• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Kerrby

Banned
Salazar said:
Nope. Welsh.

Which, if one accedes to the wisdom of Peter Sellers and the Goon Show, means that in a sense I hail from South America, Wales having been towed by a canoe armada from that continent around 500 BC.

Are you a woman?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Bernbaum said:
IKEA. The height of manliness.

HUSH!

I already own the table as it was only $10, I want to cut an indent into it for my HP Tablet, as I'm getting the above mentioned bluetooth adaptor for my stereo, so I can put the hp tablet into the coffee table and leave it there, ie during gatherings or what not and it can be there for music playing and be aweosme.

Danoss

HolyCheck said:
anyone here know much about.. manly things?

http://www.ikea.com/aa/en/catalog/products/20193658/ <--- I want to cut an indent into the top of that, dimensions 240 x 190 x 13.7 mm

What would the best way to do this be?

You'd need a plunge router for that. You'd have to set up the boundaries to stop the router from going too far in any direction. You can do this with basic bits of wood or whatever and clamp them to the table while you're routing. You may want to whip up a basic jig out of bits of wood scrap, just glue/screw some together in the correct shape.

As you may not get perfectly square corners due to the nature of routing bits, you'll want a chisel to knock those little bits out.

How smooth that will go, I'm not too sure. That tabletop is likely to be made from particleboard, which may tear out rather easily. It will cost more, but you may be better whipping something up with some cheap pine, staining it and then coating it with some shellac or varnish.

HolyCheck

Danoss said:
You'd need a plunge router for that. You'd have to set up the boundaries to stop the router from going too far in any direction. You can do this with basic bits of wood or whatever and clamp them to the table while you're routing. You may want to whip up a basic jig out of bits of wood scrap, just glue/screw some together in the correct shape.

As you may not get perfectly square corners due to the nature of routing bits, you'll want a chisel to knock those little bits out.

How smooth that will go, I'm not too sure. That tabletop is likely to be made from particleboard, which may tear out rather easily. It will cost more, but you may be better whipping something up with some cheap pine, staining it and then coating it with some shellac or varnish.

Cheers for that, I will look into these terms tomorrow! theres a nice hardware store at the end of my street, family run, I might go have a chat with them next weekend see if they have the tools there I can borrow (or even get them to do it!) they're good like that

Kerrby

Banned
Yoshiya said:
You know, I'm not a naked pixel bear, and I don't imagine you're Kirby.

I've always wanted an asian friend, I just thought seeing he's so into that asian bippity boppy shit he might be asian :(.

Salazar

Rezbit said:
Speaking of beards my stubble is almost into neck-beard territory. Nearly time for the chop chop.

KdbRz.jpg

Empson, my intellectual hero and the chap I'm currently bashing out papers on. But the one thing I wouldn't want to emulate is his beard. The moustache is legit, though.

Dead Man

Danoss said:

Or, if you want to be really manly, you could use a hand saw, hammer and chisel. I don't recommend it though. Lots of work, and easy to screw up.

Uncharted 3 finished.

Ridiculous and incredible, a fantastic way to end the series (if it does turn out to be the last Uncharted).

Hats off to Naughty Dog.

Grassy

Salazar said:
Who here is getting Steam Skyrim ?

I just bought it. I have no need for a physical version with a map and cards etc. Plus I haven't bought many games this year, well not full-priced ones anyway. I got 40-odd games on Steam because I upgraded my PC for the first time in 7 years in May, but they were all from Steam sales so they were ~$10 each or under mostly.

Considering I put well over a hundred hours into Oblivion in vanilla/360 and heavily modded PC guises I think it will be well worth it.

Yagharek

Speaking of games, what are the ones people have bought with the highest game time to cost ratio? (n.b. free games dont count :p)

I think from memory I mustve gotten about 80 hours out of PixelJunk Monsters, and that ran me all of $8 or so.

Omikron

RandomVince said:
Speaking of games, what are the ones people have bought with the highest game time to cost ratio? (n.b. free games dont count :p)

I think from memory I mustve gotten about 80 hours out of PixelJunk Monsters, and that ran me all of $8 or so.
FM or Civ. Easily.

Dead Man

RandomVince said:

If I had bought one copy of it, it would have been FO3, but I bought that damn thing 4 times LOL. Probably Falcon4. Got it for $25 when a local game store was closing down in about 98. Played almost nothing else for almost 2 years. I miss being able to get that deep into a sim.

Shaneus

Fuck. For some reason this thread has really fucking got to me. Hence my absence from this thread for the last hour or so, I've been reading through it and trying to formulate a response that appropriately encapsulates my anger and frustration with the OP. Still not happy with it.

HolyCheck

Shaneus said:
Fuck. For some reason this thread has really fucking got to me. Hence my absence from this thread for the last hour or so, I've been reading through it and trying to formulate a response that appropriately encapsulates my anger and frustration with the OP. Still not happy with it.

I told some one to get out of my apartment because he said two and a half men was funnier than community.

