• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

jambo

Choc said:
the problem is the retailers (EB especially) has changed their attitude

breaks used to only occur locally, not nationally but for some reason EB and GAME have changed to an attitude of 1 docket means national break. Thats when shit got serious.

So the real problem is social media!

trinest said:
It had totoro in it!

(animation wise pff to all those movies expecially HTTYD- pff)

what does pff mean?

ClivePwned said:
Well, i loved BC2 and love BF3 but I can't see what's different about the multi in BF3 (apart from jets) that makes BF3 any more of a Battlefield game than BC or BC2. The only major difference in experience (SP aside) is that BC2 ran beautifully on my machine and the same rig can only play BF3 on low everything.

MW3 runs a hell of a lot better on the same machine. Upgrading is not happening just at the moment.

To me this just comes across as salty that BF3's new Frostbite 2 Engine is pretty and has great graphics while favoring the fact MW3 uses the same old engine barely updated.

3chopl0x said:
Are your DeathJr?

Hopefully my Death will be senior.

teekun

Choc said:
also overseas you don't see people going rabbid refreshing message boards looking for that 1 docket

we have got to a point in australia where its expected to break and that is so bad. I personally believe today was co-ordinated by EB/Game and they are a bunch of cunts who only give a shit about themselves.

People want worldwide release dates and whinge australia gets games 2 days late

HELLo

stop fucking breaking worldwide dates then........
Yeah I've been trying to think of times when I still lived in the US and was anticipating being able to get a new game early, and I can't think of a single time it was expected. At most, I had to call around to make sure the shipment had come in for the day it was supposed to come out, since that wasn't always 100% guaranteed.

Of course, this was 4+ years ago so plenty has probably changed since then. Street dates are much more of a common occurrence, for example.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Jintor said:
Really? Nintendo would take a Skyward Sword break lying down?

No of course not, it would be embarrassing to them and Nintendo Japan would still crack the shits. It won't change anything though.

Mario Kart 7 though they're trying this whole 'global release' thing. If it gets stuffed up, count on that never happening again.

Yagharek

It's a bit rich to be complaining about street date breaks when games here are overpriced by 100% of the US/UK prices.

So if local distributors dont like street date breaks, they can, quite frankly, suck it.

Clipper

VOOK said:
No of course not, it would be embarrassing to them and Nintendo Japan would still crack the shits. It won't change anything though.

Mario Kart 7 though they're trying this whole 'global release' thing. If it gets stuffed up, count on that never happening again.
Which is really bad as the local retailers don't seem to care that much about global releases, so they'll have no qualms about breaking date if they can. Most consumers don't care either, they just want it early, not concerned about what that means for the future.

And I guess I'm part of the problem too as an importer...

Choc

Banned
teekun said:
Yeah I've been trying to think of times when I still lived in the US and was anticipating being able to get a new game early, and I can't think of a single time it was expected. At most, I had to call around to make sure the shipment had come in for the day it was supposed to come out, since that wasn't always 100% guaranteed.

Of course, this was 4+ years ago so plenty has probably changed since then. Street dates are much more of a common occurrence, for example.

you can't because gamestop generally gets their stock on the day of sale

we will have that in AU in 2012

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
VOOK said:
If Skyward Sword/Super Mario break we'll be alright. But if Mario Kart 7 breaks, we'll never get a Nintendo game again on time.

All we need is Skyward Sword to break heinously early (like, tomorrow early) and someone to leak it and we'll never get a Nintendo game again.

Yagharek

Here's a question. Two actually.

If I import a UK PS3 game, can I redeem any associated codes on it in the AU PSN store?

Secondly - if I bought a local PS3 copy of Portal 2 and have no interest in the steam version of the game it comes with, is there any way to gift it to someone?

VOOK

Clipper said:
Which is really bad as the retailers don't seem to care that much about global releases, so they'll have no qualms about breaking date if they can. Most consumers don't care either, they just want it early, not concerned about what that means for the future.

