• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Kritz

Banned
Fredescu said:
Paying $15 for headphones and $400 for HDMI cables are the same thing.

Paying more money than what something is worth is a concept that can apply for many things, amazingly.

jambo said:
HDMI cables should cost like $10
Australian retail disagrees.

Also, on the topic of spiders....I saw a big fat black widow some time ago in my backyard. So I did what I usually do, took my deodorant and a gas lighter, and roasted that bitch.

Then, the freakiest thing happened: She burst into a million baby spiders. Reminded me of that scene with the scarabs from The Mummy.

DeathJr said:

Also, on the topic of spiders....I saw a big fat black widow some time ago in my backyard. So I did what I usually do, took my deodorant and a gas lighter, and roasted that bitch.

Then, the freakiest thing happened: She burst into a million baby spiders. Reminded me of that scene with the scarabs from The Mummy.

kuT9W.gif

Jintor

So I find the idea of deliberately setting fire to a living thing distasteful (unless it was, you know, trying to kill me)

I am slightly amused by the image of a million burning spiders enveloping DeathJr though. Presumably he is now actually just a million spiders living within his skin.

Dead Man

Jintor said:
So I find the idea of deliberately setting fire to a living thing distasteful (unless it was, you know, trying to kill me)

I am slightly amused by the image of a million burning spiders enveloping DeathJr though. Presumably he is now actually just a million spiders living within his skin.
LOL

jambo

Yeah I hate when people see a spider and instantly try and kill it.

Move it outside you dolt, or just leave it alone if it already is. They're an important part of the ecosystem.

Agyar

Gazunta said:
I woke up with a spider on my face once. Big fucker, too. Almost swallowed the bastard.

I have set myself up the challenge of getting my company Twitter / FB accounts 50 followers each by the end of the week. I'm trying to decide between enticing new followers with free video games or gratuitous nudity.

You should randomly select me, for unbiased reasons.

Fredescu

Kritz said:
Paying more money than what something is worth is a concept that can apply for many things, amazingly.
If you think that headphones generally are worth less than $15, I imagine it applies to just about everything for you.

Yagharek

reptilescorpio said:
I agree completely. For some reason I really enjoyed Gears 1 SP. Then when I grabbed Gears 2 the magic had gone. Hate the weight of Marcus and the controls just feel slow to me. The gameplay is just jumping into cover, picking off headshots in a timely manner and repeat. The controls don't lend themselves well to the sections of gameplay that aren't confined to these cover runs and the vehicle sections are horrible. The Brumak ride at the end was pretty cool but again useless. I actually like the overarching story but it is told horribly and the voicework sits on the edge of horrible and tongue in cheek. Horde mode was a nice innovation and Horde 2.0 looks like a massive step up from all the imitators right now. Looking forward to Beast mode. The SP campaign will be another quick run for the sake of it like Black Ops, with some nice set pieces but no reason to return to it without copious amounts of alcohol and friends.
Hopefully Epic can finish the series and move onto a brand new IP. Even a PSN/XBLA Jazz Jackrabbit reboot would be much more interesting to me than another trudge through muscletown.

See, now I dont feel so bad/old/grumpy.

DeathJr said:

Now imagine them crawling all over your skin when youre asleep in bed in the middle of the night. Every little itch might be one of them....

Jintor said:

Try putting them in the microwave.

I have to get rid of big spiders in my backyard because if don't, my dogs will sniff and try to bite at them, and ultimately get sick. Its happened before, and I don't want to spend a 100 bucks at the vet again. Not to mention cleaning their puke from spider allergies.

jambo

trinest said:
Or you know, much cheaper like they are?

What?

DeathJr said:
I have to get rid of big spiders in my backyard because if don't, my dogs will sniff and try to bite at them, and ultimately get sick. Its happened before, and I don't want to spend a 100 bucks at the vet again. Not to mention cleaning their puke from spider allergies.

You have to roast them with a deodorant can and a lighter?

Omikron

Bug stories?

I shit you not, but I woke up in a daze one morning feeling something on my ear so I brushed at it a few times only to feel it actually enter my ear canal. At this point panic and alertness rises, only to feel like a hot needle is boring its way into my ear drum.

I get out of bed and try and flush it out, whatever the hell it is. Couldn't do it for the life of me and irritating whatever it was only made it attempt to bore further and deeper into my ear canal which also was accompanied by much sharp stabbing pain.

End up deciding to go to the hospital to get some trained expert at bug/object removal to take it out, and while sitting in triage getting my details taken, the EARWIG backs out and drops on the floor.

I politely ask the nurse for a tissue as I pick it up and show it to the slightly amused nurse and then proceed to crush that little fucker to death.

That'll learn it.

jambo said:
What?

You have to roast them with a deodorant can and a lighter?
Depending on the length of the cable, hdmi cables can be purchased for less than $5. Longer the cable, the more expensive it is.

