• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Shaneus

jambo said:
Yes, but then you have to live in Geelong.

;)
Ah, but it also means I get to live in a city that doesn't have any of these folk in it:
collingwood_fans.jpg

elfinke

jambo said:
Boring? Sure, it was annoying that Vettel got out in front so quickly, but all of the stuff with Schumi and Hamilton was glorious and that crash at the start was crazy.

Ah true; their dueling and dicing was pretty excellent. Didn't help that the BBC stream kept crapping out on me I guess, I kinda tuned out.

jambo

So good finally being able to watch the race live at home.

November races are going to be annoying though, I've taken both Monday's off after the Abu Dhabi and Brazillian races.

Shaneus

jambo said:
So good finally being able to watch the race live at home.

November races are going to be annoying though, I've taken both Monday's off after the Abu Dhabi and Brazillian races.
Fuck, that's an awesome idea. Do you remember the dates off the top of your head for the days you took off?

Yagharek

To the people requesting the tsunami image I referred to, YouTube search for Thailand beach boxing day tsunami. I'd post a link but I'm posting via a wp7 phone that lacks copy and paste. I'll post it in two days time when I get home as I'm on the road.

Its a tragic image. :(

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
RandomVince said:
To the people requesting the tsunami image I referred to, YouTube search for Thailand beach boxing day tsunami. I'd post a link but I'm posting via a wp7 phone that lacks copy and paste. I'll post it in two days time when I get home as I'm on the road.

You really should update your phone.

RandomVince said:

You haven't updated to NoDo?

Agyar

So video games.

At the same time as Deus Ex, I picked up a copy of Bad Company 2. For $25, I figured it was worth it to shoot a few guys in the face and drive a helicopter or whatever but I didn't anticipate actually being drawn back into the online FPS arena so enthusiastically. I've enjoyed bits of the Battlefield series before but it's been a long time since I bothered with anything in that space (CoD etc.) and I regret not having grabbed a copy sooner. That said, it seems I picked the perfect moment to arrive late, as with BF3 on the horizon, BC2 has received a fresh influx of new and returning players hyped up for the sequel. Tried out the Vietnam DLC as well, which is fun but feels like a shadow of the former Battlefield: Vietnam that I played most heavily.

I'm playing on 360 so if anyone else is doing the same, hit me up on XBL (agyar too).

midonnay

Fusebox said:
Hmm, not sure I'd agree that renting is ever a winning ticket. Rent may go down, and mortgages may go up but I'd still rather grind toward full ownership than pay for someone elses mortgage.

our family home was bought for under 200k in the 90's, paid off in 4/5 years and sold last year for around 800k.

the current housing market is fucked up.

BanShunsaku said:
Holy shit, Andy Whitfield died :-(
Oh man. That sucks. I was under the impression he was improving.

RandomVince said:
What's nodo?
Plug your phone into your computer. Then just let it update. There is meant to be another update (called Mango) in the coming months. Adding like twitter into the people tile and other stuff.

Rahk

Shaneus said:
That, and I find games that don't have MP have a far better fleshed out SP experience. Vanquish and (from what I've read) DE3 and Arkham Asylum come to mind. Maybe Space Marine will be like that, too.
Space Marine has MP.

Also, Suits is a pretty good show. The characters make it.

Shaneus

Yeah, I knew that but impressions give the indication that it's more fleshed out than your usual SP/MP games. At least, that's the idea I've been given.

Fredescu

Fusebox said:
Hmm, not sure I'd agree that renting is ever a winning ticket. Rent may go down, and mortgages may go up but I'd still rather grind toward full ownership than pay for someone elses mortgage.
With ownership, you may not be paying off someone elses mortgage, but you're paying the bank hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of interest. In 95% of cases you save hundreds a month renting. If you invest that money wisely you could easily find yourself in front after 30 years compared to the person who put that money into their place of residence.

The other benefit to renting is that you're more mobile. It takes months to sell a house, and there are a lot of additional costs if you want to upgrade. Stamp duty and conveyancing costs are in the tens of thousands. If you rent and you want to upgrade or change location, you just find a place, give your notice, and move.

If it takes half your life before you properly "own" it, what's the point? Is that really ownership? Will you want to live in the same place when your sixty as when you're thirty? You don't buy for accessibility at thirty, but what if you do your hip at sixty and need a place without stairs?

I own rather than rent, but I don't pretend that there aren't benefits to renting. "You're just paying off someone elses mortgage!" is just real estate industry propaganda.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Is the fact that my tenant in my investment property a FIFO guy and me wanting to put up the rent solely because of that a bad thing?

Motherfucker can afford it.

Agyar

VOOK said:
Is the fact that my tenant in my investment property a FIFO guy and me wanting to put up the rent solely because of that a bad thing?

Motherfucker can afford it.

Completely unjustified.

Fusebox

Banned
Fredescu said:
With ownership, you may not be paying off someone elses mortgage, but you're paying the bank hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of interest. In 95% of cases you save hundreds a month renting.

Just 95%? I'd say 100% of people could save money if they swapped their mortgage for rent.

Fredescu said:
The other benefit to renting is that you're more mobile. It takes months to sell a house, and there are a lot of additional costs if you want to upgrade. Stamp duty and conveyancing costs are in the tens of thousands. If you rent and you want to upgrade or change location, you just find a place, give your notice, and move.

But selling isn't the only option. I didn't sell my first house, I rented it out, and now somebody else rent is paying my mortgage. That guy may think he's "on a winning ticket" because I just dropped my rent a bit recently, but at the end of the day he's still paying off my mortgage.

Fredescu said:
If it takes half your life before you properly "own" it, what's the point? Is that really ownership? Will you want to live in the same place when your sixty as when you're thirty? You don't buy for accessibility at thirty, but what if you do your hip at sixty and need a place without stairs?

Assets. It doesn't matter where they are, so long as they're yours.

Fredescu said:
I own rather than rent, but I don't pretend that there aren't benefits to renting. "You're just paying off someone elses mortgage!" is just real estate industry propaganda.

Well it may be propaganda, but it's also the truth. Every renter is just funding someone else's mortgage and I know which side I'd rather be on.

Salazar

Serena Williams meltdown, oh so glorious.

Williams shouted "come on"" just as Stosur went to hit a ball on the baseline and the chair umpire penalised the American under the hindrance rule.

The decision handed Stosur an early break of serve and it infuriated Williams as she directed some sharp words at the chair umpire.

"Aren't you the one who screwed me over last time here?" Serena roared.

"Yeah, you are."

"A code violation because I expressed who I am? We're in America last I checked. Am I gonna get violated for a water? Really, dont' even look at me. I promise you, don't look at me because I am not the one. Don't look my way.

"If you ever see me walking down the hall, walk the other way. Because you're out of control. Totally out of control.

"You're a hater, you're unattractive inside. Who would do such a thing. And I never complain. Wow."

Fuck you, Serena, you salty loser.

I don't want to pay rent when I retire. I want to pay my house off before then and not have to pay rent when I'm a little old man playing games on the WiiUHD64cube using that laggy thought controller because my hands are too arthritic to grip a controller

legend166 said:
I'm basically doing the renting-whilst-saving-for-a-deposit thing now, even though I still live at 'home' with the family. We rent our place and it's split between the five of us. We get a 4 bedroom house (turned one of the living spaces into a bedroom) and it costs me $180 a week. It's going to take me about 3-4 years to save up enough to get a deposit.
$180 each for 5 people? Where the hell is rent that expensive? Crickey!

evlcookie said:
Why would people want Rudd back? Didn't we dislike him because he did fuck all? Aren't we disliking Julia because she is doing things but they seem to be not so favorable things.
People dislike everything unless they are being catered to 100%

Omi said:
Deus Ex really is great, still, although I get the feeling some of the augs are a bit superfluous. Anyone used the Typhoon thing for example? Is taking a while to play through due to me being completely anal about hacking everything and exploring everywhere. :p
teehee. Also de3 is great, the Typhoon is handy is you are playing a dude-bro playthrough. The see through walls aug seems the most useless. Also I love hacking everythng in sight. Also nice is when 2 guards are talking I'll hit one in the arse with a tranq dart and when his buddy is trying to wake him up get him in the neck with another dart, laughing heartily as the crumple on the ground together like dosed up gimp lovers.

Shaneus said:
It's weird, I'm sure I've played MP games with your modem without a hassle.
Works fine with other games and downloads stuff from the marketplace super quick, it just didn't like Party Animals for some reason. Eh, only $8. Not a big loss.

elfinke said:
My mortgage is equal to what I would pay in rent for a similar house (at least $250-$300/wk). Rental prices are overpriced in this town though, due to the high percentage of students.
Same here in Warrnambool, average looking 3 bedroom goes for $300-350 a week but sales prices are fairly low from what people are saying. Just need a damn deposit!

Omikron

reptilescorpio said:
teehee. Also de3 is great, the Typhoon is handy is you are playing a dude-bro playthrough. The see through walls aug seems the most useless. Also I love hacking everythng in sight. Also nice is when 2 guards are talking I'll hit one in the arse with a tranq dart and when his buddy is trying to wake him up get him in the neck with another dart, laughing heartily as the crumple on the ground together like dosed up gimp lovers

Oh, another useless one is the increased range on your radar. Sure, useful to know where peeps are, but it reduces the size of the vision cones to be so small it is pointless.

hamchan

evlcookie said:
Why would people want Rudd back? Didn't we dislike him because he did fuck all? Aren't we disliking Julia because she is doing things but they seem to be not so favorable things.

Rudd's approval started going down but I don't think people wanted him to be kicked out and replaced by an even bigger loser.

Fredescu

Fusebox said:
Just 95%? I'd say 100% of people could save money if they swapped their mortgage for rent.
Some market conditions make mortgage repayments the same or sometimes cheaper than rent in some areas at certain times. elfinke gave a real life example.

Fusebox said:
Assets. It doesn't matter where they are, so long as they're yours.
Shares, bonds, cash in the bank, are all assets too, and they are much cheaper to maintain. It sucks that cash in the bank is terrible from a tax point of view though.

Fusebox said:
Well it may be propaganda, but it's also the truth. Every renter is just funding someone else's mortgage and I know which side I'd rather be on.
You're on the side with greater risk funding a bankers holiday. The notion that paying more money to a bank is better than paying less money to an owner is some pretty amazing spin.

VOOK

Fredescu said:
Yes, that's a bad thing. Base your rent on what the market is paying, otherwise you'll lose a tenant.

Agyar said:
Completely unjustified.

I haven't changed the rent in 3 years. Meanwhile my interest rates have gone up, electricity, water and land rates have gone up. In the last two months I've had $3200 worth of bills. The rent doesn't even cover half that.

Investment properties are a crock of shit, I'm living like a married middle aged man so when I'm old and decrepit I can enjoy my money then?

Setting myself up for the future, what a joke.

BanShunsaku said:

Second time I've got that today, lol.

Salazar

Grabbed Dead Island. Worth a laugh.

Got to power through the rest of the Space Marine campaign. Chaos Marines aren't so easy to kill.

Fredescu

VOOK said:
I haven't changed the rent in 3 years. Meanwhile my interest rates have gone up, electricity, water and land rates have gone up. In the last two months I've had $3200 worth of bills. The rent doesn't even cover half that.
If you're taking all that and market rates into account, then you're not doing it "solely because of that" then, are you?

VOOK said:
Investment properties are a crock of shit
I bet you don't say this when you get your five figure tax return.

Omi said:
Oh, another useless one is the increased range on your radar. Sure, useful to know where peeps are, but it reduces the size of the vision cones to be so small it is pointless.
Yeah! Same with the noise cones augs and the timer aug. Just a bunch of extra crap that no-one would ever need. And the target marking ones! Why are they required? Guards show up on the mini-map anyway!

VOOK said:
In the last two months I've had $3200 worth of bills. The rent doesn't even cover half that.
That seems high.

Fusebox

Banned
Fredescu said:
Some market conditions make mortgage repayments the same or sometimes cheaper than rent in some areas at certain times. elfinke gave a real life example.

I'm confident that the cheapest house in his town to rent is still cheaper than the cheapest house to buy.

Is that right elfinke?

Fredescu said:
You're on the side with greater risk funding a bankers holiday. The notion that paying more money to a bank is better than paying less money to an owner is some pretty amazing spin.

I pay a comparable amount to the bank for my mortgage, it isn't substantially more, and it certainly isn't spin because the money going to the bank is paying off a house, whereas the money going to the owner is paying off your right to live there until the owner evicts you with nothing to show for the money you've spent.

VOOK

Fredescu said:
If you're taking all that and market rates into account, then you're not doing it "solely because of that" then, are you?

I bet you don't say this when you get your five figure tax return.

70% of my tax return is going onto my bills for said investment property. The tax return means nothing basically. And it's a four figure tax return.

reptilescorpio said:
That seems high.

Land rates + Water Rates + Strata Levy. All in the same two months, I've had basically no money since July.

Fredescu

Fusebox said:
I pay a comparable amount to the bank for my mortgage, it isn't substantially more, and it certainly isn't spin because the money going to the bank is paying off a house, whereas the money going to the owner is paying off your right to live there until the owner evicts you with nothing to show for the money you've spent.
Some of it is paying off the house. Most of it is paying off the interest. The renter is paying for a "right to live", you're paying a premium for a "right to borrow". If the renter has "nothing to show for" saving ~$300 a month, that's only due to their own mismanagement.

VOOK said:
70% of my tax return is going onto my bills for said investment property. The tax return means nothing basically. And it's a four figure tax return.
Only 70%? So you come out ahead after tax? Not bad.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As a renter, unjustified rent increase makes me want to punch holes in the walls. It always fucking happens and its such bullshit. The whole housing market is just a goddamn scam.

Fuck everything I'm not made of money and I need the money I have for videogames and booze.

Top Bottom