And I guess I'm part of the problem too as an importer...

When Harry Potter came out, did a copy of the book leak ANYWHERE? Did someone sell it? Did extracts come out? Did a ma and pa shop sell it early? Nope.

People are going to always want stuff as early as they can, this industry just has to take a step back and realize what these date breaks will do in the in the long run.

Importing is another kettle of fish, if everyone sticks to their dates and they have globalized dates then importing becomes irrelevant.

Game companies don't care about private importers, only when it's Gametraders selling early.

EatChildren said:
All we need is Skyward Sword to break heinously early (like, tomorrow early) and someone to leak it and we'll never get a Nintendo game again.

Oh yeah if it broke now, even a week before it would be chaos. Even worse if they go and upload it to the internet last that last guy.

teekun

Choc said:
you can't because gamestop generally gets their stock on the day of sale

we will have that in AU in 2012
Right, and I remember that pretty clearly. I think the only significant game I got early was MGS2 and that was after getting a call at about 7pm the night before release to say they had just gotten their shipment in.

So is the only reason it's not already done that way the geography of Australia?

Deeku

I remember like 10 years ago, Toys R Us called me 2 days before the official release of the GBA saying I could pick it up straight away. It was a great day, but then I had to listen to the annoying screams of toad.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
VOOK said:
When Harry Potter came out, did a copy of the book leak ANYWHERE? Did someone sell it? Did extracts come out? Did a ma and pa shop sell it early? Nope.

People are going to always want stuff as early as they can, this industry just has to take a step back and realize what these date breaks will do in the in the long run.

Importing is another kettle of fish, if everyone sticks to their dates and they have globalized dates then importing becomes irrelevant.

Game companies don't care about private importers, only when it's Gametraders selling early.

Oh yeah if it broke now, even a week before it would be chaos. Even worse if they go and upload it to the internet last that last guy.

Errr just incase I'm not getting the sarcasm.. you might want to remove that line if you think it true.

Harry Potter books DID leak online.. I remember combing a copy days before it came out just so I could post spoilers on my facebook.

VOOK

HolyCheck said:
Errr just incase I'm not getting the sarcasm.. you might want to remove that line if you think it true.

Harry Potter books DID leak online.. I remember combing a copy days before it came out just so I could post spoilers on my facebook.

Not all of them though, especially the earlier ones before eBooks took off and digital copies existed.

Yagharek

I know someone who got an N64 a week before release. Ordered it on kmart, asked to put it on layby. Came back to the store after lunch and paid off his layby and walked out with it. Obviously because they wrapped it up in black plastic, no-one working there knew what it was or when it was on sale.

Jintor

RandomVince said:
Here's a question. Two actually.

If I import a UK PS3 game, can I redeem any associated codes on it in the AU PSN store?

Secondly - if I bought a local PS3 copy of Portal 2 and have no interest in the steam version of the game it comes with, is there any way to gift it to someone?

I think with the Steam game trading thing you may be able to do such a thing. I don't know if you can wholesale gift games that you have without trading for something though.

Deeku

Nah I think you need to link your psn to steam account or something, and they can't be played at the same time.

I still need to get Portal 2:/

teekun

RandomVince said:
It really depends on the game. Sometimes the DLC is compatible but the codes aren't, sometimes both aren't, sometimes both are. You're really best off creating a dummy UK account and using that to redeem codes. There's no harm in it at all, and any content installed on your system will work while logged into any account.

jambo

VOOK said:
Not all of them though, especially the earlier ones before eBooks took off and digital copies existed.

The earlier ones came out in the late 90s. I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty confident that way less games were being leaked in that period.

VOOK

jambo said:
The earlier ones came out in the late 90s. I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty confident that way less games were being leaked in that period.

It depending on who you knew back then, having mates who owned a gaming store and would 'give' you games early was fun.

