• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Bernbaum

BanShunsaku said:
Fuck that, I'm stabbing that baby with a spoon first chance I get!

commanderdeek said:
When I used to drink milo, I just poked a hole in the tin foil and poured the milo out. None of this "getting the tin foil out perfectly" nonsense.

Fredescu said:
Hell yes. I've always been an impatient bust-it-open and tear-off-the debris guy.

Sutton Dagger said:
I don't even drink milo :(

Cohsae said:
Quik>Milo. Don't even try to argue.

Barbarians.

Deeku

Ohhh nothing, just curious is all.

Partly because most uni staff have their picture in their profiles, whereas she's all mysterious with her cute little manga avatar.

Salazar

As someone who at least half of AusGAF (at a conservative estimate) thought was the cute brunette in their avatar, deek, you can't really talk.

Bernbaum

Just watched the Today Tonight response to the asylum seeker criticism.

I was expecting a rebuttal to Media Watch. What we got was an admission veiled as clarification for Today Tonight's viewers - a covering of their legal arses if you will. As far as TT is concerned, their viewers never watched the Media Watch report.

The realization that the TT viewership wouldn't even know the Media Watch article existed and that they vastly outnumber viewers of MW is disheartening indeed.

Choc

Banned
Jintor said:
She's a very nice lady. She remembered me from her two classes in 2009 even though I haven't really seen her since then!

Can I subedit?

haha :D its that bad eh, maybe the swearing bit ? :)

sigh, been a while since i've had my work subedited, guess it shows :p

Shaneus said:
Sweet. I could be up for a drive down to Torquay on either day (providing I score Monday off, which is likely) so maybe we'll take this discussion elsewhere :)
Awwwww :( It's been nice watching the bromance blossom and now you go and hide it from us. Boourns.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Y'all are just a bunch of haters who dislike Maroon 5 by association instead of the merits of their music and have only ever heard their singles. I will admit, however, to not liking their second album at all.
Oh well, as long as you draw the line at their second album...

Gazunta said:
My challenge would be to remove the entire metallic seal in a new tin of milo in one go with your spoon.

I would always fail this challenge.
I has undefeated win with this challenge.

evlcookie said:
What?

Push in around the edge and then cut along the entire tin, pull out entire piece and you have a clear cut tin.
You soft git. You can do it all with the first step. Then cut? Oh dear.

Bernbaum said:
evlcookie knows what's happening.
He does not. By extension you do not.

BanShunsaku said:
Fuck that, I'm stabbing that baby with a spoon first chance I get!
Outside. Naow.

Bernbaum said:
You need to pretend your teaspoon is a can opener.

The first stab at the foil is the most important as you don't want to leave too large a puncture. Once you've got the handle of the teaspoon in there, gently leverage it upwards against the foil and it should start to tear. Keep using the teaspoon handle until you've done about half the circle and then it should flap enough to allow sufficient purchase with your fingers. From here, you can tear it off by hand and you'll get a cleaner tear than you will from using the spoon.

I don't expect you to get it straight away, but with time, patience and a bit of luck, we should have you opening those Milo tins gracefully like a motherfucker.
Barbarians. You're all barbarians.

Gazunta said:
Wait wait WAIT A FUCKING MINUTE

The HANDLE?

I've been using the curved spoon bit all along!

jambo said:
I use the handle and it works just fine.

Much smaller than the head so it's almost flush.
Finally!

Step One: Take handle of spoon and squeeze between foil and lid.
Step Two: Run that motherfucking spoon around the edge with enough force to separate from can.
Step Three: Remove compete foil.

Jintor

Choc said:
haha :D its that bad eh, maybe the swearing bit ? :)

sigh, been a while since i've had my work subedited, guess it shows :p

Just needs some minor punctuation stuff, since it's more conversational in style.

HolyCheck said:
Does anyone else get depressed when they're not included in one of these now pagely giant quote posts?

Had like four posts after Reptile's last bomba.

Shaneus

MrSerrels said:
Purple flavour is the best, closely followed by red flavour.
What about Max flavour?

Planet_JASE said:
Awwwww :( It's been nice watching the bromance blossom and now you go and hide it from us. Boourns.
I *am* bringing a webcam.

PS. The best ever form of Milo was the ORIGINAL Milo bars which was essentially bricks of Milo covered in a tiny little bit of chocolate. Then they started adding caramel and rice bubbles and shit and that was the day my childhood died.

PPS. Where the FUCK is Daytona on XBL?!?!? Can't come home to that shit, I've been listening to the music all day. That reminds me, I need to get a new gearbox after I shifted from fourth to second on a particular corner without the clutch and I fucked something.

PPPS. Grease Dance for Kinect?!? Sign me up, motherfuckers. I'll get my T-Birds jacket while it downloads.

Deeku

Salazar said:
As someone who at least half of AusGAF (at a conservative estimate) thought was the cute brunette in their avatar, deek, you can't really talk.
:lol

I think there was only one person that genuinely thought that, but I'm still not sure if he was serious or not.

Shaneus

You know, I think this Games on Demand thing is really going to take off here in Australia:
ZhWHO.jpg

PS. Awesome article, Choc. Midnight launches had skipped my mind completely.

