• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Back to the topic at hand.
BxxSZbXCEAAQzeg.png:large

senahorse

That's fake, right? I can't tell any more.

I just walked out to the lunch room and had a look, unfortunately that's real. Now considering the origin of that photo was GWB and the mission was essentially a complete failure I don't know what the Courier Mail is going for here.

jgminto

I just walked out to the lunch room and had a look, unfortunately that's real. Now considering the origin of that photo was GWB and the mission was essentially a complete failure I don't know what the Courier Mail is going for here.

That's what I was thinking. Is there some pissed off staff at the Courier Mail who's pissed about the tripe they have to put together so they did this? Or are they just idiots?

senahorse

Somewhat less boat related, maybe not even directly political, but I thought this might be interesting. ABS figures on employment per industry: http://media.crikey.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Workforce-breakdown-Aug-2014.pdf

The manufacturing section is very telling, more than halved in the last 20 years.

That's what I was thinking. Is there some pissed off staff at the Courier Mail who's pissed about the tripe they have to put together so they did this? Or are they just idiots?

3980754-8787229048-BH8VO.jpg

Fucking hell at the news about the raids today. If those plans were for real then I hope they throw the book at them.

Upvoted comments on all Murdoch paper social media articles about how they should be beheaded.

... Y'know, before they're even convicted.

Who's the real terrorists here?

Exactly. I want to see evidence, and a conviction. Only once they pass the system and are deemed as so, then I'll want justice. So far the reports of plans to drape random people in IS flags and behead them are horrific.

(Just reread my post and I realise it can be implied that *I'm* the one that upvoted them. I didn't. They're at the top because of the majority of Murdoch rag readers.)

r1chard

What on Earth does "Professional, Scientific & Technical" cover? I'm pretty comfortable with the scientific bit, but the others are very broad...

Also, thanks for the graphage, x3n05

Edit. And geez, while mining and agriculture have halved - that mining graph. Barely even moved in any real sense. I for one am glad we're putting all our eggs in that basket. Why the hell is the government taking money *out* of science, given it's the only sector to actually double?! Well science and whatever the rest of "professional and technical" cover...

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Upvoted comments on all Murdoch paper social media articles about how they should be beheaded.

... Y'know, before they're even convicted.

Who's the real terrorists here?

A while back the ABC did a special report on the development of these sorts of extreme views related to the spread of Islam in Australia. They didn't have to look far to find all the examples one would expect; harassment by street gangs, loitering around schools and intimidating students because they follow the "wrong" religion, stalking and even recording women on public transport because of what they were wearing, propaganda videos with footage from recent conflicts in the ME on youtube, facebook etc...

Of course none of the right wing nationalists engaging in these sorts of activities could see the similarities to radical Islam.

Quasar

Have to admit I continue to have trouble seeing these raids as anything other that Team Australia security theatre.

Though obviously one with dire consequences for the people involved.

Dead Man

A while back the ABC did a special report on the development of these sorts of extreme views related to the spread of Islam in Australia. They didn't have to look far to find all the examples one would expect; harassment by street gangs, loitering around schools and intimidating students because they follow the "wrong" religion, stalking and even recording women on public transport because of what they were wearing, propaganda videos with footage from recent conflicts in the ME on youtube, facebook etc...

Of course none of the right wing nationalists engaging in these sorts of activities could see the similarities to radical Islam.

I couldn't tell if you were talking about the Islamic people or the right wing nutters until I got to the end.

Have to admit I continue to have trouble seeing these raids as anything other that Team Australia security theatre.

It's unfortunate that these psychotic religious extremists are enabling the psychotic religious extremists politicians.

Quasar

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-18/key-senator-accuses-spies-of-creating-moral-panic/5753232

A key Senate crossbencher has accused Australia's intelligence agencies of creating "moral panic" and is worried new national security laws will allow ASIO to torture people.

Liberal Democratic Party Senator David Leyonhjelm said the laws, which are due to come before Parliament soon, allow for barbaric interrogation techniques.

"I mean torture and I am not kidding," Senator Leyonhjelm said.

"So there is a provision in this act which says ASIO agents, and those authorised by ASIO, can do anything except murder, serious assault or sexual offence.

