• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Fredescu

reptilescorpio said:
I was equally shocked. I was like, "Huh? Can they do that? They get told they can't do it so they just change the rules? What the fuck? So if I get into power (and enough politicians support it) I can make weed legal?"
Making laws is technically the entirety of their job. So yeah, in theory you could make weed legal. In reality you'll find that by the time you and your buddies get in power, you will have had the financial help of so many different interest groups to get there, that you won't be able to to enact anything too crazy.

Jintor said:
Am I AusGAF's resident lawyer? Want me to explain it? :D
Yes and yes!

Yagharek

My preference for Nintendo is based on two factors.
1. Their hardware works
2. They make a lot of games I like

Its that simple.

Jintor

reptilescorpio said:
I was equally shocked. I was like, "Huh? Can they do that? They get told they can't do it so they just change the rules? What the fuck? So if I get into power (and enough politicians support it) I can make weed legal?"

I'll have to look over the Malaysia decision properly, but on my general understanding it was a High Court interpretation of the existing statute/legislation, so parliament can of course change the statute/legislation (if they have the support, amendment can pass both houses etc). That'll take time, but so long as they can push it through the houses they're golden. If it was a Constitutional challenge that'd be different.

The problem of course is that migration is a stupidly large political issue for no particular reason here, so it does have some support. Labor's Left is currently partially in revolt over this, so it does look like it might have some difficulty.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
RandomVince said:
My preference for Nintendo is based on two factors.
1. Their hardware works
2. They make a lot of games I like

Its that simple.

Word.

Several of my top games of all time are Nintendo games.

other developers have one game

HolyCheck said:
Word.

Several of my top games of all time are Nintendo games.

other developers have one game
As EatChildren said Nintendo put there name to a lot of brilliant games that are developed by several different teams under the Nintendo banner which is why they have the most brilliant games connected to their title.
Link to the Past is in my Top 5 for sure. Would love a HD remake on the WiiU just with higher resolution and maybe some smoother animation. Drool.

Also I missed out on the awesome Eneloop deal today, cheapest place to grab a pack?

elfinke

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/cth/HCA/2011/32.html

If anyone is interested in the Malaysia decision, Austlii has the goods. The discussion primarily revolves around s198 and the power it confers (or doesn't) to the minister for immigration (Bowen).

The Submission continued:
"Based on the information above, we think it is open to you to be satisfied that Malaysia meets the criteria set out in s 198A of the Act. Accordingly, we recommend you sign the proposed instrument of declaration at Attachment D, declaring Malaysia under s 198A(3) of the Act."
On 25 July 2011, the Minister made a declaration in relation to Malaysia under s 198A(3) of the Migration Act. On the same day he issued a direction to the Secretary of the Department, including the following:

"Until further notice, no processing of any asylum claims is to occur in relation to offshore entry persons who are intercepted or who arrive directly in Australia after 25 July 2011. I do not wish to consider exercising any of my powers under the Migration Act 1958 to give such individuals access to visas, in particular my powers under s46A or s195A. It is my expectation that such individuals will be taken to Christmas Island and removed to Malaysia in accordance with the Arrangement, with any asylum claims being assessed in that country."

Unfortunately for Bowen and the gov't, the so called 'water tight legal advice' they had received was in fact, not:

There was no power to make the declaration of 25 July 2011. Because the declaration is invalid, there is no power to remove the plaintiffs to Malaysia. Any attempt to do so would be unlawful. In the case of Plaintiff M106, his removal from Australia to any country is also unlawful absent the consent of the Minister in his capacity as guardian of Plaintiff M106.

Paragraphs 248 onwards do a decent enough job of surmising the reasons why.

HolyCheck

reptilescorpio said:
As EatChildren said Nintendo put there name to a lot of brilliant games that are developed by several different teams under the Nintendo banner which is why they have the most brilliant games connected to their title.
Link to the Past is in my Top 5 for sure. Would love a HD remake on the WiiU just with higher resolution and maybe some smoother animation. Drool.

Also I missed out on the awesome Eneloop deal today, cheapest place to grab a pack?

let me rephrase that then, Other producers have at most one. (is producer the correct term? like valve, ubisoft, blizzard, EA)

ok I lied Blizzard have 2 in the list now (it's been a while since I changed my list)

and valve have 0 games in there.

Fredescu

HolyCheck said:
(is producer the correct term? like valve, ubisoft, blizzard, EA)
EA and Ubisoft are publishers. Publishers fund, market, and distribute games. Blizzard and Valve are developers, they make games. Valve also does some publishing via Steam, but they don't act like a traditional publisher. Blizzard probably will soon too, via Battle Net.

HolyCheck said:
let me rephrase that then, Other producers have at most one. (is producer the correct term? like valve, ubisoft, blizzard, EA)
Developers maybe, like Valve, Gearbox, WayForward? Or just Publishers in general like EA or Activision overall.

Anyway Nintendo consoles will always get a purchase from me once a bunch of great 3rd party games come out, usually 2 years into the cycle. DS has an insanely great bunch of 3rd party titles.

HolyCheck

Fredescu said:
EA and Ubisoft are publishers. Publishers fund, market, and distribute games. Blizzard and Valve are developers, they make games. Valve also does some publishing via Steam, but they don't act like a traditional publisher. Blizzard probably will soon too, via Battle Net.

Sorry yup I meant Publishers, if Nintendo are under that banner of "many studios" or what ever, shouldnt Blizzard be too?

I dont know it's late and I've confused myself here ;_;

I LIKES NINTEHDOO AND BLIZZARD AND SEGAH

Fredescu

HolyCheck said:
Sorry yup I meant Publishers, if Nintendo are under that banner of "many studios" or what ever, shouldnt Blizzard be too?
SC2 is listed as being published by Blizzard, so I don't know. Do the retail boxes say Activision on them? If not, I guess technically they self publish. I don't really know how that works. I don't think it's enough to call them a publisher anyway.

HolyCheck

Fredescu said:
SC2 is listed as being published by Blizzard, so I don't know. Do the retail boxes say Activision on them? If not, I guess technically they self publish. I don't really know how that works. I don't think it's enough to call them a publisher anyway.

there's no mention of activision on blizzards boxes last I checked

DeathJr said:
....and I don't. The last nintendo game I loved was the original mario.

I don't know how you could like the original Mario but not care for any of the ones that followed.

Still, different strokes for different folks I guess. I love a lot of the stuff Nintendo puts out and have only strong indifference to offer to a lot of the things other people enjoy.

evlcookie said:
Still a shame syndicate is an fps, at least it's officially announced after all these years.
Totally. First xcom and now syndicate, I love an FPS as much as anyone but come on. At least Starbreeze make good stuff.

I guess I'll reserve judgment until it's properly revealed.

SNES and DS have the highest amount of awesome games out of all the consoles. With PSOne and PS2 close behind.

evlcookie said:
Still a shame syndicate is an fps, at least it's officially announced after all these years.
Maybe it will turn out okay, like DE3 did. They certainly aren't fucking making me enthusiastic though. Graphics look amazing but all the PR points to it being a turd in all the other areas. Plus it is hard to tell if the team is up to it after all the people who left and the rocky development of the game so far. Rockstar seem to be incredible at turning a FUBAR situation into a classic but I'm not so sure on EA.
How did DE3 do saleswise? I thought it was a bit of a flop compared to Eidos expectations/costs? Don't see Syndicate doing as well as EA think it will. Might do Timeshift/Singularity numbers.

legend166

reptilescorpio[B said:
]As EatChildren said Nintendo put there name to a lot of brilliant games that are developed by several different teams under the Nintendo banner which is why they have the most brilliant games connected to their title. [/B]

I don't know what this means. What games are you talking about?

Nintendo certainly publishes games from other studios, but they typically aren't considered the best of Nintendo's output.

Although I <3 excite series.

Jintor

legend166 said:
I don't know what this means. What games are you talking about?

Nintendo certainly publishes games from other studios, but they typically aren't considered the best of Nintendo's output.

Although I <3 excite series.

I thought he was saying that Nintendo has multiple teams working under them but they're all just 'Nintendo'.

Shaneus

Welp, looks like I got my first taste of being duped on the internet! Those adidas shoes I bought the other week have arrived... different style (right size, though) with a shipping docket from Shanghai with no address on it, just a phone number. Should've figured something was up when I didn't get a receipt emailed to me when the transaction completed :/

Anyway, y'all beware of adidasshoes.me.uk. I know, I should've seen it coming. Lucky I'm only out around $70 or so.

Fredescu

legend166 said:
Yeah but I mean, they aren't exactly counted in the cream of Nintendo's crop, are they?
The Mario & Luigi series is cream of the crop for sure. Maybe Mario Golf, Tennis, and Strikers aren't, strictly speaking, but they're always good games.

Jintor

Last I heard Reptile, Human Revolution shipped at least 2 million physical copies in... I want to say North America. No idea about Digital Sales, EU, or PAL. Multiplatform, of course.

/edit lol 'Reptile Human Revolution'

Fredescu

Jintor said:
in... I want to say North America. No idea about Digital Sales, EU, or PAL. Multiplatform, of course.
Worldwide. Also, since the numbers were direct from the publisher, I wouldn't be suprised if they included digital.

Oh man, last half of the final season of Entourage has been shitty but Ari pulled it off, was almost crying for a moment there. Bravo Ari Gold. Fantastic television.

Fredescu said:
Worldwide. Also, since the numbers were direct from the publisher, I wouldn't be suprised if they included digital.
ANy idea if Eidos are happy with that amount? Not sure on the budget for a game like de3. 2 million shipped sounds great though for such an old IP.

Jintor

I'm going to write a 1000 word essay about technology and Deus Ex. I love media, you can write about goddamn anything you want sometimes

it's not as good as being paid for a 3000/4000 word article in PopSci on augmentations but whatever

Salazar

Jintor said:
I'm going to write a 1000 word essay about technology and Deus Ex. I love media, you can write about goddamn anything you want sometimes

it's not as good as being paid for a 3000/4000 word article in PopSci on augmentations but whatever

I am writing one on small-town American literature. It's pretty badass.

...crap! I drank too much whiskey and now I've lost my perspicacity! 250 words short of the word limit! Booze and pizza was a horrible way to try and finish an assignment. :(

Shaneus said:
Still fucking waiting for GMG to get back to me. Tempted to just grab a key from a dodgy website out of spite.
What is the problem exactly? I just logged in and bought some Magika DLC for 80c to test and it went through fine.

Means Mario was cool when I was a kid. No more. I can still go back and play the original Mario, but I can't bear to play any of the countless spin off's it spawned and will keep on spawning. In other words, MILK!

jambo

DeathJr said:
I was what, 6 years old? People grow up.
Need a Dudebro Mario for the grown ups?

Needs to be brown, with blood and swearing, plus bloom and piss filter.

Best 3d platformer in years? NOPE, NEEDS SWORDS AND GUNS AND SHIT, WE'RE FUCKIN' GROWN UPS!!!

;)

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
What is the problem exactly? I just logged in and bought some Magika DLC for 80c to test and it went through fine.
New account, for some reason the option for Paypal has been halted. Get this:
Dn5Yy.png

PS. That Entourage episode? Fucking frustrating.

Don't need Mario. Period.

Come up with something new for fucks sake.

HolyCheck said:
KIDDY GAMES MAN. I WANT TO SHOOT

Bah, I'm not a crazed shooter fan. I play shooters once or maybe twice, then forget about them...unless they have a good multiplayer or co-op.

Top Bottom