• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Bernbaum

A while back I volunteered in a study by UQ psychologists into the attention-keeping skills of video game players against non-gamers. It consisted of a series of computer-based experiments that tested my accuracy and response time to visual stimuli. Basically, ASCII letters and shapes would flash on screen in random spots at arrhythmic intervals and I would have to press the appropriate button as quickly as possible.

As fun as it was to contribute to the experiment, the results have since been published and it appears that we’re not special. The researchers still chose to share their non-findings, but the paper is very much a case of ‘we didn’t find anything but want to publish anyway’ which happens quite often in any scientific discipline.

I’m unable to share my copy of the full article but you can read the abstract here.

The release of Skyrim this week (and Saints Row 3 next week) has finally forced me to put some time into setting up my gaming PC with my main living room TV/home theatre setup.

Just popped in to Jaycar and picked up the final two parts I needed (USB extension for 360 controller and toslink female/female adapter to link up a couple of optical audio cables.)

I will one day get a wireless 360 controller dongle thing for my PC but I'm happy with the wired one for now. Speaking of which, can you still buy those things? Where would be the cheapest place to grab one?

hamchan

Omi said:
People are excited for another MW?

Maybe I should finally get around to playing COD4.

Yes, go play it. The GAF arc of CoD pretty much goes:

OMG ITS 2007 AND I LOVE COD4

to

HATE HATE HATE

Salazar

Bernbaum said:
A while back I volunteered in a study by UQ psychologists into the attention-keeping skills of video game players against non-gamers.

I'm glad you participated in this study rather than the one that somehow ended up affirming the hypothesis that video games profoundly inhibit your perception of yourself and others as human, and leave you quite capable of murder.

Danoss

Omikron

RandomVince said:
people are excited for skyrim?

Strangely. Yes.

First time in some time I am actually anticipating a release of a game.

Then I will probably bitch and moan that it is shit and not as good as Morrowind. And then mod it to 'act' like Morrowind.

8)

jambo

Yeah I just checked the patch notes and baby animals were fixed in SMP in pr5.

hamchan said:

to

HATE HATE HATE

CoD4 was new and different. Since then they've just pumped out yearly sequels that are way too safe and very similar.

Not keen for MW3. Forgot it was even coming and watched a multiplayer video. Blergh. Looks like MW2 on steroids which was MW on steroids, so blergh.

I think this is the nail in the coffin for Infinity Ward CODs for me.

EatChildren said:
Mulholland Drive is in my top five. Yay!

Yay!

What's your interpretation of it?

edit: I wonder whose Paris mission will be better, BF or COD. BF's was the best part of the BF campaign (which was pretty shit) so...

Choc

Banned
RandomVince said:
So street date breaks are ok if its not a game you care about, right?

smh

read what i said again

'all stores have it so their is no advantage to anyone by going early'

you just like to be a troll dont you

FWIW, i would prefer MW3 not to break, my point is for some reason with MW3 i dont care :|

edit: Pilon i am quite amazed Activision didn't put an online pass into MW3

Yagharek

But choc what about publisher advertising!?.What if the game is sold out for people who try to buy it later this week!?

These were all issues you raised last week when defending street dates. Forgotten already. Smh.

Deeku

I'll be getting mw3 so I have a go to game for some quick online fun. I was planning to skip it and just settle with UC3 multiplayer, but I'm so crap it that it's not fun at all:/

Choc

Banned
RandomVince said:
But choc what about publisher advertising!?.What if the game is sold out for people who try to buy it later this week!?

These were all issues you raised last week when defending street dates. Forgotten already. Smh.

all fair points. As i said, i prefer it not to break just for the industry as a whole but its about time Activision copped one to be fair ;) They haven't had a break in donkeys (probably because they keep threatening the holdback of COD releases to anyone that does).

I dunno, in a weird mood today vince, guess its this heat ;P

roosters93 said:
Unless they knock it out of the park, I think I'm content to sit back and wait for this one. I was OK with more of the same after COD4 but MW2 didn't even live up to COD4. If MW3 equals or betters COD4, I'm in, otherwise I'll wait for the price drop. In 2013.

I'm not confident my most anticipated game (Assassin's Creed Revelations) is going to live up to previous instalments either. Adding tower defence and crafting and all kinds of other crap just feels like it's going to dilute the game. Give me more skulking and wolf dens or whatever and I'm in... but the series isn't targeted at me so much any more. It's GTA: Medieval now.

hamchan said:
to
HATE HATE HATE
Still love the hell out of COD4. Still a fantastic cinematic experience, holds up well.

