• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Agyar

reptilescorpio said:
Also fuck you to Blackboard/Vista for making me sign into my uni account using IE because the moronic IT guys can't get it to run properly on Chrome. I just want to upload my damn assignment. Simple stuff guys!

Don't blame the IT guys, Blackboard is a horrible and they know it. It just will not function completely with some browsers and there's nothing they can do to fix it.

But hey, I'm sure when you graduate you'll be ultra-trained to find the magic workWithChrome variable they couldn't due to their incompetency.

Agyar said:
Don't blame the IT guys, Blackboard is a horrible and they know it. It just will not function completely with some browsers and there's nothing they can do to fix it.

But hey, I'm sure when you graduate you'll be ultra-trained to find the magic workWithChrome variable they couldn't due to their incompetency.
I blame the it guys for refusing to help. Rather than jst say that chrome is crap and everone should just use ie I would prefer some constructive feedback on why they continue to invest in blackboard when other unis have done away with it.

midonnay

Salazar said:
Holy shit at the difference between Richard Pratt's wife and his mistress.

Fp3A7.jpg

she was witty in the Incredibles :O

Agyar

reptilescorpio said:
I blame the it guys for refusing to help. Rather than jst say that chrome is crap and everone should just use ie I would prefer some constructive feedback on why they continue to invest in blackboard when other unis have done away with it.

What Unis have done away with it? As far I as know, most have implemented or are implementing it. Secondly, it's hardly the IT guys call as to what LMS the Uni puts in, that's usually decided at a much higher level.

As for blaming them for refusing to help, I don't know exactly what you want from them. It sounds like you want to be told to use IE so you can bitch and moan about having to use IE.

Jintor

Why is Firefox hanging for so long when it's forced to open a download tab?

Don't make me use Chrome, I'm already doing that also :T

Deeku

Jintor said:
Blackboard is a piece of crap. I would trust uploading things onto forums more than I trust Blackboard.
I don't think I've ever had any problems with it. Then again, I've never had to upload anything. I guess doing online quizzes were kinda dodgey at times, but for the most part it's alright.

Kirby102

Jintor said:
Blackboard is a piece of crap. I would trust uploading things onto forums more than I trust Blackboard.
...shit I have an alpha game project due in 1hour and 3 minutes, and I have to submit it to Blackboard. JOYNESS.

It's about 40MB. *panicks*

Jintor

commanderdeek said:
I don't think I've ever had any problems with it. Then again, I've never had to upload anything. I guess doing online quizzes were kinda dodgey at times, but for the most part it's alright.

I just rage because it looks like something that someone shat out in the late 90s is all. Especially when the rest of our network just got a major facelift and looks like it belongs to an exciting, only very slightly behind the times university.

hirokazu

commanderdeek said:
Our uni's online thing is called balckboard too! Wonder if it's the same thing?
Probably the same, it's a third party commercial piece of software, and it sucks balls. I can't download PDFs from it because it requires me to have Acrobat Reader installed to do so and I don't want to install that crap. The actual URL to the PDF is obscured so you can't even save the PDF even if you can view it in the browser with a different PDF plug-in.

My workaround is to dig out the URL from the browser cache and then download it, but not before I curse the stupid ass system.

A lot of the unis use it.

I've used it at UNSW and UTS. I don't have too many problems with it though as I'm normally not required to submit anything through it.

Wtf was that Bern? I really don't want to know what you were surfing for when you found that.

Agyar said:
What Unis have done away with it? As far I as know, most have implemented or are implementing it. Secondly, it's hardly the IT guys call as to what LMS the Uni puts in, that's usually decided at a much higher level.

