• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Kerrby

Banned
FnKnr.png

IGN gave a high profile release a 10? brb pre-ordering!

DeathJr said:
Didn't you know about the infamous 2 / jb hifi trade in exploit? I'm sure I saw it posted here..
JB pulled the deal at about midday after everyone and their mum came in with Infamous 2. I'm sure they also had a few people flaunt it in their face at the register.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
DeathJr said:
Didn't you know about the infamous 2 / jb hifi trade in exploit? I'm sure I saw it posted here..

Probably, I just wanted to get you to admit to buying russian keys.

welcome back.

reptilescorpio said:
I missed you Death! Hope you learnt your lesson!

Well, it was a stupid thing to get banned over. I image I posted had a broken link (copy paste error). So it looked like an empty post. I was fixing it and within seconds I was banned...like a mod was stalking my every move. Was it you EATCHILDREN? :p

In any case, it was good because in those 2 weeks I finished BF3, Resistance 3, Uncharted 3 and almost done with MW3.

Kerrby

Banned
DeathJr said:
Well, it was a stupid thing to get banned over. I image I posted had a broken link (copy paste error). So it looked like an empty post. I was fixing it and within seconds I was banned...like a mod was stalking my every move. Was it you EATCHILDREN? :p

Didn't you say you got banned for a necro bump? Why are you lying?

Death get yourself the imgur extension for Chrome/Firefox so you can rehost all your images that you will be linking.

Also High School Of The Dead is a terrible localisation. In an awesome way.

Watch a bunch of people get eaten, run to tell the class, say in a flat emotionless voice; "I am not making this shit up."

reptilescorpio said:
JB pulled the deal at about midday after everyone and their mum came in with Infamous 2. I'm sure they also had a few people flaunt it in their face at the register.

They did it the next day (i'm sure because I went again to get another copy for my friend). It was hilarious. Went into JB, picked up infa2 and price matched it with HN for $45. Tore off the plastic, traded it in for MW3 and walked out like a boss laughing at others paying full price.

HolyCheck said:
welcome back.

Thanks. If you've got a PS3 I can lend you MW3. I now work in Fitzroy too you know.

Kerrby said:
Didn't you say you got banned for a necro bump? Why are you lying?

It looked like a necro bump cause that SSF4 thread got bumped to the top, and I never noticed that the previous post was a few months old. Partly my fault I guess....but banned in a matter of seconds? Jeez...

reptilescorpio said:
Death get yourself the imgur extension for Chrome/Firefox so you can rehost all your images that you will be linking.

Already have that, the pic I was posting was from picasa and I didn't copy the link properly.

HolyCheck said:
Probably, I just wanted to get you to admit to buying russian keys.

Russian keys? Don't use Steam. Anyhow, what's the issue with russian keys?

Shaneus

EatChildren said:
Skyrim is unequivocally a console first game. Every asset, every design, made first and foremost for consoles. Hence why I'll be waiting for a price drop/sale later on, when modders have cleaned up Bethesda's mess.
You'd think that Bethesda, a company fucking ROOTED in PC history, would know better. I'm not at all getting Skyrim, but shit like that makes my fucking blood boil. Know your roots, cunts.

PS. Looks like I'll be buying my first Hyper for at least (I think) a decade. Does the cover disc come with all or is it limited?

PPS. Your little man looks like a jolly fellow, reptile. If my sister and BIL ever trust me with my nephews, we should definitely let them hang out.

Double ep of The League! Woo!
And History Channel South Park? What did I do to deserve this holy batman?!?

DeathJr said:
Russian keys? Don't use Steam. Anyhow, what's the issue with russian keys?
Read the sticky thread in Gaming. Just a no-no on GAF now. Some keys might be stolen and in any case your Steam account might get banned or the game banned. Best not to talk people into buying something that may backfire.

Fogz

reptilescorpio said:

So does that mean I can now buy one of their many copies of Infamous 2 for like 10 bucks? :p

Also someone make JB Hi Fi open out this way....

The most irritating thing about Japanese developers this generation has been the lack of post-release support for games compared to European or Western developers. Capcom have been great at nickel & diming us as much as they can (along with the repackagings) but even one of my favourite developers Suda51 has missed a lot of opportunities to add value to his games and reputation. SotD was screaming out for a New Game+ mode, or at least a chapter select. If I want to get all the red gems I shouldn't have to restart the whole game if I miss one, that kind of gameplay mechanic should not exist in the current climate of games. Imagine if Skyward Sword had an extra dungeon released 3 months after it comes out for $10. Rather than waiting another 4 years for a Zelda title you can have another taste of the series.