Bernbaum said:
As fun as it was to contribute to the experiment, the results have since been published and it appears that we’re not special. The researchers still chose to share their non-findings, but the paper is very much a case of ‘we didn’t find anything but want to publish anyway’ which happens quite often in any scientific discipline.
Maybe if they picked some of the better stock of us gamers the results may have been different. ;)
Very cool idea for a study though, would have been cool if a significant change was found.

RandomVince said:
Where is your faux outrage?!
Choc only cares about Sony exclusives now. ;)

pilonv1 said:
Probably can't play it online yet too.
IW gave the go ahead to play without penalty after someone at Activision sent out a tweet saying people would be banned. Steam won't unlock anyway but 360/PS3 players should be right to go.

roosters93 said:
Not keen for MW3. Forgot it was even coming and watched a multiplayer video. Blergh. Looks like MW2 on steroids which was MW on steroids, so blergh.

Looks fantatic to me. Hopefully Raven got to have a bit of a say in the SP. Will sell fuckloads either way.

Omi said:
More skyrim talk, less COD talk.

Tah.
What is everyone's favourite COD mission?

Mine would be the first mission in the Russian campaign when you get off the boat and run up the hill with nothing but a rifle cartridge in your hand. So cool.

Choc

Banned
so i played sonic generations last night the trial

am i a bad person for wanting this game? is it good in the full game? the trial was quite awesome

is it 2 games in 1? like, you play 1 level in 2d then 3d?

Omikron

reptilescorpio said:

Mine would be the first mission in the Russian campaign when you get off the boat and run up the hill with nothing but a rifle cartridge in your hand. So cool.

The one where the wizard falls from the sky. Amazing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
reptilescorpio said:

That entire Stalingrad sequence from the first Call of Duty is the best in the series.

jambo

Downloaded Sonic Generations over night, GAF seems to be loving it which is a good sign.

reptilescorpio said:

That's definitely my favourite as well, loved the Russian campaign levels.

Choc

Banned
the best mission in COD so far is not really a mission but a sequence

where you wake up in the crashed helicopter in COD 4 and
the nuke goes off

they have never again captured that moment of anguish and shock in a COD game

Deeku

Choc said:

am i a bad person for wanting this game? is it good in the full game? the trial was quite awesome

Gaming says it's good. I watched the quicklook and it looked really fun even if I'm not a sonic fan. I'll buy it when reptile links me to a cheap console copy from ozgameshop :lol

That first Russian COD mission was indeed fantastic. Choc, I'd say the
impromptu rescue mission that happens immediately before it
was just as exciting.

jambo

roosters93 said:
What COD are these Russian missions in? I've only played COD4 and beyond (except WaW).

CoD and CoD2 both feature Soviet campaigns.

You should definitely play them, fantastic games!

Also the MP in CoD and CoD2 is fucking brilliant. None of the perk, kill streak and unlocking bullshit.

Rahk

codswallop said:
I'm not confident my most anticipated game (Assassin's Creed Revelations) is going to live up to previous instalments either. Adding tower defence and crafting and all kinds of other crap just feels like it's going to dilute the game. Give me more skulking and wolf dens or whatever and I'm in... but the series isn't targeted at me so much any more. It's GTA: Medieval now.
It's going to have tower defense? Ugh. Get that shit out of my Assassin's Creed.

Choc said:

Everyone has been showering Generations with good things. Same with Colours as it was fantastic.

Each Act has you play one old style and one new style.

roosters93 said:
What COD are these Russian missions in? I've only played COD4 and beyond (except WaW).
You owe it to yourself to pick up COD1+2 on PC. So damn good. Original uses health packs and perfected the formula started in Allied Assault. COD2 polished the shit out of the mechanics and set the groundwork for what is still being done in MW3.

Rahk said:
It's going to have tower defense? Ugh. Get that shit out of my Assassin's Creed.
Yeah. Exactly. Apparently it's an "evolution" of the Borgia Towers. You have "Assassin Dens" that you have to defend.

The Borgia Towers were, to me, an amazing addition because they still fit in extremely well with Assassin's Creed. There was a guy you had to assassinate and escape. Everything was in plain sight and I really enjoyed them. Tower defence just doesn't seem to fit in with the theme of the game at all.

reptilescorpio said:
You owe it to yourself to pick up COD1+2 on PC. So damn good. Original uses health packs and perfected the formula started in Allied Assault. COD2 polished the shit out of the mechanics and set the groundwork for what is still being done in MW3.

YESYESYES. OMG YES.

Also get CoD: United Offensive. Great fucking expansion and really tests your skills, even on easy.

