• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

elfinke

jambo said:
Mainly F1 2011, but also F1 2010 this week, as well as DiRT 3, SHIFT 2 and TDU 2.

I loved 201, have it on PS3 along with a Logi wheel. I really want to grab 2011 for the PC, but I'm just not sure if I'll enjoy it without the wheel (the way the PC is setup is not conducive to wheel use unfortunately).

More thought required.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
EatChildren said:
Mario 3DS and Mario Kart 7 will in all probability be great games, but neithre will solve the underlying problems of the 3DS software library. Despite what some people might say I think the stereo 3D on the 3DS is phenominal, yet the build quality of the system is rubbish.

If Nintendo were consistenly failing on all fronts they'd be much easier to hate. From a consumer point of view its a problem with them being both a hardware and software developer. To get the good you're forced to put up with the shit.

And even something like Steel Diver I wouldn't call a 'miss', at least not on the same level of true rubbish like Donkey Kong Barrel Blast. Steel Diver, at its core, was a great concept, if very niche. But Nintendo fucked up execution and value of the package. Its a prime example of having something good and screwing it over, in turn screwing everyone over.

@Omi: As a whole, I think Nintendo's hits outweigh the misses. Not all of their software is AAA brilliance, but most of it is at least above average and worth a look, and littered among these titles are true gems.

Steel Diver's one of those concepts Nintendo sat on for so long had a good idea and then rushed it out the door, it's a miss for me because they could have made it a DSiWare game or even a DS game back in the day and it would have been better.

I agree with you about the Mario/Kart 7 thing later this year, luckily after that they have a ton of games lined up, but knowing them they'll still only release one every 3 months and push it all into next years holiday.

I think Nintendo doesn't realize that not everyone buys every single title they produce. So while they're releasing things every 3 months and that's a good break between games, if you don't like one game you're waiting up to half a year for something from Nintendo that's probably been done and dusted for months.

EatChildren said:
Well, I dont own an Xbox 360. But in my defense the 3DS does enough paper weighting already.
jambospatentedburnsauce.gif

Also Nintendo irritate me. Sick of the mascot games that don't do enough for me but still wow the world. Made me feel silly for not going weak at the knees while playing SMG. It was okay. They do have many, many gems though like Hotel Dusk or Xenoblade. Stuff you never get from the other 2 majors.

Fredescu

viciouskillersquirrel said:
What pisses me off about Nintendo stems from the fact that they're basically a mickey-mouse operation scaled up big. It's like they're a multinational, billion-dollar corporation now, but in large part, they're still run like a toy company from the 1980s. It gives them an attitude of hyper-conservative, penny-pinching caution and it occasionally screws me over as a customer. They piss away so many good opportunities and I find that baffling.
This reminds me, does anyone remember the news from a few years ago that Nintendo were putting some huge investment into new software development? They were building a new building in some other city. I have a feeling Sakurai was involved in the news somehow. Anyone remember that and know what came of it?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
HolyCheck said:
Many thanks :)

One more question... that tiny $300 computer that people were linking to in steamchat the other night ... TYIA..

gaf has become a resource for impressing my boss ;_;

The zotec Zbox?

Shaneus

jambo said:
I have a PS3, Wii, 360 and 3DS, and 95% of my gaming is done on the PC.

And the other 5% is on my iPhone!
I just bought Grand Prix Story, so that 5% has been bumped up to about 70%. It's crack!

Fusebox said:
Oh yeah I forgot about landlords! I don't miss those, I still remember the days of having to straighten my place up just so some old prick can come and bitch about the state of it.
That's the only problem I ever have with mine, and it's usually pretty painless. Given that I've been at my current place a while, they don't really give a shit about the garden or the state of the place... just that there aren't any holes punched in the walls or hydroponic marijuana setups.

Everything else is fine... $20 increase overall in the last 6-and-a-bit years (single bedroom) and any issues I've had (hot water heater, ceiling fan, hole I put in a door accidentally) were fixed really quickly and without a hint of hassle. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.

elfinke

Shaneus said:
I just bought Grand Prix Story, so that 5% has been bumped up to about 70%. It's crack!

I'm in year 27 of my first game, still upgrading stuff (Cigar and Duck Car!) - game 2 is on hold for the mean time. Can't win the Kairoland race, which is annoying me no end. Have won every other thing though.

It really is crack.

4fa now!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Fredescu said:
This reminds me, does anyone remember the news from a few years ago that Nintendo were putting some huge investment into new software development? They were building a new building in some other city. I have a feeling Sakurai was involved in the news somehow. Anyone remember that and know what came of it?

The set up Project Sora, Sakurai's new studio.

VOOK said:
I think Nintendo doesn't realize that not everyone buys every single title they produce. So while they're releasing things every 3 months and that's a good break between games, if you don't like one game you're waiting up to half a year for something from Nintendo that's probably been done and dusted for months.

This is a huge problem. I dont expect them to keep their systems afloat all on their own, but a lot of these issues would be preventable if they quit penny pinching and branched out to third parties more.

Get them to fill the gaps and keep software flowing. And by that I mean get them to work on something good, not half arsed spin-offs.

Omikron

I was faffing around with Grand PRix Story and 'developed' a second car but don't want it, how do I get rid of that ugly little duckling?

Jintor

So which thread set you off, VOOK?

What pisses me off about Nintendo stems from the fact that they're basically a mickey-mouse operation scaled up big. It's like they're a multinational, billion-dollar corporation now, but in large part, they're still run like a toy company from the 1980s. It gives them an attitude of hyper-conservative, penny-pinching caution and it occasionally screws me over as a customer. They piss away so many good opportunities and I find that baffling.

Thing is, some of the people who work there are genius craftsmen and I can never get enough of what they make. .

Yep.

I just wish they weren't so frustratingly Japan-centric. I mean, you expect it of them, but they are a multinational company...

Shaneus

Omi said:
I was faffing around with Grand PRix Story and 'developed' a second car but don't want it, how do I get rid of that ugly little duckling?
Go into your garage, select it and scroll down. You can scrap it or sell it, I think.

Bernbaum

jambo said:
Haha so true.

I have a PS3, Wii, 360 and 3DS, and 95% of my gaming is done on the PC.

And the other 5% is on my iPhone!
2x Wii
2x 360
1x PS3
3x DS
1x 3DS
1x PSP
iPad, iPhone and a 2007-spec PC held together with spit and gum.

elfinke

Omi said:

As in, it's in your garage? Open up your garage, scroll to the car you don't want, then scroll down and you can sell it for money or research points.

I just unlocked a 'Spiral Car', no idea what it is yet.

Omikron

Shaneus said:
Go into your garage, select it and scroll down. You can scrap it or sell it, I think.

elfinke said:
As in, it's in your garage? Open up your garage, scroll to the car you don't want, then scroll down and you can sell it for money or research points.

I just unlocked a 'Spiral Car', no idea what it is yet.

Ohhhhhhh!

There is afucking scroll bar there. :x

Jintor

So I want to hook up my 5.1 speakers to something that I can plug both my PS3 and 360 into... do I need an A/V receiver? Will an amp do the job?

I know nothing :T

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Jintor said:
So I want to hook up my 5.1 speakers to something that I can plug both my PS3 and 360 into... do I need an A/V receiver? Will an amp do the job?

I know nothing :T

Yup, just grab yourself an AMP from JB HIFI or something if you don't care too much, I bought a pretty good one from there for about 250$
http://www.jbhifi.com.au/jb-hi-fi-home-audio/receiver/

here's what I bought, got it for about $700
http://www.jbhifi.com.au/home-theatre/pioneer/725-watt-home-theatre-outfit-sku-70523/

Jintor

Omi said:
What sort of speakers?

Total shit, but I definitely don't have the funds to get a full home theatre system at the moment (plus I'll probably be bugging out in a year or so so no real point)

VOOK

So which thread set you off, VOOK?

Thing is, some of the people who work there are genius craftsmen and I can never get enough of what they make. .

No thread in particular, just the overriding sentiment from the last few days regarding this coming event about all these wonderful games that people want and they're not going to get tomorrow. It's going to be about Monster Hunter and this add-on and if there's anything more that's a bonus. Nintendo won't ever go out of their way to improve things, just do the bare minimum.

EatChildren said:
This is a huge problem. I dont expect them to keep their systems afloat all on their own, but a lot of these issues would be preventable if they quit penny pinching and branched out to third parties more.

Get them to fill the gaps and keep software flowing. And by that I mean get them to work on something good, not half arsed spin-offs.

Exactly, but they're not even doing that with all the big bucks they have now. Between the great pillar games all they do have is spin-offs and diversions of their own. Sometimes they'll take a great third party game in under their wing and make it look like a Nintendo one to promote but they need to do more.

Third parties have been a problem for Nintendo since the NES days albeit for totally different reasons. We can all see what needs to be done, why cant' they.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Iwata's mattress wont stuff itself.

VOOK said:
Third parties have been a problem for Nintendo since the NES days albeit for totally different reasons. We can all see what needs to be done, why cant' they.
Hubris? Same reason Square have fallen to shit. Too set in their ways believing their management structure is the best and everyone else are poopy heads.

Fusebox

Banned
Jintor said:
Total shit, but I definitely don't have the funds to get a full home theatre system at the moment (plus I'll probably be bugging out in a year or so so no real point)

If they're really that shit it might be worth getting a Logitech all-in-one jobbie.

I used to be a Nintendo fan, now I'm platform agnostic and a Nintendo well-wisher.

They're just a company. They will do smart things and stupid things. Same with Sony and MS.
Platform fanbois is just a nerd version of sports fans (just with fewer riots, more hacking and the exact same proportion of wankers)

Aon

GAF SPEND MY MONEY?

I'm kinda looking into buying one of those ebook reading devices, as I catch myself reading more pdf's of novels on my laptop than actual books, which hardly seems ideal. The weight and controls sure as hell aren't.

I played around with a Kindle for a little bit today at Dick Smith and I think that might do it for me, although even the Wifi model's a bit expensive at 150. Does anyone have any ideas about cheap knock offs or weird international shipping deals I might be able to pull off to save a bit?

Fredescu

Aon said:
I played around with a Kindle for a little bit today at Dick Smith and I think that might do it for me, although even the Wifi model's a bit expensive at 150.
Is it $150 at Dick Smith? Or do you mean imported from Amazon?

Omikron

**** BEWARE POLITICAL RANT **** BEWARE ****

Now, while I understand it is the governments jobs to make decisions 'in our interest' etc etc and to adjust laws as appropriate. I can't help but feeling a little bit sleazy about the fact the government is so quickly going to jump after the high court decision and alter the migration act to suit their needs.

Scrub little bit, and substitute, I am fucking appalled.

**** FIN ****

Jintor

Aon said:
GAF SPEND MY MONEY?

I'm kinda looking into buying one of those ebook reading devices, as I catch myself reading more pdf's of novels on my laptop than actual books, which hardly seems ideal. The weight and controls sure as hell aren't.

I played around with a Kindle for a little bit today at Dick Smith and I think that might do it for me, although even the Wifi model's a bit expensive at 150. Does anyone have any ideas about cheap knock offs or weird international shipping deals I might be able to pull off to save a bit?

If you can, get the ad-supported 3G model, it's brilliant. The kindle deals on it particularly are supposed to be great, though I don't have one :<

elfinke

Hahahaha, "Ireton Cena" just blew up in my first ever track day in a Mach car. I've ended a few races with next to no durability, but in this case 'Fasternyu' Rock'n'Roll racing'd me :(

markot

Banned
Omi said:

Now, while I understand it is the governments jobs to make decisions 'in our interest' etc etc and to adjust laws as appropriate. I can't help but feeling a little bit sleazy about the fact the government is so quickly going to jump after the high court decision and alter the migration act to suit their needs.

**** FIN ****
The only hope is that Krudd comes in soon enough, and keeps to his promise just before he was ousted to not 'veer right' on the issue.

Its just such a sad state of affairs that this is the main issue to both major parties.... I mean, how important is it to johnny citizen?!

I honestly think the fact that Labor keeps helping to feed this issue, and feels like it is their achilles heel, makes it so >_>

Aon

Jintor said:
If you can, get the ad-supported 3G model, it's brilliant. The kindle deals on it particularly are supposed to be great, though I don't have one :<

Yeah, the Ad supported wifi model si right in my price range, but doesn't ship over here. The only models that do are the new ones as well, so I can't seem to save money by going refurb. It looks like ~140 + Shipping (might be free) + import tax to get it from Amazon, although I can't confirm the last two because I don't have a card on me. They need to allow you simpler exposure to that info.

Locally it seems to be uniformly ~159 for the Wifi model and some ungodly price for the 3g. I can't seem to find much of a second hand market either. Seems like it might just be high price vs hole in pocket again... xD

Landed an afternoon with some local Karate master for biopic assignment, so still feeling pretty good about the world regardless ;D

Jintor

The only thing I dislike is that there are so many books I want that aren't available as ebooks

Didn't you guys need a digital file to do a print run? It can't be that difficult to reformat it, surely? I guess it's just a 'how many e-copies will we sell' thing.

markot

Banned
Jintor said:
The only thing I dislike is that there are so many books I want that aren't available as ebooks

Didn't you guys need a digital file to do a print run? It can't be that difficult to reformat it, surely? I guess it's just a 'how many e-copies will we sell' thing.
That too >.<

EVERY BOOK should be an ebook, its like Guttenburg has us all by the balls!

VOOK

What is it with Australia's fascination with Bali? Someone on my Facebook was asking if they knew of any good places to stay and cheap flights, I said ‘There are no good places in Bali and the cheapest flight is not going’.

I then finished off with ‘I hear every other country on Earth is good this time of year’.

VOOK

Fredescu said:
Vooken 'ell you're grumpy today.

My hatred of Bali is well documented.

But yes, overly grumpy today. I want to go for my bike ride later today, that'll help.

elfinke

Omi said:

**** FIN ****

Yeah, I'm dirty on that too. It'll be interesting to hear what Barnaby has to say about it on QandA tonight at least.

Omikron

elfinke said:
Yeah, I'm dirty on that too. It'll be interesting to hear what Barnaby has to say about it on QandA tonight at least.

Barnaby + Germaine Greer on the one panel.

It will provide lols if nothing else.

Hell yes, my $80 ebgames gift card that cost me $72 is here! Now just to wait for the bargains to roll in.

Final Entourage!

Aon said:
Love the Kindle, my docket says I paid $138 though? Maybe that was a pre-order price or something.
In any case it is the best device for reading books. Not so much comics, they are still better on the touchpad but my gf loves the damn thing. Chucked all the Jane Austin books on there and she has had a ball reading them again with the eInk. Plus it doesn't hurt her wrists like the new Bryce Courtney book! Looking to get the whole Discworld series on there for our Honeymoon and I will just sit on a beach with 12 bottles of scotch, some sunshine and read the whole damn lot again.

Omi said:
I was equally shocked. I was like, "Huh? Can they do that? They get told they can't do it so they just change the rules? What the fuck? So if I get into power (and enough politicians support it) I can make weed legal?"

Top Bottom