Fogz said:
So does that mean I can now buy one of their many copies of Infamous 2 for like 10 bucks? :p

Also someone make JB Hi Fi open out this way....
lol I would expect them to still sell them at $60 like EB do. Picked up a copy of Rock Band Beatles today for $10 from KMart, got offered $6 at EB. Saw a copy on the pre-owned shelf for $50...

Also War in the North on PC and AC Revelations on 360 have both leaked to pirates ffs. Irritating that people who do the wrong thing and don't give any money to the industry can play them but I still can't. Hopefully it is a sign of how popular the LOTR game is and it sells pretty good on PC (IF it is a decent port, I like Snowblind so I hope they didn't drop the ball with this one).

Yagharek

OK, up to ch20 in UC3 now. Seems to have gotten better combat wise but all my complaints still stand. Bad platforming. There's only so many times a ladder/piece of iron/wall can crumble and fall but DRAKE STILL CLINGS ON - JUST! PHEW THAT WAS A CLOSE CALL! - before the spectacle wears off. In fact, I recall strongly disliking Enslaved because it pulled the same bullshit all the fucking time.

UC3 has a lot of Halo 3 about it. A weak entry to the series.

Although I dont hate it, it's just not up to par with the high expectations UC2 created.

Salazar said:
I have it. It's pretty fucken good.

It's crashed three times so far, though.

I dont get this?

edit: a 10 for Zelda in ign means nothing. Edge already gave it 10, and at least they mark consistently. IGN devalued their review score system back in 1998 by being fuckwits.

Danoss

Shaneus said:
You'd think that Bethesda, a company fucking ROOTED in PC history, would know better. I'm not at all getting Skyrim, but shit like that makes my fucking blood boil. Know your roots, cunts.
I completely agree. Unfortunately, this seems like a trend. More money is to be made by making games on consoles too, so they switch and prioritise their efforts there, leaving the people who helped make them who they are, high and dry.

PC, especially now, is extremely welcoming to newer, smaller companies with something to offer. It seems that it is being turned into a springboard for them to jump platforms with a higher barrier of entry. Not many companies that began on PC are left that remember their roots and that is sad.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Zelda meltdowns were weak and should have been better/worse. Meh. At least Unfarted delivered.

Yagharek

Cave Story 3D review is up at Eurogamer

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-11-cave-story-3d-review

When reading a great book you can vividly picture the events, almost like a memory, but when you play a great game it's different. Things are not so fixed. Interaction isn't just what your fingers do, but what the mind creates from hints and atmosphere: it turns an enemy into a nemesis, darkness into a ghost house, or three animation frames and a text box into the death of a friend. This is such a game, a world that invites your imagination to lose itself, and becomes so much bigger in the process.
Pixel was once asked about Cave Story's origins. "In the beginning," he answered, "I made it just to make it." You can tell.

Make sure you remember to pick it up with Skyward Sword and Mario 3D Land, peoples. <3

EatChildren said:
Zelda meltdowns were weak and should have been better/worse. Meh. At least Unfarted delivered.

I have a theory as to why: Ocarina of Time exists. It came out when review aggregators were new or nonexistent. It since managed to claim the #1 ranking and regularly becomes something of a legend in gaming history.

Edge issue 200 had a list of the best games to play today. It came in at #1. In issue 150 they did a special top 100 games magazine. It came in at #1. The game is basically review proof these days, and thus serves as a target for all other big budget, huge hype megablockbuster games. After all, who doesnt want to beat the #1 team, or the team that appears to be #1.

(This is all notwithstanding the point that there are probably a dozen or so games that would have an equal claim to being just as good or even better than OOT).

So gaf/internet meltdowns are always going to happen when highly anticipated games get the odd 9/10 or 8.5/10 review score. No game is ever going to hit that #1 ranking, in all likelihood. It's just unattainable in the current climate.

So the lack of Zelda meltdowns probably just comes down to the fact that the staunchest fans already have a claim to holding the top mantle. The "second best" Zelda game is still going to be worthwhile anyway.

