• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Kerrby

Banned
Choc said:
jetstar has pricejacked their fares after QF grounding.

$329 one way to Melb from Syd

sooooooo, i mean, Jetstar is owned by QF. QF grounds and Jetstar jacks, um, surely this is against fair trading?

Holy shit that is not going to go down well. As someone in the travel industry (almost heh heh), shit is going to go down over this.

Also Liverpool 2 - 0 West Brom :D :D :D

hamchan

Choc said:
Just finished the Battlefield 3 campaign.

I will try to spoiler out specific bits when talking about them but overall, its a bit of a mess. It's clear that they were going for a COD effect with the game but for mine that does not play to battlefields strengths. Battlefields strengths are its vehicles, and these are hardly utilised in the game. In fact so much so, you could call the game something else and you wouldn't think it was a battlefield game at all.

The love affair that DICE has with Call of Duty is beyond ridiculous. Almost every mission can be traced back to a call of duty mission in terms of style or inspiration

it has a
sniper
mission which is a bit like the ones that COD has featured and also has a mission which is definately around the blackbird mission from COD Black Ops. Even the overall presentation of the campaign is somewhat along the lines of black ops. I kept expecting the main character to be asked TELL ME WHAT THE NUMBERS MEAN.

And there were some moments that seriously bored me. It just felt like generic shooter 101 to be honest. There were most definitely missions that got me excited with
the mission in paris
by far being the best one. By FAR. And at times i found it hard to keep track with the story that was going on.

They need to play to their strengths and put in some vehicular based missions where you can control the arsenal from the multiplayer side of the game. Then it will be a battlefield, not call of duty game.

tldr; dice didnt use its strengths of the battlefield franchise in the single player.

Agreed Choc. I also liked
the mission in Paris
. Only thing was that it caused the story to become even more confusing. Like, Blackburn was telling his story in flashbacks but then this
Paris
mission is also a flashback, yet not as far back a flashback as Blackburn's flashbacks. Then later in the game you play as the same guys in the
Paris
flashback except this time it's way before that mission, so it's a bigger flashback than the first time you play as those guys
which caused me to get damn confused because that Vladmir guy died in Paris and I thought he got resurrected or something

Oh yeah, then here's an awesome section where you're another person in a jet for some reason with no relation to the actual story whatsoever YEAH!

Kritz

Banned
reptilescorpio said:
Singularity and Vanquish are 2 for $40 at jb hifi. GO GO GO

Singularity is one of the worst games I've played this year. Completely derivative of Half Life 2, but without any of the polish or care that makes the Half Life series so great. Weapons were underwhelming to shoot, yet after only 2 upgrades to your assault rifle, you could kill nearly every enemy in the game with 1-2 bullets to the torso. You have the option of using iron sights, but it's no more accurate than hip firing, which would be a great thing if the guns were more fun to shoot. The puzzles (I say "puzzles" as a plural, which is a technicality because there are only two of them, they're just duplicated 10 times across the game) are completely shit and just act as a way of trying to be more like Half Life without needing to make a physics engine that handles any more more than ragdolls. Game is not worth $40(+free vanquish) nor the $5 I paid for it last Steam sale.

VDvqv.jpg
Cxe9yl.jpg

5/5 STARS

-

Vanquish is pretty awesome.

AXAjU.jpg

5/5 STARS

BF3 MP is great. Once I finally got my computer tweaked (I'm stuck with my ATI 4870 512MB videocard for the time being) and set everything to low, it's running well enough for me to have playing it.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So the way i've been playing daytona advanced for all these years is incorrect, it seems like the 2 - 3 - 4 method is the fastest one.

I don't want to live anymore.

4gb won't cut it for my slim 360. Anyone have any recommendations of who to buy a 250gb one off ebay. They are all around the same price.

Or alternatively any where else I can get one for a decent price.

Gazunta

evlcookie said:
So the way i've been playing daytona advanced for all these years is incorrect, it seems like the 2 - 3 - 4 method is the fastest one.

I don't want to live anymore.
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

EVERYTHING I KNOW IS WRONG

WHITE IS BLACK

UP IS DOWN

PS3 HAS GAMES

Also, that gif is amazing. I'm gonna file it under Brendan Brewer fan art.

Watching cult movies from the 80's ATM

First Withnail and I (never seen it before). it was ok
2nd Who Dares Wins. Like an extended episode of The Professionals. Which means its awesome

Clipper

Woo! Just saved $40. Turns out the new flights that Virgin put on today made the flight I booked last night a hell of a lot cheaper. Where I had booked $135 last night, it now cost $114 and I qualify for the 20% off, so that makes it $91.

Called Virgin again, the guy said to book the new price, I did while on the phone and then he just asked for both booking numbers and refunded the first then and there. I still get charged the $4.50 booking fee, but I still save about $40 due to that, so woo!

