• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Omi said:
It is interesting, personally I think the iOS, while consistant, is starting to look and feel quite dated.
I agree totally with this. Apple's problem now is that they can't change the look too dramatically to avoid confusing their... let's call them "less technical" users, and the tech users might be more inclined to move to WP7 or Android when they see how much better those devices look.

Jintor said:
Thanks! The right word for the right situation.

Hey Jintor how is your Xenoblade going? i finally got around to trying it out last night, isn't running so well. i saw some discussion from you in the dolphin thread, just wondering if you came out with a solution? thanks man

Also delete if this is not ok but mate just linked me this, arkham city $25 on steam

jambo

Anyone see the 90s music thread in OT?

For me it goes 70s > 60s = 80s > 90s

90s was great for dance music, but for some reason I think of that separately from rock music.

MrSerrels

jambo said:

90s was great for dance music, but for some reason I think of that separately from rock music.

90s was all about hip hop for me - especially the first five or six years.

Omi said:
also. wot?

427985530.jpg
Wash it down with a V for extra jitteriness!

Gazunta

I pretty much just listen to '90s music on the UK station Absolute Radio '90s these days and a YouTUbe collection of Aussie '90s music.

Triple J in the early to mid '90s was the saviour of my sanity. Got me through a lot of late nights hunched over a keyboard trying to build a career while all my friends were out having a life.
I don't miss any of them :/

jambo

I listened to Triple J a lot in my high school years, 2001-05, but not so much after that, mainly because I stopped listening to radio altogether.

MrSerrels said:
90s was all about hip hop for me - especially the first five or six years.

I'm sorry, but the idea of a slightly nerdy Scottish man listening to hip hop is just hilarious :lol

Office Space - Michael Bolton Rapping

Bernbaum

jambo said:

Was reading it just now.

I've listened to more music from the 90's than any other decade and it resonates stronger with me than the 60'-80's because that's the music of my youth. 90's was all about grunge and alternative rock. I got Rage Against the Machine's 'Evil Empire' when I was in eighth grade as one of my first ever CD's. I see eighth graders on my train and they're fucking tiny. Highschool was almost exclusively punk and ska music, because it was cool like how marbles, yoyo's and basketball cards were cool. As such, I missed a lot of great stuff from the nineties that I've only discovered since in the last ten years or so. Case in point: Radioheads' OK Computer.

This sounds dumb and I haven't given it much thought but post-2000 music sounds like a period of creative 'recovery'. By that I mean that a lot of ideas have been expended and that the challenge for artists to keep their sound fresh and vital is much harder. Hence the widespread popularity of more abrasive electronica music.

The 60's and 70's are something I've enjoyed through my parents. Dad was always an easy one to buy presents for - just get him a Bob Dylan or Beatles CD and I've kept him happy whilst effectively having bought the CD for myself. I haven't listened to much pre-80's music beyond The Beatles, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Cat Stevens, The Band, Bob Dylan, Nick Drake, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, The Kinks and The Doors. That's it. That's all I can name from those eras and I know there's bound to be a tonne of great stuff I'm sure I'd love but have missed out on.

It's hard to argue objectively about which decade is 'best' because of the strong bias that my 90's upbringing has. Also, I'd have to ignore pretty much entire genres and artists that fall into the mainstream simply because they don't fall into my sphere of interest and I've never heard them.

EDIT: I don't usually play favourites or form best-of lists, but this is probably my favourite album ever in the existence of everything. I can listen to it anytime and it still kicks arse.

jambo

No Pink Floyd Bern.

I am disappoint.

Also, the more I think about it, the more I realise I actually love a lot of bands and albums from the 90s.

Gazunta

Bern, do yourself a favour and get Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys.

I know I know, Beach Boys. but seriously.

Seriously.

I only listened to it for the first time this year, and it's made me realise I've wasted my life.

Bernbaum

Gazunta said:
Bern, do yourself a favour and get Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys.

I know I know, Beach Boys. but seriously.

Seriously.

I only listened to it for the first time this year, and it's made me realise I've wasted my life.
Oh I have that. Uni friends at the Con insisted that I buy it.

Gazunta

Good to hear :)

I guess if I went to Uni I would have been exposed to a lot of cool stuff.

I probably wouldn't have ended up working in the games industry though.

(Oh I do remember hanging out at UQ and seeing Regurgitator play before they got signed, that was cool)

jambo

Bernbaum said:
I know! I don't even have that album that stoner uni students have as a poster in their share houses!

I bet you didn't even make "we don't need no education" jokes at school either, pfft.

Agyar

codswallop said:
I agree totally with this. Apple's problem now is that they can't change the look too dramatically to avoid confusing their... let's call them "less technical" users, and the tech users might be more inclined to move to WP7 or Android when they see how much better those devices look.
Good interface design should be intuitive and transparent. What you deem boring and outdated is really a feeling of familiarity. You shouldn't need to be thinking about how to use the OS to use a system. It should just work. The iOS interface changes slowly because it doesn't need and crying out for an overhaul because you feel like learning a new set of interfaces and UI elements is backwards.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I'm on my way to work safe week at the melb convention centre, I have to sign in 30 minutes before the thing I'm attending starts. Wtf do I do for 30 minutes? Am I expected to network or something? Can I sit in the corner with headphones in?

