• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Deeku

I might go try the fifa12 demo. Haven't bought a football game since...PES2008? Don't remember. The reason why I never liked fifa was because I preferred the ball physics in PES. Fifa always seemed a bit off to me, fifa11 demo did not convince me to switch over.

Shaneus

I thought I'd been banned thrice, but I can only think of two times. First, this, something else (I'm almost sure of it) then this. None incredibly damning or (IMO) banworthy, but I took them on the chin and have come back no better than before. Woo!

I don't play sports games. Gaming is about things you can't experience in reality, like killing dragons or exploring dungeons, etc. What's the point of playing games like FIFA when I can just go outside and kick a ball around?

I did enjoy cricket games in the past, especially cricket 97 and Ashes..they were Arcady and fun. Virtua tennis was fun too, my main pastime on the psp.

Cohsae

DeathJr said:
I don't play sports games. Gaming is about things you can't experience in reality, like killing dragons or exploring dungeons, etc. What's the point of playing games like FIFA when I can just go outside and kick a ball around?

I did enjoy cricket games in the past, especially cricket 97 and Ashes..they were Arcady and fun. Virtua tennis was fun too, my main pastime on the psp.
Well I don't have 20-odd friends that I can rope into a soccer game at a moment's notice. I wish that were the case.

Fredescu

FIFA is awesome because the defending gives a lot more edge to the man in posession. You have to jockey and time your chances, and a mistimed tackle gives a huge advantage to the attacker. I feel like I have to pay a lot more attention to defense, where in the past I was holding the button down and waiting for the guy to catch up. I find that it's a lot easier to get pulled out of position in defense too.

The Ultimate Team metagame is a lot of fun too. I haven't played a normal match yet.

I have no idea how it compares to PES because I don't give a fuck about that argument anymore. I loved PES5 but since FIFA 08 I haven't felt the need for more than one soccer game. To me PES vs FIFA is another one of those tedious fanboy wars that I prefer to just steer clear of. PES Wii is good though.

midonnay

Shaneus said:

mummy...this gif makes me feel funny... o.o

UT6Vk.gif

Shaneus said:
I thought I'd been banned thrice, but I can only think of two times. First, this, something else (I'm almost sure of it) then this. None incredibly damning or (IMO) banworthy, but I took them on the chin and have come back no better than before. Woo!
I've only been banned once. It was in the world cup thread last year, people kept making comments about Australians being convicts and I said it was comparable to saying all Germans are Nazis or something along those lines.

Dead Man

Shaneus said:
Second example was a bit questionable, but for the first... GAF hates the *fag words. I mean, most of GAF hates the words, some mods are cool and just mock you. I swore at some poster over something I can't even remember for my ban. It was a bit harsh I thought, but I was being a dick.

Fredescu

DeathJr said:
What's the point of playing games like FIFA when I can just go outside and kick a ball around?
You don't (usually) control a single avatar in FIFA. It's more like a real time tactics game where you have to guide and co ordinate a whole team. Playing a game of FIFA is nothing like playing a game of soccer. The "sports" part is just window dressing.

Fredescu

Someone needs to make a Bloodbowl equivalent of FIFA so the people that are usually "eww sports" can see how good these games are mechanically.

DeathJr said:

I dislike sports games too, but I disagree with your assessment as to why. The draw of FIFA is not just the rules of the game, but rather the fantasy of being a part of a World Cup campaign and playing in front of a billion people. Otherwise, there would be a dozen clones with generic made-up players floating around.

That particular fantasy has never been a dream of mine, so I don't play them.

Yagharek

Fredescu said:
FIFA is awesome because the defending gives a lot more edge to the man in posession. You have to jockey and time your chances, and a mistimed tackle gives a huge advantage to the attacker. I feel like I have to pay a lot more attention to defense, where in the past I was holding the button down and waiting for the guy to catch up. I find that it's a lot easier to get pulled out of position in defense too.

The Ultimate Team metagame is a lot of fun too. I haven't played a normal match yet.

I have no idea how it compares to PES because I don't give a fuck about that argument anymore. I loved PES5 but since FIFA 08 I haven't felt the need for more than one soccer game. To me PES vs FIFA is another one of those tedious fanboy wars that I prefer to just steer clear of. PES Wii is good though.

Ignoring the attempt at discrediting the debate altogether, Ive played probably 3 football games that have represented significant leaps over what was there before it. The first was ISS Pro 98, which at its time was probably the first great 3D soccer game.

The next would have been PES2, and although 3/4/5 improved upon it, 2 was the landmark for what was then a new generation.

The only one since then has been PES Wii, although I'm only able to talk about 2011 since that was when I first gave it a shot.

Fifa by comparison still seems stuck on the 2008 template. I have tried it every year since, hoping that its changed and/or playable and each time it ends up lasting 3 months before I give it away.