"If you have interrogation which involves, say, temperature extremes, sensory bombardment, sensory deprivation, sleep deprivation, drugs, water boarding, physical torture techniques that [are] short of causing death or serious injury ... they could all be used with impunity."

Follow all the latest developments on today's terrorism raids on our live blog.
Senator Leyonhjelm has long been opposed to giving intelligence agencies greater powers.

He told The World Today he is not "against" today's terror raids in Sydney and Brisbane but does think the nation's spies have created a "moral panic" to push their agenda.

"I do blame the agencies for it. They have convinced the Government," he said.

"The agencies already have a lot of power, they can question people in secret ... there are already very strict laws against violent crime.

"Why do they need more?"

Senator Leyonhjelm is one of the crossbenchers the Abbott Government needs to pass contentious pieces of legislation.

If the national security laws pass in their current form, he claims he will no longer give the Abbott Government "the benefit of the doubt" on other bills.

"Since the first of July when I became a senator I have tended to give the Government the benefit of the doubt," he said.

"More often than not I think the Government has the mandate and unless [bills] are totally offensive to my libertarian principles ... I've tended to vote with them.

"I have to say a Government that thinks it's OK to authorise torture worries me a great deal and I would reconsider that attitude."

Oh yay. What perfect timing.

Yagharek

Exactly. I want to see evidence, and a conviction. Only once they pass the system and are deemed as so, then I'll want justice. So far the reports of plans to drape random people in IS flags and behead them are horrific.

(Just reread my post and I realise it can be implied that *I'm* the one that upvoted them. I didn't. They're at the top because of the majority of Murdoch rag readers.)

I didn't misread your original comment, I knew what you meant and assume you are not a News Ltd comments writer/upvoter.

I disagree with the death penalty, but I don't think people clamouring for the death penalty are terrorists as your post implied. I just think they're right-wing reactionary dumb-dumbs.

I'm worried that the consequences of this plot will be more justification of the invasion of privacy of law abiding citizens under the guise of "national security". I'm glad they stopped the alleged plans from going ahead (no pun intended), but I don't like the probable outcomes this is going to have for everyone else.

Today's news events must have made for a right wing wonderland amongst those who want to fight fire with fire. Especially the opinionated columnists. Let's see how far they try and push things this time a la Alan Jones and the race riots.

Cross post from the other thread:

the criminals should be executed
Woah now, this a civilised country with a body of laws. Should they be found guilty in court, I'm sure a lengthy imprisonment should suffice in terms of justice.

One of the raids took place right around the corner to where I used to live (there were raids in Brisbane too, I expect due to the upcoming G20 meeting). I must have driven past that house hundreds of times. I'd be very interested in seeing just what was going on in there.

I have a few concerns about this, quite apart from the possibility of getting stabbed, beheaded or worse by someone who lives in my neighbourhood.

The first is that because no attacks were actually carried out, it might be difficult to charge them with any actual crime, especially the lower-level guys where it may not be possible to prove intent. A dude collecting knives in his house is very suspicious, frightening even, but not illegal. Some of these guys, despite every intention of carrying out murders in public, may have to walk free.

The second is whether this was an overreaction by federal police to a non-threat. I'm less concerned about this as it'll all shake out in court, but it will mean some very angry young Muslims will be feeling rather marginalised and persecuted if it all turns out to be nothing.

The third is the Australian public and the political class's reaction to this. Stuff like this is always followed by calls to crack down and be tough, the temptation being to restrict civil liberties in the name of making us safer. Foreign policy wise, we're at the US's beck and call (in the event of a real war on Australian soil, we're pretty much doomed without American help) and I'd hate to see us goose-step our way toward becoming a police state.

Quasar

I'm worried that the consequences of this plot will be more justification of the invasion of privacy of law abiding citizens under the guise of "national security". I'm glad they stopped the alleged plans from going ahead (no pun intended), but I don't like the probable outcomes this is going to have for everyone else.

Today's news events must have made for a right wing wonderland amongst those who want to fight fire with fire. Especially the opinionated columnists. Let's see how far they try and push things this time a la Alan Jones and the race riots.