No, I don't have to roast spiders, but it's the cleanest way without dirtying anything with their slime. Also makes for cool youtube videos.

If you find this disgusting, check out the videos of people feeding live mice to their turtles and piranhas.

Deeku

When I was in school, I was playing soccer and a fly flew up my nose and got stuck. So I had do that thing where you sniff your snot up your nose and coughed it out of my mouth.

And I'm scared of moths because they are scary and gross!

Kritz

Banned
Fredescu said:
If you think that headphones generally are worth less than $15, I imagine it applies to just about everything for you.

I certainly don't think $40 is an acceptable price for a pair of these things:

314236vcYuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I don't know, maybe small speakers attached to a length of copper are really expensive to produce. Maybe they contain illicit drugs that require dangerous smuggling operations to get them inside Australia. Maybe people are out of their minds.

I'd sooner spend $100 on an actual pair of headphones and at least be able to wear something comfortable with a decent cable length than pay $40 for your approval of my audio equipment's value.

Choc

Banned
DeathJr said:

yeah if you hit a pregnant spider, the babies run everywhere. Doing that in a house is not a good idea, because then you get the bastards for years afterwards and they all want revenge.

jambo

Those shitty, terrible, fucking horrible Apple ones certainly aren't worth $40, but my in-ear headphones are certainly worth the $60 I paid. Wonderful sound quality for tiny little buds.

And as if you'd only spend $100 on headphones, gotta pay more than that if you want good quality cans ;)

Jintor

I paid $25 for these IED Sony ones. They're alright, especially considering what I was using before (shitty IED ones that came with my 3DS extras pack). I had sweet Seinheisser portable headphones but, as all headphones do eventually, one of the ears broke.

Ydahs

commanderdeek said:
When I was in school, I was playing soccer and a fly flew up my nose and got stuck. So I had do that thing where you sniff your snot up your nose and coughed it out of my mouth.

And I'm scared of moths because they are scary and gross!
Oh boy, moths. Every summer a moth or two between 10-15cm gets stuck in our sun room. They're so big that I think they struggle to fly, since they just circle the floor fluttering their massive wings. It's also loud. Very loud.

And when I mention 15cm moth, I'm not exaggerating. These things are massive.

Choc said:
THE majority of Australians support the idea of a mining tax, with supporters outnumbering opponents almost two to one, according to a survey to be released today.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/strong-su...urvey-shows-20110918-1kg5m.html#ixzz1YNQmfx3H

finally we are growing a brain in Australia.

The shift is good but 10% and then 21% unsure....still reflects bad on us, make a freaking decision. Australia are effing horrible fence sitters. Just stand in the middle until something easy comes along or they get told what to do. mekka me angry!

Yagharek

So I'm going through a large assortment of my games from ps3/360/wii, including some CE stuff.

Is trading in AusGAF sanctioned/ok? I know there is a trading thread, but within AusGAF and Australian residents, its just a hell of a lot easier to do it here if it's allowed. I expect I'll have a list together in an hour, and would be looking just to do swaps
seeing as everyone here knows the value of importing makes sales impractical :p

Choc

Banned
Marshmellow said:
The shift is good but 10% and then 21% unsure....still reflects bad on us, make a freaking decision. Australia are effing horrible fence sitters. Just stand in the middle until something easy comes along or they get told what to do. mekka me angry!

people who dont want it work in mining

the others know people who work in mining

end of story

no doubt BHPs 22 billion AFTER tax profit is whats triggered this

Clipper

Ydahs said:
Oh boy, moths. Every summer a moth or two between 10-15cm gets stuck in our sun room. They're so big that I think they struggle to fly, since they just circle the floor fluttering their massive wings. It's also loud. Very loud.

And when I mention 15cm moth, I'm not exaggerating. These things are massive.
You remind me of the time I left my clothes out on the line overnight, then in the morning, when starting to unpack them from the basket in my room, discovering there were approximately 30 bogong moths hiding on the inside of all my clothes. These things are each about 6cm long and start flying around the room when they wake up. Cue a repetitive sequence of taking a shirt out of the basket, shaking it, catching them against a wall with a cup and paper, then releasing them out the window.

From that day forth, I always shook my clothes between taking them off the line and putting them in the basket.

Choc said:
people who dont want it work in mining

the others know people who work in mining

end of story

no doubt BHPs 22 billion AFTER tax profit is whats triggered this

Yea i can figure that much out. I was just saying that in general Australia are fence-sitters.
This just being a small reflection example. Maybe my comment was a bit off to the side.

ps. I have 5 friends in mining. I am for the tax.

RandomVince said:
So I'm going through a large assortment of my games from ps3/360/wii, including some CE stuff.

Is trading in AusGAF sanctioned/ok?

If not, pm me, i will be interested in 360 and ps3 mate. :D

Clipper

Looking good, jambo! Can't wait for mine to arrive... or ship for that matter :(.

