• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dryk

Whelp, no R&D for us anymore

CSIRO - 500 losses
Australian National Nuclear Research and Development Organisation - 64 losses
Geoscience Australia - 96 losses
Bureau of Meteorology - 58 losses
DSTO - 150 losses
NHMRC - 9 losses

RV Investigator - 180 days/year down from 300
Australian Synchrotron - no forward funding after 2 years
Square Kilometre Array - no forward funding after 2 years

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...ain-warning-20140522-38rqy.html#ixzz32WSuWQT6

Dead Man

So torn over this. Sigh.

Come join us on the dark side :) You know you want to rail against the bollocks, whatever it is. Also, we have cake.

CSIRO - 500 losses
Australian National Nuclear Research and Development Organisation - 64 losses
Geoscience Australia - 96 losses
Bureau of Meteorology - 58 losses
DSTO - 150 losses
NHMRC - 9 losses

RV Investigator - 180 days/year down from 300
Australian Synchrotron - no forward funding after 2 years
Square Kilometre Array - no forward funding after 2 years

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...ain-warning-20140522-38rqy.html#ixzz32WSuWQT6

All just pesky experts, we don't need them anyway. We are better qualified to be able to know what is best. Who wants to be a clever country anyway?

Dryk

All just pesky experts, we don't need them anyway. We are better qualified to be able to know what is best. Who wants to be a clever country anyway?
Well all that rhetoric about efficient spending melts when you throw $20 billion into health research while tanking research infrastructure

Dead Man

Well all that rhetoric about efficient spending melts when you throw $20 billion into health research while tanking research infrastructure

Of course it does, but nobody cares except some whiny hippy freeloaders.

Also, in honour of Arksy's comment about being cross, frowny Dead Man returns for the avatar for a while :)

Dead Man

Best to join us - your brain's going to tear straight into after this one...

2012: Bridget Abbott, BMW brand ambassador. 2013: PM Abbott awards BMW contract #auspol http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...ct-was-part-of-a-vendetta-20131212-2zabq.html http://twitter.com/NewsAustralia/status/469765674554765312/photo/1

https://twitter.com/NewsAustralia/status/469765674554765312

Jobs for the girls as well as jobs for the boys? So one daughter with scholarships and a uni job, another with a senior DFAT job, and now this?

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
So torn over this. Sigh.
If you're waiting for someone to tell you to turn in your Liberal membership and start your own party with an adorable sackboy mascot and rally the moderates and small-l liberals and fans of stuffed toys with a grassroots campaign and then get sued into oblivion by Sony and then write a tell-all book about the ordeal in order to pay off the damages and then get done again by the proceeds of crime act only for George Brandis to be so moved by your plight that he appoints you as his chief advisor and then your advice leads to a modest restoration of sanity to the Liberal party and then they narrowly defeat Labor at the next election causing all the leftists from neogaf and twitter and the ABC to post vines of themselves weeping bitterly in the streets then get real, it's not going to happen.

Dead Man

https://newmatilda.com/2014/05/23/whitehouse-denies-lobbying-pm-cant-recall-and-400-people-saw-it

The Whitehouse Institute of Design has tonight denied ever lobbying Prime Minister Tony Abbott over education policy or the length of time his government takes to accredit its tertiary courses.

And the Prime Minister’s office appears to be in step, more or less, with a spokesperson stating that the Prime Minister “does not recall” ever being lobbied by the owner of the design school, Leanne Whitehouse.

Mr Abbott also has “no recollection” of any discussion regarding government policy in relation to the college with Les Taylor, the chairman of Whitehouse, a generous Liberal Party donor and a personal friend of the Abbott family.

There’s only one problem: Leanne Whitehouse did lobby the Prime Minister over education policy and the accreditation of Whitehouse courses. And she did it in front of 400 witnesses, with a few drinks under her belt, before whisking the Prime Minister away to a private VIP function where the lobbying intensified, and the Dom Perignon – two cases of it - flowed freely.

Documents and testimony provided to New Matilda reveal that on December 3 last year, the Prime Minister attended Whitehouse’s 25th anniversary celebrations, an event which also showcased the work of its graduating students, including Frances Abbott.

It was by all accounts a gala event, with more than 400 people in attendance, including the Prime Minister’s wife Margaret.

Staff insiders say the event was travelling smoothly, until a break between catwalk parades when owner Leanne Whitehouse decided to ad lib on the microphone.