Well Cory the nutjob is already back out there calling for a burka ban again. And yeah, I fear whats spewing out of talkback radio right about now. Will also be interesting to see if the protests grow and what impact that has.

bomma_man

Funny that the 'Liberal' party (especially its QLD branch) seems to have so little respect for liberal institutions. It's almost like they're actually plutocratic/authoritarian conservatives! Wouldn't look so good on a bumper sticker though.

Myansie

It took 800 cops to arrest 4 people. Was there an option not to find anyone thinking bad thoughts?

Just last month a farmer murdered his three kids, wife and then committed suicide. The reasons are thought to be driven by financial desperation. Worst than a beheading and very likely preventable.

We are now going to spend an extra $400 million dollars a year fighting a 'mission' in Iraq. Money leaving our country.

The details of 'Operation Sovereign Borders' have been released alongside the raids to cool criticism. It also shows the PM's office knew about the raids and decided to go public on both.

Which also means he knew the timing would cut short his time in Arnhem land. The raids would have been planned well in advance. Fobbing off the Aborigines to fight a propaganda war they don't care about, the priorities of the indigenous affairs minister.

Dryk

Which also means he knew the timing would cut short his time in Arnhem land. The raids would have been planned well in advance. Fobbing off the Aborigines to fight a propaganda war they don't care about, the priorities of the indigenous affairs minister.
That's actually a really good point, how did I not realise that

Yagharek

Just last month a farmer murdered his three kids, wife and then committed suicide. The reasons are thought to be driven by financial desperation. Worst than a beheading and very likely preventable.

This is why I refuse to be afraid of terrorists and governments that would use their threats to ensure the populace is "alert, not alarmed". Politics of fear from both sides (albeit with different methods).

More people die in more tragic circumstances thanks to:
1. Institutional abuse and cover-ups that go all the way to the top (churches, UK establishment)
2. Victims of economic fraud (global financial crisis, farmers driven off the land due to the coles/woolworths cattle making it uneconomical).
3. War on welfare recipients, making life unliveable for many people with disabilities, acquired or otherwise, physical or mental, who cannot make steps to get independence and appropriate care.
4. Indigenous poverty.
5. Returned veterans and/or their families who are ignored despite risking life and limb and sanity for nationalistic goals.

But as soon as someone threatens to cut a head off, instant response because its a relatively easy problem to tackle. Meanwhile, thousands of others die because of issues that are ignored and have been for years.

markot

Banned
It took 800 cops to arrest 4 people. Was there an option not to find anyone thinking bad thoughts?

We are now going to spend an extra $400 million dollars a year fighting a 'mission' in Iraq. Money leaving our country.

The details of 'Operation Sovereign Borders' have been released alongside the raids to cool criticism. It also shows the PM's office knew about the raids and decided to go public on both.

You are pretty terrible. You forgot to mention Haliburton.

Dryk

Up your game terrorists, Team Australia's racking up more damage than you are

A police officer is recovering after being attacked with a molotov cocktail and set on fire near Canberra Airport on Friday.

The incident ended in dramatic circumstances when Burnett was hit by a taser and arrested.

The officer was taken to hospital for treatment but escaped serious injury.

Burnett has been charged with acts of endangering life, act to cause public alarm and possess a knife without reasonable excuse.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-20/police-officer-set-on-fire-in-molotov-cocktail-attack/5757700

Dryk

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Telling women what they can't wear is not a good solution to people telling them what they can wear.

Also in principle allowing legal sections of sharia law is fine as long as it takes the form of arbitration.

Fredescu

Yeah, it's weird that out of the all the ways you could say it, the most confusing phrasing has ended up as the most widely used one.

bomma_man

Ive never understood that saying. If I have cake, I have it because I intend to eat it.

It means that you can either have your cake (ie keep it) or eat it. You can't eat a cake while also keeping it (presumably for future consumption). It's a pretty confusing phrase though, and that's before you take into account that fact that in the right context 'have' can be synonymous with 'eat'.

You can't export your coal and use it too.
You can't turn back boats and be humanitarian too.
You can't have budget cuts and have functioning basic services too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom