• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Logitech wireless Drum controller for 360 for $70
Logitech wireless custom Guitar controller for PS3 for $50 (usually $500)
Discontinued MX518 mouse for $28

RandomVince said:
How would you compare to my other suggestion, MGS3? That game was built on hand drawn animation versus motion capture, yet still felt far more responsive than UC3. On top of that it isnt a twitch game either.

It may be something as simple as input lag, perhaps. But something about UC controls feels categorically wrong to me. Unless I had some measure to quantify it by, I doubt I could explain it comprehensively.
It has been along time since I played MGS3 so I'm not sure if I remember it correctly, to be honest controls have always been my pet peeve of the MGS series. The motion capture definitely introduces the disconnect between you pressing a button and the person on the screen moving since your action is simple while the motion capture was dynamic.

Yagharek

Box of Bunnies said:
Not in my experience with the first game. Maybe the other two changed things up, but there was a huge focus on shooting in the few hours I spent playing Uncharted. I killed as many dudes in it as I did in just about any other shooter I've played in the last couple of years.

Comparing it to Tomb Raider is disingenuous.

Not only that, I thought the shooting in UC1/2 compared favourably even to Gears of War.

Yagharek

reptilescorpio said:
It has been along time since I played MGS3 so I'm not sure if I remember it correctly, to be honest controls have always been my pet peeve of the MGS series. The motion capture definitely introduces the disconnect between you pressing a button and the person on the screen moving since your action is simple while the motion capture was dynamic.

I guess one thing is that in MGS3, every encounter was freeform enough to let me escape or do what I want. I think thats a side effect of the animated character movement (as opposed to motion captured).

Maybe Mario Galaxy is a salient example too. Some of the levels (that snowy mountain one, for example) encourage leaps of faith via long jumps to platforms just in sight and well below your current platform. Shadow of the Colossus does too - leaping from the arm to back of some of the 3rd colossus is one example that stands out.

Even though both games let you fail, you also are encouraged to succeed by essentially saying "fuck it" and jumping anyway. Conversely, in uc3, I'd often find myself at the end of a rope or ledge and stop, trying to figure out where they demanded me to go. Similarly, there was no encouragement to experiment with the platforming. No alternative approach.

And before I forget, the other thing that bothered me was the blind transitions from interactive to passive. Sometimes I'd be ledge jumping or holding a button as per the prompt, and then it would suddenly though not obviously transition to non-interactive. Then the game would make Drake do what I would not, hence putting him in a worse position. It just adds up to make the player feel irrelevant or almost like an intruder upon proceedings.

midonnay

just came back from the city >_>

there was this busking guy who wanted everyone to give him ten bucks for his silly fire whipping act :/

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
maladroid said:
You should do these things after exams (and not at such short notice for the rest of us Melb plebs). :S

Us working men don't know what these EXAMS are! lolol.

and the short notice was on purpose.

Last time there was plenty of notice and all that occured was everyone wanting the plans changed to suit themselves

Car crashed into a Truck on the way to the Dunkeld races. Bunch of people dead. Horrible accident.

RandomVince said:
Conversely, in uc3, I'd often find myself at the end of a rope or ledge and stop, trying to figure out where they demanded me to go. Similarly, there was no encouragement to experiment with the platforming. No alternative approach.

And before I forget, the other thing that bothered me was the blind transitions from interactive to passive. Sometimes I'd be ledge jumping or holding a button as per the prompt, and then it would suddenly though not obviously transition to non-interactive. Then the game would make Drake do what I would not, hence putting him in a worse position. It just adds up to make the player feel irrelevant or almost like an intruder upon proceedings.
I actually think the platforming was much easier in UC3, I think there were only 3 ropes in the entire game too and I used them properly first try unlike UC2 where they were the bane of my existence. The game autocorrected a lot more of the platforming in UC3 than it ever did in the previous games. I hated a few of the large puzzle chambers in UC2 just because I kept misjudging jumps or where I was meant to go but I never had that problem in UC3. The only tricky puzzle room was the one with the water but even that was just because of shadowy areas blocking my view the first time.