HolyCheck said:
I had a copy that was hand photocopied... dont need to be ebooks :p

LOL

Clipper

EatChildren said:
Uh, but that's exactly what happened with New Super Mario Bros Wii.

Which resulted in a million dollar fine to the Aussie who was stupid enough to post his receipt online before leaking the game to 'scene guys who said they wouldn't give it to others', but it still already happened and we're still getting games.

jambo

VOOK said:
It depending on who you knew back then, having mates who owned a gaming store and would 'give' you games early was fun.

Same thing happened with other media though. Family friends owned a VHS/DVD rental store and I can remember getting heaps of movies way before they were slated to come out.

VOOK

Clipper said:

Which resulted in a million dollar fine to the Aussie who was stupid enough to post his receipt online before leaking the game to 'scene guys who said they wouldn't give it to others', but it still already happened and we're still getting games.

It's not that simple. Dick Smith copped the brunt for that but other things happened.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
HolyCheck said:

What a dick move. :|

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Clipper said:

That was my joke, in that if it happens again it's all over maaan.

Clipper

commanderdeek said:
Nah I think you need to link your psn to steam account or something, and they can't be played at the same time.

I still need to get Portal 2:/
You can play PC vs. PS3 same time with one copy of PS3 Portal 2. You just need to use a different account on the PS3 and Steam than the one you unlocked the PC game with. Like with me, I unlocked my PC copy using my own PS3 account and own Steam account, but when my friend wanted to play co-op with me, we created a new PS3 account on my PS3 for him and linked that to his Steam account so the PS3 could play online, then I played him from my own Steam account.

jambo

I didn't actually end up reading them, I left that job up to Stephen Fry.

*swoons*

teekun said:
Facebook was a thing back then? I thought that was MySpace era.

Last one only came out 4 years ago.

Rezbit

HolyCheck said:

You've entered a whole new world of dickitude Mr Check!

Also went to Hobart HNs to get PC Skyrim. No stock in Southern Tas Harvey's lol. Went to EB and had a squizz. Selling for $90. No dice. Wouldn't price match. Girl in shop pretty much looked at me like, "Problem, sir?"

Deeku

Clipper said:
You can play PC vs. PS3 same time with one copy of PS3 Portal 2. You just need to use a different account on the PS3 and Steam than the one you unlocked the PC game with. Like with me, I unlocked my PC copy using my own PS3 account and own Steam account, but when my friend wanted to play co-op with me, we created a new PS3 account on my PS3 for him and linked that to his Steam account so the PS3 could play online, then I played him from my own Steam account.
:eek:

I'll keep that in mind for when I get a copy, thanks clip!

jambo

commanderdeek said:
:eek:

I'll keep that in mind for when I get a copy, thanks clip!

Also the PC-PS3 crossplay is fucking awesome. Me and Clipper did the entire co-op campaign and then re-did a bunch of it to 100% it and it was all super smooth and perfect the whole time.

Jintor

Rezbit said:
You've entered a whole new world of dickitude Mr Check!

Also went to Hobart HNs to get PC Skyrim. No stock in Southern Tas Harvey's lol. Went to EB and had a squizz. Selling for $90. No dice. Wouldn't price match. Girl in shop pretty much looked at me like, "Problem, sir?"

Did they give a reason why they weren't price-matching? Did they advertise themselves as price matching? From memory I don't think they are.

jambo

Omi said:
The '1' sign outside is gone...

Why I oughta!

HKKLPm.jpg

Rezbit said:
OMG. How long until this series is run into the ground a la Tony Hawks/Guitar Hero?

Unfortunately it was revealed today that CoD Blops is close to becoming the first game to sell over 15 million copies in the US. I can definitely see MW3 going on to beat that =[

hamchan

Choc said:
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

thats what happens when infinity ward is fucked in the arse and the project is in trouble

Don't a lot of games copy and paste buildings? I'm sure plenty of BF3's buildings are copy and pasted from BC2. It's more unwise and inefficient to not copy buildings that no one really remembers anyways.

Top Bottom