As for blaming them for refusing to help, I don't know exactly what you want from them. It sounds like you want to be told to use IE so you can bitch and moan about having to use IE.
Sorry for voicing an opinion on what I think is a poor part of the education service that my university is providing me. I should be happy that I can browse it at all regardless of how cumbersome and inefficient it is.
I would have liked for them to offer some kind of solution, or at the very least say that Chrome is not yet supported but they would like to support it at some point in the future rather than straight out say that I am an idiot for using a horrible browser like Chrome and that IE is far and away the only browser worth using. Since they work with the system (as they take it down for maintenance every few weeks) I had hoped that they knew of a backup solution to upload files to the blackboard system rather than the Java system that seems work in IE but not in Chrome. At least they recently implemented an update that allows pdf files to be saved using the original file name rather than an automated gibberish.

Deeku

Jintor said:
I just rage because it looks like something that someone shat out in the late 90s is all. Especially when the rest of our network just got a major facelift and looks like it belongs to an exciting, only very slightly behind the times university.
hey man, we have a LAKE! Not many unis have lakes, right? lol

I actually don't remember what the online thingy at unsw was when I was there, which shows how much work I did and explains why I didn't complete my original degree there:/

All I can remember was unimail and myunsw, though I'm sure that's all changed now. I also remember paying like 10cents a megabyte or something for wireless. The good ol days!

elfinke

I'm sure the thing my uni used to use was Blackboard, and yes it was a piece of shit. Whatever it used was shit in any event.

We now use Moodle, and it's many times better, but for unit-based foruming and fulfilling online components it is not within a Himalayan mile of any forum I've used in the last few years. Still, it's a usable and workable Improvement.

So sorry if anyone (Aon) was waiting on a build of my game, got busy and for some reason the build I'm using has a dodgy as fuck level model or something that is making the camera spaz out. Once that's fixed (tomorrow) I'll post a build for you guys to play and attempt to break and give some really basic feedback.

Aon

Eagerly anticipating!

I shall make a bug database!

(I might have applied for a QA job at Firemint for some reason) [because they were advertising]

Ydahs

Megadrive said:
So sorry if anyone (Aon) was waiting on a build of my game, got busy and for some reason the build I'm using has a dodgy as fuck level model or something that is making the camera spaz out. Once that's fixed (tomorrow) I'll post a build for you guys to play and attempt to break and give some really basic feedback.
Is this that game I commented on a couple weeks back?

I'm up for giving it another shot.

Boken

Banned
UNSW can't make up it's mind what it wants to use though. I remember 3 years ago when we were trialling Blackboard and now we're trialing Moodle. Its a bit annoying to have to sign into two different systems to access your stuff.

Omikron

reptilescorpio said:
Sorry for voicing an opinion on what I think is a poor part of the education service that my university is providing me. I should be happy that I can browse it at all regardless of how cumbersome and inefficient it is.
I would have liked for them to offer some kind of solution, or at the very least say that Chrome is not yet supported but they would like to support it at some point in the future rather than straight out say that I am an idiot for using a horrible browser like Chrome and that IE is far and away the only browser worth using. Since they work with the system (as they take it down for maintenance every few weeks) I had hoped that they knew of a backup solution to upload files to the blackboard system rather than the Java system that seems work in IE but not in Chrome. At least they recently implemented an update that allows pdf files to be saved using the original file name rather than an automated gibberish.

If you wanna blame someone blame the devs. They made a tech choice that results in the product you use. Having a go at IT is pointless as they canonly support what they are given.

Now if you really must use chrome. I suggest IE tab or whatever the extension is. Even works with one of our arcane systems at work

Omi said:
If you wanna blame someone blame the devs. They made a tech choice that results in the product you use. Having a go at IT is pointless as they canonly support what they are given.

Now if you really must use chrome. I suggest IE tab or whatever the extension is. Even works with one of our arcane systems at work
I was more having a go at the rude helpdesk techs who champion Blackboard and ignore ny slightly negative feedback on its performance. I understand being saddled with someone else's mistake but to straight out ignore my questions and refuse to help is irritating.
It is mainly Americans that I know that show me their home university intranets that make me annoyed at using WebCT, even the company I work for has a pretty impressive suite of tools that seems to be cobbled together from several different solutions.