Jintor

I'm certainly enjoying Skyrim. This bodes ill for my 24-hour take-home exam on Sunday and my 3-hour oh-god-i'm-doomed examination on Tuesday.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
EatChildren said:

I apologise for calming Yoshichan down outside of the thread.. but I couldn't see him banned in the Zelda thread.. sc2 needs him!

Fredescu

RandomVince said:
Umm, 8.8 was Twilight Princess.

Your theory is that meltdowns over Skyward Sword didn't happen because Ocarina of Time is the top of the pops already, right? It was also top of the pops when everyone lost their shit over Twilight Princess getting an 8.

reptilescorpio said:
LttP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>OoT
So true.

Yagharek

Alternative theory:
It's been less than two hours so meltdowns are only brewing now

Alternative theory 2:
Zelda fans saw the Uncharted 3 meltdowns and thought better of it

Alternative theory 3 (conspiracy style):
They are used to Wii games getting low reviews even despite obvious merit

RandomVince said:
Alternative theory:

Alternative theory 2:

Actual FACT:

EVERYONE IS PLAYING SKYRIM!

RandomVince said:
Alternative theory:

Alternative theory 2:

Theory 4
Zelda fans were disappointed by Twilight Princess and eventually took the 8.8 onboard. They are now not expecting Skyward Sword to be the 2nd coming of Jesus (after LttP of course) and will accept a score less than perfect because it still seems like Skyward Sword will be one of the best games of the generation. Plus it has been a tough generation for Nintendo fans.

RandomVince said:
VLuF7l.jpg

Agyar

$63 for Skyrim, $71 for Uncharted 3. If game prices were normally like this on release locally, I would probably buy more of my day one games from local stores.

That said I will be buying neither, as I am swamped under already. I still haven't finished Deus Ex due to being completely entrenched in Gears 3 multiplayer (to the point that I have barely touched the campaign). Battlefield 3 is also on it's way from Ozgameshop.

Skyrim and Uncharted 3 are definitely going to wait until I finish with this lot and by that point they'll probably be cheaper functional as well.

Deeku

Agyar said:
$63 for Skyrim, $71 for Uncharted 3. If game prices were normally like this on release locally, I would probably buy more of my day one games from local stores.
Totally. Hopefully portable games start following this trend too!

So looks like I'll be buying MW3, Skyrim and pre-ordering Zelda tomorrow. And probably put in orders for Mario 3D and Mario Kart 7. Summer holidays lookin goooood!

Shaneus

First ep of The League = awesome. Yobogoya!
Danoss said:
I completely agree. Unfortunately, this seems like a trend. More money is to be made by making games on consoles too, so they switch and prioritise their efforts there, leaving the people who helped make them who they are, high and dry.

PC, especially now, is extremely welcoming to newer, smaller companies with something to offer. It seems that it is being turned into a springboard for them to jump platforms with a higher barrier of entry. Not many companies that began on PC are left that remember their roots and that is sad.
You know, I just find it incredibly bizarre that it's Volition who are the only ones that learned their "crappy PC port" lesson. RFG was great but had it's random issues, SR2 was woeful and then they up and decided to do the port themselves (or something). Why the fuck aren't the bigger places doing that?!? Shit, even IW and DICE look like they're recycling assets from previous games.

Deeku

Omi said:
I am not sure I can handle a double take of Kerrby and DeathJr.

Upside, I have drunk a lot of beer.
You're big boy now, you can handle anything!

Oh and happy b'day, pretty sure I forgot to say it.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I really need to get around to playing and finishing up some single player games but BF3 MP is just taking most, if not all of my gaming time at the moment.

I need better shotguns and i feel the need to blow up more people and tanks with C4.

Yagharek

Uncharted 3 level design: Chapter 20: Take out
two armoured tanks with only one rpg

Fucking fail. This is the Halo 3 of the series.

Salazar

markot said:
I am stupid.

I play a sneaky lock pick arrow shooting kinda guy, but I dont like stealing >_<;

I am trying to level up my flaming hands. I still can't reliably fuck up groups of bandits. And some apprentice storm mage just roasted me.

RandomVince said:
Uncharted 3 level design: Chapter 20: Take out
two armoured tanks with only one rpg

Fucking fail. This is the Halo 3 of the series.
You have grenades don't forget dude. Throw 2 under and boom. Or the Grenade launcher on the left just after the RPG. Also I thought there was another RPG on the right hand side?

Top Bottom