MrSerrels

Choc said:
Vince until 12 i agreed with you wholeheartedly and its why i loved PES

but

the goalmouth scrambles in fifa 12 are nuts because of the impact engine (which has taken away the jilted animations)

maybe i will come to love PES 12 overall in teh long run and FIFA 12 is a one night date, but its the best fifa in yonks

FIFA has been better than PES since FIFA 09 as far as I'm concerned, and FIFA 12 is the best one yet.

jambo

Marshmellow said:
Very chillout style sounding, quite cool. Not really a fan of what he does at the 2 minute mark.....

Glitch Hop is definitely an acquired taste.

Marshmellow said:
However, i REALLY like THIS. Quite awesome.

That was the next one I was going to link to, brilliant song.

This is one of my favourites of his, he wrote it while his brother was dying From the Earth

Fredescu

viciouskillersquirrel said:
The draw of FIFA is not just the rules of the game, but rather the fantasy of being a part of a World Cup campaign and playing in front of a billion people.
This isn't what it's about at all, and the games do a pretty bad job at simulating that aspect of the game anyway.

Otherwise, there would be a dozen clones with generic made-up players floating around.
This is exactly what PES is. They don't have the naming rights to most leagues, so that game has mostly generic names.

jambo

DeathJr said:

Yeah, why do people play FIFA, just go and play for Manchester United instead. Fucking idiots right.

Bernbaum

Played some more Fifa 12 on the iPad this morning on the train. I think I'm gonna stick with it. There's more 'game' in there than what I was expecting.

Choc

Banned
Telstra axes T-Touch Tab

LUCY BATTERSBY | Telstra has pulled its first tablet device from the market after a year of disappointing sales and will instead start selling Apple's iPad 2.

lol

Fredescu said:
This isn't what it's about at all, and the games do a pretty bad job at simulating that aspect of the game anyway.
Which is why when my cousins play against each other, the teams are inevitably Spain Vs Brazil, England Vs Brazil, Argentina Vs Brazil, Mexico Vs Brazil, France Vs Brazil or Brazil Vs Brazil. Remember I said the appeal was "not just" the rules.
Fredescu said:
This is exactly what PES is. They don't have the naming rights to most leagues, so that game has mostly generic names.
I did not know this. I don't really play sports games.

Shaneus

Dead Man said:
Second example was a bit questionable, but for the first... GAF hates the *fag words. I mean, most of GAF hates the words, some mods are cool and just mock you. I swore at some poster over something I can't even remember for my ban. It was a bit harsh I thought, but I was being a dick.
Yeah, learnt that the hard way, unfortunately! It *was* bish though, so there you go. But I've learnt my lesson on that part and now if I have anything that might be remotely considered offensive or controversial in any way I just shut my mouth or take it over to another forum where things are a little (lot) more relaxed.

Edit: Serrels, did you end up reading that article on Ars about the 48hr game dev comp? I absolutely loved it.

Deeku

Fredescu said:
Edited option file usually solves that problem. In the end it just comes down to preference, and it's usually gameplay related rather than a cosmetic thing since FIFA would win every time.

Fredescu

Which is why when my cousins play against each other, the teams are inevitably Spain Vs Brazil, England Vs Brazil, Argentina Vs Brazil, Mexico Vs Brazil, France Vs Brazil or Brazil Vs Brazil. Remember I said the appeal was "not just" the rules.
They want to play with their favourite players. That's different to "being a part of a World Cup campaign and playing in front of a billion people". I don't think the perceived audience and the stage matters at all, and like I said, the crowd and stadiums are still poorly simulated. The players and the teams? Yes, definitely, they're a huge draw.

Fredescu

commanderdeek said:
Edited option file usually solves that problem. In the end it just comes down to preference, and it's usually gameplay related rather than a cosmetic thing since FIFA would win every time.
Yep, mods are awesome with PES. When I first got into PES, I got PES3 from a friend with a 2002 world cup mod already loaded. I just played that forever and didn't realise until PES4 that generic names were the default.

Soccer: I only watch the world cup, and support the underdogs. (or Germany because they play with great discipline). I don't give 2 shits about league games or Manu or whatever.

Bernbaum

I once played a complete season of Fifa 2003 on Gamecube as Arsenal on the easiest setting and blitzed every game 10-0. It's the only Fifa I've played for more than an hour.

Slide tackle, steal ball, run to goals, shoot.

Not once did I change the difficulty settings.

A whole fucking season.

Awesome response VOOK :D Was a good read.

Jambo - From the Earth is pretty good as well, i like

I just bought a white peach from a random farmer's market stall in the city. $3
Also could not resist buying myself a toffee apple for $2. Peach is awesome though, so dam tasty best i have had in ages. (i had previously bought really nice strawberries but he has increased the price by $1 a punnet)

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Marshmellow said:
Awesome response VOOK :D Was a good read.

:D

Also,

Couple of small things I wrote for Hyper are going to be in the next issue. Pumped.

VOOK said:
:D

Also,

Couple of small things I wrote for Hyper are going to be in the next issue. Pumped.

Sweet, Are they just giving you writer's credit or are you getting paid for the articles?(i hope so)

Great either way

Top Bottom