• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Omikron

Bernbaum said:
Oh, the stupidest thing seen at EB Expo was easily the in-show EB store. People spending time waiting in line at a show they're paid cash money to attend so they can purchase games at RRP.

Completely perplexing. Guess its people like those guys that keep the conventional retail sector in business.

Admit it, you were one of them weren't you.

Buyers regret etc.

D.Lo

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Reminds me of how I walked into EB the other day, bought Layton and the Lost Future and the girl asked me if I had a 3DS. I said yes, but that mine was imported from the US, so I couldn't buy local games. She suggested I trade in my system to buy an Aussie one and I was like "..."
Lol what would EBs do with a US 3DS?

Ruin some kid's birthday when Pokemon mummy bought with it doesn't work I'd imagine.

Choc

Banned
Kerrby said:
ABC1 beat Channel 10. That's pretty hilarious, 10 needs to pull its head out of its arse and do something about Lachie Murdoch.

oh
i wonder if thats why. Channel ten own Oztam apaprently

BanShunsaku said:
:lol

But seriously, Grandad was a carpenter, so unfortunately we are not weird AusGAF relations :(
Didn't think so. None of my wife's cousins are the type to be AusGAFers. Mind you, given the demographics of Mt Gravatt and the surrounding suburbs, if you grew up on the south side of Brisbane, chances are more than reasonable that you had grandparents who lived near Garden City.

Kerrby

Banned
Choc said:
oh
i wonder if thats why. Channel ten own Oztam apaprently

I thought most of the big networks owned some part of OzTam but yes it's true. Channel 10s shows also get bagged quite a bit on TvTonight, which is understandable seeing most of Channel 10s shows are shit now.

Channel 10s highest rating show for the week was NCIS, everything else got under 1mil viewers.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Didn't think so. None of my wife's cousins are the type to be AusGAFers. Mind you, given the demographics of Mt Gravatt and the surrounding suburbs, if you grew up on the south side of Brisbane, chances are more than reasonable that you had grandparents who lived near Garden City.

I actually grew up in rural NSW, which made Brisbane and Garden City even more magical.

Also Grandad lived on Norton street about 4 houses down from the Mcdonalds there so that was pretty magical as well.

Grandad has since sold his house and passed away, went back there a couple of years ago and that whole street is all apartments now. Crazy stuff.

jambo

Where is everyone getting BF3? I just want to make sure I get the Karkand map pack, don't care if I have to wait for a physical copy.

leca

Well would you look at that! http://games.on.net/gameservers.php?id=670 :O

I've got a feeling the midnight launches at EB this week for the BF3 PC release will be a ghost town.

Anyone else given these a whirl yet? Had the bag on my desk all day :/

431489680.jpg

431489685.jpg

Rahk

jambo said:
Where is everyone getting BF3? I just want to make sure I get the Karkand map pack, don't care if I have to wait for a physical copy.
$46 from GMG's UK site, need to use a VPN though. Otherwise about $54 from GamersGate.

Jintor

Still going through the Xenoblade thread from the beginning. It's very entertaining seeing everybody freak out about game importing taking ages. They way I look at it it's more like buying a present to yourself that might turn up a while later. Generally by the time the stuff arrives I've forgotten about it...

jambo

BanShunsaku said:
I'm with Choc, new Coldplay album is great. Charlie Brown might be my song of the year.

I'll probably pick it up this week, but I don't think it'll come close to Noel Gallagher's new album.

EDIT: I ended up getting BF3 from CJS CD Keys if anyone was wondering. Was $45 and I got the key almost instantly and it activated without a hitch.

Bernbaum

There's a slew of potentially amazing/interesting new music due out before the end of the year.

New Justice is out tomorrow; New Tom Waits is around the corner; The Roots have a new album; Florence + the Machine have got me guessing where they'll take their sound on their next album; Zooey Deschanel has a christmas album out with her band She and Him; PLUS we get the Beach Boy's 'Smile Sessions' album which is sure to get attention.

Metallica are proudly average, but their collaboration with Lou Reed will be interesting.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Bern, the Metallica Lou reed is fucking terrible, like really fucking terrible. And this isn't me being me, saying something that's good is bad, it really is just shit.

It's been oh their website streaming for maybe the past week, try not to kill yourself while you listen to it.

Driving test tomorrow and it's wet and raining, I look forward to failing.

remz

Weird ausgaf relations, heh heh. Who would have relatives on the forum >_>

Those chips sound disgusting, something about caffeinated corn chips does not sit well with me in slightest, ahah

Also definitely agree with you Bern RE: incoming music, especially with Florence, can't wait to hear it. Justice too.

Not so much Metallica though, heard some of that... was kind of... not so good, ahah

Bernbaum

evlcookie said:
Bern, the Metallica Lou reed is fucking terrible, like really fucking terrible. And this isn't me being me, saying something that's good is bad, it really is just shit.
Hahahaha! If it carries the 'evlcookie's don't bother with this shit' badge of disapproval, then I will ignore it accordingly. Never much liked Metallica, so it's not like I'm set up for disappointment.

I've come around on Mastodon's The Hunter - it's not the intricately layered prog/metal space odyssey that we enjoyed with Crack the Skye, but hey, I can always just listen to that album instead. Mastodon certainly have the chops to pull off some stadium rock anthems, and I've been enjoying The Hunter even if it's a tad dumbed-down.