RandomVince said:

Is trading in AusGAF sanctioned/ok? I know there is a trading thread, but within AusGAF and Australian residents, its just a hell of a lot easier to do it here if it's allowed. I expect I'll have a list together in an hour, and would be looking just to do swaps
There's certainly precedent. We've had people spruiking their eBay auctions and stuff in here before, even. Go for it.

Choc

Banned
you know what else probably pisses people off

those 'this is australian mining' ads

as in 'please don't tax us because this lady came to the mining and met her man and now wants a 2 carat diamond ring. Sure we are affecting the rest of the economy in a big way, but think of the lady!'

i happen to think that one about the hunter valley with the baby machines is good though. Some of the ads though are shit. 'Hi I came from france and love working in mining blah blah blah'

no one cares, except the baby one.

Jintor

RandomVince said:

interested

Kritz

Banned
Fredescu said:
Me either.

But then when I looked around JB Hifi and Dick Smith (well there's my problem), you end up with two lots of earbuds.

$10 ones that might as well have spikes coming out of them,

$40 ones that look identical to the $10 ones except the thing you stick into your ear actually looks ear shaped,

and finally the $80+ pairs that have LED lights because I guess everyone really liked the Book of Eli, or simply decided they want to make their face look like the inside of my computer.

I feel like I could just let my phone play my podcasts through its internal speakers, and if anyone gets annoyed enough to ask me to turn it off, I give them five dollars. At the rate headphones break it seems like it'd be a little more cost efficient.

At one stage I had no problems with spiders. I mean I didn't want to touch then, but they didn't scare me.
Then I got bitten by a red back on the leg. It fucking hurt and my legs were in a cold, clammy sweat constantly. I'd have to change the sheets at night from the amount they were sweating. Then when I went to the hospital, they just said I wasn't getting any antivemon and to harden up. Thanks doctors!

Kritz said:
I certainly don't think $40 is an acceptable price for a pair of these things:

314236vcYuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I don't know, maybe small speakers attached to a length of copper are really expensive to produce. Maybe they contain illicit drugs that require dangerous smuggling operations to get them inside Australia. Maybe people are out of their minds.

I'd sooner spend $100 on an actual pair of headphones and at least be able to wear something comfortable with a decent cable length than pay $40 for your approval of my audio equipment's value.

Agreed. I hate most inner ear buds. They aren't comfortable and they are shit. I spent like $40 maybe on a pair of better ones with the squishy plastic inner ear bit (yeah, I know all the technical terms) and they rock. I'm a big fan.

This was fantastic too.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2011/09/18/261011_ntnews.html

The comments are pretty much full of people going "I hate terrorists" and others saying the piece was amazing.
The ones that hate it then go on to say how its shocking journalism and not an article. No shit sherlock. It's an opinion piece.

Deeku

Clipper said:
You remind me of the time I left my clothes out on the line overnight, then in the morning, when starting to unpack them from the basket in my room, discovering there were approximately 30 bogong moths hiding on the inside of all my clothes. These things are each about 6cm long and start flying around the room when they wake up. Cue a repetitive sequence of taking a shirt out of the basket, shaking it, catching them against a wall with a cup and paper, then releasing them out the window.

From that day forth, I always shook my clothes between taking them off the line and putting them in the basket.
OMG! That happened once so I shake the crap out of my clothes too. Although I wasn't as nice as you as I got a vacuum cleaner to deal with them.

But yeah, leaving clothes overnight outside in the summer is risky. Those big black moths are sneaky mofos!

RandomVince said:

What are ya sellin'?

Shaneus

RandomVince said:

Preference to Ranchers on here first? ;)

Choc

Banned
http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2011/09/18/261011_ntnews.html

Why is one is one of the most smart journalists in Australia working in the Northern Territory and not working nationally or something.

most Australians won't read that and it needs to be read.

oh wait i know why, because she won't toe the News Limited or Fairfax agenda and peddle bullshit after bullshit out

It was AMAZING on the weekend you saw direct contrast of agendas. NRL ok sure not that big in the grand scheme of things but two editorials about Gallops comments re: storm fans

Fairfax said he should resign and be sacked etc etc (Phil Gould)

News Limited (who own the NRL and appointed Gallop) say he should be left alone and it was a mistake (Ricky Stuart)

Agendas all the way baby.

Also comments on that story show what is wrong with this nation right now.

Exhibit A

If it wasnt for the "bogans who defeated the japanese in WW2, there would be no aborigines left in this country now....and thats a fact documented in japanese war history so anyone touting that the aborigines are hard done by better think again....Aborigines and immigrants are treated better than anyone else in this country, given more handouts, given everything,.problem is these two groups exploit whats given to them, bludge off the system and do absolutely nothing towards giving back....

Posted by: peter m 2:11pm today

Top Bottom