Rezbit

Shaneus said:

That same poster also created that great thread on gaming: "After playing Portal 2, Ico seems terrible."

Grassy

Shaneus said:

Your post in that thread is awesome. Fuck that guy.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
I enjoyed 2 and .5 men more than what I have seen of Community...
To the bonfire for you, good sir. Joan of Arc-style.

Grassy said:
Your post in that thread is awesome. Fuck that guy.
Thanks! People like that just really fucking get my goat. Only thing I don't like is how much it got to me... probably to the point where it'll take a little while longer to get to sleep tonight :(

Now that you've had ample time to enjoy your Uncharwhatevers you should all consider picking up Sonic Generations. It's fantastic, a great combination of a reasonable approximation of the original gameplay and the culmination of everything Sonic Team have been polishing and refining since Unleashed.

If you like the old games and gleaned even the slightest bit of enjoyment from Unleashed or Colours you owe it to yourself to play this game.

Salazar

I look down on people who consciously deprive others of cultural, intellectual, and aesthetic experiences. "Look down on" is putting it terribly mildly. I have a bilious disgust, for example, for the university administration that is about to cut an entire century out of the undergraduate literary syllabus, save for Jane Austen. I would feel a bit pathetic feeling anything stronger than a preference regarding what people do for themselves; it seems fatuous, overbearing, and pompous to perceive an obligation rather than an opportunity.

The OP is a bit of a twerp. It's irritating to encounter that attitude. I recall being told that you were a "beggar on the streets of world literature" unless you had command of Greek, Latin, and Hebrew*. Some people lose touch with the pleasure principle, or at least with the fact that other people hold and experience it.

*I would happily have punched his face into a new shape, but I would have lost a fight, possibly some teeth, some friends, and some career opportunities.

Jintor said:
You can't let my secret out!
Twitter outed you my friend. Also your journalism career.

Fusebox said:
Lol, I hope you aren't suggesting that because you feel Community is a culturally superior show. :p
Shaneus is always acting like a superior douchebag around here, say one good thing about Vettel and you will never hear the end of it. ;)

Box of Bunnies said:
If you like the old games and gleaned even the slightest bit of enjoyment from Unleashed or Colours you owe it to yourself to play this game.
It is also Super Cheap Auto from GMG, $25 for master race edition with HD grafics and 60fps!!! Make sure to use the 15% off coupon on the front page!!!

Yagharek

Shaneus said:

One of the greatest films of all time is Kung Fu Panda. Just saying.

Shaneus

Fusebox said:
Agreed, I think 'categorically' is probably a more apt term.
True. It's late and I'm tired, though. I tend to get more passionate about certain things in this state, though unfortunately I also get less coherent ;)
reptilescorpio said:
Shaneus is always acting like a superior douchebag around here, say one good thing about Vettel and you will never hear the end of it. ;)
Pfft. Single me out for being a douchebag about that, why don't you?

I mean, there's so many more characteristics to choose from!

RandomVince said:
Say no more. Wasn't too jazzed with the sequel (not horrible, but not a patch on the first) but adored the first. To think that it all started as a kind-of tech demo.

Jintor

reptilescorpio said:
Twitter outed you my friend. Also your journalism career.

Nuts!

RandomVince said:

I did like the animation sequence midway through it, and I thought the overall film was alright.

RandomVince said:
The animation is just mindblowing, so glad they went through with doing a sequel too. The first videogame isn't too bad either, they recreated the animation really well.

Rewatched Aladdin yesterday with the kid. Still damn good. The Lion King doesn't hold up as well as I had hoped. It is all magic when Timon & Pumba are on screen though.

Milo & Otis is another movie that always brings a tear to my eye. Might not show that one to the kid until he is much older and can cope with the heartache.

Shaneus said:
Pfft. Single me out for being a douchebag about that, why don't you?

I mean, there's so many more characteristics to choose from!
I couldn't think of anything else!

Tntnnbltn

Rock Band 3 + Guitar + Headphones = Rock Band all-nighter.

7 songs with gold stars on bass, woohoo.

And >$100 spent on DLC. Am I doing it right?

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
I could. Ergo:
Me > You

So anyway, I reckon half the reason I'd want to have a kid is to show him all the awesome stuff that I grew up with that came out decades before he did (so to speak). First port of call would be Wallace and Gromit, I think.

Rezbit

reptilescorpio said:
The animation is just mindblowing, so glad they went through with doing a sequel too. The first videogame isn't too bad either, they recreated the animation really well.

Rewatched Aladdin yesterday with the kid. Still damn good. The Lion King doesn't hold up as well as I had hoped. It is all magic when Timon & Pumba are on screen though.

Milo & Otis is another movie that always brings a tear to my eye. Might not show that one to the kid until he is much older and can cope with the heartache.

Wow, I think Lion King holds up WAY better than Aladdin. Aladdin is really crusty now :(

Milo and Otis :'( :'( I watched this again a couple of years go, and man it still got to me. Probably even more so as an adult, having all those experiences of having gained and lost friends and partners...god damn.

Top Bottom