore to play and takes some mental muster for the player to want to sit down and play through to finish it off.

There are quite a few games in that camp of late.

Jintor said:
Where does it indicate stability? I dialed it back to pre Dolphin 3.0, I'm somewhere in the .7000s, not sure where until I get home. Xenoblade is running like a champ though, except a little bit of stuttering in cutscenes.

That build sounds familiar. Should be ok.

If there's any doubt as to why you should be on Twitter, seeing Stephen Fry and Steve Martin argue about the peculiarities of the others' version of the English language ought to be enough to remove any doubt.

Edit: Or drunkhulk.

markot

Banned
codswallop said:
If there's any doubt as to why you should be on Twitter, seeing Stephen Fry and Steve Martin argue about the peculiarities of the others' version of the English language ought to be enough to remove any doubt.
So Twitter's a time machine that goes back in time to an era when Steve Marin was funny?!

Salazar

Bernbaum said:
So on a scale of competent to shithouse, how well do you rate the controls for FIFA 12?

Pretty goddamn good.

The shooting is pretty well tuned. Swipe up to chip. Swipe down when in the box to fake a shot.

If you drag your finger on the screen, the nearest available player will make that run - or the closest thing to it.

Double tap on the screen for a skill move.

Swipe up on the pass button to play a through ball, or pass into space. Tap for a ground pass. Hold for a lofted pass.

Hold sprint/hassle when defending and your player will automatically chase the one with the ball. Tackles are all slide, unless you just run in and nick it off them or are very close when you tap it.

There is a temptation to spam the sprint button, but the hit your ball-control takes when you try sharp turns with it is pretty severe. You double tap it to push the ball out a few yards when running with it - that's pretty effective with a quality winger.

Dead Man

Bernbaum said:

I've heard good things about the PSP game though.
R2 lost me at about the 2/3'd mark, and I haven't gone back to it since. Probably never will. I'm comfortable with that. I will read some wiki before I play 3 and that will be fine.

Omi said:
Stephen Fry isn't religious, so he says, you might think twice after reading his tweets about Steve Jobs.
He is such a slut for Apple.

Bernbaum

Dead Man said:
R2 lost me at about the 2/3'd mark, and I haven't gone back to it since. Probably never will. I'm comfortable with that. I will read some wiki before I play 3 and that will be fine.
Spoiler:
The remaining 1/3 is still terrible.

Yagharek

Omi said:
Ugh, I had the pleasure of three years of those fuckers. Then again, it was no School of Engineering with the co-ax network.

There are quite a few games in that camp of late.

I had the joy of using those shitty Macs for scanning, then trying to ftp them to physics Sun SPARC systems. Or whatever. Suns worked, Macs didn't, so had to detour via windows boxes. Unnecessarily fucked.

Jintor

Totally exhausted all the way home, sudden burst of energy as I slump into my bed. Dunno what's going on but it kinda sucks.

I think I'll just try and nap...

Top Bottom