Now, to wait and see whether Qantas starts flying again to determine how much I'll get back when cancelling my Qantas flight on Tuesday.

Clipper

And all worry is gone now. Qantas has extended the effective range for refunds until Wednesday. I just made my claim and there should be no problem getting my money back for the Qantas leg and I have a new Virgin leg which costs me about the same price all up. Only real loss is the frustration and the meal I won't get on the Virgin flight.

Oh, and I get an extra day in Brisbane too... fun :).

Shit, I haven't been here an ages. What's going on GAF?

Still little to no discussion about video games except for Kritz I see.

Salazar said:

Pfft, go here http://www.kingsleys.com.au/brisbane.html

More importantly, I've re subscribed to Gold after canceling my credit card. FallbackPants, add me for a dead weight to drag around in most games.
Also I bought a new PC, meaning I finally thought it was worthwhile getting Steam. So where do I start? What's a good deal beyond playing TF2 repeatedly?

FallbackPants said:
Shit, I haven't been here an ages. What's going on GAF?

Still little to no discussion about video games except for Kritz I see.

Pfft, go here http://www.kingsleys.com.au/brisbane.html

More importantly, I've re subscribed to Gold after canceling my credit card. FallbackPants, add me for a dead weight to drag around in most games.
Also I bought a new PC, meaning I finally thought it was worthwhile getting Steam. So where do I start? What's a good deal beyond playing TF2 repeatedly?
Current steam sale. Vampire bloodlines. Dead Space 2 gifted from the US. THE WITCHER 2 FOR SUPERIOR ROCHE BRODEO.

Also I love RAGE. So damn satisfying. Driving is great too.

Seconapps updated so posting from a Galaxy S2 isnt a chore any more! Yay!

Kerrby

Banned
I'm playing shit combat: the game
the witcher
but I have to say this is game has me hooked. Apart from the shit, god-awful, makes baby jesus cry combat and the awful stuttering, screen tearing and FPS drops; the game is good. The lore is awesome and it reminds me so much of Lord of the Rings Online it's not funny.

Does Witcher 2 has better combat?

Kerrby said:
I'm playing shit combat: the game
the witcher
but I have to say this is game has me hooked. Apart from the shit, god-awful, makes baby jesus cry combat and the awful stuttering, screen tearing and FPS drops; the game is good. The lore is awesome and it reminds me so much of Lord of the Rings Online it's not funny.

Does Witcher 2 has better combat?
Much much different. The new 2.0 patch has some great tweaks too. Best looking game ever. GOTY for me. Rage and deus ex honourable meantions.

Echoplx

If you like the lore you should definitely pick up the books, they are amazing.

Only the first two are in English though, they started translating them after 10 years for some reason.

hamchan

reptilescorpio said:
Mother of god, Rove LA is worse than Jurassic Park 3 and The Matrix 3 combined
I remember I used to like Rove. Then I started watching talk shows with hosts that are actually funny and ask good questions, like Conan, Letterman and Jonathan Ross.

Kerrby

Banned
reptilescorpio said:
Much much different. The new 2.0 patch has some great tweaks too. Best looking game ever. GOTY for me. Rage and deus ex honourable meantions.

Yeah game looks great but is the combat good? The combat in shit combat: the game is awful, I had to look up on YouTube what to do and then I realized it's half automatic and it's timed.

3chopl0x said:
If you like the lore you should definitely pick up the books, they are amazing.

Only the first two are in English though, they started translating them after 10 years for some reason.

First thing that popped into my mind while playing this game was to check out the books. Will I get bored reading them after being spoilt with the game (apart from the combat)?

Grassy said:
It's a steaming pile of Tyrannosaurus shit?
More like steaming pile of whatever fucking retarded dinosaur they chose to use in all tge marketing. what a waste of money. Would have been better spent on a The Fly sequel or handing out copies of the first book to make up for taking the easy route on Lost World and drenching it in cheese.
Bern might have some nice, high res gifs for us though

Books are set before the games kirb. Also the combat in the first game is pretty much guitar hero click click when the thing goes yellow. Change from fast to strong against slow guys, easy win. TW2 is a lot more challenging. I loved it.

hamchan

Kerrby said:
Yeah game looks great but is the combat good? The combat in shit combat: the game is awful, I had to look up on YouTube what to do and then I realized it's half automatic and it's timed.

First thing that popped into my mind while playing this game was to check out the books. Will I get bored reading them after being spoilt with the game (apart from the combat)?
The combat in the Witcher 2 has been described as a mixture between Demon's Souls and Arkham Asylum. The game is way harder than the first too.

Also read the books if you like the game's story. The opening cinematic from the game is an adaptation of a short story from one of the books.

Top Bottom