Bernbaum said:
Just watched the Today Tonight response to the asylum seeker criticism.

I was expecting a rebuttal to Media Watch. What we got was an admission veiled as clarification for Today Tonight's viewers - a covering of their legal arses if you will. As far as TT is concerned, their viewers never watched the Media Watch report.

The realization that the TT viewership wouldn't even know the Media Watch article existed and that they vastly outnumber viewers of MW is disheartening indeed.

Is there a video for either Media watch or TT? I'd like to have a look.

midonnay said:
I wonder why they use tin foil?
Keeps fresh for longer and stops germs getting in.

Cohsae said:
Quik>Milo. Don't even try to argue.
1odf7.gif
03e0Y.gif

Not arguing. Just shocked.

Jintor said:
So she is smoking hot then?

Bernbaum said:
It's against the rules to have an alt account, reptilescorpio.
I like to think that I am starting a revolution against something or other. Maybe it is meant to be a reminder that everyone should be doing more work and less constant posting on GAF. Maybe I am looking out for you guys and your productivity, which in no small part is making this partially great nation move forward. Not backward. Forever swirling around and around.

Shaneus said:
You know, I think this Games on Demand thing is really going to take off here in Australia:
Show support for the publishers who shut down yet another Aussie developer! Buy full price when it was already $35 bomba at release! Also Wario noted that Black Ops DD was 18Gb, wtf content providers! You trying to fuck this up for everyone?

Also I look forward to the day that midnight launch means everyone talking garbage in AusGAF steam chat while we wait for that magical clock reset so we can continue not playing the latest awesome game.

Choc

Banned
Shaneus said:
ZhWHO.jpg

Ta

See my article as to why that game is $109.95

Shaneus

Choc said:
Ta

See my article as to why that game is $109.95
Already read the street date one. Is there another that's more specific? I remember you had another blog site but can't remember what the URL was :/

Choc

Banned
Shaneus said:
Already read the street date one. Is there another that's more specific? I remember you had another blog site but can't remember what the URL was :/

That wasnt really aimed at you shane, more the others as to why the games 109 :)

i plan to do a number of articles on shit that goes on in gaming and the real truth, and street dates was one of them. Given todays events i felt today was the time

Choc

Banned
shanshan310 said:
shit, that's a pretty big oversight. Its a shame this isn't going to get much publicity from anywhere other than the ABC though =/

LOL, I love the bit where it says "He says he wasn't told he was talking to a journalist. That would be against the journalists' code of ethics" as if that would matter to TT scum.

that would be against the law in everywhere but QLD and TT knew it

hence they chose QLD

Rahk

Jintor said:
I'm still organising my second reference letter. I met Mio today to grab hers, I forgot that her office is basically a mini-library.
It really is. It also functions as a mini-library since you can borrow stuff from her!

Bernbaum said:
It's against the rules to have an alt account, reptilescorpio.
I think they joined around the same time too. Probably approved in the same batch. Hmm.

Choc

Banned
commanderdeek said:
Choc going for insider whistleblower infamy?

FEAR THEE CHOC!

No, more about the shit people sprout who arent in the industry and think its right.

Street date sbeing a prime example

Yagharek

Choc said:
No, more about the shit people sprout who arent in the industry and think its right.

Street date sbeing a prime example

Your argument would hold some water if the publishers encouraged an even playing field in the first place. Your main argument is that street date breakages harm smaller retailers. Meanwhile, those smaller retailers are already being harmed by smaller stock allocation and zero allocation of preorder incentives (eg CEs, download vouchers, store exclusive bonuses).

The playing ground is already strongly tilted in favour of JB/EB/Game, and the Coles/Woolworths aligned stores. Meanwhile independent retailers like Gametraders or non-franchised stores have little to play with unless there is an import opportunity to take advantage of in case of local delays (eg some Wii PAL titles).

That ship sailed a long time ago choc. The industry already killed off most of the independent stores through favouring the big players we have today.

tl:dr summary: cry moar, publishers.

Choc

Banned
RandomVince said:
Your argument would hold some water if the publishers encouraged an even playing field in the first place. Your main argument is that street date breakages harm smaller retailers. Meanwhile, those smaller retailers are already being harmed by smaller stock allocation and zero allocation of preorder incentives (eg CEs, download vouchers, store exclusive bonuses).

The playing ground is already strongly tilted in favour of JB/EB/Game, and the Coles/Woolworths aligned stores. Meanwhile independent retailers like Gametraders or non-franchised stores have little to play with unless there is an import opportunity to take advantage of in case of local delays (eg some Wii PAL titles).

That ship sailed a long time ago choc. The industry already killed off most of the independent stores through favouring the big players we have today.

tl:dr summary: cry moar, publishers.

Vince no argument but today when BF3 broke not every GAME and EB had stock but every JB did. It's also about ensuring everyone can buy it when they want to and not go into a store and they dont have it. That side of it is for consumers, especially those in WA

this is the point, its to level the playing field. Mom and pops are unfortunately long gone yes, but that doesn't make it right.