A Whitehouse insider told New Matilda Ms Whitehouse began complaining about the cost and length of time it takes the Institute to get its courses accredited by the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA) – the federal government authority which regulates tertiary courses in Australia.

“[Leanne] was saying Whitehouse had been around for 25 years, and that it's a lot of work, and a lot of paperwork to keep it running,” the insider said.

“She said there’s a lot of legislation and that it costs millions of dollars to get accredited.

“And then she turned and said ‘… and yes, I am looking at you, Prime Minister’.

“She was p*ssed – not fall down p*ssed – but p*ssed. I thought, I cannot believe she just did that. She put him on the spot.

“But in my head, I knew his daughter went there for free, and you don't have the grounds to ask a favour like that in public unless they owe you something.”

Four different people who attended the event have verfied this version of events.

The insider says that as the event wore on, the lobbying intensified, and Mr Abbott was taken upstairs to a separate VIP function, with about two dozen others, including senior staff, guests and board Chairman and friend Les Taylor.

“[Abbott] was clearly uncomfortable. He clearly felt like he was being lobbied,” the insider said.

This account is backed up by a call from the Prime Minister’s office to Whitehouse two months later, in the lead-up to the formal graduation ceremony for Frances Abbott’s year.

Officials form the Prime Minister’s office warned that they did not want “a fuss to be made this time”.

“He was very specific that he wanted to be there as a father. He didn’t want special treatment. He didn’t want to be in the VIP room.”

Whitehouse complied – the graduation was low-key, and staff say Mr Abbott mingled with guests, like any other parent.

There is no evidence that the Prime Minister reacted in anyway to the lobbying. But what could prove politically awkward for the Prime Minister is the timing, because six weeks after his first visit to Whitehouse – but four weeks before his second - Whitehouse finally received approval from the federal government to launch a new course, and at an academic level it had never before achieved.

More at the link.

Myansie

Whoa and this bit...

On January 15, TEQSA awarded accreditation to Whitehouse to launch a new Masters in Design course. Whitehouse had been trying for at least a year for the accreditation.

TEQSA rejects any suggestion that the timing is anything more than a coincidence. Indeed, the agency is known for its fierce independence, the reason why the Abbott Government has already introduced legislation to parliament aimed at tearing the organisation apart, and dismissing the Commissioners at its helm

I posted earlier about my own personal experience with lobbying between Ramsay Health and the Abbott government. It makes this look like chicken feed by comparison.

This is just the start. There is a lot more to come.

r1chard

Sorry, I'm quoting the second post of this story here because I'm lazy:
The Prime Moron is going world wide!

The Washington Post
This makes me sad. Seriously, I have international friends who are commiserating and I do not like being in this position.

On the other hand, major props to the guy for standing up and being counted. Much integrity, so win.

"Australia, the dumb country." Don't worry, we don't need to be smart, we can just dig money up. That'll last foreve... wait, what do you mean that market's already shrinking?

Wow, well that nails that scandal to the wall, doesn't it. Can't wait for the Oz to go after Whitehouse now.

jambo

SBS don't give a fuck right now

http://www.sbs.com.au/comedy/article/2014/05/23/news-corps-guide-being-good-student-protester

News Corp's guide to being a good student protester

YyvtZIB.jpg

Through state of the art reporting techniques and blatantly making it up our political correspondent James Colley has managed to obtain News Corp's latest article on student protests prior to it's publishing. What a scoop!

By James Colley

Student protesters have come under attack this week from the Herald Sun, Daily Telegraph and even Minister for Education Christopher Pyne. And right they are to criticise. For too long these whiny babies have been screaming for the chance to learn and give back to society - some of the greedy totts even want to be capable of feeding and sheltering themselves while they study. This isn’t acceptable. That’s why we’ve put together a handy guide on how to be a good student protester.

• Get a job. Unless that’s why you’re at University - To get a degree so you can get a job. Well... do it faster!

• Realise that only the rich deserve education. You would know that already if you were rich enough to be properly educated.

• Stop caring about your future! Live in the moment! YOLO. That’s a thing you kids like to say, right? YOLO!

• Consider brutal police violence a free scholarship to the school of hard knocks.

G5wcN0Z.jpg

• Think of crushing debt as practical training for your economics degree.