I would cream my pants to see Naughty Dog do some work on the PC, their games could be improved greatly by removing the restrictions placed on them by the PS3, even though they push it to its limits already.

maladroid

HolyCheck said:
Us working men don't know what these EXAMS are! lolol.

and the short notice was on purpose.

Last time there was plenty of notice and all that occured was everyone wanting the plans changed to suit themselves
:( I'm gonna get slaughtered by three next week. I'll be free after the 25th (and by free, I mean on edge until results come out sometime in early December). In the meantime, you guys enjoy your mandates. :)

markot

Banned
Gez said:
Dont believe the hate train, if a game is fun its fun. Doesnt matter if it has a console focus.
A: Im the driver of the train and im taking the bends dangerously fast!
B: my fun =/= your fun!
C: Console focus does matter in the grand scheme of things, game has to be great, see Deus Ex, for me to be abridge it!
D: All of the above!

hamchan said:
Why would anyone need a guide for CoD? :-/
Because it is a lot cheaper than MW3 on its own.

It was brought up a few pages back.

PC version of MW3 is fantastic.

BananaArnie said:
what would a guide for that even look like?
press lmb
move mouse
*cutscene*
press e when prompted
win game
Hating on COD is cool.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So i just watched fringe on the big screen out in the lounge room since no one is home.

I'm sorry monitor, But you just don't do it anymore. It was outstanding!

evlcookie said:
So i just watched fringe on the big screen out in the lounge room since no one is home.

I'm sorry monitor, But you just don't do it anymore. It was outstanding!
On that note my 19 inch monitor is too small and I want a bigger one. Anything around the $200 mark of note? I hear IPS look fantastic?

reptilescorpio said:
Because it is a lot cheaper than MW3 on its own.

It was brought up a few pages back.

PC version of MW3 is fantastic.

Hating on COD is cool.
what ever games play themselves thesedays
isnt that the whole idea.
so it appeals to a larger audience.
they are more of interactive movies than anything else.

Shaneus

RandomVince said:
Even though both games let you fail, you also are encouraged to succeed by essentially saying "fuck it" and jumping anyway. Conversely, in uc3, I'd often find myself at the end of a rope or ledge and stop, trying to figure out where they demanded me to go. Similarly, there was no encouragement to experiment with the platforming. No alternative approach.
Having not played UC3 (or even UC2, along with little time in UC1) it sounds like it's the equivalent of the original (white pyjama) Prince of Persia. Timing was somewhat critical, but he'd always jump off the ledge perhaps by taking a little step so he could like up with the perfectly-proportioned tiles.

Or am I completely off?
reptilescorpio said:
Gervais, Merchant and Karl don't look at it as making fun of Karl, more just showing the world what kind of person Karl is and letting everyone appreciate him for what he is. It really is a documentary into the life of being friends with Karl.
I know how they look at it and don't have a problem with that (behind the scenes), but I tend to be highly empathetic with easy-going characters and get easily frustrated with arrogant, stupid, bully-ish ones. Karl fits squarely in the first while Gervais (while some of the time is fine) more often than not fits in the latter. It's the same reason why I occasionally adore Curb but find it fucking irritating most times because Larry David (the character) is so thick-headed and illogical, as well as being completely selfish and inconsiderate.

BananaArnie said:
what ever games play themselves thesedays
isnt that the whole idea.
so it appeals to a larger audience.
they are more of interactive movies than anything else.
Every time I read one of your posts the formatting makes my brain think it is going to be a haiku and I always read it in that stilted way that I read them. If it turned out you were Japanese or at least write haiku's in your spare time I would feel a little less strange for thinking that.

Shaneus said:
I know how they look at it and don't have a problem with that (behind the scenes), but I tend to be highly empathetic with easy-going characters and get easily frustrated with arrogant, stupid, bully-ish ones. Karl fits squarely in the first while Gervais (while some of the time is fine) more often than not fits in the latter. It's the same reason why I occasionally adore Curb but find it fucking irritating most times because Larry David (the character) is so thick-headed and illogical, as well as being completely selfish and inconsiderate.
The redeeming quality of Gervais and David are that they are 100% honest. They may come across as selfish but that is because they don't give a fuck about hiding it. Also Karl is in on the joke, he doesn't hold back because he knows it makes for entertainment.