Salazar

It emerges that the applicant that the UQ VC and Deputy VC let in without adequate qualifications entered Medicine.

Scum. Cock-brained scum. And no finding of misconduct. PR entirely trumps academic ethics.

Salazar

THE University of Queensland has plunged deeper into turmoil amid revelations the state's anti-corruption watchdog is investigating another controversial enrolment at the institution.

The investigation involves claims the husband of an academic at the university was handed an unorthodox enrolment to the School of Dentistry.

Details of the Crime and Misconduct Commission probe emerged just a day after The Courier-Mail revealed that Vice-Chancellor Paul Greenfield and his deputy Michael Keniger were being forced to stand down after an investigation found "irregularities" in the enrolment of a student known to the men.

The CMC probe relates to a separate claim.

And it comes as the revelations cause parents of omitted students to question the university's credibility.

State Education Minister Cameron Dick yesterday urged the university to consider greater accountability.

"Transparency and openness are a vital part of ensuring the public has confidence in the value and integrity of Queensland's higher education sector," he said.

"I hope that the importance of these factors is foremost in the minds of decision-makers as they consider any allegations that have been made."

In the case under CMC investigation it is understood the man granted entry to the School of Dentistry received news of the decision just days before he was due to fly overseas.

A university professor, who would not be named, said the university did have some discretion about who could be admitted. In this case the student had other impressive qualifications, he said.

The CMC is yet to release its findings.

In the case that forced the departure of Prof Greenfield and Prof Keniger, it is understood that entry requirements for a course were relaxed to allow a student to enrol.

As a result, it is believed a number of students who did not achieve sufficiently high scores also had to be allowed entry.

The university yesterday insisted no applicants to the course involved were disadvantaged.

University Secretary Maurie McNarn denied entry criteria had been changed. He said the university had discretion about entry requirements.

Mr McNarn, who is also the director of operations at the St Lucia campus, would not reveal the identity of the student, or the relationship with the two professors.

In a prepared statement he said:

"You have asked questions about the irregularity of an admission that was addressed in the Chancellor's statement.

"As you know, when the matter was raised, the Chancellor (John Story) immediately initiated an independent external investigation by a Senior Counsel.

"The investigation confirmed an irregularity had occurred in the admission process for a student, but there was no finding of misconduct with respect to any individual. Further, the investigation found no suggestions of wrongdoing on the part of the student, whose identity is protected under privacy legislation."

Mr McNarn said a review of special admission requirements was underway.

"As a result of this review, some changes to tighten relevant rules and processes have been recommended and will go to the Senate's legislative committee before being considered by the Senate."

He did not reveal the proposed changes but added: "The University of Queensland, along with every university in Australia, has a special admissions process that provides alternative university entry to students who do not meet all the formal entry requirements."

Mr Story wrote to students and staff yesterday explaining why Prof Greenfield and Prof Keniger fell on their swords.

"Prof Greenfield, as vice-chancellor, and Prof Keniger, as acting vice-chancellor at the time, each accepted, by virtue of their positions, that they had ultimate responsibility and accountability for the irregularity and each offered his resignation," he said.

"The 22-member University Senate, comprising independent members of the community, plus staff, students and alumni representatives, accepted their resignations.

"I am deeply saddened by this matter, which should not have occurred, and I acknowledge that it has caused concern to our UQ community.

"We have taken all necessary steps to preserve the integrity of the university's practices and are committed to providing fair and just opportunities to students and staff alike.

"In addition, the university has undertaken a thorough and extensive review of student admission processes across the university."

Parents of other applicants to the course yesterday said they feared their daughters had missed out on a place because of the matter.

The families of two Brisbane Girls Grammar students who achieved the top tertiary entry score of OP1 but were not admitted to the course demanded the release of the report of the official investigation and to know what "the irregularities" were in the enrolment.

Chancellor Story, who on Friday confirmed the results of the investigation, would not comment yesterday. He also refused to release the report of the investigation.

"It just gets worse and worse," said the mother of one girl.

The families said they had considered - and rejected - pursuing a formal complaint.

"I know I sound like a gutless bastard but my first duty is to protect my children," said one mother.

"Some academics are terrific people, but some are spiteful and I wouldn't trust them not to make trouble in the future."

So fucking disgusted.

Marshmellow said:
This seems really cheap for a 27" monitor but i don't have the knowladge to know if it is good or not, thanks dudes!
It's a low resolution for a monitor that size. Brightness and contrast also both seem quite low. Presumably it's slow so might have some ghosting but that's mainly speculation.

jambo

Top Bottom