• Get yourself elected into Government. Then you can create policy that only serves your self interest. Don’t worry, we won’t pull you up on it.

• Always treat the people disrespecting you and jeopardising your future with the utmost respect for some reason.

• Stop complaining! Post-degree you’ll be earning more than the average Australian meaning you’ll only spend the next TWO decades paying off your crippling debt.

• Before asking for benefits think about how many young people died in war. Maybe you should die in a war?

3i4s6qO.jpg

• Try and write something inflammatory on your placard so we can focus on that instead of why you’re protesting. That helps us and you.

• Just go back to being those apathetic layabouts that we always accuse you of being.

• Stop pretending like our country needs doctors and nurses desperately. There is no shortage. You can’t swing a dead cat without hitting someone who wants to revive it.

• Prepare for Newstart cuts by weening yourself off food.

• Hit up one of your well-connected friends for $60,000 scholarships. Its worked before.

• Understand that your elders know more than you. After all, they went to University. For free.

• Just dip into your trust fund to pay for your degree. If you don’t have a trust fund then you should get one. They’re really handy.

e2HUitZ.jpg

• Remember that a journalism degree isn’t worth much anyway. I mean - look at our coverage of these protests.

• If you must protest do it in a respectful way. If a protest actually disrupts things people might start noticing it and we don’t want that.

• Don’t get your photograph in the paper. No one will respect you if that know you care about your education.

• If you sincerely do want an education then do your very best to not be born poor.

By following this handy guide you will save us the trouble of having to unfairly report on your protests. That’s good for us - the Photoshop department is costly and we don’t want to have to make cutbacks. Not sure if you’re aware but the job market is actually terrible right now. And it’s not like we can just go back to university and re-train. Apparently fees are set to hugely increase and students are getting none of the support they need to live. Someone ought to report on that.

Arksy

If you're waiting for someone to tell you to turn in your Liberal membership and start your own party with an adorable sackboy mascot and rally the moderates and small-l liberals and fans of stuffed toys with a grassroots campaign and then get sued into oblivion by Sony and then write a tell-all book about the ordeal in order to pay off the damages and then get done again by the proceeds of crime act only for George Brandis to be so moved by your plight that he appoints you as his chief advisor and then your advice leads to a modest restoration of sanity to the Liberal party and then they narrowly defeat Labor at the next election causing all the leftists from neogaf and twitter and the ABC to post vines of themselves weeping bitterly in the streets then get real, it's not going to happen.

:(

Come join us on the dark side :) You know you want to rail against the bollocks, whatever it is. Also, we have cake.

Oh man, cake.

Also, in honour of Arksy's comment about being cross, frowny Dead Man returns for the avatar for a while :)

Yesss! :D

Now time to lobby Mod-GAF for a tag change.

Arksy

Dear Liberal Party;

I am hereby resigning my position within the party and withdrawing my membership. The other side has cake.

Regards,
Arksy.

Thanks for posting that jambo!
James Colley is one of the A Rational Fear guys. Their satire game has been on fire lately.

This is great

edit:

How come you don't hear much about the finances of state governments compared to all the talk of budget emergencies and debts of fed govt?

State and territory borrowing for capital expenditure over the last seven years drove their finances backwards from $37 billion in the black in 2006 to $69 billion in debt in 2013.
Grattan Institute
'The states' financial position has deteriorated due to soaring infrastructure spending, accompanied by a decline in net operating surpluses,' says Mr Carling.
Centre for Indepedent Studies

r1chard

How come you don't hear much about the finances of state governments compared to all the talk of budget emergencies and debts of fed govt?
Because they're almost all Liberal governments and those never screw up the finances - only Labor does that. There's simply nothing that could possibly be reported.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
It's funny given that the states are fiscally vulnerable in a way that the fed isn't
Exactly. Yet Colin Barnett is going hard with his "borrow to build" mantra whilst also defending the budget that his fellow Liberal Premiers are crying foul over.

I have a distant vision of the federation having to bail out a state from debt. And if it were to be one of the eastern states, Western Australia would sequester themselves. The title of New Australia has already been used so I'm at a loss for what their new nation would be called at this moment.

I just came across this piece again which will never cease to be a good read. The choice quotes of Greg Sheridan's, the foreign editor of The Australia, reporting of Tony Abbott.

