• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Jintor

commanderdeek said:
I'm at home today because I'm expecting some deliveries. Plus it's too damn hot for uni.

See if I ever help you out with resulting trusts!

/me continues actually learning in a tutorial omg.

Bernbaum

Yesterday, zombies, today, the Queen.

I don't give a pig's arse about the monarchy but being part of the Commonwealth is great because it means Australia gets to hang a big curly turd over the UK teams and Canada every four years at the Commonwealth Games.

Jintor

Clearly the best result would be to get independance but also still get invited to the Games. Maybe we can get an amicable divorce.

hamchan

I think a lot of publications are afraid of using the 5 point scale because that means the 2nd highest score you can give is a 4/5, which converts to an 80 on Metacritic. Publishers don't like that and won't send you review copies. Heard this from Giant Bomb.

Bernbaum said:
Yesterday, zombies, today, the Queen.

I don't give a pig's arse about the monarchy but being part of the Commonwealth is great because it means Australia gets to hang a big curly turd over the UK teams and Canada every four years at the Commonwealth Games.

what the hell, better not be blocked at home time or going to be so mad.

Did you end up going yesterday bern, got pics to share of zombie walk? i am keen to see :D

Fredescu said:
Don't most of them give half stars anyway, making it a ten point scale? Granted not many video reviewers stick to full numbers. IGNs old 1000 point scale was always pretty funny.
Yeah, but it also encourages the use of the full scale. No critic is afraid to give a mediocre romantic comedy 2 stars whereas they might fear backlash if they give a game a 4. I think it's a psychological thing. It makes the distance between 1 and 5 not so dire, so you get a more honest assessment. On a five point scale, 3.5 stars is worth having a look.

Jintor

hamchan said:
I think a lot of publications are afraid of using the 5 point scale because that means the 2nd highest score you can give is a 4/5, which converts to an 80 on Metacritic. Publishers don't like that and won't send you review copies. Heard this from Giant Bomb.

Yeah. I think it would be hell to convert an existing site to it, but easier to establish a new site with it - hence, GB.

Bernbaum

Marshmellow said:
what the hell, better not be blocked at home time or going to be so mad.

Did you end up going yesterday bern, got pics to share of zombie walk? i am keen to see :D
I went to take photos, but was hungover/crook and didn't have the right camera gear. Didn't take snaps and left about half an hour after it started. Flickr is bound to have plenty of photos, and there were some good ones up on The Courier Mail this morning.

It was CRAZY busy - fucking squillions of people. A lot of great costumes, but a few lazy ones (Hey, my Ghostbusters costume from Supanova is still in my closet, I'll just rub blood on my face and HEY PRESTO I'm a zombie). Zombie babies are always a thing that is great - nothing like pushing around a pram filled with a little ball of gore! No word yet on whether it was bigger than last year's.

Jintor said:
Yeah. I think it would be hell to convert an existing site to it, but easier to establish a new site with it - hence, GB.
One of the few things, content-wise, that Giantbomb do that doesn't make me want to hurt puppies. I can't stand that deutschtasche Gerstmann.

Choc

Banned
just to show to the world how awesome our economy is..... :|

546641-correction-australia-currency.jpg

Gazunta

Every single time we hear about a Brisbane Zombie walk the wife and I turn to each other and go "Didn't they just HAVE one of these like 3 months ago?"

Ryan Davis has always been nice to me on the times where I go up and yell at him.

Bernbaum said:
I went to take photos, but was hungover/crook and didn't have the right camera gear. Didn't take snaps and left about half an hour after it started. Flickr is bound to have plenty of photos, and there were some good ones up on The Courier Mail this morning.

It was CRAZY busy - fucking squillions of people. A lot of great costumes, but a few lazy ones (Hey, my Ghostbusters costume from Supanova is still in my closet, I'll just rub blood on my face and HEY PRESTO I'm a zombie). Zombie babies are always a thing that is great - nothing like pushing around a pram filled with a little ball of gore! No word yet on whether it was bigger than last year's.

Ahh ok, will have to have a look later on today then. Just walked to our kitchen window, so many freaking people over at south bank, especially near the ferris wheel. You would almost think something interesting was happening.

Choc said:
new eurogamer layout and design is...... interesting
I like it. Clean and simple. The best thing about it is that you can just highlight the platforms and content you want to see and it filters out the rest.

Choc

Banned
codswallop said:
I like it. Clean and simple. The best thing about it is that you can just highlight the platforms and content you want to see and it filters out the rest.

Not sure if i like the 'popular right now' bit

especially if latest shit turns out to be turds no one likes, and you miss it

also all the stupid media reviewing once upon a monster need to learn from Laura Parker

Get kids to review that shit!

Salazar

jambo said:
Anyone interested in doing the Portal 2 DLC at some point this week?

Probably Wednesday or Thursday night.

Space Marine horde mode is Wednesday, I think.

Notwithstanding bullshit delays.

The Australian is now largely paywalled off. Future of Journalism, suckers.

Salazar said:
Space Marine horde mode is Wednesday, I think.

Notwithstanding bullshit delays.

It'll mean the end of the pandering to right-wing idealogues and propaganda by editorial influence that The Australian now enjoys in the public dialogue. Watch it become an irrelevant footnote in history, like the Whigs in any country.

legend166

Fredescu said:
Don't most of them give half stars anyway, making it a ten point scale? Granted not many video reviewers stick to full numbers. IGNs old 1000 point scale was always pretty funny.

You mean 100 point?

1000 point scale would be amazing, though.

You really can tell the difference between 9.97 and 9.98.