Thanks for the tip on the extension too! A solution has been found.

Omikron

reptilescorpio said:
I was more having a go at the rude helpdesk techs who champion Blackboard and ignore ny slightly negative feedback on its performance. I understand being saddled with someone else's mistake but to straight out ignore my questions and refuse to help is irritating.
It is mainly Americans that I know that show me their home university intranets that make me annoyed at using WebCT, even the company I work for has a pretty impressive suite of tools that seems to be cobbled together from several different solutions.

Thanks for the tip on the extension too! A solution has been found.

Not sure if they are straight out refusing, or are they by chance just telling you they don't support Chrome?

Big difference IMO.

commanderdeek said:
hey man, we have a LAKE! Not many unis have lakes, right? lol

I actually don't remember what the online thingy at unsw was when I was there, which shows how much work I did and explains why I didn't complete my original degree there:/

All I can remember was unimail and myunsw, though I'm sure that's all changed now. I also remember paying like 10cents a megabyte or something for wireless. The good ol days!

You've only got one lake? http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=uq&hl=en&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=49.127494,93.076172&vpsrc=0&t=m&z=16

(Wait that uni are you at? Are you at UQ? I'll stop being smug if you are)

elfinke

So this Nadal v Djokovic match is like watching a video game, the level of athleticism and just some of the shots being hit.

Absolutely amazing stuff.

Bernbaum

Rlan said:
Anyone think the EB Expo at the Gold Coast will be even worth it? Looks kind of bizarre: http://www.ebexpo.com.au/
I've got my tickets - both sessions for the Saturday. Could have winged a press pass but that would've been dishonest.

There was talk of having a first Cross-state AusGAF Allstars Meetup considering that people would be coming from interstate.

I think the actual Expo will be terrible.

FallbackPants said:
What's actually there? I can probably con my way into a media pass, but is there anything actually worth going for?

The window for press passes has come and gone.

jambo

elfinke said:
So this Nadal v Djokovic match is like watching a video game, the level of athleticism and just some of the shots being hit.

Absolutely amazing stuff.
Or it's like, you know, a tennis game.

=P

Bernbaum

Fantastic. Another friend leaves. Didn't even see this one coming as I hadn't checked my timetable and she leaves the country while I'm away on a work trip for the next month and neither of us have time for a final catch-up before we depart. This is horrible.

elfinke

jambo said:
Or it's like, you know, a tennis game.

=P

Yeah, but it's being played at such an unbelievable level - above and well beyond mere mortal levels; a universe apart from all other matches this tournament. 4th set and Nadal rallying, just had a 22 stroke rally from edge-to-edge won with a sensational line scraping winner.

Great stuff.

elfinke

What a rally - holy shitdamn.

Last day of work before 6 or 7 days off (2 of which for an intensive school). Really can't be arsed doing anything though.

Kritz

Banned
Bernbaum said:
There was talk of having a first Cross-state AusGAF Allstars Meetup considering that people would be coming from interstate.

I think the actual Expo will be terrible.
Y'know, I haven't escaped Tasmania in... Almost a decade. And uni holidays are coming up from nov to feb.

Or everyone ELSE could come down here! ;D

Bernbaum

elfinke said:
What a rally - holy shitdamn.

Last day of work before 6 or 7 days off (2 of which for an intensive school). Really can't be arsed doing anything though.
It's on the big telly at work. Great show by Nadal.

Kritz said:
Y'know, I haven't escaped Tasmania in... Almost a decade. And uni holidays are coming up from nov to feb.

Or everyone ELSE could come down here! ;D
You are one funny motherfucker Kritz! 5/5.

ShyGuy

legend166 said:
Can't believe I'm at work and can't watch the tennis.

RAGE.
Hi I don't post much but I'm forced to watch the score on usopen.org...! Looking like a good match now...and only now....

Top Bottom