I have a distant vision of the federation having to bail out a state from debt. And if it were to be one of the eastern states, Western Australia would sequester themselves. The title of New Australia has already been used so I'm at a loss for what their new nation would be called at this moment.

I just came across this piece again which will never cease to be a good read. The choice quotes of Greg Sheridan's, the foreign editor of The Australia, reporting of Tony Abbott.

But all they've got is mineral resources. They have neither the population nor anything approaching the capability of defending them. You could basically let them secede and loot them for whatever they had at will. It'd probably be better for the federation in terms of net economic outcome. Though probably not in international relations.

I started writing a reply to this thread, but it was too long and ranty, it became a blog post. Cross posting here for convenience:

Me said:
I thought I'd comment on a political story that had emerged recently here in Australia wherein Prime Minister Tony Abbott is being forced to answer embarrassing questions about whether or not he used his influence to expedite the accreditation of a school attended by his daughter Frances. The school in question, the Whitehouse Institute of Design, is a private vocational establishment in Surry Hills, a gentrified suburb of inner Sydney known for its fashion.

The main thrust of the story is that the owner and director of the school, a close friend of the Abbotts, awarded Frances a one-off scholarship worth $60,000. This scholarship is not advertised, not regularly awarded, not open to applicants and conferred only at the discretion of the managing director. Ms Abbott received it after a single one-on-one interview between herself and said managing director and no announcement of any kind was made about the award.

In Australia, politicians are expected to disclose all gifts and donations they and their families may receive as a result of their positions in order to provide transparency to the public. A politician may be invited to attend a movie premiere or gala and such a thing might be declared. However, if a benefit is earned, say a political scion is paid a bonus at work or wins a competition, it need not be declared. This is only fair. After all, the proceeds of their own hard work is their own business.

The scandal then in this case, all stems from Mr Abbott's failure to declare the scholarship. When the story broke, the Prime Minister's office held to the line that the scholarship was earned and thus did not need declaring. Opponents in turn say that it was given in the course of lobbying by Whitehouse and accuse Mr Abbott of having a conflict of interest, especially in light of proposed sweeping changes to the way higher learning institutions are funded.

It seems to me that such accusations and insinuations are overblown. The director of Whitehouse probably saw in young Ms Abbott an opportunity to greatly enhance the prestige of her school at minimal cost to her bottom line. Counting among your alumni a child of the most actively powerful man in Australian politics is no small thing. That it would ingratiate her to the Abbott family on a personal level was, I'm sure, just a valuable bonus.

Much of the story sounds like people doing favours for their friends, something that happens all the time. Far from being frowned upon in private life, it is positively encouraged by many as the primary way to get ahead in life. Among business owners, this can take the form of discounted or gratis services, preferential hiring/promoting and referrals to/contact with other prosperous or influential people.

This kind of favoritism (dare I say nepotism?), while understandable and commonplace, has the effect of accruing these unearned personal benefits at the top. The list of rich people's friends tends not to include many people on the dole, after all. This is fine on an individual moral level, but bad for society as a whole if you believe that equal opportunity is a public good.

Which is why this behaviour, which is perfectly acceptable in the private sector, is abhorred by the public when exhibited by politicians. The Commonwealth exists for and belongs to all of us, not just those who were born into the right families, attended the right schools, live in the right postcode or have the right hobbies and priorities. Fitting the correct mould should not, by definition, be a prerequisite for fair treatment in a just society. People who presume to legislate and control the public purse strings are held to a higher standard for just this reason.

I'll be honest, to me it doesn't look as though there was intent on the part of Mr Abbott to grant Whitehouse any kind of preferential treatment and I don't think any evidence of such actions will be found. That doesn't mean that Mr Abbott hasn't failed multiple times to live up to the standards expected of a public servant, let alone the office of Prime Minister.

I couldn't tell you if this is a scandal fit to bring down a government. My gut says no, that it lacks substance and will blow over in a month or so, though not before causing untold embarrassment to the Abbott family and especially the young woman at the centre of this furor. The fact is however that it looks bad, and looking bad, from a political point of view, can be just as corrosive to public trust as being guilty.

What rankles me the most about this is the sheer hypocrisy. At a time when the government proposes to deregulate tuition fees, impose real interest to HECS/HELP loans (government-provided student loans hitherto interest free and linked to inflation alone) and gut the welfare schemes that allow many students to study in the first place, the child of the man presiding over these changes gets her degree for free and for no other reason than because the director of the school likes her. It's appalling and flies in the face of the personal responsibility mantra the Abbott government preaches.