Gazunta

ACE magazine under the editorial reign of GAF's own Gary Whitta had a 1,000 point scale. It also had a chart that determined how long you will like the game for.

Fredescu

legend166 said:
You mean 100 point?
No, I mean 1000 point. They did have 9.23 etc scoring once didn't they? I tried to look at some of their old reviews via metacritic but the links are dead. Maybe I'm thinking of a different publication, but I'm sure a fairly popular site was using two decimal places for a while.

Marshmellow said:
Quick question Droid-GAF.

What app do you guys use for music playing. Thankies!

I no longer use my Desire, but when I was I used doubletwist for all my music stuff.

No idea if it is the best though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
jambo said:
Anyone interested in doing the Portal 2 DLC at some point this week?

Probably Wednesday or Thursday night.
I've already finished it, so no. But I encourage everyone to try it, it's really great stuff.

Also, man, Arkham City was a major disappointment for me. I'm not sure what I was expecting. Maybe I'm just looking back on Asylum with rose tinted glasses.

Fredescu said:
I liked PCPP's 100 point scale as a kid but now it just seems silly for some to be a 98 and others to be a 94. At least a 5 star system can manipulate a reviewers mind into thinking of the process as more of an overall review, which hopefully means a 3.5 is for a good game regardless of genre and hype. Works well with most of the music review places I frequent. Usually the places that use the 100 or 10 scales are the ones where fanboy fights start. Sometimes I would prefer a 3 scale (shit, okay, great) scale but when you are throwing down $90 some people would need a more defined figure to feel comfortable, even though they should just read the damn review in the first place. Kotaku do it right (or did it right a year or two ago) with just putting in PROs and CONs.

Salazar said:
Awesome, now less people will be retarded by their influence. Win win.

Choc

Banned
Rez said:
I've already finished it, so no. But I encourage everyone to try it, it's really great stuff.

Also, man, Arkham City was a major disappointment for me. I'm not sure what I was expecting. Maybe I'm just looking back on Asylum with rose tinted glasses.

wat

you cant say that without justification.

reptilescorpio said:
Samsung Galaxy S2 for $500 outright.

WinAmp. Simple, sounds great and runs really well. I just drag and drop into the DCIM folder and scoot around whatever tunes I feel like for the day.

Evlcookie 2.0

Will give doubletwist a go because i personally hate winamp. it looks like those are really my only 2 good options, though doubletwist looks nicer to me and is rated higher.

Cheers for help

Choc

Banned
ahahah

The Oz trying to boost its circulation. With teh digital costs comes paper delivery as well

smh, rupert get a brain

stuff like this does not work. I would happily pay for the Financial Review website but because i live in metro sydney i also have to get a paper sub making it $750 per year. No thanks

The AFR paywall has been a failure and fairfax has pretty much admitted so. It's a failure because the tools in the media do not realise that if you read something online you do not need the paper equivilent...... so why pay for it...

Salazar

How will digital subscriptions impact the media industry?

Charging for premium digital content is a very positive move for the industry. We know that the work we do is valuable to Australians, and it is important that people understand that paying for this content will ensure the future of in-depth news and analysis from the leading news organisations. We would love it if everyone wanted to subscribe, but we appreciate that there will be some people who will not. These people can still consume a lot of great content on The Australian website thanks to the ‘freemium’ model we are employing.

Millions of people buy newspapers every day, so it is not a stretch to believe that they will pay for great written and video content online, but it is up to each news outlet to convince them to do so.

Freemium. There's your new content model, Gaz. Freemium. Don't ask me how it works, just let it roll off your tongue.

Choc said:
ahahah

The Oz trying to boost its circulation. With teh digital costs comes paper delivery as well

smh, rupert get a brain

stuff like this does not work. I would happily pay for the Financial Review website but because i live in metro sydney i also have to get a paper sub making it $750 per year. No thanks

The AFR paywall has been a failure and fairfax has pretty much admitted so. It's a failure because the tools in the media do not realise that if you read something online you do not need the paper equivilent...... so why pay for it...
He's just an analogue man living in a digital world.

News companies are stuck in a difficult spot. They know that nobody buys a paper to own it - primarily, they want the content and the paper was once the only way to get it. Thing is, the content by itself isn't actually worth that much to people and when they pay for a paper, they know that they're paying in part for the paper. Once you're done with the content, the wrapper can be used to fill out boxes, wrap fish and chips or serve as a hobo blanket.

Decouple the content and its wrapper and you've just killed the value proposition. News no longer has to come in a physical wrapper and people tend to resist paying for something they cannot hold in their hands without getting some kind of recompense in terms of convenience or content. AFR and The Australian in their current online forms aren't offering that, certainly not at the prices they're charging.

Gazunta

Salazar said:
Freemium. There's your new content model, Gaz. Freemium. Don't ask me how it works, just let it roll off your tongue.
That's the model I've been following for the past 3 years :)

1: Give the comic away for free every day, including all the archives.
2: Earn a tiny bit of money from ads on the site.
3: Earn (and risk) more money by making sellable real world items - book collections, toys, video games, whatever.
4: ???
5: profit

I really, really need to get onto step 3. I have one book collection that sold well at Supanova, and I still sell the occasional printed (and digital DRM-free!) copy of via the website.

BTW: PRESIDOG FAN ART OMGGGG

Acehd00CEAE_xDS.jpg

DeathJr said:
Hmm, I don't see why you need an app on Droid for music. The stock app is pretty good. Personally I never felt the need of third party apps.

I don't really like the layout of it, it also doesn't have any good sorting features. I have doubletwist now, seems pretty good for what i want.

Top Bottom