• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Kritz

Banned
ausgaf8czn5.png

I'm not sure how to stick avatars into that thing so someone else can do a cool avatar thing.

Shaneus

RandomVince said:
No, I'll admit that I wasnt clear to begin with. I'll try re-state my view in a concise manner.

1. The industry/people within are always talking about x/y/z hurts the games industry. Usually x = used games, y = piracy, z = street date breaking

2. Publishers have forgotten two key points:
a) Not every game needs a $50 million budget
b) Not every game needs to be a carbon copy of the last big hit (ie CoD or GTA)

3. Publishers went out of their way this gen to support the mega-budget, expensive to produce high def market. This entailed far more risk with each game due to the investment, which in turn led to the increased emphasis on high review scores and the emergence of metacritic as the be-all and end-all. Which is why 8/10 is so controversial.

4. Low end, affordable platforms were abandoned by the largest publishers. They actively walked away from the immense PS2 userbase. They actively avoided the Wii platform from day one, occasionally providing contrived "test games". They ignored PSP completely after 2007. They barely acknowledged the existence of DS. And they wonder why so many studios went broke? They ignored all up a combined active userbase approaching 200 million people.

I can think of only one Wii exclusive (this gen) publisher that went belly up, and that was Cing. I could probably name ten HD exclusives that died and I know that would be understating it. But Free Radical, Factor 5, Grin, Team Bondi are all that come to mind right now.

Who do I blame for this? EA. Activision. Take 2. THQ. Warner. Ubisoft. Capcom. The same lot who always cry foul when x/y/z apparently "hurts the industry" when they are the self same ones doing the most damage.
I was waiting for you to prove your point so then I could be all "how do you explain THIS?" then you clarified it all perfectly. I shouldn't have expected anything less ;)
VOOK said:
I know, I'm in this one. :p

Maybe it will street date break and I'll get it today :p

02c3D.jpg

^-- Includes genius.
What the FUCK happened to their logo? Damn, that looks horrible.

I'm sure you look good in it though, Vooky ;)
Choc said:
Games that broke street date in 2011

Batman
RAGE
Skyrim
Dead Island
Dead Space 2
Little Big Planet 2
Test Drive Unlimited
Homefront
Deus Ex

Pretty much every major game that was released since september has broken its date bar MW3 and a little bit of UC3

its ridiculous.
Forza 4 didn't, and it is one of the biggest 360 exclusives this year (perhaps the biggest, depending on how Halo Anniv. fares). Or did you so conveniently forget since you scored a fucking review copy before I got my retail one?
VOOK said:
Street Dates face a whole different beast with Nintendo next week, heres where a break could REALLY fuck up something for us. Nintendo Japan fucking HATE it when it happens. We'll back in the dark ages for release dates.
Sure they wouldn't just use that as an excuse if that does happen? Oh whoops, those convicts broke by 10 minutes. Time to start delaying shit again!
RandomVince said:
Secondly - if I bought a local PS3 copy of Portal 2 and have no interest in the steam version of the game it comes with, is there any way to gift it to someone?
Sure.
Step 1: PM me the code.

;)

RandomVince said:
I know someone who got an N64 a week before release. Ordered it on kmart, asked to put it on layby. Came back to the store after lunch and paid off his layby and walked out with it. Obviously because they wrapped it up in black plastic, no-one working there knew what it was or when it was on sale.
That's pretty sly. Fucking genius, actually.

A Rancher?

EatChildren said:
Recycling assets isn't new. I don't see anybody complaining about Mario Galaxy 2.
You should've seen the GT5 vs Forza 2/3/4 thread when it was revealed about the GT4/PSP copypasta. I loved it.
VOOK said:
HN deny breaking Skyrim

https://twitter.com/#!/HarveyNormanAU
Was that your proof? I'm not questioning you, just curious whether it was that or you had some other kind of info.

BanShunsaku said:
Louis CK? You have fantastic taste in stand up comedians.
Love you.
PS. He made an appearance on Conan in NYC this week. Hunt it down. Louis CK was one of the first writers for Late Night with Conan, hired by Conan himself.
BanShunsaku said:
Love you.
BanShunsaku said:
Sogood.gif

Nick Rivers is Val Kilmer's best work!

I know a little German.
he's sitting over there

(not one of his lines but I love it)
<3 U

Shaneus

Choc said:
Forza broke on the wed
No, you got your review copy then. And some other places. But not where I was buying mine, ergo it didn't break at all.

Jintor said:
It's just the "Japanese-y" font. [I make no statements as to whether I actually like it or not]
Ah. It's been a long time since I'd laid eyes on Hyper, I wasn't sure if it was permanent or not.

Clipper

Here's some statistics for you... Looking at the first 20000 posts of each thread (and assuming we hit 20000 on Sunday), here's the approximate lifetimes of AusGAF's regenerations:

AusGAF: 611 days - 1y 8m 1d
AusGAF 2.0: 245 days - 8m 2d
AusGAF 3.0: 137 days - 4m 15d
AusGAF 4.0: 72 days - 2m 11d

(AusGAF actually lasted another 7 months beyond the specified date, but that's because it didn't get closed until it hit 33k)

Now, plotting the above data, and adding a logarithmic trend line, we get:
lifetime.png

We should be finished with AusGAF 5/5 in just over a month (34 days according to the line).

We'll also be starting AusGAF 7 in early 2012 and the day of the 19th of January will see at least AusGAF 11 through to AusGAF 3000 all being completed (I stopped dragging the columns in Excel at this point...)

Shaneus said:
Love you.
PS. He made an appearance on Conan in NYC this week. Hunt it down. Louis CK was one of the first writers for Late Night with Conan, hired by Conan himself.

I love listening to old stories about the writers of Late Night back in the day. If you haven't already, you should check out Marc Maron's WTF podcast, heaps of great interviews with fantastic comedians.

Starburns for example used to write for Late Night with Conan.

Maybe we need some sort of chat thing rather than a thread, or be allowed to continue after 20,000 posts? I have a feeling the mods are going to get annoyed if they keep needing to sticky new threads.

Kritz

Banned
shanshan310 said:
Maybe we need some sort of chat thing rather than a thread, or be allowed to continue after 20,000 posts? I have a feeling the mods are going to get annoyed if they keep needing to sticky new threads.

Yeah it'd be great if AusGAF had some kind of chat.

:(

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
You can also use that lovely graph to point out how shitty the threads have become since the original. It's been a steady decline all the way!

trinest

To be fair though if Skyward Sword did break and we got sent back to the dark ages of release dates, its not that bad- Nintendo hasn't got any games lined up anyway.

Omi said:

Saw this yesterday. Re-using shit is fine but they could have at least tried to not make it obvious.

hamchan said:
It's more unwise and inefficient to not copy buildings that no one really remembers anyways.

So many negatives! This means it's wise and efficient to copy buildings that no one really remembers anyways right?

Jintor said:
Top 20!

Who Posted?
Total Posts: 19,019
User Name Posts

Jintor 1,202
Choc 1,111
reptilescorpio 1,062
RandomVince 955
jambo 873
DeathJr 824
Shaneus 763
commanderdeek 620
Omi 606
midonnay 495
Salazar 468
HolyCheck 440
codswallop 428
Fredescu 406
3chopl0x 402
Gazunta 401
BanShunsaku 399
Dead Man 393
roosters93 369
evlcookie 365

I MADE IT

happy dance time

YYNGm.gif

Omikron

Officially had to drop the kids cot today due to him thinking standing up in it was a great idea. That isn't something you should be doing at 7 months ffs :x

He isn't really a 'baby' anymore I guess :(

Shaneus

BanShunsaku said:
I love listening to old stories about the writers of Late Night back in the day. If you haven't already, you should check out Marc Maron's WTF podcast, heaps of great interviews with fantastic comedians.

Starburns for example used to write for Late Night with Conan.
Who exactly is Marc Maron? I'll check his wiki, but I can only assume he was some kind of comedian/writer "back in the day"?

And on that top posters list... just imagine how many posts reptile would have if he actually visited here more frequently and didn't multiquote so much? We'd already be in AusGAF 5/5

evlcookie said:
You can also use that lovely graph to point out how shitty the threads have become since the original. It's been a steady decline all the way!
Maybe in AusGAF 7.8 (that's the name, btw) you'll have asked out several PT girls and then the threads will have actually made some progress ;)

Shaneus said:
Who exactly is Marc Maron? I'll check his wiki, but I can only assume he was some kind of comedian/writer "back in the day"?

He's an American comedian, very popular with comedy "nerds".

He does a fantastic podcast twice a week where he interviews mostly comedians and actors in his garage.

If you're a fan of Community, he did a great interview with the creator Dan Harmon a couple of months ago. He's also done episodes with Conan, Louis CK, etc etc.

Here is a list of episodes

And the website

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If that graph is anything to go by, AusGAF will need to be it's own forum soon.

Jintor

I wonder if ciggie stuff would be more effective if it was just a guy with a packet of cigarettes in his hand and he just goes "Remember how fucking painful coughing is? And how disgusting they taste? And how much money you're spending? Oh, and you're probably going to die earlier. Seriously. Think about it."

trinest

shanshan310 said:
I don't have anything against plain packaging, but I don't think its going to make people stop and think "I guess I shouldn't buy this after all" anymore than the designs they have now do.
You don't even see the product packaging until you finish the transaction and have the product these days. So what is the point.

Choc

Banned
Jintor said:
Can you scrawl "The Ausgaf Copy" under Drake's Deception?

i like this idea :)

yes the idea guys is that when legned finishes it it gets passed on like UC2

so we have a community copy of Uc3 :)

Top Bottom