Yagharek

Shaneus said:
Having not played UC3 (or even UC2, along with little time in UC1) it sounds like it's the equivalent of the original (white pyjama) Prince of Persia. Timing was somewhat critical, but he'd always jump off the ledge perhaps by taking a little step so he could like up with the perfectly-proportioned tiles.

Or am I completely off?.

I wouldnt say you were off, just that that doesnt seem to fit with my complaints about it.

Yagharek

Also played the Rayman Origins demo. Game looks beautiful but goes from average to awesome shmup tribute to frustrating in the space of three levels.

I guess that means no BG&E2.

reptilescorpio said:
Every time I read one of your posts the formatting makes my brain think it is going to be a haiku and I always read it in that stilted way that I read them. If it turned out you were Japanese or at least write haiku's in your spare time I would feel a little less strange for thinking that.
i beg your pardon
oriental, i am not
however, theres this.
:D

27inch for $300 seems good right? Will there be any issues moving from at 19inch to a 27inch monitor? Will my games run worse? Are LG a good brand of monitor (I know their TV's are awesome)?

BananaArnie said:
i beg your pardon
oriental, i am not
however, theres this.
:D
Muglhl.jpg

Grassy

reptilescorpio said:
27inch for $300 seems good right? Will there be any issues moving from at 19inch to a 27inch monitor? Will my games run worse? Are LG a good brand of monitor (I know their TV's are awesome)?

I recently went from a 19 inch to a 24 inch monitor, the new screen seemed MASSIVE the first few days of using it but I got used to it pretty quick. Your games may run a bit slower(depending on your video card) as the native resolution will be increased but it won't be a massive difference. Not a fan of LG tv's myself but that monitor looks nice, as always check online reviews/forums for issues in general before purchasing.

Also big thumbs-up for PC Case Gear, they have amazing service and great prices. I recently built a new PC and I ordered all the parts through them, I will definitely use them again.

HolyCheck

FKkQp.jpg

Gotta make sure you're sitting properly with a good posture for extended gaming sessions. No coffee table + couch for me tonight

HolyCheck said:
Gotta make sure you're sitting properly with a good posture for extended gaming sessions. No coffee table + couch for me tonight
You got a KMart nearby? Go buy a $15 computer desk and a $15 computer swivel chair. Much better on your body. They might even be a 24 hour KMart so you can go right now!

HolyCheck

Danoss said:
Get a card table!

I've done that before. They're handy, pretty cheap and can be folded away when not in use for added space.

:lol

I have no where to store it away. my only big storage space is packed with suits + pants + shirts +vacuum cleaner + clothes horse + spare fold out chair for guests + my travel bag i came over here in!

HolyCheck said:
:lol

I have no where to store it away. my only big storage space is packed with suits + pants + shirts +vacuum cleaner + clothes horse + spare fold out chair for guests + my travel bag i came over here in!

Just play like this:

ejtzwi.png

HolyCheck

shanshan310 said:
Just play like this:

ejtzwi.png

Holy Crap.

You're hired!

tytytyttyty trying it soon! will report back

edit1: coffee table is too high, will inflate the inflatable mattress and sit on that.. i dont know how that will work as it wont be able to go past the coffee table legs
edit 2: ok i've put the white pages books on the floor then put the mini ironing board ontop of them and now im sitting on that, still a bit low.. needs a few more cm

Moar pillows?

A word of warning: Your legs get kinda stiff after a while.

Is it probably safer than the ironing board on coffee table set up though :p

HolyCheck

shanshan310 said:
Moar pillows?

A word of warning: Your legs get kinda stiff after a while.

Is it probably safer than the ironing board on coffee table set up though :p

OK! I have myself on two whitepages then two pillows then the ironing board, i'm sitting sort of cross legged around the table

As you can see in the first it offers a fairly high seat to sit on, nice and easy for a man on the go, and one with some bourbon. Also offers ease of leaving when rising up as the seat gently rises too.
LPWAO.jpg

And then when I'm sitting on it, it gives it some movement too, it's not too rigid which is nice, It's actually got me in the mood for some trackmania
Io6TG.jpg

Top Bottom