• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Why do we have above the line voting?

If we want to remove the nonsense that "a vote for greens is a vote for labor" and make somewhat of a step to a multi-party democracy, wouldn't it be sensible to remove Party-dictated preference allocation and let the electorate decide themselves?

Because probably a large proportion of the electorate won't bother to research any candidates

Dead Man

Wouldn't be so sure. The camera always makes you look like a bigger dolt then you are, because articulation == intelligence. Obviously, that isn't true in the real world.
It must be a degrees of separation thing. You might have a preconception of a person until you meet them, then you think "he/she's not so bad". How many people in this thread have met Tony Abbott personally?

It's not really relevant how smart or nice he is in person though, what's relevant is how he does the job of being a politician and he seems to be a bit shit at it (besides the all important criteria of winning).

1000584_10151530948240493_1940296069_n.jpg

Fredescu

If we want to remove the nonsense that "a vote for greens is a vote for labor" and make somewhat of a step to a multi-party democracy, wouldn't it be sensible to remove Party-dictated preference allocation and let the electorate decide themselves?
The Greens tried to introduce preferential voting above the line but the majors knocked it on the head.

Dead Man

It would make too much sense and reduce the power of the two major parties, so it will never happen.

markot

Banned
The whole reasoning for putting the Greens last though, its not 'oh theyre awful!' its "Oh we dont want to share power!"

What a fucking joke.

Myansie

Wouldn't be so sure. The camera always makes you look like a bigger dolt then you are, because articulation == intelligence. Obviously, that isn't true in the real world.
It must be a degrees of separation thing. You might have a preconception of a person until you meet them, then you think "he/she's not so bad". How many people in this thread have met Tony Abbott personally?

That sounds like a very right wing thing to say. Don't judge your leaders. You can't tell what there like. Trust us, we know what you want. This whole democracy thing is just so judgemental.

Luckily our right isn't that extreme, but you still skipped over why I'm accusing him of being a dumb ass. It wasn't a case of misarticulation, we understood what he meant, he's misjudged what is acceptable behaviour and made a sexist comment.

Not a smart thing to do.

Dead Man

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd rules out deals to form minority government

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has ruled out resorting to a deal with cross-benchers to form another minority Labor government, as both major parties move to minimise the chances of another hung parliament after the federal election.

The Greens have accused Labor and the Coalition of shutting them out of politics after Opposition Leader Tony Abbott announced that Liberal candidates would recommend the minority party be preferenced last - below Labor - in every seat on September 7.

The Prime Minister declined to meet the Coalition challenge for him to match that pledge, saying preferences were "organisational matters", and would not say whether he supported any preference deals being made with the Greens or not.

But he did promise that Labor would not again negotiate with the crossbench in the event of another hung parliament.

"My mission ... is that we are returned as a majority government. That's the best thing for the nation," Mr Rudd said.

"We'll be not entering into any coalition agreements, we won't be having any negotiated agreements, we won't have any deals with any independent or minor party.

"Our objective is to be a government, a majority government in our own right."

You fucking morons.

lexi

Banned
Are you kidding? If Abbott wins Julia Gillard will look like FDR in comparison, popularity-wise. He will be knifed, probably by Turnbull, within 18 months.

hidys

So how many terms are people expecting Abbott to have?

I thought that when he became leader he wouldn't last two months so who knows. We will see how well he is capable of governing. He wasn't exactly a great minister and was more there be Howard's attack dog.

Fredescu

Are you kidding? If Abbott wins Julia Gillard will look like FDR in comparison, popularity-wise. He will be knifed, probably by Turnbull, within 18 months.

18 months? That will be more than one term for Abbott. Remember, he's going to push for a double dissolution election after his attempts at killing the ETS fail to get through the senate. We'll all be voting again this time next year. He will get back in with an increased majority because *rabble rabble tax* and he'll be safe for that second term because of it.

The third? Not so sure, but you're talking about the country that gave John Howard four terms. I wouldn't put it past us.