Agyar said:
Good interface design should be intuitive and transparent. What you deem boring and outdated is really a feeling of familiarity.
Maybe, but then when comparing it to newer devices they feel 'fresh' and exciting compared to iOS. iOS could still feel familiar with a fresh coat of paint to modernise it.

Agyar said:
You shouldn't need to be thinking about how to use the OS to use a system. It should just work. The iOS interface changes slowly because it doesn't need and crying out for an overhaul because you feel like learning a new set of interfaces and UI elements is backwards.
I'm not saying it needs a major overhaul, what I'm saying is that it feels stagnant. The design of the actual phone has changed and feels modern while also feeling familiar.

Bernbaum said:
EDIT: I don't usually play favourites or form best-of lists, but this is probably my favourite album ever in the existence of everything. I can listen to it anytime and it still kicks arse.
This is the best album ever. Fact.

Bernbaum said:
Hah! I bought that the week it came out over a fucking decade ago. A cute little novelty I guess...
I ask you, what other album gives you 101 songs? In the same way that more megapixels makes a better camera, more songs makes a better album. Obviously.

Bernbaum

Gazunta said:
Cods, then allow me to present to you the best game ever.

http://cf.mp-cdn.net/a7/ac/dc30526ac77249223ff53a302b36.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
It's like, the handheld equivalent of the Orange Box on bull testosterone!

The best album in the world right now before I get sick of it and find something better is The Dodo's 'No Color'. Do listen. Also, new Feist and new St. Vincent await my downloading.

Gazunta

I haven't played with it a lot (It's for the wife), but it reminded me a lot of the 3DS but with higher resolution and the 3D all the way up so it feels a bit 'strong' for me. The Evo doesn't have the slider that the 3DS has, it's either on or off.

I like how you can play 3D movies on it, I guess I'll play with it a bit later and see what formats it supports. I wonder if the 3D API is open so game devs can support it.

I don't have any other 3D equipment so i can't say how the export of 3D pics works :/

Clipper

Gazunta said:
I haven't played with it a lot (It's for the wife), but it reminded me a lot of the 3DS but with higher resolution and the 3D all the way up so it feels a bit 'strong' for me. The Evo doesn't have the slider that the 3DS has, it's either on or off.

I like how you can play 3D movies on it, I guess I'll play with it a bit later and see what formats it supports. I wonder if the 3D API is open so game devs can support it.

I don't have any other 3D equipment so i can't say how the export of 3D pics works :/
You could export to the 3DS provided it outputs in .mpo as an option. You just have to rename the files to get the 3DS to display them.

Jintor

Marshmellow said:
Hey Jintor how is your Xenoblade going? i finally got around to trying it out last night, isn't running so well. i saw some discussion from you in the dolphin thread, just wondering if you came out with a solution? thanks man

Also delete if this is not ok but mate just linked me this, arkham city $25 on steam

Only thing I'm having trouble with is crispy-ass audio. Gonna try a new build when I have more time.

Jintor said:
Only thing I'm having trouble with is crispy-ass audio. Gonna try a new build when I have more time.

Ahh right, can you maybe PM me your setup/what you are using later on when you have time.
Currently i am getting 25 max fps, it chugs at like 12fps in combat though and also the audio sometimes is crackly or horrible, but i turned the quality down and it has lessened that.

Would appreciate it.

ps-AusGAF. Dungeon Defenders is awesome fun i was playing last night, really good chill game to be able to jump into with mates.

Fusebox

Banned
jambo said:

Why not just post in that thread? I mean, I totally understand posting Aussie-centric stuff in here, but when it comes to OT topics you guys should just join in with the rest of the forum instead of being insular and huddling together back here.

C'mon out jambo, don't be shy!

jambo

Fusebox said:
Why not just post in that thread? I mean, I totally understand posting Aussie-centric stuff in here, but when it comes to OT topics you guys should just join in with the rest of the forum instead of being insular and huddling together back here.

C'mon out jambo, don't be shy!

I did post in that thread.

=/

Stackboy

codswallop said:
This is the best album ever. Fact.

My fave compilation album of all time. So much fun and got me into plenty of good bands.

Got a digital radio from my folks for my 30th bday next week, been listening to JJJ Unearthed. Pretty good.

I'm the stock manager for a couple of weeks, covering my friends job while he is away. Then I'll start doing audits for the company. The metro audits have already been completed, so i'm going to be doing the regional audits. Traveling to outer parts of Victoria, staying there for a few days, etc etc. All company paid of course...:)

Deeku

DeathJr said:
I'm the stock manager for a couple of weeks, covering my friends job while he is away. Then I'll start doing audits for the company. The metro audits have already been completed, so i'm going to be doing the regional audits. Traveling to outer parts of Victoria, staying there for a few days, etc etc. All company paid of course...:)
When are you going to apply for jobs at accounting firms or banks? You're more than qualified I reckon. Or is corporate life not your thing?

jambo

Fusebox said:
Lol! Alrighty then, wish I'd seen it as it would've saved me some typing. :p

It's ok, you've probably just caught a case of the GAFs, writing a post before checking the relevant information.

In extreme cases it leads to mass bans.

commanderdeek said:
When are you going to apply for jobs at accounting firms or banks? You're more than qualified I reckon. Or is corporate life not your thing?
Early next year. I'm going overseas for a month in December, so makes no sense applying now. Plus with this audit experience, I'll have a better chance.

Top Bottom