Liberal Party ideology sees the world split between the ordinary and the excellent. The excellent, as they see it, have an outsized role in driving the engine of society and it is only just, they believe, that they should get to accrue as much of society's rewards as they can get their hands on. Similarly, the ordinary, making less of a contribution, are thus deserving of less. This is why high taxes are bad - they take money from the pockets of the excellent. This is also why welfare is bad - it puts money in the pockets of the undeserving.

That those who see the world this way and would count themselves among the excellent get such an unearned head start on the rest of society and do it so unapologetically puts a bitter taste in the mouth of anyone who has had to work their way through university or carries an unpaid student debt into their 30s (and following fee deregulation, their 40s). Life isn't fair, obviously, but public life should be about doing as much as possible to make it fairer.

TL;DR - I can understand how it happened, but that doesn't make it right.

Fred is onto something

He is correct objectively speaking. But we are still possessed of greater advantage than the average Australian female. That's kind of what happens when a 95% Advantage drops to 75%.

I do kind of agree with him that affirmative action is a negative thing, artificial positive bias in favor of certain groups does create unfair disadvantage. But as a temporary* thing its a necessary evil because institutional bias (which is an artificial negative bias) isn't going to undo itself, and that's a greater present issue.

*Relatively speaking. It could well take a couple of generations.

Arksy

He is correct objectively speaking. But we are still possessed of greater advantage than the average Australian female. That's kind of what happens when a 95% Advantage drops to 75%.

I do kind of agree with him that affirmative action is a negative thing, artificial positive bias in favor of certain groups does create unfair disadvantage. But as a temporary* thing its a necessary evil because institutional bias (which is an artificial negative bias) isn't going to undo itself, and that's a greater present issue.

*Relatively speaking. It could well take a couple of generations.

Might shock some people, but I'm down for that.

Myansie

I started writing a reply to this thread, but it was too long and ranty, it became a blog post. Cross posting here for convenience:

TL;DR - I can understand how it happened, but that doesn't make it right.

The Frances Abbott scandal reflects a pattern of behaviour. Joe Hockey`s cash for private time is in the same category. Tony Abbott would have known this should have been transparent, but figured he`d get away with it because family are off limits. Accepting the scholarship was always going to put him in an awkward position. He was lobbied openly by Whitehouse at Frances`s Graduation. As you`ve said they have benefitted quite well from our government. This is just the first scandal, there are more coming. ICAC hasn`t finished yet and Tony`s name keeps coming up.

Your comparison of perks between companies and government politicians doesn`t work. Company execs are grossly overpaid relative to the importance of their role. They have no where near the power of a prime minister. There is no company on the planet that could realistically compete against the Australian government. We have just bought 12 billion dollars worth of planes that carry missiles and may never even fire them in anger. What`s Apple got? A nice boat? You may park it next to the Opera House.

Jintor

So as I understand it Labor changed chaplaincy to cover secular student welfare workers, but the Libs have - in addition to giving chaplaincy a $245 million dollar shot in the arm - have also cut the secular student welfare workers from the program because, and I quote, 'Student welfare programs are... rightly provided by, and the responsibility of, the States'

Yes, that's right. The States - who the Federal Government has just killed funding for - are the ones responsible for the actual social welfare of students, so go bother them. But the $245 Million? For religious infiltration of schools? That's a fucking Federal responsibility.

Arksy

So as I understand it Labor changed chaplaincy to cover secular student welfare workers, but the Libs have - in addition to giving chaplaincy a $245 million dollar shot in the arm - have also cut the secular student welfare workers from the program because, and I quote, 'Student welfare programs are... rightly provided by, and the responsibility of, the States'

Yes, that's right. The States - who the Federal Government has just killed funding for - are the ones responsible for the actual social welfare of students, so go bother them. But the $245 Million? For religious infiltration of schools? That's a fucking Federal responsibility.

Um, I'm not sure that's correct.

Section 51 (xxiiiA) the provision of maternity allowances, widows' pensions, child endowment, unemployment, pharmaceutical, sickness and hospital benefits, medical and dental services (but not so as to authorize any form of civil conscription), benefits to students and family allowances;

hidys

Um, I'm not sure that's correct.

Section 51 (xxiiiA) the provision of maternity allowances, widows' pensions, child endowment, unemployment, pharmaceutical, sickness and hospital benefits, medical and dental services (but not so as to authorize any form of civil conscription), benefits to students and family allowances;

You are correct, but its the excuse the Libs are using.

The Frances Abbott scandal reflects a pattern of behaviour. Joe Hockey`s cash for private time is in the same category. Tony Abbott would have known this should have been transparent, but figured he`d get away with it because family are off limits. Accepting the scholarship was always going to put him in an awkward position. He was lobbied openly by Whitehouse at Frances`s Graduation. As you`ve said they have benefitted quite well from our government. This is just the first scandal, there are more coming. ICAC hasn`t finished yet and Tony`s name keeps coming up.

Your comparison of perks between companies and government politicians doesn`t work. Company execs are grossly overpaid relative to the importance of their role. They have no where near the power of a prime minister. There is no company on the planet that could realistically compete against the Australian government. We have just bought 12 billion dollars worth of planes that carry missiles and may never even fire them in anger. What`s Apple got? A nice boat? You may park it next to the Opera House.
I'm just saying that this is small potatoes. If and when it's found that dirty money made its way into Liberal Party coffers with the Prime Minister's knowledge, then my jimmies will be more rustled.

This? It's hypocritical and the kind if thing that makes me reflectively shout obscenities at my television, but I don't think it's particularly earth shattering in the grand scheme.

Dryk

I'm just saying that this is small potatoes. If and when it's found that dirty money made its way into Liberal Party coffers with the Prime Minister's knowledge, then my jimmies will be more rustled.

This? It's hypocritical and the kind if thing that makes me reflectively shout obscenities at my television, but I don't think it's particularly earth shattering in the grand scheme.
It may be small potatoes but those potatoes are being tossed on to an increasingly large pile. That said we elected the most obvious weathervane in recent memory so who the fuck knows anymore.

Myansie

A personal windfall of $60,000 is huge. There is an on going Royal Commission costing millions looking into Julia Gillard's ex boyfriend's dealing from 20 years ago. That exercise in dodgery? $7000.

wonzo

Banned
A personal windfall of $60,000 is huge. There is an on going Royal Commission costing millions looking into Julia Gillard's ex boyfriend's dealing from 20 years ago. That exercise in dodgery? $7000.
Don't forget a NSW Premier was done in for failing to claim a $3k+ bottle of Grange and that one wasn't even a good year!

Tony wasn't personally involved and probably didn't know he was going to be lobbied until after the fact. Frances Abbott is an adult and one not currently holding a public office. Not only can they claim that the scholarship was accepted in good faith, but also that the PM was ignorant of the details of the deal.

Again, I'm not saying that this isn't a pattern of behaviour that I abhor on principle or that I would be surprised if Abbott himself turns out to be brazenly, defiantly, unapologetically corrupt behind closed doors. I'm saying that anyone looking for a smoking gun will not find it in the form of Frances Abbott.

Myansie

Tony wasn't personally involved and probably didn't know he was going to be lobbied until after the fact. Frances Abbott is an adult and one not currently holding a public office. Not only can they claim that the scholarship was accepted in good faith, but also that the PM was ignorant of the details of the deal.

Again, I'm not saying that this isn't a pattern of behaviour that I abhor on principle or that I would be surprised if Abbott himself turns out to be brazenly, defiantly, unapologetically corrupt behind closed doors. I'm saying that anyone looking for a smoking gun will not find it in the form of Frances Abbott.

It's worse than that mate...

The Prime Minister’s daughter was hand-picked to help lobby a federal government regulator for course accreditations worth potentially millions of dollars on the basis of her “merit” as a student, a prestigious Sydney design college has confirmed.

from https://newmatilda.com/2014/05/24/frances-abbott-chosen-%E2%80%98-merit%E2%80%99-help-lobby-fed-govt-regulators

D.Lo

Yeah, it's more colour really. 'Rich powerful fucks and their families get additional free shit, while the disadvantaged get nothing'.

Kinda like the old Mitt Romney 'why don't poor people just buy more money' gag, shows him and his family don't even understand hardship because of boys-club deals.

But Frances 'is self-made and was awarded based on merit' is what she's told. 'Why don't poor people just get more scholarships that don't exist for the unconnected?'.

...or the thick plottens I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom