• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Fredescu said:
Only 70%? So you come out ahead after tax? Not bad.

Don't worry I'm sure someone will hit my car again and I'll have to fork out $600 in excess for it. You know, because I'm 25 and all people under 26 are evil young people who are hoons.

Fredescu

elfinke

Fusebox said:
I'm confident that the cheapest house in his town to rent is still cheaper than the cheapest house to buy.

Is that right elfinke?

Hmm, I don't have any data - my gut feeling is that it would be a pretty close thing but that you would be right.

A quick look on Realestate.com.au tells me that aside from 1 bedroom over-55 units (lol), the cheapest house at the moment is $149,000, and that there are 14 houses for sale between $150k-$200k, but only 10 places for rent (all are units) between $100 and $200/wk.

However, due to the market here (as I said, high rental demand due to University) and the fact that everyone knows there is such a demand has meant that everything feels artificially overpriced. Many rentals are owned as investments by people (or groups of people) who don't live in the town.

And that played a large part into why owning > renting (speaking narrowly to my case, not broadly to all examples); never having to deal with asshole landlords and dipshit real estate agents again, both of which are numerous and many in this place.

When we bought our house the FHG had just been bumped to $14k (stamp duty was waived as a FH owner and all that malarkey too) and interest rates were so unbelievably low that it was just too good not to buy. My partner and I were actually saving to go overseas and had a stack of money saved - basically all our ducks were in a row when we decided to buy.

Fusebox

Banned
Oh yeah I forgot about landlords! I don't miss those, I still remember the days of having to straighten my place up just so some old prick can come and bitch about the state of it.

VOOK

Yeah I'm not posting in Nintendo threads anymore, too much blind love. Need to have tough love or Nintendo's just going to fuck over it's fan base more and more.

Fredescu

Fusebox said:
Ah I see, neither of my mortgages look anything like that default loan setup.
Are you saving that much interest on your ppor without putting extra money in? How? You could get your pay put directly into an offset or redraw and that will save you a little. It's a bit of a pain, but my wife did that for years. I've seen people suggest getting a small line of credit, and putting that lump sum into the main loan, which certainly helps over time, but from memory when I figured it out it wasn't 173k, and it was on a figure for more than 300k.

Fusebox said:
Oh yeah I forgot about landlords!
It's one of the few actual benefits!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
VOOK said:
Yeah I'm not posting in Nintendo threads anymore, too much blind love. Need to have tough love or Nintendo's just going to fuck over it's fan base more and more.

You're being a right sook today hey?

Stackboy

Fusebox said:
Oh yeah I forgot about landlords! I don't miss those, I still remember the days of having to straighten my place up just so some old prick can come and bitch about the state of it.

I'm really fortunate at the moment. Living in a Manny flat arrangement. Friends own the house, converted downstairs into a flat. Don't have to see them if I don't want to, rent is $350 a fortnight, including internet, in the Brisbane Northern suburbs. I plan on being their for at least 5 years (or until I get my own place, but since it's just me and I don't really value having a place to call my own, it could be longer).

VOOK

EatChildren said:
You're being a right sook today hey?

Can't afford to be anything more.

But just think, when I'm 50 I'll be happy as anything! It'll all pay off in the end.

Fusebox

Banned
Fredescu said:
It's one of the few actual benefits!

Lol, one of the 'few actual' benefits of owning a house? Like they're so far and few in-between? Why do you hate the Australian dream?

Fredescu said:
Are you saving that much interest on your ppor without putting extra money in? How? You could get your pay put directly into an offset or redraw and that will save you a little.

Without going into personal details, loads of cash up front, decent sized repayments and leveraging against our other property which is almost paid off.

VOOK

Omi said:
Depressive fucking bunch today aren't we.

It is Monday after all, I mean half the bitches on my Facebook whine about it. It's hilarious.

It's going to be Monday this time next week too! Oh noes!

VOOK said:
I've never understood this from Nintendo fans. Maybe I've just somehow avoided them but Sony and Microsoft don't seem to have fans with the same undying devotion that Nintendo does.

I'm not saying they don't get stupid fanboys, they obviously do, but it just seems like there is a surprisingly high percentage of diehard Nintendo fans that are willing to be reamed by average game after average game and still bend over backwards for the next one.

Fusebox

Banned
FallbackPants said:
it just seems like there is a surprisingly high percentage of diehard Nintendo fans that are willing to be reamed by average game after average game and still bend over backwards for the next one.

Uh oh!

Omikron

FallbackPants said:
I know, I've started something haven't I.

I am trying to agree with Vooks here. Tough love should be what people have for all gaming companies.

Hater.

God damn sense of entitlement.

Fusebox

Banned
VOOK said:
Oh noes, someone said something negatively about a product and or service!

Well shit son, if I was head of team Nintendo fanclub Australia and someone said I like to get reamed I'd stand up for myself, but carry on...

Jintor

FallbackPants said:
I've never understood this from Nintendo fans. Maybe I've just somehow avoided them but Sony and Microsoft don't seem to have fans with the same undying devotion that Nintendo does.

I'm not saying they don't get stupid fanboys, they obviously do, but it just seems like there is a surprisingly high percentage of diehard Nintendo fans that are willing to be reamed by average game after average game and still bend over backwards for the next one.

I think Nintendo associate themselves far more strongly with their actual games and the experiences you get from them far more than Microsoft and Sony do. You don't hear talk about Microsoft games or Sony games, unless they're Kinect or Move games or something, but everything Nintendo does is Nintendo's. Thus the play experience, which is usually quality - Nintendo does deliver on a fairly regular basis - is always linked to the company as a whole, increasing the rabid devotion.

It helps that they have Shiggy and Iwata, two of the most personable people in the industry, and to a lesser extent Reggie.

VOOK

Fusebox said:
Well shit son, if I was head of team Nintendo fanclub Australia and someone said I like to get reamed I'd stand up for myself, but carry on...

Wouldn't change someones opinion, what's the point?

People saying bad things all over internet everyday, you gonna fight all of them?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Nintendo's current problem (its always been a problem, but moreso now than ever) is the bipolar attitude they have when it comes to treating consumers and making business decisions. If it were average game after average game there would be less of an issue. Instead there are a ton of fantastic games, and then a ton of shit. Great ideas, then fucking garbage.

You get fanatics because they've earned them, only those fanatics are blind to the bullshit that always crops.

Plus, what Jintor said.

Jintor

EatChildren said:
Nintendo's current problem (its always been a problem, but moreso now than ever) is the bipolar attitude they have when it comes to treating consumers and making business decisions. If it were average game after average game there would be less of an issue. Instead there are a ton of fantastic games, and then a ton of shit. Great ideas, then fucking garbage.

Nintendo's weird bipolar nature is definitely a huge problem, I agree.

FallbackPants said:

Ain't that a fact. Right on mate.

I'm not trying to say Vooks' likes a good video game reaming. He obviously doesn't based on his annoyance with posters in Nintendo threads. I'm agreeing with him.

And I'm not saying Nintendo make only shit house games. They have a pretty long running habit of making outstanding games too. Every publisher in the world makes shite games. People just seem more willing to overlook Nintendo's than other company's.

Jintor said:
I think Nintendo associate themselves far more strongly with their actual games and the experiences you get from them far more than Microsoft and Sony do. You don't hear talk about Microsoft games or Sony games, unless they're Kinect or Move games or something, but everything Nintendo does is Nintendo's. Thus the play experience, which is usually quality - Nintendo does deliver on a fairly regular basis - is always linked to the company as a whole, increasing the rabid devotion.

It helps that they have Shiggy and Iwata, two of the most personable people in the industry, and to a lesser extent Reggie.

That is a really good point, that I've never considered before. Halo was never Microsoft, it was always Bungie, Uncharted was always Naughty Dog etc etc

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
*pokes in with another annoying question... my boss asks me to find out and I just ask ausgaf >_>*

If he has a media pc set up on his main TV.. is there some kind of ps3 remote bluetooth adapter he can use to control it? basically, can you use a PS3 controller on a PC.

*runs*

VOOK

EatChildren said:
Nintendo's current problem (its always been a problem, but moreso now than ever) is the bipolar attitude they have when it comes to treating consumers and making business decisions.

I get what you're trying to say, but examples? To me they seem to be pretty chillax about everything they do.

People have to remember you don't have to buy every game a company puts out, shit like Donkey Kong Barrel Blast, Wii Music, Steel Diver are some of Nintendo's more recent misses. I only have the last one because I had to review it.

HolyCheck

Omi said:
Do Nintendo as a whole have more hits and misses though?

Last Window: Mayonaka no Yakusoku - 2010
Pokémon Ranger: Tracks of Light - 2010
America's Test Kitchen: Let's Get Cooking - 2010
Rooms: The Main Building - 2010
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn - 2010
Pokémon Black and White - 2010
Fire Emblem: Shin Monshō no Nazo ~Hikari to Kage no Eiyū~ - 2010
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-land Mayhem! - 2010
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future - 2010
Super Fossil Fighters - 2010
Kirby Mass Attack - 2011
Professor Layton and the Last Specter - 2011
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 - 2011

Steel Diver - 2011
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - 2011

Ando Kensaku - 2010
Xenoblade Chronicles - 2010
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 2010
Metroid: Other M - 2010
The Last Story - 2010
Wii Party - 2010
Super Mario All-Stars - 2010
Kirby's Epic Yarn - 2010
Donkey Kong Country Returns - 2010

Fredescu

Fusebox said:
Lol, one of the 'few actual' benefits of owning a house? Like they're so far and few in-between? Why do you hate the Australian dream?
They are so few and far between. Permanency, not having to answer to a landlord, and the ability to make changes and improvements.

I don't dislike home ownership in general, but I do dislike the way the industry has managed to get people to believe that it's the best form of investment and has people like you looking down your nose at renters as if they're on the losing team. It's just as possible that the renter has invested his savings into other areas and will come out ahead of you when retirement comes. He is also much more mobile in terms of industry performance. Mining goes to shit? Ok, sell those ones at a pre definied stop loss point and invest elsewhere.

Fusebox said:
Without going into personal details, loads of cash up front, decent sized repayments and leveraging against our other property which is almost paid off.
In other words, you're not doing it "without putting extra money in", which was my point. You compare the base cost to a renter, but in order to save even more money long term, you put more and more eggs into that same basket. That's all money that could be earning dividends and interest elsewhere.

jambo

QVl0S.jpg

Bought =D

hamchan

HolyCheck said:
Last Window: Mayonaka no Yakusoku - 2010
Pokémon Ranger: Tracks of Light - 2010
America's Test Kitchen: Let's Get Cooking - 2010
Rooms: The Main Building - 2010
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn - 2010
Pokémon Black and White - 2010
Fire Emblem: Shin Monshō no Nazo ~Hikari to Kage no Eiyū~ - 2010
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-land Mayhem! - 2010
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future - 2010
Super Fossil Fighters - 2010
Kirby Mass Attack - 2011
Professor Layton and the Last Specter - 2011
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 - 2011

Steel Diver - 2011
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - 2011

Ando Kensaku - 2010
Xenoblade Chronicles - 2010
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 2010
Metroid: Other M - 2010
The Last Story - 2010
Wii Party - 2010
Super Mario All-Stars - 2010
Kirby's Epic Yarn - 2010
Donkey Kong Country Returns - 2010

Looks like more hits than misses over the past 2 years.

HolyCheck said:
*pokes in with another annoying question... my boss asks me to find out and I just ask ausgaf >_>*

If he has a media pc set up on his main TV.. is there some kind of ps3 remote bluetooth adapter he can use to control it? basically, can you use a PS3 controller on a PC.

*runs*
Motioninjoy?

EatChildren

VOOK said:
I get what you're trying to say, but examples? To me they seem to be pretty chillax about everything they do.

Mario 3DS and Mario Kart 7 will in all probability be great games, but neithre will solve the underlying problems of the 3DS software library. Despite what some people might say I think the stereo 3D on the 3DS is phenominal, yet the build quality of the system is rubbish.

If Nintendo were consistenly failing on all fronts they'd be much easier to hate. From a consumer point of view its a problem with them being both a hardware and software developer. To get the good you're forced to put up with the shit.

And even something like Steel Diver I wouldn't call a 'miss', at least not on the same level of true rubbish like Donkey Kong Barrel Blast. Steel Diver, at its core, was a great concept, if very niche. But Nintendo fucked up execution and value of the package. Its a prime example of having something good and screwing it over, in turn screwing everyone over.

@Omi: As a whole, I think Nintendo's hits outweigh the misses. Not all of their software is AAA brilliance, but most of it is at least above average and worth a look, and littered among these titles are true gems.

Fredescu

FallbackPants said:
If there's one thing that GAF has taught me it's that Sony has some pretty damned devoted fans. Microsoft hasn't had two "winning" consoles yet, unlike the other two, so that's why I assume their crazies aren't quite so numerous.

HolyCheck

reptilescorpio said:
Motioninjoy?

Many thanks :)

One more question... that tiny $300 computer that people were linking to in steamchat the other night ... TYIA..

gaf has become a resource for impressing my boss ;_;

Omikron

EatChildren said:
@Omi: As a whole, I think Nintendo's hits outweigh the misses. Not all of their software is AAA brilliance, but most of it is at least above average and worth a look, and littered among these titles are true gems.

Yeah, most definitely. Nintendo really do polarise opinion I guess. I for one enjoy their games that I pick up on my only consoles (DS/Wii) to back up my PC gaming habit and enjoy that tremendously.

EatChildren

Fredescu said:
If there's one thing that GAF has taught me it's that Sony has some pretty damned devoted fans. Microsoft hasn't had two "winning" consoles yet, unlike the other two, so that's why I assume their crazies aren't quite so numerous.

Pretty much. All fanboys are bad. For every deluded Nintendo fanboy who cannot see the flaws of their beloved company, there's another frothing Sony lunatic who cannot fathom why anybody wouldn't think of Uncharted as the greatest franchise of all time.

Ahh, the benefits of being a multi platform gamer are good.

EatChildren

hamchan said:
Isn't it awesome owning all the consoles? And then just gaming on PC anyways?

Well, I dont own an Xbox 360. But in my defense the 3DS does enough paper weighting already.

jambo

hamchan said:
Isn't it awesome owning all the consoles? And then just gaming on PC anyways?

Haha so true.

I have a PS3, Wii, 360 and 3DS, and 95% of my gaming is done on the PC.

And the other 5% is on my iPhone!

So which thread set you off, VOOK?

What pisses me off about Nintendo stems from the fact that they're basically a mickey-mouse operation scaled up big. It's like they're a multinational, billion-dollar corporation now, but in large part, they're still run like a toy company from the 1980s. It gives them an attitude of hyper-conservative, penny-pinching caution and it occasionally screws me over as a customer. They piss away so many good opportunities and I find that baffling.

Thing is, some of the people who work there are genius craftsmen and I can never get enough of what they make. .

Top Bottom