I wasn't arguing for publishers, i was arguing to show that street dates may not be that good for gamers themselves in the long run

especially if shipments start to tighten up

With more and more gamers buying from importers who get the games cheaper than RRP and on or before release date, what choice do retailers have? Already retail is down, they are bleeding customers.

Yagharek

There was a street date break contract with Microsoft and one of their major software releases a few years back. Might have been one of the Halo sequels, or possibly even the 360 itself. Maybe its just the standard contract.

Anyway, the penalty for breaking street date was allegedly the loss of all microsoft software licenses that the stores run on. And the removal of the right to sell any MS games/software. So if a store broke street date, MS would rescind their right to run Windows OS on their store and company computers.

Pretty sure no-one broke that date, whatever it was.

I wasn't arguing for publishers, i was arguing to show that street dates may not be that good for gamers themselves in the long run

Unless they stop releasing games at all, it's not bad at all. People will go and buy the games they want regardless. Hell, the demand for day and date releases for games in Australia over the past 6 years has seen a change from 6-month PAL conversion delays, to the situation where we get games and even consoles first (after NZ), and now even Nintendo is bringing games out here within a week.

From a consumers standpoint, it's ALL good.

DeathJr said:
With more and more gamers buying from importers who get the games cheaper than RRP and on or before release date, what choice do retailers have? Already retail is down, they are bleeding customers.

Another excellent point. Local retailers are already competing with international releases, prices and shipping times. They NEED to launch as soon as they get stock, otherwise they risk losing impulse/borderline sales. Someone sees a new release out in shops a week early, they may buy it. If it's still street dated that gives them more time to consider if importing is worthwhile seeing as they already have to wait.

Omikron

Choc. I have little sympathy for publishers. They have raped the consumer for years. Especially in regards to regional pricing and regional release dates.

However, I do understand your points though. How long before we just see complete online activation if all products, like steam works our other online drm. That includes consoles.

Choc

Banned
how many times have we seen on gaf people whinging gamestop didnt have a game on release day because the publisher shipped it late

welcome to what Australia will be like soon.

i am not arguing for publishers, i am arguing why it might be bad for gamers for this to keep up.

So vince you're saying if EB is willing to pay $10,000 to ensure something flies out quickly (paying warehouse staff to do a longer shift, get in chartered flights from aae) etc etc than thats good? that encourages smaller businesses to even try and get into gaming? its fucking shit and its additional expense that retailers such as GAME do not need.

Also what makes gaming so special as i argued. Why can the retailers manage to fucking get it right with BluRays? especially when itunes is destroying them at the moment, they still respect the street dates of CDs, Blurays

games for some reason its fucking free for all.

import argument does not work with BF3 (and most releases these days). AU release date is the thursday, UK the friday generally for AAA games

So therefore, you wait longer.... so how is that an impulse? impulse would be picking up the more expensive AU copy on release

Omikron

Choc said:
how many times have we seen on gaf people whinging gamestop didnt have a game on release day because the publisher shipped it late

welcome to what Australia will be like soon.

i am not arguing for publishers, i am arguing why it might be bad for gamers for this to keep up.

So vince you're saying if EB is willing to pay $10,000 to ensure something flies out quickly (paying warehouse staff to do a longer shift, get in chartered flights from aae) etc etc than thats good? that encourages smaller businesses to even try and get into gaming? its fucking shit and its additional expense that retailers such as GAME do not need.

Also what makes gaming so special as i argued. Why can the retailers manage to fucking get it right with BluRays? especially when itunes is destroying them at the moment, they still respect the street dates of CDs, Blurays

games for some reason its fucking free for all.
Couldn't give a shit. PC to me has moved on from physical media and the need for a local pub and distributor. Times change man. Deal with it.

Echoplx

DeathJr said:

You mean weeks after release date.

Yagharek

Well, Im convinced. Time to celebrate midnight launches, overpriced local RRPs and special deals for only a handful of local retailers.

Choc

Banned
Omi said:
Couldn't give a shit. PC to me has moved on from physical media and the need for a local pub and distributor. Times change man. Deal with it.

lol

times move on, sure they do indeed. Digital changes everything etc, steam shits on street dates as well

what i am trying to explain is WHY street dates exist and why they are good for gamers in the long run potentially.

digital is also awesome for gamers being anytime anywhere. I am trying to bring some perspective to the debate

I am not trying to say fuck you all for buying games early, im not saying if a game breaks dont buy it, what im saying is dont be surprised if after 2011 you notice rapid changes with the way publishers deal with retailers

there has been not ONE, AAA release that has managed to not break its street date this year. If MW3 is broken, expect Activision to go mental.

Choc

Banned
RandomVince said:
Well, Im convinced. Time to celebrate midnight launches, overpriced local RRPs and special deals for only a handful of local retailers.

strawman.

i am not celebrating midnight launches, overpriced rrps and special deals. If you want to wait get it from the UK fine.

What i am saying is that this is the consequences of street date breaks. Some of them gamers may not like in the future

If every AAA game breaks in the future, i really generally wont care. But, people need to know why it could be bad.

Top Bottom