1 Abbott term and Peter Beattie as PM by 2016. It's not a joke, that's what'll happen since all of the experienced Labor folk are tainted by the Rudd/Gillard era.

Dead Man

Liberal campaign volunteer was fixing Labor election posters, says Pyne
A volunteer worker for Federal Liberal frontbencher Christopher Pyne has been cautioned by police for allegedly interfering with Labor Party posters in his electorate of Sturt in Adelaide's east.

The Labor Party says a passerby took photos last week of Fairfax journalist Monica O'Shea interfering with posters for its candidate Rick Sarre.

Her alleged actions prompted the ALP to lodge a complaint with police who interviewed Ms O'Shea and cautioned her.

Mr Pyne has defended Ms O'Shea, insisting she was actually helping out.

He says he is proud of her.

"I am absolutely confident that no wrongdoing has occurred and I understand that she will be entirely cleared," he said.

"She was fixing them for the Labor Party because they'd been so poorly put up.

"I think that Monica O'Shea has been a stalwart volunteer for the Liberal Party for years, I have great faith in her I believe her and I'm sure it will all end well."

Ms O'Shea is a journalist for the Port Pirie Recorder.

Fairfax has declined to comment on her role campaigning for the Liberal Party.

South Australian police say no charges will be laid.

Uh huh, of course she was.

Yagharek

What I want to know is this: what's wrong with Iranians?

Hear me out.

Apparently Indonesia has just stopped issuing Visas to Iranians who use the country as a stopover on their way to Australia to claim asylum.

Apparently Iranians should not be claiming asylum. Because reasons. Nevermind the recent failed green revolution they had there which we were all cheering about and then upset about because revolutionary guard soldiers were killing protestors and reasserting government control.

Now, if you ask me that sounds remarkably like the Stasi and similar secret military police in countries like East Germany, the former Czechoslovakia, Argentina, numerous USSR republics and dictatorships. Only difference being some were under the rule of communists and not a theocratic dictatorship pretending to be democratic.

Could someone please tell me what Iranians are doing wrong, just as one example, and why we shouldn't be allowing them to claim refugee status in Australia just as many Eastern Europeans did in the 1980s and 1990s?

Some of my best friends are from Eastern Europe and the only thing I don't like about them is that they can do this really cool rolling rrrr sound and I can't.

Am I missing something? To me there should be absolutely no reason they can't claim asylum here. IMO the only thing they are doing wrong is paying for a shitty boat ride instead of a plane ticket.

Also, completely 100% seriously, the people I know who are Iranian are absolutely lovely. I cant understand the reason Australian media/immigration debate is demonising them.

Fredescu

Abbott will serve zero terms.

He won't win.

I'm not confident about this yet, but I do think zero is far more likely than one.

2>0>>3>>>>1

Also, completely 100% seriously, the people I know who are Iranian are absolutely lovely.

There aren't anywhere near enough Persian food joints either. I used to work for a company owned by Iranians (they refer to themselves as Persian) and every quarter we'd have a company meeting with food supplied by a different Persian place and it was always amazing.

Yagharek

I knew that Persia is part of what is now Iran, but I didnt know that.

In any case, there is no reason to single them out in the media given they have legitimate claims.

freddy

Banned

Hear me out.

Apparently Indonesia has just stopped issuing Visas to Iranians who use the country as a stopover on their way to Australia to claim asylum.

Apparently Iranians should not be claiming asylum. Because reasons. Nevermind the recent failed green revolution they had there which we were all cheering about and then upset about because revolutionary guard soldiers were killing protestors and reasserting government control.

Now, if you ask me that sounds remarkably like the Stasi and similar secret military police in countries like East Germany, the former Czechoslovakia, Argentina, numerous USSR republics and dictatorships. Only difference being some were under the rule of communists and not a theocratic dictatorship pretending to be democratic.

Could someone please tell me what Iranians are doing wrong, just as one example, and why we shouldn't be allowing them to claim refugee status in Australia just as many Eastern Europeans did in the 1980s and 1990s?