What are your toughts?

remz

You weren't asking me but IMO the hunter fucking rocks >_> Kind of odd coming straight after the uber prog song lengths of Crack The Skye as you say, but they definitely pull off the lighter, more compact songs as well, they haven't lost any of their edge, certainly, merely the length.

Some of the tracks are really goddamn catchy too, which is weird for them ahah.

Just read that 'Why I don't PC Game' thread that you pointed out earlier Jambo (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449485) ... wtf. Talk about a shitty analogy by a shitty writer.

On the topic of good music recently or soon to be released, I picked up Dessa's new album Castor, The Twin. Just quality. I reckon it will be an excellent gateway album for getting my friends into the hip-hop I'm into, much like her previous album A Badly Broken Code was used on me.

Definitely looking forward to Florence; had no idea about new Justice, will grab that at some point; not so sure about the rest though. The one song I've heard from Zooey wasn't to my liking, will probably have to give her a bit more of a fair shake.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I don't mind the hunter at all. I do agree it's not as complex as crack the Skye but each song does have its own unique sound. I love creature lives, it's such a random lyrically filled awesome song.

This is just mastodon going back to singing about the most random shit possible without sticking to a specific theme and subject.

Fredescu

Was anyone a Sonic Youth fan? I was so bummed when I heard that Kim and Thurston had split. They almost certainly won't tour again. When I saw them tour for Rather Ripped I was expecting the group of 50 somethings to be a bit tired and bored, but they kicked a lot of arse. I missed the Daydream Nation tour, and now I'm sad that I probably won't see them again. As a result I've been listening to nothing but Sonic Youth (00s stuff) for the past couple of weeks.

Gazunta

Fredescu said:
Was anyone a Sonic Youth fan? I was so bummed when I heard that Kim and Thurston had split. They almost certainly won't tour again. When I saw them tour for Rather Ripped I was expecting the group of 50 somethings to be a bit tired and bored, but they kicked a lot of arse. I missed the Daydream Nation tour, and now I'm sad that I probably won't see them again. As a result I've been listening to nothing but Sonic Youth (00s stuff) for the past couple of weeks.
Damnit, this is the first I've heard of this :(

My God, today is dragging. It's not Thursday yet. GRRRR.

Choc

Banned
Charlie Brown is so epically coldplay and so traditional coldplay

awesome riffs and backbeat

Some of the slow songs are not great. Rihanna duet is awesome (Princess of China) and it goes without saying that Paradise will feature in a bajillion film credit sequences in the next few years, its perfect for it.

Don't let it break your heart is also a typically good coldplay song.

legend166

Bernbaum said:
There's a slew of potentially amazing/interesting new music due out before the end of the year.

New Justice is out tomorrow; New Tom Waits is around the corner; The Roots have a new album; Florence + the Machine have got me guessing where they'll take their sound on their next album; Zooey Deschanel has a christmas album out with her band She and Him; PLUS we get the Beach Boy's 'Smile Sessions' album which is sure to get attention.

Metallica are proudly average, but their collaboration with Lou Reed will be interesting.

Did you just....did you just mentioned Tom Waits....in the same post as a Zooey Deschanel album?

Outside. Now.

Card Boy

Banned
I dont care what the protestors are whinging about here in Melbourne, but i feel they should show some respect to the Police doing their jobs. The Police don't get paid enough as it is and we these left wing pissants with a collective IQ of 10 shitting on them.

Fredescu

Gazunta said:
Damnit, this is the first I've heard of this :(
They were married for 27 years. Obviously they're being pretty low key about it, they'd be hypocritical otherwise, but you have to wonder how a marriage that long and successful can suddenly stop being so. They're honouring tour dates that have already been set and "the future is uncertain" after that.

Yeah, I'm actually kinda liking the new Coldplay. Hurts Like Heaven is a top track, not quite their usual thing. Still a little curious that they reckon the album is inspired by The Wire. Obviously time will tell if it has sticking power.

If WA stores are all shut on Sundays, I'm not entirely sure what I've been doing at work for the last year's worth of them. Just standing there and looking arguably pretty, I suppose.

Between all the music talk and Gez's capitalisation of "The Police", I imagined Sting breaking up a huge protest.

Omikron

Fredescu said:
For what it's worth, the libertarian right are among them. The conservative right obviously don't want a bar of it.
Those are still left wrong pissants doncha know.

Ps. Who you using in fm2012? ;)

Fredescu

Omi said:
Ps. Who you using in fm2012? ;)
FC Erzgebirge Aue from the German second division. It's been years since I've played FM, so it's been a bit of a slow start. Hoping to get promotion in my second season.

Card Boy

Banned
Yeah i got FM2012 but don't know why i bought it. I did the tutorials and still don't understand what to do. Anyone doing an OT? That game might knock off TF2 from the top spot.

Jintor

Ahhh fuck my Comsec account has been locked for some reason. 10 minutes on hold so far trying to get to the bottom of this.

Vek

So. Battlefield 3 LE. Is it worth the preorder now for the extra maps, or should I just get it later sans map pack, considering that I wouldn't be able to play it for another week, and that I'll also be juggling Dark Souls and Uncharted 3?

Decide for me AusGAF!

Jintor said:
Ahhh fuck my Comsec account has been locked for some reason. 10 minutes on hold so far trying to get to the bottom of this.
That usually happens when someone enters the wrong password too many time...

Top Bottom