Some of my best friends are from Eastern Europe and the only thing I don't like about them is that they can do this really cool rolling rrrr sound and I can't.

Am I missing something? To me there should be absolutely no reason they can't claim asylum here. IMO the only thing they are doing wrong is paying for a shitty boat ride instead of a plane ticket.

Also, completely 100% seriously, the people I know who are Iranian are absolutely lovely. I cant understand the reason Australian media/immigration debate is demonising them.

Is the second and third highlighted text happening or will it happen as a consequence of the first? Is Australia telling Indonesia to disallow Iranians or do they have reasons of their own?

Yagharek

Is the second and third highlighted text happening or will it happen as a consequence of the first? Is Australia telling Indonesia to disallow Iranians or do they have reasons of their own?

Not entirely sure. Only heard it on the radio on the way home on ABC, so I dont know full context as to whether it is a new, old or proposed change (re: Indonesian elections next year).

freddy

Banned
Not entirely sure. Only heard it on the radio on the way home on ABC, so I dont know full context as to whether it is a new, old or proposed change (re: Indonesian elections next year).

It looks like it's because Iran along with Sri Lanka and Afghanistan(who are already banned from obtaining 30 day visas) has been flagged as a 'major source country'. So rather than a discrimination thing it's more trying to shut down the main flow of refugees. It was a request of Kevin Rudd though, but it was bought to his attention by Indonesian officials working in tandem with Australian Immigration.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-18/indonesia-to-change-visa-requirements-for-iranians/4829434

LOL, Wilkie taking shots at everyone these days :)

1185780_711345665545984_2146502518_n.jpg

Pretty shiteful ad by Labor too.

Gross, Wilkie could not have made his intentions clearer. Labor are preparing to ramp up the shit-flinging to unprecedented levels.

The way the major parties have demonized 3rd parties and independents this campaign is gross, the only thing that benefits from the 2 party system is the major parties themselves.

Ishka here has had their 50% off sale running since they opened over a fucking year ago. I thought that was illegal?

Hear me out.

800px-OliverNorth.JPG

Agreed little buddy. The few I have met here are lovely.

senahorse

The Coalition will ramp up its hardline stance on refugees on Friday, announcing that almost 32,000 asylum seekers who have already arrived in Australia by boat will never get permanent settlement as well as stripping them of the right to appeal to the courts.

The Coalition would also introduce indefinite work-for-the-dole obligations for those found to be refugees.

A Coalition government would scrap the right of asylum seekers to appeal to the courts, which in the March quarter brought the number of asylum seekers who were granted refugee status from 65.3 per cent to more than 90 per cent.

Opposition immigration spokesman Scott Morrison said the Coalition would return to a ''non-statutory'' process, in which a single caseworker would decide the fate of asylum seekers.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...r-refugees-ruled-out-20130815-2rzzy.html#poll

This is utterly disgraceful, I often cite the NBN as my election issue but if there was ever a reason not to vote someone in, this is it. I know Labor isn't much better but the absurdity has got to stop. Christine Milne was dead right when she said their is a competition between the two major parties over who can be the cruelest...

senahorse

What pisses me off even more is the poll on SMH which has 6000 votes is 50/50 on support for this. Yeah I know demographics, coalition shills etc, but seriously, whoever thinks this is a good thing, well, fuck you.

Omikron

What pisses me off even more is the poll on SMH which has 6000 votes is 50/50 on support for this. Yeah I know demographics, coalition shills etc, but seriously, whoever thinks this is a good thing, well, fuck you.
Nah, probably that guy that makes sure all polls end 50/50.

wonzo

Banned
Source: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...rzzy.html#poll

This is utterly disgraceful, I often cite the NBN as my election issue but if there was ever a reason not to vote someone in, this is it. I know Labor isn't much better but the absurdity has got to stop. Christine Milne was dead right when she said their is a competition between the two major parties over who can be the cruelest...
This is utterly disgusting even by the Libs standards, what the fuck.

Online polls are worthless as they're usually vote bombed by party hacks with too much time on their hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom